Last Updated on
You know that if your product is so good The New York Times is endorsing it, then you’ve really got a good thing going.
And where the Newton Baby Mattress is concerned, that’s exactly what the brand has every right to brag about. According to their website, the newspaper called their mattresses “highly breathable” and when you look for a good baby mattress for your infant, that’s certainly an important quality for it to have.
Of course, it should also be comfortable, washable, and hypoallergenic, but the Newton Baby Mattress has things covered in those areas too.
- 1 What is the Newton Baby Mattress made of?
- 2 Newton Baby Mattress Alternatives
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions About Newton Baby Mattress
- 4 Final Thoughts: Is the Newton Baby Mattress Worth it?
What is the Newton Baby Mattress made of?
Designed to fit most standard sized cribs, the mattress is made of a Wovenaire core, which is 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer.
The materials are made to give your baby the comfort of foam and spring coiled mattresses but without any of the added strain or eventual drawbacks that those materials tend to bring.
The outer core, which can be zipped off and washed, is made of breathable fabric that’s soft enough to provide your baby with a comfortable nap and nighttime sleep each day.
Since a lot of baby cribs tend to be the kind that eventually converts to toddler beds, the Newton Baby Mattress gets that and is designed to last your baby through that transitional period and remain comfortable enough for them as they become a toddler. But since the mattress is overall very breathable, you’ll be getting a safe and reliable mattress to give your baby comfort and you peace of mind.
Key Newtown Baby Mattress Features
- Baby’s health first: It has a breathable and removable mattress cover that also comes in a variety of colors, so you aren’t stuck with the classic white.
- The mattress itself is made from hypoallergenic materials and firm enough for your baby while remaining soft enough for your growing toddler.
- The way the mattress fibers are woven together makes it made up of 90% air, which is where the breathable aspect comes from.
- It’s designed to fit your standard sized baby crib.
Newton Baby Mattress Pros
- Since there are no latex, glue, or springs involved in the making of the mattress, it’s 100% recyclable.
- You can have sound peace of mind that your infant will be safe sleeping on a breathable mattress.
- It’s easy to clean the mattress and cover in case your baby has any accidents, but also to keep it hygienic over time.
- It’s also lightweight enough to easily change the sheets or take out of the crib when needed.
- The breathable material helps baby temperature regulation so they don’t get too hot or cold
Newton Baby Mattress Cons
- At $300, the Newton Baby Mattress might be a little pricey for some parents. Check out the latest prices and discounts here.
- Since every baby is different, there’s no guarantee that your little one will take to the mattress as easily as other babies.
- You will more than likely need to purchase a separate sheet, despite the mattress cover being made of a soft quilted material that can sometimes feel rough on an infant’s skin.
Newton Baby Mattress Alternatives
Here are a few alternatives that you might want to try as well!
Moonlight Slumber Little Star Dual Firmness Crib Mattress
The Moonlight Slumber Little Star Dual Firmness Crib Mattress is another one that’s hypoallergenic and made without any harsh chemicals and certainly no Halogens, Tris, Nanoparticles, PVC, Vinyl, PBDE, PBB, Phthalates, Phosphorus, Arsenic, Antimony, or Chlorine.
It also has two sides that are both designed a little differently from the other, since the firm plant-infused foam is on the infant side and the toddler side is made of a soft synthetic latex foam. Both options allow for maximum comfort for your baby as he or she grows into a toddler.
The mattress cover is made of medical grade fabric that helps prevent ticks and bedbugs, and that alone is a big bonus since no one wants their baby’s crib to be riddle with such infestations.
And being five inches deep, there’s little doubt that the mattress will be able to last your baby long into toddlerhood and for the duration of the time he or she needs to use their crib. On Amazon, the Moonlight Slumber Little Star Dual Firmness Crib Mattress is $269.
- Having the two sides each represent the comfort needed for a baby and toddler means that you really can use the mattress for years.
- It’s made free of chemicals and harsh agents and being organic, it’s designed to prevent allergic reactions in most babies.
- The zip-off cover can be easily washed in a machine.
- Since it’s made of foam material all the way through, there’s no chance of spring coils ever poking through and making things uncomfortable or lumpy for your little one.
- Some babies might find the mattress to be a little too firm.
- Since the mattress is made almost entirely of foam, there isn’t as much support as some other baby mattresses.
- Likewise, because of the foam, the support might not be as strong as it could be.
Lullaby Earth Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress
When it comes to the Lullaby Earth Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress, there is a complex formula for getting it just right. They start with a firm crib mattress and then add a breathable and cool mattress pad on top of that to not only keep your baby from overheating throughout the night but to also give them a breathable mattress overall.
The mattress pad can be washed in a machine in case of any accidents, and the mattress is still totally functional without it. So if you forget to put it in the dryer close to bedtime, you can still safely lay your baby in the crib, sans mattress pad. And like similar crib mattresses, the Lullaby Earth Breeze offers one side that’s firmer for your infant and a softer side for your toddler when the time comes. It’s also made free of any harsh chemicals and has no polyurethane foam, antibacterial biocides, or GMOs, making it overall safe and comfortable for your baby to use right from the start. On Amazon, the Lullaby Earth Breeze is $279. Check out the latest prices here.
- It’s made without flame retardants, which means no added chemicals that can be harmful to your baby or cause allergic reactions.
- With the purchase of the mattress, you get a lifetime limited warranty.
- The mattress itself is under 10 pounds, so changing the mattress pad and switching out sheets should be fairly easy each time.
- You can turn it over once your baby has moved out of the infancy stage to continue to give him or her comfort.
- The waterproof layer on the outside of the mattress may be a little loud for some.
- On the manufacturer’s website, the mattress is on backorder until February 2018.
- The firm side might be a little too firm, though that will depend on your baby since each is different.
Emily Crib Mattress By Green Mattress
What is probably the most noteworthy aspect of the Emily Crib Mattress is the fact that it’s been Greenguard Gold certified, which means that it has passed the test of being low on chemical emissions? In fact, the mattress is made of mostly natural materials, including organic cotton and wool, which are layered over an innerspring in the mattress.
While it doesn’t offer an infant and toddler side option, you can flip it over and utilize the other side, as opposed to just one side being padded and designed for use by your infant or toddler. The wool used in the mattress is naturally resistant to dust mites, mold, and mildew, and when you have a mattress that might see more spills or accidents than you’re immediately aware of, that’s definitely a plus. It’s not made with any flame retardant chemicals, but the wool in the mattress cover is a natural flame barrier that can pass flame testing required for infant mattresses. On Amazon, the Emily Crib Mattress is $249. Check out the latest prices and discounts here
- While some parents may not prefer any coiled in their infant’s mattress, they do lend a certain firmness that can’t be easily replicated.
- You can have major peace of mind knowing that the Emily Crib Mattress is made from organic and safe materials for your little one.
- Overall, it’s very soft and comfortable to promote longer naps and sleeping through the night.
- Some parents or even babies might notice a strong smell that comes naturally from the wool in the mattress cover.
- Both sides of the mattress have the same feel, so there’s no way to give your baby a firmer side or your toddler a softer side of the mattress.
- To some, it might feel or look bigger and bulkier than the average crib mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions About Newton Baby Mattress
Here are some of the common questions that we receive regarding the Newton Baby Mattress:
What is a breathable mattress?
A breathable crib mattress works by allowing air to circulate through the mattress top and just below the surface of the mattress.
What’s the difference between Newton Classic vs Newton Waterproof?
Because most “breathable” mattresses are also porous to liquids, Newton created an industry leading waterproof cover on their waterproof version here. It offers the same “breathability” discussed above, but will not allow liquids to seep through.
Is the Newton Mattress safe?
Safe is a relative term, but Newton has taken many steps to improve on the safety of traditional crib mattresses. Namely, their breathable mattresses help combat SIDS, the material is hypoallergenic, organic and non-toxic (eco-friendly mattress with no toxic chemicals).
Is the Newton Mattress machine washable?
Yes, you simply remove the zip off cover and machine wash like you would other baby linens.
Final Thoughts: Is the Newton Baby Mattress Worth it?
When it comes down to it, you may be forced to try more than one crib mattress before you find the one that truly works for you.
But when you compare the Newton Baby Mattress to some others, you can easily see the value in its breathable design and the longevity it offers in being able to use it for a long time with minimal wear on it.
Your mother-in-law might insist that you just take the same mattress she used for all three of her now-adult children when they were infants, but do yourself (and your baby) a huge favor and consider the Newton Baby Mattress first. Everyone will get a better night’s sleep!
Bottom Line: You CAN find cheaper baby mattresses out there, but I LOVE the Newtown Baby Mattress line. This is one of those times where it makes sense to spend a bit more for a high-quality mattress. Note: Newton is offering customers to try it for 100 days or your money back here.
Further Reading on Baby Sleep
- Best Organic Crib Mattresses
- Baby Mattress and Crib Recalls
- Best Cribs for Shorter Moms
- Best Baby Cribs for Travel
- Crib vs Bassinet: Which to Go With?
- Find the Best Pack n Play