The benefits of a good night’s sleep cannot be underestimated, especially for babies. It is a crucial part of their healthy growth and development. Therefore, investing in a quality baby crib is an essential buy for new parents. One of its prime components is the mattress, which you often have to purchase separately. New parents may find themselves overwhelmed by the choices and unaware of the differences.
Before we begin, it’s important to understand not all mattresses are built the same. Some differ in quality, others are geared to handle differing concerns.
Each baby will have their own night-time challenges, and as parents, being informed is the best way to cater to their needs. Having a firm and comfortable mattress is a basic requirement, but a good night’s rest is dependent on a few other factors.
This comparison review will focus on building your understanding of Newton and Naturepedic crib mattresses, to help you explore your options. The right fit will present itself through an evaluation of your child’s needs and your lifestyle.
That said, we do present you with the pros, cons and parental ratings to provide you with in-depth information. With that said, let’s dive into the review.
Bottom Line Up Front: We ended up going with the more affordable, flexible and breathable (safe) Newton crib mattress here. That said, the Naturepedic is ALSO a great mattress, just not as flexible in terms of sizes and features.
- 1 Main Differences between Newton vs Naturepedic
- 2 Things to think about when choosing a crib mattress
- 3 Newton vs Naturepedic Crib Mattress – Which is better for your baby?
- 4 Newton Crib Mattress
- 5 Naturepedic Crib Mattress
- 6 The Verdict
- 7 FAQ’s About Baby Mattresses
- 8 Final Thoughts: Naturepedic or Newton Mattress?
Main Differences between Newton vs Naturepedic
The main differences between Newton and Naturepedic are:
- Naturepedic mattresses are waterproof, whereas Newton only has the feature in one of its variety while boasting its washability in others
- Naturepedic has dual firmness level, whereas Newton allows for air-circulation making it a breathable option to protect against SIDS
- Naturepedic provides a firm base with its heavy-duty 150 innerspring coil interior, whereas Newton does not use any foam, spring, glue or latex material
- Naturepedic has only one size, whereas Newton comes in two different sizes
Things to think about when choosing a crib mattress
There is more to mattress buying for infants than just the feel although that’s important in its own right. There are a few other factors that should affect your ultimate purchase from its design, features and, even, the price. Here’s what we recommend checking out to make sure you’re making the correct decision.
Typically, you’ll have two main design differences: foam or innerspring. Both options are considered safe for infants and toddlers; however, they come with some design limitations. Foam offers more variety while being lightweight, but compromises on durability.
On the other hand, innerspring uses coil to add durability, provide edge support and are relatively firm. Innerspring designs may be slightly more expensive but pay off by being more long-lasting.
Newton, however, takes a different approach and uses a patented Wovenaire core which allows its design to be breathable. Choosing between the designs may be a simple matter of preference and what your child is comfortable sleeping on.
As a general convention, soft materials are preferred for children; however, quite the opposite is true for mattresses. Instead, you want a firm mattress to provide structure for healthy development. The firmness also offers comfort by being consistent, unlike softer ones which may indent overtime.
Soft mattresses can also make it difficult for the baby to move about and are less likely to allow air regulation which can lead to suffocation. Therefore, opting for a comfortable, yet firm mattress would be the ideal choice for your infant.
Size and Weight
There are two elements to consider here: the mattress should fit inside your crib and it should be easy enough to move. Whether from accidents or routine cleaning, its maneuverability is going to help you in the long run. As a general rule of thumb, any mattress between the weight of 10 to 20 lbs should work fine for most parents.
Companies can make a lot of claims, but when it comes to babies, these claims are taken seriously. Some mattresses have been known to consist of dangerous or risky chemicals that should be avoided. For this reason, there are organizations responsible for reviewing mattresses for parents and their recommendations should be kept in mind during your research and purchase phase.
As mentioned earlier, chemicals and materials used within the cribs need to be reviewed by parents as well. Does the innerspring look safe and durable enough not to poke out after use? Will the material last long after washes? By understanding the materials used within your mattress, you can maintain it better over the months and years to come.
Depending on the brand and type of mattress, there will be a few unique features being offered. It is important to correspond to those characteristics with your lifestyle and preferences. For example, if you may want to invest in waterproof bedding to avoid any accidents from causing major inconveniences. Thoroughly check out the features of each mattress and its mechanics to understand whether it’ll be the right fit for you.
Lastly, your budget matters. It’s tempting to want the latest, greatest and easiest products on the market for your child; but there’s a lot to buy so use your coin wisely. Bedding is going to be an investment that will last you months regardless. It’s important to weigh out your options and make the best choice from them.
Newton vs Naturepedic Crib Mattress – Which is better for your baby?
Both companies are highly renowned among parental circles; and each user swearing by their mattress. Therefore, it can become a little confusing for buyers to weed out the benefits from among the praise. To help simplify matters, we’re listing down everything you need to know about each product.
Newton Crib Mattresses tackles multifold concerns through its innovative 100% breathable construction. It consists of two components, it’s patented Wovenaire material and a spacer cover. The air-circulation not only reduces the risk of SIDs, it helps regulate the temperature of the mattress while also making it an ideal choice for parents with asthma or other breathing considerations.
Moreover, it is free from any harmful or risky chemicals which can be found in many baby mattresses and is Greenguard Gold certified so parents can rest at ease while using the Newton.
Given the materials used, the mattress is also fully washable. You can simply take its cover off and hose off the plastic bed. You’ll need to let it dry for around 5-8 hours depending on your location and environment, but it’ll be as good as new after that.
Overall, the Newton mattresses are a step apart from others given its breathable and recyclable construction. There is no odor, no hazardous materials and no compromise on comfort. Although it has a hefty price tag, it is built to last for years.
- Constructed from woven food-grade polymer
- Built-in Air-Thru Technology allows circulation to reduce the risk of suffocation or CO2 rebreathing for infants.
- Comes in Washable and Waterproof varieties
- Designed for providing a comfortable sleep to both infants and toddlers while controlling the temperature to prevent overheating.
- Greenguard Gold certified product which contains no foam, latex, glue, springs or allergens.
- 100% recyclable.
- Comes in two sizes: 52″ X 28″ X 4″ and 24” X 38” X 5.5”
- Weighs around 9 (mini) to 11 (standard) pounds.
- High quality 100% washable materials
- Breathable and lightweight construction
- Comfortable and firm for infants and toddlers
- Does not require additional crib sheet
- It comes in two different varieties depending on budget and crib size.
- Covering the mattress with a sheet, unless muslin, will negate its breathability aspects
- It can be expensive and limited in size, especially when looking at the waterproof option.
- Edge support can be improved.
Parents’ popular opinion on Newton Crib Mattress
When it comes to reviews, Newton mattresses have over hundreds of reviews left for it and an overall 4.5-star rating. It’s been rising in popularity among parents for infants and toddlers; here’s what they experienced:
- Many parents have emphasized how the mattress is worth every penny for the high-quality materials being used. It is stated as durable and even a great hand-me-down to transfer to new parents once you’re done using it.
- Others have recommended the bed for infants who prefer sleeping on their faces or have some breathing difficulties to provide them restful and re-energizing sleep at night.
- Parents have also mentioned the peace of mind they experienced knowing their child was sleeping within a comfortable allowing them to promote healthy sleeping routines.
- Its washability has been praised by many reviewers as being a feature that makes their lives easier over the years, adding to both its functionality and durability for buyers.
Has This Product Been Recalled?
No. The Newton Crib Mattress has never been recalled, and it’s safe for use.
Naturepedic is another popular name that many parents swear by. Unlike the Newton, it uses an organic cotton innerspring mattress with around 150 coils for durability and firmness. Internally there are 13 gauge coils and a 9 gauge border to provide edge support for infants. It focuses on providing support for easy and restful night’s sleep.
The mattress boasts a 2-Stage dual firmness wherein one side is optimized for providing comfort to babies while the other is less firm through a cushioned layer for toddlers. Moreover, the mattress is also waterproof enabling easy and convenient cleanup.
Overall, the mattress provides top-notch construction for an organic crib mattress which is free from harsh chemicals. Its durability and comfort will most likely last you a while, especially if you’re planning on having more kids. Being a coil mattress, it ends up being a little pricey, however well worth the investment.
- Uses organic cotton materials for fabric and filling
- Innerspring design
- Free from harmful chemicals, such as latex, soy, phthalates, formaldehyde, allergens and any flame retardants.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Greenguard Gold certified
- The waterproof design prevents moisture from sliding in
- Comes in one size: 6 x 27.8 x 52 inches
- Weighs around 12-20 lbs
- Comfortable, organic material on both sides for an easy transition
- Coil construction provides durability and firmness
- Edge support is a focal point in the design
- No odor
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Is one of the more expensive brands
- Not lightweight
- Susceptible to heat retention
- Only one size
Parents’ popular opinion on Naturepedic Crib Mattress
Naturepedic mattresses have been tried-and-tested by thousands of parents who provide an overall 5-star rating. The most common opinions are as follows:
- Parents suggest Naturepedic was their first choice given the company’s popularity and high-quality construction.
- Another parent was appreciative the mattress was hypoallergenic and made from organic materials which had limited their options.
- Parents were also impressed by its versatility and durability for growing children to develop healthy sleep habits.
- Its waterproof feature has also been noted as providing relief for parents in their day-to-day lives.
Has This Product Been Recalled?
No. This mattress has never been recalled, so it’s safe to be used.
As a parent, you’re likely going to be satisfied with either option. It is important to remember that both mattresses are different in design and the details do set one slightly above the other. Given the value, ease, and durability, our recommendation has to go with Newton Crib Mattress.
Naturepedic provides infants and toddlers with a firm base that is comfortable and structured. Although, due to its weight, it can become slightly troublesome, especially in the late hours of the night. Its durability and design is what justifies its high price tag, but for some, it might be unneeded bonuses.
Therefore, our winner has to be Newton mattresses given exemplifies ease of use with comfort and safety for your infant.
FAQ’s About Baby Mattresses
Newton suggests that the crib has been tested to hold up to 100 pounds of weight enabling their 2-stage functionality.
The bedding structure is made from a food-grade polymer which makes up 10% of the mattress. Its unique webbing means that the bed is made 90% of air. Additionally, it uses only non-toxic, hypoallergenic which are odor-free.
According to Naturepedic, their mattress supports up to 50 pounds of weight approximately so it can easily be used into the child’s toddler years.
Depending on your preference, there is no need to use an additional pad; however, it may be used for added protection. That said, it may curtail some of the breathability aspects of the Naturepedic bedding and caution is advised.
Final Thoughts: Naturepedic or Newton Mattress?
When it comes to a baby crib mattress, you can’t go wrong with Newton or Naturepedic. They are both reputable, Greenguard Gold certified companies with lots of parents highly praising their pick. Evaluate your requirements and your child’s sleeping patterns to figure out which product would be the best to invest in.
Lastly, we’d love to hear your feedback regarding your decision making and your experience with baby mattresses. If you’d like to see us review a particular mattress, feel free to comment below.
Bottom Line: We ended up going with the more affordable, flexible and breathable (safe) Newton crib mattress here. That said, the Naturepedic is ALSO a great mattress, just not as flexible in terms of sizes and features.
- Since you will probably be needing only just one mattress until your baby is ready for its own bed, here are some interesting options to go over, including the Newton Baby Mattress, Tranquilo Soothing Mat and Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Mattress, Naturepedic vs Lullaby Earth Crib Mattress and also go over The Best 8 Mattresses for Twins. Last but not least, since you always have to be aware of the products you are buying for your little one/s here are some Baby Crib and Mattress Recalls that will definitely be efficient for your mattress hunt.