Babies love to sleep and they need plenty of high-quality rest in order to grow and develop. To make sure your infant rests properly, you must buy a bassinet that’s both safe and comfortable. Selecting a good crib is one of the most important decisions for a parent. When choosing a bassinet, there are many factors you should consider.
To help you make this decision, I have created today’s article which includes two main sections. The first one talks about the most important aspects to consider when searching for the best baby bassinets. The second part discusses a list of some of the best bassinets on the market.
How to Find the Best Baby Bassinets – Tips and Guidelines
What Features Should You Consider?
Think about the things you would like most when purchasing a new bassinet and then make a decision based on those essential elements. For instance, some parents want bassinets with spacious storage pockets where they can put wipes, clothes, diapers, and more.
Other cribs are multi-purpose bassinets that can be transformed and used as changing stations or even bedside sleepers. The more expensive alternatives also come with sound and light features.
Some bassinets can work as cradles if you remove or retract their wheels to allow the crib to rock gently. Other models are known to glide while the wheels remain stationary.
In this case, batteries are required. Premium bassinets have adjustable rocking speeds. Some of them also play a wide variety of songs or make white noise to calm the baby. The most popular ones are those that mimic the womb or nature noises.
Some bassinets come with a handle so that you can carry them around. Others have wheels for increased mobility. I have even seen models with casters so that the user can roll the entire item around the house. However, you should never move the unit while your baby is still in the bassinet.
There are cradles out there that have incline inserts but that feature isn’t JPMA-certified so you should be cautious when using those products.
Accessories and Toys
Certain manufacturers market bassinets that have attached toys hanging from the canopy or other detachable mobile accessories. Make sure to choose a model that has soft and light toys that aren’t dangerous in case they fall on the baby. Cribs that play music or vibrate are also popular, although these extra functions aren’t exactly accessories or toys.
Bedding – Mattress and Mesh Walls
The crib’s mattress shouldn’t be too firm or too soft. It should have a perfect balance between firmness and thinness. Most parents believe that a softer mattress might be more comfortable for their little ones. Well, that’s not always the case, especially when we’re talking about bassinets which are rather small sleeping areas. A harder mattress lowers the risk of suffocation.
Besides mattresses and pads, most bassinets or cribs also feature a fabric lining. If you want and can afford it, all these extra elements can be customized. The best and safest options are undyed liners made of organic cotton. Shades such as green or cream are currently fashionable. Be wise and choose those fabrics that can be cleaned up in the washing machine.
Newborns need plenty of things like diapers, wipes, soothing toys, milk bottles, clean clothes, and more. For that reason, it is best to purchase a bassinet that has a generous storage space underneath it so that you won’t have to look for those items all over the house. Mesh pockets are also a great addition because they help you keep everything you need within quick reach.
A stiff canopy provides shade and protects your child from direct sunlight or excess light during sleep. Some bassinet models have a double canopy so that the bassinet closes entirely which means your baby will be protected from other elements as well like bugs and insects.
Pay attention to those canopies who have drapes or curtains over them because they might represent strangulation hazards, especially if your baby is big enough to reach them.
Extra Features: Vibration, Light, and Sound Effects
Nowadays, many bassinets come with lots of extra features like vibrations, light, sound effects, etc. The most common ones are lullabies or soothing music, nature sounds, ambient sounds, heartbeat, and white noise. Many models feature a soft night light that helps you watch your baby sleep without disturbing him or her.
One thing to consider is that all these extra functions run on batteries so you may have to replace them on a regular basis.
- Make sure the bassinets have a JPMA seal – it might seem unbelievable nowadays, but there are still some bassinet models that pose safety issues such as soft sides or soft mattresses that are suffocation hazards, sharp edges, or rough finishing. After several incidents, more and more manufacturers updated their products with JPMA seals;
- Choose carefully – a good bassinet should have a stable base that opens widely while also featuring a sturdy and stable bottom. Avoid those products that have sharp edges or tiny elements that represent a choking hazard. Those cradles made of wood must be splinter-free;
- The mattress must fit snugly – the entire bedding which includes the pad and the mattress should be smooth yet extra firm. In fact, these elements shouldn’t be thicker than 1 ½ inches. A mattress that’s thicker than that can pose the risk of suffocation;
- Verify any folding mechanisms – many bassinets have foldable frames or legs for easier storage. If the one you bought is part of this category, make sure its legs, wheels, and any other part that collapses locks well into place during use;
- Choose an airy bassinet – the best kinds of bassinets are the ones that have side panels made from breathable materials such as mesh. This fabric keeps the baby from rolling over or falling off the cradle while also allowing him or her to breathe and prevents suffocation;
- Use the bassinet for a short period – cribs, cradles, and bassinets have short life spans. As soon as your baby starts to roll over or outgrows the sleeping space, it means you should move your little one to a larger crib that suits his or her size and needs;
- Don’t throw the packaging or the receipt – you should keep all those things that came with the bassinet in case you’ll need them if you want to return the product.
These types of cradles allow you to sleep right next to your infant by bringing him or her as close to the bed as possible. Moreover, the legs go underneath the bed so these bedside bassinets don’t occupy too much space. The best co-sleepers are those that have adjustable height as well as a side panel that lowers so that you can check on your baby from time to time.
This type of bassinet stands on its own feet. You can place them near the bed but they occupy a larger space because of their bulkier structure. Another important aspect is given by the product’s sides which are quite tall. This means you cannot tend to your infant from your bed.
You must get out of it and lean over the crib. On the other hand, these bassinets usually have wheels that make the process of pushing them around a bit easier.
These bassinets are versatile and they can be used in a number of ways. So, you will purchase one single product but you will benefit from multiple advantages. For instance, some bassinets serve as a sleeping space as well as a changing station or a playpen. Multipurpose bassinets have a high practicality level because they support children of various ages and sizes.
- Bassinets vs. Cribs: Which to Choose?
- The Best Bassinet for Twins On The Market! – A Comprehensive Guide
- These Are The Best Bassinets For C-Section Mommies
- 5 Best Bedside Bassinets That Moms and Babies Love
Top 10 Best Baby Bassinets to Consider
*The following bassinets were listed in no particular order. They were chosen based on their features, functionality, and consumer ratings.
1. Pack ‘N Play Playard Bassinet by Graco
The Graco Pack ‘N Play Bassinet is a versatile product. It can go from a diaper changer to a napper in no time. Space creates a cozy environment for your child to sleep in.
You can keep using it even when your infant grows and becomes a toddler. The product also comes with storage pockets that boost the bassinet’s convenience. The sides are see-through and they are made of a breathable material that allows airflow.
- It is easy to store this bassinet because it is foldable;
- It lasts a long time and it can be used for both babies and toddlers;
- This is a 3-in-1 product because it can be used as a sleeping space, play yard, or changing place;
- The construction is safe and sturdy.
- It can be difficult to assemble although the instructions are pretty straightforward;
- According to a client, the changing station tends to lean to the left but we don’t know if that’s a design flaw or it’s just an isolated case.
2. By Your Side Sleeper from SwaddleMe
This SwaddleMe bassinet has mesh sides through which you can clearly see your baby at all times. Air circulates easily through the material while also preventing your infant from overheating. It comes with a fitted sheet as well as a mattress pad.
You can safely use this bassinet until your little one starts to roll over. This product is stationary but it also features a rocking position. It is a highly convenient and practical bassinet.
- It is easy to handle, store, fold, and transport;
- There are two available modes: rocking and stationary;
- It works great for parents who live in small apartments;
- The breathable mesh allows proper airflow and it represents a very good safety feature;
- This product has an affordable price and excellent value for the money.
- Although it is a pretty small bassinet, it isn’t the most portable option on the market;
- The pad isn’t waterproof and the liner isn’t washable.
When you want the baby in the middle of you two, and you worry that you might hurt him/her in your sleep, this is when SwaddleMe comes. The sleeper is really loved between parents and it is such a great choice for on-the-go!
3. Sweet Beginnings Bassinet by Delta Children
The Delta Children baby bassinet is the perfect choice for those parents who want an entertaining product. It features sounds and lights. Moreover, this bassinet is very easy to use while also being safe (thing proved by its JPMA certificate).
Its canopy is adjustable which means your infant will be protected from excess light during sleep. The structure is sturdy so it will easily and safely support your baby’s weight. At the bottom, it has a storage basket where you can keep your infant’s essentials.
- You can easily move this bassinet around the house;
- This product is a pretty affordable one;
- It comes with an adjustable canopy for increased versatility;
- It will be easy to keep your little one’s essentials within your reach due to the bassinet’s storage space;
- Your baby will enjoy soothing nightlight and lullabies.
- The mesh panels don’t allow as much airflow as other similar bassinets do;
- This may be a cheaper bassinet, but, according to parents, many other alternatives, despite having higher prices, are made of better materials.
4. Swivel Sleeper Bassinet by Halo
The Swivel bassinet’s name comes from its main distinctive feature which allows the product to rotate 360 degrees. Therefore, bringing your baby closer to you will be achieved without any difficulties. With this item, you will be able to sleep while having your little one right next to you.
It comes with an adjustable height. You can tuck the base part underneath your bed. Another important advantage is given by the thickness of the mattress.
- It is small and compact so it will fit all room sizes and almost all bed sizes;
- You can tuck it beneath the bed;
- It fully rotates 360 degrees;
- The side panels are made from breathable fabrics.
- Although it is supposed to be a mobile bassinet, it is quite heavy which will make it difficult for you to move it around;
- Some parents have stated that their babies managed to roll over so they don’t think this bassinet is the safest one out there.
5. BabyBjörn Cradle
The BabyBjörn cradle is an expensive product but it does a great job calming your baby and helping him or her fall asleep faster. It has a gentle rocking movement that’s soothing for infants. This cradle is low enough so that you can watch your baby sleep.
The stability of the cradle is provided by the combination of wood and steel. It has a lightweight and compact structure which makes it easy to move it around.
- The fabrics are easy to clean;
- The sides are made of breathable mesh;
- It is a lightweight and compact bassinet yet it is very sturdy;
- It comes with a canopy.
- It is a bit on the pricey side;
- You can only use it until your baby is six-month-old;
- For some parents, this cradle is way too low and some of them have experienced back pain after bending over to put their babies in the bassinet.
6. Concepts Cambria Co-Sleeper by Arm’s Reach
The Cambria baby bassinet has a spacious storage area underneath the sleeping space. It is high enough to allow you to place it next to your bed and sleep beside your baby. Unlike many other bassinets, this one features a stylish design made from curved wood. To keep your infant safe and sound, the manufacturer added mesh sides that also allow airflow.
- It is very easy to assemble;
- It comes with a large storage area at the bottom part;
- This bassinet is easy to clean;
- The mesh walls are a safety feature while the wooden structure is an elegant touch.
- You won’t be able to use it for toddlers;
- It is a heavy co-sleeper but, at least, there are wheels so that you can transport it around your house.
7. LullaGo Portable Bassinet by Chicco
The Chicco LullaGo bassinet is made of high-quality fabrics that can be easily removed and washed. Also, the process of setting up this cradle is incredibly simple. A part of the sides is made of breathable mesh and the feet have an anti-slip feature.
The bassinet is easy to fold and lightweight, not to mention it comes with a carrying bag which makes its transportation an effortless thing.
- You will be able to clean it without any difficulties;
- Users can set it up or take it down without a fuss;
- It is easy to transport it due to its lightweight construction;
- The package contains a carrying case;
- It is a spacious and sturdy bassinet;
- It is an affordable bassinet.
- Although it comes with a pretty good mattress, some buyers think this element could be improved in terms of quality;
- Some say that the product keeps folding back which makes it an unsafe sleeping environment for your baby.
8. Bedside Foldable & Portable Crib by Mika Micky
Probably the most amazing thing about the Mika Micky portable crib is its versatility. It has no less than 7 different height adjustment positions to suit your bed. The crib is a breathable and cozy space surrounded by mesh walls.
One of the side panels opens completely so that you can have full access to your little one directly from your bed. This product makes breastfeeding a lot easier. You can use it right from birth and until your baby is 5 months old.
- You can transform it from a sleeper to a bassinet;
- The side panel opens easily to allow a quick reach to your baby;
- It can be attached to most beds;
- It is a great choice for new moms who’re still breastfeeding their children;
- This bassinet is both comfy and stable.
- Although it is supposed to be a portable crib, some other options on the market are more portable than this one;
- A few parents were concerned with the suffocation hazard that this bassinet might be because the side panels aren’t made entirely of mesh.
9. Karley Bassinet from Dream on Me
The Dream on Me baby bassinet is made of polyester foam materials and it can be used either indoors or outdoors. The double canopy closes completely while the sleeping pad is lightweight.
In terms of transportation and storage, this product is great because it folds quickly. Underneath the sleeping area, you will find a storage space to place the infant’s essentials. The bassinet allows smooth rocking motion which helps babies fall asleep peacefully.
- There are plenty of colors to choose from: blue and grey, rose, grey and pink, periwinkle, grey, pink, and light blue;
- This bassinet is both lightweight and foldable yet sturdy and stable;
- It is very easy to set up;
- The sides are made of mesh while underneath the crib there’s a storage basket.
- Some parents would like to benefit from removable canopies but that isn’t the case with this product;
- You can’t use it for a long period because your baby will soon outgrow it;
- Buyers will also have to purchase a mattress separately which costs extra.
10. Dream Suite Bassinet by Graco
This Graco Dream Suite crib works as a sleeping space but also as a changing station. It is a multi-purpose and versatile product. You can soothe your baby and help him or her sleep better by turning on the dual vibration feature of this bassinet.
It is easy to transport due to its four wheels which are also lockable in order to maintain your baby safe and sound. In this bassinet, you can protect your little one from too much light.
- Only by pushing one single button, you can transform this bassinet into a changing station;
- There’s a generous storage space right under the sleeping area;
- It comes with a dual-speed vibration feature;
- You can easily transport or move this product from one room to another;
- The cradle features a canopy.
- In some people’s opinion, the mattress can be a tad hard for a baby’s back;
- According to some people, the mattress contains chemicals that are toxic and aren’t safe for newborns.
How to Find the Best Baby Bassinets – Summing It Up
Taking good care of your little one involves making sure he or she sleeps in a safe and comfy environment. When purchasing a bassinet or a crib, you should always put safety first. The best products come with JPMA seals and they don’t have any suffocation hazards or rough edges.
The decision should also be based on your lifestyle. For example, parents who tend to move around a lot must choose a portable bassinet. I am sure you will find a crib that suits all these aspects on the list I provided above.
- Nuna MIXX Bassinet Review: Is It the Best Pick for Your Baby?
- Snoo Bassinet Review: Is This The Best For Your Baby?
- Dock a Tot Review: Everything You Need to Know