Last Updated on
You’ve found the baby formula that you and your baby really loves. You’ve done your research, stuck by your brand, but then the unthinkable happens… your baby formula gets recalled! Oh no! It can be super frustrating when you suddenly find out that the formula brand you’ve grown to love (and let’s face it, depend on) is no longer available.
That’s why I decided to create the ultimate baby formula recalls list (with safe alternatives you will love). Use this list to not only discover the latest baby formula recalls but also to find something else you can love just as much.
Note: Baby formula recalls are very rare, so this page will only be updated when a new recall is announced. If you are looking for a great formula, visit the Baby Gear site for full reviews, comparsions, tips, and more from real parents!
- 1 Why would a baby formula be recalled?
- 2 Is Baby Formula Regulated in the United States?
- 3 What are the different types of baby formula available?
- 4 Sammy’s Milk Baby Formula
- 5 Enfamil Baby Formula Recall (Walmart)
- 6 Similac Recall (2010)
- 7 Aptamil Powdered Baby Milk (2018) Recall
- 8 Similac Formula Recall (2018)
- 9 Baby’s Only Organic Formula Recall
- 10 Conclusion: What to do if your brand gets recalled
Why would a baby formula be recalled?
It appears that ‘most’ baby formula recalls are due to some kind of manufacturing, or processing error along the way. Many of the recalls we’ve noticed happen due to fear of salmonella. However, and we should note that baby food recalls, even worldwide are very rare.
Is Baby Formula Regulated in the United States?
“No, FDA does not approve infant formulas before they can be marketed. However, all formulas marketed in the United States must meet federal nutrient requirements and infant formula manufacturers must notify the FDA prior to marketing a new formula. If an infant formula manufacturer does not provide the elements and assurances required in the notification for a new or reformulated infant formula, the formula is defined as adulterated under section 412(a)(1) of the FFDCA and FDA has the authority to take compliance action if the new infant formula is marketed.”
Other countries have different laws and regulations when it comes to baby formulas, it is always smart to do your own research specific to the country where you are buying your baby formula first before you buy. Generally speaking, when it comes to baby formulas, all brands, regardless of price point, or ‘marketing’ must adhere to the same health and safety standards. That said, I personally prefer European baby formula, as Europe tends to have higher standards for infant formula.
What are the different types of baby formula available?
- Cow milk protein-based formulas. Most infant formula is made with cow’s milk that’s been altered to resemble breast milk. This gives the formula the right balance of nutrients — and makes the formula easier to digest. Most babies do well on cow’s milk formula. Some babies, however — such as those allergic to the proteins in cow’s milk — need other types of infant formula.
- Soy-based formulas. Soy-based formulas can be useful if you want to exclude animal proteins from your child’s diet or if there is some kind of allergy to cows milk.
- Protein hydrolysate formulas. These types of formulas contain protein that’s been broken down (hydrolyzed) — partially or extensively — into smaller sizes than are those in cow’s milk and soy-based formulas. Protein hydrolysate formulas are meant for babies who don’t tolerate cow’s milk or soy-based formulas. Extensively hydrolyzed formulas are an option for babies who have a protein allergy.
With this covered, here is the full infant formula recall list that we are tracking…
Sept. 30, 2016 – All Sammy’s Milk Baby Food powdered formula is recalled because it isn’t manufactured according to federal regulations and has not been tested for Cronobacter, which can cause deadly infections in children.
Alternatives to try:
- Check here for the latest prices on Kabrita, Goat Milk Toddler Formula with Iron
- Meyenberg Whole Powdered Goat Milk is another great alternative. Check here for the latest discounts and prices.
- Happy Baby Organic Infant Formula Milk-Based Powder with Iron Stage — Check out the latest prices here.
Dec. 2011 – Wal-Mart stores removed all cans of Enfamil Newborn formula of one size and from one lot number from shelves after one baby died and another became seriously ill from the same bacterial infection. This recall is no longer valid.
Alternative to try: Enfamil Newborn
Back in 2010, Similac had to recall some Similac powdered infant formula after identifying a common warehouse beetle (both larvae and adults) in the finished product at their Sturgis Michigan plant. This has since been resolved.
Alternative to try: Similac Pro-Advanced Formula
Changes are not always good, and the proof for that is the new Aptamil Powered Baby Milk formula. Ever since they made slight changes in the product, parents have been complaining that their newborns are showing signs of being unwell and unsettled. Also, some of these parents are concerned with the new package that is 100g. less than the original one and with still remaining price.
The company has explained that their new products are a little bit more sensitive to temperature, therefore, parents would need to make the formula for their babies in a different way. The formula is still available on Amazon and many other shops, but if you are not certain if you want to take risks with your little one, there are definitely some other options available.
Alternative to try: Aptamil First Stage Milk 0-12 Months Powder
Even though many parents see Similac as their brand of preference, according to the latest information, Abbott Labs are recalling the popular formulas of Similac-brand in U.S, Guam, Puerto Rico and many Carribean countries due to a beetle problem in some of the factories that are producing the baby formula.
Although they are not gone for good, many parents have expressed their concerns regarding the product’s negative effects on their babies which include gastrointestinal problems, nausea, and irritability when it comes to feeding time! In a recent occasion, the company has explained that they want their products to be of top-quality and that they understand how parents want only the best for their kids, so this is why they were recalling certain series of the formula, in order to make space on the shelves for the right one!
Alternative to try: Similac Advance Infant Non-GMO Formula
Baby’s Only Organic Formula Recall
Actually, the formula wasn’t recalled per se, but the original pre-2017 version was said to contain “unsafe levels of arsenic“, according to Consumer Reports. While there was not a full recall, they have filtered out arsenic moving forward (and there have been no further negative reports post formula re-do).
We actually really like Baby’s One as it’s one of the only readily available organic formula’s available in supermarkets in the US. Still, there are baby formula brands we prefer (see below):
Alternatives to Try: Holle, Hipp or Lebenswert Organic formula available here.
Holle Baby Formula Price I am often asked which baby formula I actually use at home. The Answer is Holle. Yes, slightly more expensive but the quality ingredients are worth every penny. Use code BABYSWAG5 to save 5% via BuyOrganicFormula.com
Conclusion: What to do if your brand gets recalled
While massive recalls on any major baby formula brand are few and far between, there are things that you can do when your brand gets recalled.
- Check the details. Most brands only recall certain serial numbers. Your brand just might not be on the list.
- Know that many recalls are ‘safety’ precautions, especially when it comes to baby formula. Don’t panic if you do discover that the brand you use has been recalled.
- Use baby formulas always as directed. If you are not following the exact directions on how to prepare your infant formula, you could cause adverse reactions if there is something in the way you prepared the formula, cleaned the bottles, nipples, etc. Make sure you follow the directions and always sterilize.
- Keep checking this page (we’ll be updating it as soon as we discover any new baby formula recalls.)
- Do your research first before investing in any infant formula.
- If your baby is having any adverse reactions to formula, stop feeding immediately and call your doctor.
If you are looking for some reliable formula options and replacements (some that have NEVER been recalled), check out some of our guides and reviews below:
- Best European Baby Formula: Let’s face it, Europe has higher standards for what they allow in baby formula. Non-GMO is a given, but there are numerous other advantages.
- Holle vs Similac Comparison: For a good example of these benefits, this comparison takes one of the most reputable European brands and stacks it against one of the established “mainstream” US based brands.
- Holle Baby Formula Review