Last Updated on
Every stage that comes with the toddler years in a child’s life is an adventure for the parents.
And graduating to a “big kid” bed is certainly part of that. But it also means that the simple crib mattress won’t cut it forever and picking out the best twin toddler mattress is a lot more than choosing the cheapest or easiest option available.
Of course, value plays a large role, but so do comfort and versatility as well. Almost as important as the bed itself, the top choice for a twin toddler mattress is part of a little one’s steps into semi-independence.
The mattress will also likely be with them much longer than their crib was, so picking out the best one is crucial.
The top four best toddler twin mattresses on this list are all about the most important aspects of what they should be, including value, comfort, and longevity since the mattress is meant to last a toddler a long time, potentially years into their childhood.
Whether or not the toddler is ready for the big leap is up to the parents, but it still stands to reason that choosing the best twin toddler mattress carefully is a process.
Luckily, this top 8 list of the best twin toddler mattresses will to complete your toddler bed (and provide a good night’s sleep for toddler and parents alike!).
- 1 1. Best Twin Mattress Pad: Newton Baby Mattress Pad [Updated Pick for 2020]
- 2 2. Best True Twin: Brentwood Home Juniper Mattress
- 3 3. Naturepedic Quilted Organic Deluxe Mattress
- 4 4. Best Overall Runner-Up: DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams
- 5 5. Best Airflow: Perfect Cloud
- 6 6. Best Spring: Zinus Hybrid Green Tea Foam and Spring Mattress
- 7 7. Best Budget: Signature Sleep Contour
- 8 8. InnerSpring Mattress by Linenspa
- 9 Comparison Table
- 10 FAQ About Twin Toddler Mattresses
- 11 Final Thoughts on the Best Twin Mattress for Toddlers
1. Best Twin Mattress Pad: Newton Baby Mattress Pad [Updated Pick for 2020]
I’ll admit that I hadn’t heard about Newton until AFTER I published this initial article. Boy was I missing out!
One of my worse nightmares as a parent is exposing our kids to toxic materials and SIDs (sudden infant death syndrome). Finally, there’s a mattresses that addresses BOTH of these concerns in one go when it coems to bed mattress pads.
Here’s Why I love it, as covered in my stand-alone Newton Crib Mattress Review:
- Baby’s health first: It has a breathable and removable twin mattress cover that also comes in a variety of colors, so you aren’t stuck with the classic white.
- The mattress itself is made from hypoallergenic materials and firm enough for your baby while remaining soft enough for your growing toddler.
- The way the mattress fibers are woven together makes it made up of 90% air, which is where the breathable aspect comes from.
- It’s designed to fit your Twin or Twin XL mattress.
- NOTE: This is the specific listing for the Twin Mattress pad version. Functions more as mattress toppers or pads.
The New York Times even endorsed it as one of the best baby products this year.
2. Best True Twin: Brentwood Home Juniper Mattress
The Juniper Mattress is highly rated for it’s premium high-quality mattress construction and chemical free materials. Here are the key points:
- 100% Organic cotton cover
- 1-inch gel memory foam layer
- Made in the USA (in California)
- Material resistant to dust mites
- Certified CertiPUR-US foams, free of harmful chemical flame retardants, heavy metals, or phthalates.
- Natural Latex free and hypoallergenic
Naturepedic has a stellar reputation for all-natural and organic bedding, including crib mattress, toddler mattresses, and kid mattresses.
The Quilted Organic Deluxe features:
- Durable organic cotton material
- Flippable design (in case one side has a few too many “accidents”)
- Allergen-free design (no latex or soy)
- Medium-firm support
- Passes all Federal and State standards for flammability, without using any fire retardant chemicals or barries (purely due to design and organic PLA batting)
- Optional: organic foundation mattress available
- Optional: pre-sized twin bed frame available
- Ships within 1-week
This mattress comes in a wide variety of sizes, including Twin, Twin-Trundle, Twin XL, and Full size mattress with many different customized twin bed frames available, too (optional).
4. Best Overall Runner-Up: DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams
The 7-inch DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams twin mattress is made with a 6.25 inch core and a .75 inch quilted layer for extra comfort. This firm mattress is designed with firmness in mind and made to relieve the pressure points along the hips, neck, and shoulders. Since buying the right toddler mattress online might seem worrisome to some parents, the DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams twin mattress not only offers a 90-day trial but a five-year warranty on the mattress. That alone is enough peace of mind for some parents to want to try it out, and when it comes to toddlers their needs for the perfect mattress do vary from a parent’s after all.
- Type Of Mattress: The twin mattress is on the firm side, which can be best for some toddlers since most crib mattresses aren’t pillow top or incredibly cushiony and that’s what they’ve been used to up until this point.
- Where To Buy: Parents can find the DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams twin mattress on the manufacturer’s website.
- The Best Part: The best part about the mattress might be the price and the guarantee At just $99, it’s a bargain, even if it doesn’t work out. And if it doesn’t work out, then there is always the 90-day trial to keep in mind.
- The Not So Great: Some parents have complained about the mattress not holding its shape as much, but if used for a toddler or small child, that problem might be limited since they’re much smaller anyway.
- Price: The DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams twin mattress is more affordable for some parents.
5. Best Airflow: Perfect Cloud
The Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max memory foam mattress is described on its website as having “cool & comfortable body-hugging comfort” which makes sense given the material it’s made out of. It starts with a three-inch layer of Signature Gel-Plus Memory Foam and that’s followed up by a three-inch layer of bi-directional Double Air Flow Comfort Foam, and finally a four-inch layer of Double Air Flow HD Base Support Foam.
All of these together are said to provide enough airflow to keep the mattress from feeling too warm or too cool during the night. It also comes with a stretch knit cover that can stay on for comfort or be removed for easy cleaning, which is a feature that could come in handy while dealing with potty training toddlers.
- Type Of Mattress: The mattress is a twin memory foam made with a layer of gel foam as well.
- Where To Buy: The manufacturer’s website for The Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max memory foam mattress will direct buyers to their Amazon page, where the mattress can be purchased with free shipping.
- The Best Part: The obvious comfort of the memory foam mattress will likely be long lasting for toddlers to enjoy as they grow older without the worry of a possibly sagging twin mattress somewhere down the line.
- The Not So Great: Even though it’s made of memory foam, the comfort level could vary for people and for some, the mattress might feel even too firm.
- Price: The Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max memory foam twin mattress can be found on Amazon for $289.
6. Best Spring: Zinus Hybrid Green Tea Foam and Spring Mattress
The Zinus Hybrid mattress is another memory foam option for a twin toddler mattress and is made of 2.5 inches of Zinus Memory Foam, 2 inches of Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam (natural pressure relief and spinal alignment), and 5.5 inches of Airflow High-density Base Support Foam.
But more than that, it’s also infused with green tea extracts to keep the mattress fresh, which is once again a good feature in a toddler mattress. As children get older they have fewer accidents, but a number of bedtime accidents at the beginning of the toddler years is still hard to ignore. Aside from the actual materials, the mattress also comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- Type Of Mattress: The Zinus mattress is a memory foam style, but also made with some coiled spring, with the green tea extracts mixed in the bedding material.
- Where To Buy: The mattress can be found in twin and other sizes on the manufacturer’s website.
- The Best Part: It’s made of memory foam, but it’s not one of the memory foam mattresses that would have the sleeper sinking into it in an uncomfortable way. Instead, it remains relatively firm, which some toddlers actually prefer.
- The Not So Great: At $180, it might be a gamble for some parents to purchase the mattress online without testing it first.
- Price: On the manufacturer’s website, the Zinus twin size bed can be purchased for $180. Check out the latest prices.
7. Best Budget: Signature Sleep Contour
The Signature Sleep Contour twin mattress Signature Sleep Contour twin mattress can be described as a more conventional mattress, even with the layer of comfort foam on top and bottom of the coiled mattress. But since the layer of foam is on both the top and bottom, it makes the mattress reversible for those who wish to flip it after some time, which most buyers may not be able to find with other mattresses that have built-in toppers. It’s available in a 10-inch or 8-inch mattress and works with a traditional frame and box spring, platform bed, or even trundle bed.
- Type Of Mattress: The Signature Sleep Contour is a coiled mattress with a layer of high-density foam on top.
- Where To Buy: The mattress can be found at a number of retailers, including Toys ‘R Us and Walmart.
- The Best Part: The fact that the Signature Sleep Contour can be flipped and rotated and still have the same features on both sides make the life of the mattress even longer for parents buying it at the toddler age for their children.
- The Not So Great: Since it’s a softer mattress, if it’s used with a frame or platform bed when getting out of bed, the sides might sink down a little, causing the toddler’s legs to hit their frame.
- Price: At Toys ‘R Us, the Signature Sleep Contour is $170 for the twin size.
8. InnerSpring Mattress by Linenspa
The six-inch coiled Innerspring mattress by Linenspa is made with support and comfort in mind. It’s also made with a fire resistant barrier that claims to meet fire safety standards. That doesn’t mean the entire mattress is fireproof necessarily, but it a safety factor that might sit better with some parents and make this mattress a contender for parents choosing one for their toddler. While being made with coils, it’s also relatively short, meaning that it won’t raise too high when used in a bunch bed or platform bed.
- Type Of Mattress: The six-inch mattress is made with coiled springs, but also has a layer of foam and quilted fabric on top for optimum comfort.
- Where To Buy: The Inner Spring mattress can be purchased with free shipping on the LinenSpa website.
- The Best Part: The price of the Inner Spring, along with the fact that it seems to be made with firmness and a layer of softness, make it a value for parents
- The Not So Great: The fact that it’s a relatively thin mattress compared to some others might deter some and raise cause for concern in terms of longevity and comfort.
- Price: Check out the latest prices and discounts here.
|Twin Mattresses for Toddlers||Type of Mattress for Toddlers||Key Features||Price|
|DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams||Firm mattress, which can be best for some toddlers since most crib mattresses aren’t incredibly cushiony||The best part about the mattress might be the price and the guarantee||$99 (Check out the latest price here!)|
|Perfect Cloud||Twin memory foam made with a layer of gel foam as well.||Cool & comfortable body-hugging comfort||$289 (Check out the latest price here!)|
|Zinus Hybrid Green Tea Foam and Spring Mattress||2.5 inches of Memory Foam, 2 inches of Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam, and 5.5 inches of Airflow High-density Base Support Foam||A memory foam that maintains relatively firm||$180 (Check out the latest price here!)|
|Signature Sleep Contour||A coiled mattress with a layer of high-density foam on top.||Long-lasting mattress||$170 (Check out the latest price here!)|
|Inner Spring Mattress by Linenspa||The six-inch mattress is made with coiled springs, but also has a layer of foam and quilted fabric on top for optimum comfort.||Fire resistant barrier that claims to meet fire safety standards||$90 (Check out the latest price here!)|
FAQ About Twin Toddler Mattresses
Parents often ask me what is the right age for a toddler to move out of a crib and into a bed? Like most of parenting, there is no one right answer. I tell parents that most toddlers transition out of the crib between 18 months and 30 months of age. – Dr. Lisa Dana
Generally infants require firm mattresses. As they grow to toddlers, mattresses can be a bit softer, but try to aim for a firmness rating of 36.
Generally a crib mattress lasts for about 3 years. That said, you can stretch out the longevity a bit by flipping the mattress (assuming it’s double-sided).
Final Thoughts on the Best Twin Mattress for Toddlers
Oddly enough, the best thing parents might be able to do for their toddlers when finding the perfect twin toddler mattress is going with something that’s more firm than fluffy.
Of course, comfort is key, but for a toddler, who has likely spent their lives up until this point on firm crib mattresses, the comfort is in the firmness for a good night’s sleep.
They’re also not elderly individuals in need of something more Tempurpedic for their bones or muscles. Instead, it’s about finding what makes them the most comfortable to sleep right now. And for parents, it’s about that and finding what is also economically sound in the long run, without any adverse harmful chemicals (green mattress).
Bottom Line: Even if you find a different mattress, PLEASE consider a breathable and safety centered mattress pad like Newton Baby here.