Last Updated on
When it comes to choosing a bassinet for your baby, you’re going to need one that delivers. But what exactly is a bassinet? It’s basically a baby’s bed that’s similar to a crib in shape, but its purpose is to clip into a stroller so that your baby can sleep comfortably while you’re out and about. Soon after you have a baby you’re going to want to head outside, so using a bassinet is a great way to transition from inside to out.
However, choosing one isn’t always easy when there are Moses baskets and cradles to consider too, so that’s where we come in. Our Nuna MIXX Bassinet review is designed to give you all the facts about this popular bassinet so you can learn more about its functions and features to see whether it might work for you.
Chances are, if you’ve already purchased a stroller then you’ll be looking for the bassinet to match. The Nuna MIXX Bassinet is designed to clip into the Nuna MIXX Stroller, so this review is for you if you have that particular stroller and want to learn more about how the two pieces of equipment work with each other.
This review is designed to give you as much information as possible about the Nuna MIXX Bassinet so that you can make a decision about whether it’s right for you and your baby. You might be completely new to bassinet shopping or you might have looked at lots of options already. Either way, stick with us because at the end you’ll be armed with plenty of useful knowledge that you can take away and use.
- 1 Things to think about when choosing a bassinet
- 2 Nuna MIXX Bassinet Review
- 3 Costzon Baby Stroller 2-In-1 Foldable Infant Buggy
- 4 Conclusion – Does the Nuna MIXX Bassinet fit the bill?
- 5 Frequently asked questions
- 6 The bottom line
Things to think about when choosing a bassinet
Looking for the perfect baby bassinet needn’t be a struggle, but if you need a helping hand to find the right one for you and your baby’s needs then take some of our top tips below into consideration as they’re a good place to start.
Have you already chosen your stroller?
Most clip-in bassinets are an accessory to an existing stroller, so when you’re looking for a buggy it’s a good idea to have a think about how you might want to use it first. If you think you might want to use a bassinet alongside your stroller, then look for models that allow a bassinet to clip into it.
Most bassinets are designed to be used alongside the same make and model stroller, so look at the wider picture when it comes to choosing the one that will ultimately suit you and your family.
Is safety a big feature?
When it comes to using a bassinet with a stroller, you’ll need to make sure there are enough safety features to make it suitable for outdoor use. Check the list of specifications very carefully before you purchase anything, but the sorts of things you should look for are effective brakes (including a rear foot pedal if possible), a harness, and features that will mean the bassinet is protected from the elements.
What’s your budget?
Ultimately, your budget will be a large factor when it comes to the bassinet you end up purchasing. While looking for expensive high-end models is the ideal scenario, it’s not always possible when there are lots of things you already need to buy.
Be realistic with your budget and try to narrow your search down to 3 models: low end, mid-range and high end so you give yourself some options to play with.
Nuna MIXX Bassinet Review
There are so many added features on the Nuna MIXX Bassinet that it’s almost hard to know where to begin. First off, the purpose of the bassinet is to clip into the Nuna MIXX Stroller. This means that if you already own this popular stroller, you can add the bassinet as part of your accessory add-ons, allowing you to build up your collection to make the Nuna stroller work best for you.
The Nuna MIXX Bassinet is designed for babies from birth right up to 20lbs. You’ll want to be careful to move on from this particular bassinet once your child reaches the right weight or around 6 months of age (whichever comes first) as the bassinet is designed to be used for babies who can’t push up onto their hands and knees. Babies who are eventually able to do this will need a larger bassinet for comfort and safety.
Some of the strongest features about this particular model is that it connects to the stroller super quickly, and all you need to do is clip it in – no adapters are needed. It compacts down pretty much flat for storage, making easy work of travel. This is great if you’re heading out on your own.
And while it’s a lightweight design for travel, it’s also been approved for overnight sleeping. If you don’t want to disturb your baby while they rest you can leave them in the bassinet perfectly safely. For extra comfort, there’s a firm mattress to support your baby and both the mattress pad cover and top cover are machine washable, leaving you with one less thing to worry about.
If you’re worried about the weather, the Nuna MIXX Bassinet comes with an oversized canopy which protects from both the sun and wind. If it’s a bit cooler outside, there’s also a top cover to keep your baby warm and toasty. This releases quickly with magnets so you don’t have to fiddle around with taking it on and off. There’s also a mesh peek-a-boo window for breathability and ventilation to keep your baby at the right temperature.
Overall, it’s a great bassinet that looks good and functions well, too. The manufacturers have thought about both mother and baby to get the most out of it, and while you’ll have to think about upgrading to something more suitable for an older baby after a short while, there’s plenty you can do with it and you’re certain to get the most out of the added features it has.
- For babies unable to push up onto their hands and knees, up to 20 lbs and 27″.
- Unique lightweight design approved for overnight sleeping. Perfect for travel.
- Removes and connects swiftly and easily from the MIXX stroller series frame. No adaptors required.
- Compact flat fold for easy storage and quick trips.
- Integrated oversized canopy with dream drape™ provides extra protection from the elements.
- Top cover keeps baby warm and is easily removable with quick release magnets.
- Mesh peek-a-boo window for increased ventilation; built-in ventilation panel.
- Incorporated storage pocket.
- Luxe hand-sewn leather-look carry handle.
- Non-slip feet line the bottom surface for added security and cleanliness.
- Mattress pad cover and top cover are machine washable.
- Compatible with the MIXX series strollers.
- Product dimensions: 16.5″”w x 35″”d x 24.5″”h (10.25″”h without canopy).
- Product weight: 11.2 lbs.
- It can be used with any stroller in the MIXX range.
- It folds down easily so you can take it everywhere and anywhere.
- The design is sleek and high quality, so it looks great.
- It’s not too heavy – ideal for if you’re traveling alone.
- The mattress is machine washable, making it easier to keep clean.
- This bassinet needs to be purchased separately to the Nuna MIXX Stroller.
- It can’t be officially used with any other strollers outside of the Nuna MIXX range.
- You’ll need to upgrade to something more suitable once your baby gets to around 6 months.
- It’s quite expensive when compared to the cost of a stroller.
How other bassinets compare
Costzon Baby Stroller 2-In-1 Foldable Infant Buggy
While this model isn’t a clip in-and-out bassinet that you can purchase separately, the Costzon Baby Stroller is a 2-in-1 model that features both a bassinet and stroller. It’s made with a lightweight aluminum frame that’s not only easy to carry around but can withstand the test of time too, thanks to its heavy-duty construction.
The stroller and bassinet are best for babies up to 33lbs, and after that time you’ll need to upgrade to something larger to fit them better. However, as a multi-functional stroller, it can be reclined to be turned into a sleeping bassinet or a toddler stroller and moved higher or lower so you can see into the bassinet better. It can also face in both directions to suit you. Facing forwards allows your baby to see more of the world, but facing towards you and seeing your face is probably more comforting for them.
The Costzon 2-in-1 Stroller is also designed to fold down compactly so that you can take it along with you pretty much anywhere. It’s easy to push too, with rubber lockable front wheels that swivel 360 degrees for a smooth ride. The stroller also comes with a rear brake system to offer safety and flexibility when you go outside. It can also be easily operated with a foot pedal. One of the best safety features is the 5-point safety harness. It uses only 1 key to release quickly if you need it to, with adjustable straps and a harness that can be tightened or loosened with a simple maneuver.
There aren’t many downsides, but some parents have noticed an overpowering smell when getting the stroller out of the packaging for the first time. If you suffer from this problem then let the stroller air out for a little bit in the open air before you use it.
- Made from durable, lightweight aluminum, breathable linen, and rubber.
- Detachable infant basket that can be reclined. The seat goes higher or lower with a simple push or pull.
- Equipped with a foot cover, which can prevent pitiless wind in winter to well protect your baby. When summer comes, you can remove the foot cover to keep cool.
- Enclosed diaper bag for extra storage space.
- Adjustable backrest and canopy to meet your baby’s different requirements to lie, sit, or sleep.
- 5-point safety harness and tilt-adjustable sleeping cushion to ensure comfortable sleeping.
- Comes with a canopy with sunroof ratchets to protect from UV rays.
- Peek-a-boo windows for added ventilation.
- Lockable rubber wheels add a sense of safety and flexibility when you go out. You can operate it easily with foot-operated linked parking brakes.
- It can be transformed from a standing stroller to a folding one with its creative spinning connector which enables you easily store it at home or place in the car.
- Comes built-in with the stroller.
- It can be purchased on Amazon.
- Some parents have reported a noticeable smell while getting the stroller out of the packaging.
BABY JOY Baby Stroller Price: $169.99 If you are not looking for two separate purchases, then the Baby Joy stroller might be a stronger option for you. It is less expensive, easy to fold and comes with lots of useful features for keeping your baby safe and cozy.
Conclusion – Does the Nuna MIXX Bassinet fit the bill?
While a bassinet that clips into a stroller doesn’t seem like the obvious choice for a newborn at first, there are plenty of benefits to using one. They make easy work of taking your baby outside for the first time, and they’re incredibly versatile as you can use them as a night-time bed or a travel seat.
While expensive, the Nuna MIXX Bassinet is a really great option if you’ve already got a Nuna MIXX Stroller and want to do more with it. The biggest downside is it won’t last you for that long as your baby will outgrow it as soon as they can start moving around using their wrists and knees, so you have to ask yourself whether it’s worth the investment for you and your baby. If so, it’s packed with handy features that will help you get the best out of it.
We love that the Nuna MIXX Bassinet has plenty of features to keep your baby protected from the elements, including breathable peek-a-boo panels to keep them at a steady temperature. It’s also super easy to use working off click-in-and-out clips that means you can work it even if you’re alone.
It’s also light, compact and easy to move about, so when you’re in the depths of motherhood and are trying to navigate through this brand new world (especially when going outside for the first time), it’s a reliable bassinet that’s rarely going to let you down. It’s definitely worth a try.
Frequently asked questions
“How long do you keep your baby in a bassinet?”
Typically, you should only use your bassinet until your baby’s around 4-6 months of age when they can move independently, roll over, sit up and generally move about. This is because the bassinet becomes an unsafe option and you should move on with your equipment to suit their growth and needs.
“What is the main purpose of a bassinet?”
A bassinet’s job is to provide a comfortable yet safe place for your baby (that’s under 4 or 6 months) to sleep or nap. It should have a firm, thin mattress as your baby will need the added support. You can choose portable bassinets or ones that are designed to stay in place in a room.
“What’s the difference between a bassinet and a crib?”
Bassinets tend to be smaller, more portable and easier to carry around. Like the Nuna MIXX Bassinet, many models can be clipped into a stroller too, meaning you can travel while your baby sleeps. Cribs tend to stay in the house, are larger and heavier, and provide a more permanent sleeping space for your baby.
“Can I substitute a standard bassinet for my Nuna MIXX Bassinet?”
Yes, because the great thing about the Nuna MIXX Bassinet is it’s been approved for overnight sleeping so it’s perfectly safe to use inside the house as a regular bassinet as well as on a stroller. You can either leave your baby in the stroller while they nap, or you can detach it from your stroller to use it as a bed at night-time. It’s a great way to keep costs down by doubling up your equipment.
We really hope this article helped you make a decision and would love to know if we have helped you. Please get in touch with any feedback or further questions you may have. If you liked this review, why not check out our Pampers Swaddlers vs Cruisers comparison guide if you’re looking for a great nappy brand. Or if you’re looking to pick up a car seat alongside your stroller, take a look at our guide on how long car seats are good for.
- Nuna Mixx vs Mixx2: Which is the Best Stroller?
- Nuna Mixx vs UPPAbaby Vista – Which One is Better?
- Nuna Mixx vs UPPAbaby Cruz – Which is the Right Stroller for You?
- Nuna Mixx Review [2019 Version] – Is This The Best Stroller for Your Baby?
- Nuna Pepp vs Nuna Tavo: What Fits Your Family Best?