You know that if your product is so good The New York Times is endorsing it, then you’ve really got a good thing going. And where the Newton Baby Mattress is concerned, that’s exactly what the brand has every right to brag about.
According to their website, the newspaper called their mattresses “highly breathable” and when you look for a good baby mattress for your infant (lasting through the toddler years), that’s certainly an important quality for it to have. Of course, it should also be comfortable, washable, and hypoallergenic, but the Newton Baby Mattress (actually rated up to toddler mattress) has things covered in those areas too.
Jump to a specific section
What Is the Newton Baby Mattress Made of?
Designed to fit most standard-sized cribs, the mattress is made of a Wovenaire core, which is 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer. The materials are made to give your baby the comfort of a foam mattress and spring coiled mattresses but without any of the added strain or eventual drawbacks that those materials tend to bring.
The outer mattress core, which can be zipped off and washed (or washed down with a damp cloth), is made of breathable fabric that’s soft enough to provide your baby with a comfortable nap and nighttime sleep each day.
Since a lot of baby cribs tend to be the kind that eventually converts to toddler beds, the Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress gets that and is designed to last your baby through that transitional period and remain comfortable enough for them as they become a toddler. But since the mattress is overall very breathable, you’ll be getting a safe and reliable mattress to give your baby comfort and you peace of mind.
Key Newtown Baby Mattress Features
- Baby’s health first: It has a breathable and removable mattress cover (mattress protector) that also comes in a variety of colors, so you aren’t stuck with the classic white.
- The infant mattress itself is made from hypoallergenic materials and firm enough for your baby while remaining soft enough for your growing toddler.
- The way the mattress fibers are woven together makes it made up of 90% air, which is where the breathable aspect comes from.
- It’s designed to fit your standard-sized baby crib.
Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress Pros
- Since there are no latex, glue, or springs involved in the making of the mattress, it’s 100% recyclable.
- You can have sound peace of mind that your infant will be safe sleeping on a breathable mattress.
- It’s easy to clean the mattress and cover in case your baby has any accidents, but also to keep it hygienic over time.
- It’s also lightweight enough to easily change the sheets or take out of the crib when needed.
- The breathable material helps baby temperature regulation so they don’t get too hot or cold.
Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress Cons
- At $300, the Newton Baby Mattress might be a little pricey for some parents. Check out the latest prices and discounts here.
- Since every baby is different, there’s no guarantee that your little one will take to the mattress as easily as other babies.
- You will more than likely need to purchase a separate sheet, despite the mattress cover being made of a soft quilted material that can sometimes feel rough on an infant’s skin.
Newton Original vs Waterproof
One question I get is on the difference between the Newton Original mattress vs Waterproof version. What’s the difference?
Well, the confusion is that the Newton Original IS actually water-resistant, which means it can protect the mattress from wet diapers and drips here and there.
That said, water resistant isn’t the same as waterproof (for those bigger accidents or cleanups). The Newton Waterproof is a 2-stage design that layers on a waterproofing element right below the breathable layer. This makes it ideal for the later toddler years (1.5 years+), vs the early infant years where water resistance is more than capable.
Newton Crib Mattress Alternatives
Here are a few alternatives that you might want to try as well!
Brentwood Wildfern 2-Stage Natural Crib Mattress
Brentwood makes a wide variety of traditional mattresses, but their organic crib baby’s mattress collection is truly a hidden gem.
Based in Los Angeles, Brentwood makes all their products in the USA and still manages to sell at a competitive price. Personally, this gives me a LOT of comfort knowing that they can better verify their supply chain in the US (vs China, Vietnam, etc.. for other “so-called” organic mattress brands).
Brentwood Wildfern Advantages
- All-natural Organic materials
- Made 100% in the USA (verified supply chain, how can other brands really ensure foreign supply chain quality?)
- Additional flammability protections using hydrated silica, exceeding Federal flammability and CPSC standards.
- 100% plant-based materials
- Hypoallergenic and anti-microbial
- Hand-crafted in Los Angeles
Brentwood Wildfern Disadvantages
- Hasn’t been featured in major publications
- Easy to miss among Brentwood’s traditional mattress selections
- No free trial guarantee (although they do have a good return policy)
FULL DISCLOSURE: We also ended up going with this Wildfern mattress for our #3 kiddo because it was 1) VERIFIED 100% made in the USA (in Los Angeles), 2) had additional flammability protections (exceeding standards – despite also being Organic) and 3) provided all the same benefits BUT the Brentwood models clock in at about 10-20% less expensive. As such, it’s our best alternative choice here.
Naturepedic Organic Quilted & Breathable Series
Naturepedic is another high-quality mattress brand we STRONGLY considered over the Newton Baby Mattress. In fact, depending on the latest prices and deals, Naturepedic is a great substitute for Newton Baby.
Naturepedic Crib Mattress Advantages
- 100% Organic construction
- Extremely waterproof
- Double-sided mattress
- Seamless edges and corners
- Naturepedic no compromise guarantee
Naturepedic Crib Mattress Disadvantages
- A bit more expensive (depending on the model) than Newton Baby.
- No featured press coverage or awards (yet)
- No free trial guarantee
Emily Crib Mattress By Green Mattress
What is probably the most noteworthy aspect of the Emily Crib Mattress is the fact that it’s been Greenguard Gold certified, which means that it has passed the test of being low on chemical emissions? In fact, the mattress is made of mostly natural materials, including organic cotton and wool, which are layered over an innerspring in the mattress (a more traditional innerspring mattress).
While it doesn’t offer an infant and toddler side option, you can flip it over and utilize the other side, as opposed to just one side being padded and designed for use by your infant or toddler.
The wool used in the mattress is naturally resistant to dust mite, mold, and mildew, and when you have a mattress that might see more spills or accidents than you’re immediately aware of, that’s definitely a plus. It’s not made with any flame retardant chemicals, but the wool in the mattress cover crib sheet is a natural flame barrier that can pass flame testing required for infant mattresses.
Where to Buy: You can pick up the Emily Crib Mattress directly from MyGreenMattress.com here. This is the best option for direct customer support and service.
Emily Baby Crib Mattress Advantages
- While some parents may not prefer any coiled in their infant’s mattress, they do lend a certain firmness that can’t be easily replicated.
- You can have major peace of mind knowing that the Emily Crib Mattress is made from organic and safe materials for your little one (safe sleep).
- Overall, it’s very soft and comfortable to promote longer naps and and a good night’s sleep.
Emily Baby Crib Mattress Disadvantages
- Some parents or even babies might notice a strong smell that comes naturally from the wool in the mattress cover.
- Both sides of the mattress have the same feel, so there’s no way to give your baby a firmer side or your toddler a softer side of the mattress.
- To some, it might feel or look bigger and bulkier than the average crib mattress.
Moonlight Slumber Little Star Dual Firmness Crib Mattress
The Moonlight Slumber Little Star Dual Firmness Crib Mattress is another one that’s hypoallergenic and made without any harsh and harmful chemicals and certainly no Halogens, Tris, Nanoparticles, PVC, Vinyl cover, PBDE, PBB, Phthalates, Phosphorus, Arsenic, Antimony, or Chlorine.
It also has two sides that are both designed a little differently from the other, since this firm mattress is plant-infused eco-friendly foam on the infant side and the toddler side is made of soft synthetic latex foam. Both options allow for maximum comfort for your baby as he or she grows into a toddler (no need for memory foam).
The mattress cover is made of medical-grade fabric that helps prevent ticks and bedbugs, and that alone is a big bonus since no one wants their baby’s crib to be riddle with such infestations. And being five inches deep, there’s little doubt that this foam crib mattress will be able to last your baby long into toddlerhood and for the duration of the time he or she needs to use their crib.
Moonlight Slumber Advantages
- Having the two sides each represent the comfort needed for a baby and toddler means that you really can use the mattress for years.
- It’s made free of chemicals and harsh agents and being organic (organic crib mattress), it’s designed to prevent allergic reactions in most babies.
- The zip-off cotton cover can be easily washed in a machine.
- Since it’s made of high-density foam material all the way through, there’s no chance of spring coils ever poking through and making things uncomfortable or lumpy for your little one.
Moonlight Slumber Disadvantages
- Some babies might find the mattress to be a little too firm.
- Since the mattress is made almost entirely of foam, there isn’t as much support as some other baby mattresses.
- Likewise, because of the foam, the support might not be as strong as it could be.
Lullaby Earth Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress
When it comes to the Lullaby Earth Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress, there is a complex formula for getting it just right. They start with a firm crib mattress and then add a breathable and cool mattress pad on top of that to not only keep your baby from overheating throughout the night but to also give them a breathable mattress overall.
The mattress pad can be washed in a machine in case of any accidents, and the mattress is still totally functional without it. So if you forget to put it in the dryer close to bedtime, you can still safely lay your baby in the crib or bed, sans a mattress pad.
And like similar crib mattresses, the Lullaby Earth Breeze offers one side that’s firmer for your infant and a softer side for your toddler when the time comes for a toddler bed. It’s also made free of any harsh chemicals and has no polyurethane foam, antibacterial biocides, or GMOs, making it overall safe and comfortable for your baby to use right from the start.
- It’s made without flame retardants, which means no added chemicals that can be harmful to your baby or cause allergic reactions.
- With the purchase of the mattress, you get a lifetime limited warranty.
- The mattress itself is under 10 pounds, so changing the mattress pad and switching out sheets should be fairly easy each time.
- You can turn it over once your baby has moved out of the infancy stage to continue to give him or her comfort.
- The waterproof layer on the outside of the mattress may be a little loud for some.
- On the manufacturer’s website, the mattress is on backorder until February 2018.
- The firm side might be a little too firm, though that will depend on your baby since each is different.
Lullaby Earth breathable crib mattresses provides 97% more air while breathing through the sleep surface than traditional crib mattresses according to independent tests. Our practical approach to breathability is effective without sacrificing hygiene.
Here are some of the common questions that we receive regarding the Newton Baby Mattress:
Answer: A breathable baby crib mattress works by allowing air to circulate through the mattress top and just below the surface of the mattress.
Answer: Because most “breathable” mattresses are also porous to liquids, Newton created an industry-leading waterproof cover on their waterproof mattress version here. It offers the same “breathability” discussed above, but will not allow liquids to seep through.
Answer: Safe is a relative term, but Newton has taken many steps to improve the safety of traditional crib mattresses. Namely, their breathable mattresses help combat SIDS (and suffocation-related accidents), the material is hypoallergenic, organic, and non-toxic (eco-friendly mattress with no toxic chemicals).
Answer: Yes, you simply remove the zip off cover and machine wash like you would other baby linens.
Final Thoughts: Is the Newton Baby Mattress Worth it?
When it comes down to it, you may be forced to try more than one crib mattress before you find the one that truly works for you.
But when you compare the Newton Baby Mattress to some other mattresses, you can easily see the value in its breathable crib mattress design (industry-leading breathability) and the longevity it offers in being able to use it for a long time with minimal wear on it.
Your mother-in-law might insist that you just take the same mattress she used for all three of her now-adult children when they were infants, but do yourself (and your baby) a huge favor and consider the Newton Wovenaire Mattress first. Everyone will get a better night’s sleep and sleep safely!
Further Reading on Baby Sleep
- Best Twin Mattresses for Kids and Toddlers
- Best Organic Baby Crib Mattresses
- Baby Mattress and Crib Recalls
- Best Cribs for Shorter Moms
- Best Baby Cribs for Travel
- Crib vs Bassinet: Which to Go With?
- Find the Best Pack n Play
- Emily Natural Crib Mattress Review: Is It Right For You and Your Baby?
- Newton vs Naturepedic Crib Mattress: Which One is Better for your Baby?
- Naturepedic vs Lullaby Earth Crib Mattress Comparison