Last Updated on
Investing in your baby’s first bed is such an important buying decision.
Most parents do their research and choose a baby crib and mattress carefully. It needs to be a solid investment. But what if you’ve found the mattress and crib that you’ve fallen in love with and it gets recalled. That can be tough for parents, but you need not worry.
Recalls on baby products these days are relatively rare. Usually, when companies are recalling a crib or a baby mattress, they are taking the proactive approach to safety (voluntary recall), at least in the U.S. Knowing that, here is my list of baby crib and mattress recalls so you can continue to check your brand.
In rare instances the official Consumer Product Safety Commission will issue warnings.
In the past 10 years, we’ve come a long way with baby safety efforts but there will always be recalls on baby cribs and mattresses if only proactive ones.
- 1 What to know when buying a baby crib
- 2 Amazon Recalls All Infant Inclined Sleepers from their Website
- 3 2020 Baby Crib and Mattress Recalls
- 3.1 Simba Hybrid Cot Bed Mattress
- 3.2 Cool Baby Portable Cot
- 3.3 Shermag 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- 3.4 All models of Kids II Rocking Sleepers
- 3.5 Stokke® Steps™ Bouncers
- 3.6 Fisher-Price Inclined Sleeper
- 3.7 Tween Light Up Bed Canopies
- 3.8 Fisher-Price Rock N’ Play Sleeper Recall
- 3.9 Land of Nod Nook Toddler Beds Recall
- 3.10 Bexco DaVinci Cribs Recall
- 3.11 Baby’s Dream Cribs Recall
- 3.12 Dream on Me Cribs Recall
- 3.13 Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Recall
- 3.14 Oeuf Sparrow Cribs Recall
- 3.15 PT Domusindo Perdana Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- 3.16 Nan Far Woodworking Drop-Side Cribs Recalled
- 3.17 Dutailier Group Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- 3.18 The Land of Nod “Rosebud” Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- 3.19 Bassettbaby Cribs Recall
- 3.20 Ikea Sniglar Cribs Recall
- 4 Baby Crib Mattress Recalls
- 5 Further Reading on Mattresses and Cribs
- 6 Further Reading on Baby Recalls
What to know when buying a baby crib
Buying a baby crib and mattress that you’ll love, that is also safest for your little one is important. Here are some buying guide tips to purchase the safest sleep system for your new one (from Consumer Reports):
Don’t go for all the bells and whistles
“The safest cribs have simple lines and no scrollwork or finials. Infants can strangle if their clothing gets caught in such detail work.
Following this advice will get you a safer crib and save you money.” Don’t be fooled by new design trends, a basic crib is going to be a better investment in safety. There are plenty of ways you can design the baby’s room to add personality, don’t feel that you have to do that with bedding. Safety is best.
Buy something new
Avoid hand-me-down or used cribs as much as possible. Safety standards have changed over the past few decades and would have been a perfectly safe crib 20 years ago is not going to be a safe today. Many things can go wrong with older cribs, one of which could be due to human error when taking down and assembling the crib again.
There are many affordable new cribs that won’t break the bank. If your mother-in-law insists you use your husbands old crib, politely say ‘no thank you’ and invest in one you know will be safe.
Always check construction: do your research
Before you buy, do your homework. Research the materials used in the construction of the crib, mattress and get honest reviews from actual buyers. When assembling, check for loose parts, defects in the wood, and anything that looks amiss.
Get the pros to assemble
Most cribs get shipped in boxes and need full assembly. As tempting as it can be to tackle this project on your own, I would strongly advise against that. It isn’t as expensive as you might think to get some pros to assemble. Isn’t $70 worth your piece of mind? A lot of baby crib and mattress recalls will happen because of human error in assembly. If possible get the pros on it. If not, at least set the crib up with a trusted friend.
Cribs come with a lot of instructions on how to assemble and use. Knowing the right height for your baby, how to adjust the side rails — it all matters to the safety of your little one. Cribs get safer every year, but that doesn’t mean human error can cause problems. Don’t use bumper pads or extra bedding either. Babies don’t need pillows and lots of bedding to sleep comfortably anyway.
Amazon Recalls All Infant Inclined Sleepers from their Website
Just before the end of the year, Amazon takes off all kinds of infant inclined sleepers even those who have not been officially recalled, due to numerous cases connected with infant death. They say this decision is due to the fact that these sleepers are not safe for use since they have an angle of 10 to 30 degrees, providing an unsafe position for babies who can roll when they are asleep.
In fact, there have been numerous reports of infants who have died because they have fallen asleep in an angle that has restricted their pathways and has caused them a fatality. With this decision, the company thinks it’s about time these sleepers are taken off the market, as a precaution and with one goal – to provide the safest products for infants that will not lead to any hazards in the future.
2020 Baby Crib and Mattress Recalls
Simba Hybrid Cot Bed Mattress
Simba is recalling this mattress as it shrinks when washed, so the company stated that all mattresses which were available from 8th of May to 10th of May should be returned for a full refund and that they will collect the faulty mattresses from customers.
Alternative to try: Milliard 2-Inch Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress
Cool Baby Portable Cot
The Cool Baby Portable Cot was recalled in August 2019 due to a missing label on the cot that states that parents cannot use any other mattress than the one sold with the cot, due to risk of choking and entrapment. Parents can still use the mattress though if they use it with the original mattress.
Alternatives to try: Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard
Shermag 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
This company is recalling this crib for the second time (the last recall was in 2017), due to risk of detaching parts which can entrap babies or can make the sides completely collapse, posing a risk of strangulation and suffocation.
Alternative to try: LA Baby The Little Wood Crib
All models of Kids II Rocking Sleepers
The Kids II Recalls all rocking sleepers of this kind, after there were 5 fatal incidents with the same styled sleepers. The company offers a full refund or a voucher in case you want to return the sleeper.
Alternative to try: Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Portable Bassinet
Stokke® Steps™ Bouncers
Stokke has recalled their Infant Step Bouncers because the bouncer can detach from the chair and pose a falling hazard to babies and children who are in it. If you own this bouncer, you can contact the company and check if your bouncer is within the recalled models, and if it is, they will give you instructions how to repair it and continue to use it.
Alternative to try: Chicco Hoopla Baby Bouncer
Fisher-Price Inclined Sleeper
Fisher-Price has recalled lots of products this year, including their sleeper and all models of play yards which pose risk to babies. Many deaths have been linked with this type of sleepers, due to babies rolling on their stomach during the night and this is why the company has taken serious measures of making sure this never happens again and offers a full refund or vouchers in case you prefer it.
Alternatives to try: Graco® Pack ‘n Play® Playard
Tween Light Up Bed Canopies
- This product was recalled April, 2019 canopy lights can overheat imposing a fire and burn hazard.
- Contact 800-241-7011 or online at www.shopjustice.com.
Fisher-Price Rock N’ Play Sleeper Recall
Fisher-Price is a known company for baby gear and accessories and has made the Rock N’ Play Sleeper ever since 2009, however, due to 10 recent infant deaths and a total of 30 deaths since its release date, Fisher-Price is officially recalling their Rock N’ Play Sleeper, which many parents are now calling the death sleeper.
The company had announced that the sleeper is not for babies who can roll themselves alone, but since many of the babies who died were under 3 months old, they are obliged to make this recall and to stop further incidents. If you have purchased this baby sleeper for your little one, you should immediately contact Fisher-Price for a refund.
Alternative to Try: Chicco 2019 Side Sleeping Crib Next2Me Dream”
Land of Nod Nook Toddler Beds Recall
- Land of Nod received 4 reports of the headboard detaching which caused an entrapment hazard.
- Production dates: May 2015 to September 2017
- Contact Land of Nod at landofnod.com or 800-933-9904.
Alternative to try: Delta Children Canton Toddler Bed
Bexco DaVinci Cribs Recall
- These cribs were recalled because of a metal bracket that can break causing a fall, laceration or entrapment hazard. Recalled models include DaVinci’s Reagan (#M2801), Emily (#M4791), Jamie (#M7301), and Jenny Lind (#M7391).
- Contact DaVinci for information at Davincibaby.com or at 888-673-6652.
Alternative to try: DaVinci Kalani 4-In-1 Convertible Crib
Baby’s Dream Cribs Recall
- The recall includes cribs, dressers, nightstands, and bookcases were finished in vintage grey paint that exceeds Federal lead limits.
- Recalled models include Baby’s Dream’s Brie, Braxton, Heritage, Legendary, and Everything Collection sold between March 2014 and March 2015
- Contact Baby Dreams at 800-835-2742 or on their website at babysdreamfactoryoutlet.com
Alternative to try: Union 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
Dream on Me Cribs Recall
- Entrapment, Suffocation, Laceration, and Fall Hazards. The drop-side rail on these cribs can fall or break, creating a space in which a child can become entrapped.
- Contact Dream on Me at 877-201-4317 or on their website dreamonme.com/customercare/product-recall/
Alternative to try: Dream On Me Violet 7 in 1 Convertible Life Style Crib
Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Recall
- A child can become entrapped between the front and side panels of the crib. Recalled models include H004522, H004546, H004548 or H004777 sold between January 2012 and August 2012.
- Contact Franklin & Ben at (888) 673-6652 or on their website at www.franklinandben.com
Alternative to try: Stork Craft Tuscany 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
Oeuf Sparrow Cribs Recall
- An entrapment hazard if the slats and the top rail detach. Recalled models include 1SPCR, 2SPCR, 4SPCR or 5SPCR sold between July 2007 and January 2014.
- Contact Oeuf at (844) 653-8527 or on their website at www.oeufnyc.com
Alternative to try: Graco Freeport Convertible Crib
PT Domusindo Perdana Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- Entrapment or fall hazard if the dropsides detach or fall. Recalled models include Jenny Lind Crib, Christopher Crib, Early American Crib, Scottsdale Crib, Sleigh Crib without Rosette, Sleigh Crib, Anniversary Sleigh Crib, Kristin Crib, Cameron Crib, Solid Panel Sleigh Crib, Roll Bar Convertible Crib, Anniversary Convertible Sleigh Crib, Spindle Convertible Crib, Bella 3-in-1 Crib sold between January 1998 and December 2008.
- For more information at (800) 827-2129 or on their website at savannababy.com.
Alternative to try: Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
Nan Far Woodworking Drop-Side Cribs Recalled
- Entrapment, strangulation or fall hazard if the dropsides detach or fail, and fall out of position. Recalled models include Nightingale Spindle Drop-Side Crib, Cottage Standard Drop-Side Crib, Cottage Standard Drop-Side Crib Version, Drop-Side Crib and Changer, Renew Standard Drop-Side Crib, Renew Convertible Drop-Side Crib sold between January 2005 and December 2008.
- For more information at (877) 967-5770 or on their website at www.rocklandimmobilizationkit.com.
Alternative to try: Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
Dutailier Group Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- Dutailier Group has received 16 reports of the slats from the drop-side detaching from the bottom or top rails which imposes strangulation or falling hazard. Recalled models include E1230C2, E3500C2, E3540C2, E5100C2, E5140C2, E5530C2, E9000C2 and E9100C2 sold between January 2009 and February 2010.
- For more information at (800) 262-9817.
Alternative to try: Delta Children Archer 4-in-1 Crib
The Land of Nod “Rosebud” Drop-Side Cribs Recall
- Entrapment, strangulation or fall hazard if the dropsides detach or fail, and fall out of position. The recalled models were sold between January 2003 and September 2004.
- For more information, contact Land of Nod at 800-933-9904 or at their website firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternative to try: Child Craft Camden 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
Bassettbaby Cribs Recall
- Entrapment, strangulation or fall hazard if the dropsides detach or fail, and fall out of position. The recalled models were sold between January 2000 and August 2010.
- For more information, contact (800) 308-7485 or www.bassettbaby.com.
Alternative to try: Bassett Baby & Kids Grayson 4-in-1 Crib
Ikea Sniglar Cribs Recall
- The bolts that should secure the mattress support are not long enough which can cause the mattress support to detach and collapse.
- The recalled models included was number 60091931 sold between October 2005 and June 2010.
- For more information, contact Ikea at 888-966-4532 or on their website www.ikea-usa.com.
Alternative to try: Ikea Gulliver Convertible Crib White
Baby Crib Mattress Recalls
Dream On Me Toddler Bed Mattresses Recall
- The mattress imposes a fire hazard as it violates the Federal Mattress Flammability Standard.
- Contact Dream on Me at 877-201-4317 or on their website dreamonme.com/customercare/product-recall/
Alternative to try: Milliard Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress
IKEA Sultan and VYSSA Crib Mattresses Recall
- Entrapment hazard from a large gap between the mattress and the crib.
- Contact Ikea for a replacement at ikea-usa.com or at 888-966-4532.
Alternative to try: Graco Premium Foam Crib & Toddler Bed Mattress
Further Reading on Mattresses and Cribs
- Best Cribs for Shorter Moms (and Dads)
- Best Baby Travel Cribs
- Best Organic Crib Mattresses
- Bassinets vs Cribs: Which to Choose?
- Newton Crib Mattress Review (Hypoallergenic & anti-suffication)
- Emily Natural Crib Mattress Review
Further Reading on Baby Recalls
- Top Baby Toy Recalls to Watch
- Top Baby Stroller Recalls to Watch
- Top Recalls on Baby Food
- Top Recalls on Baby Formula
- Top Recalls on Car Seats and Baby Carriers
- How to Find the Best Baby Cribs (& Top 10 Choices to Consider)