Last Updated on
When it comes to certain foods, allergies may show up right away in your baby or perhaps further on down the line. Since no one really wants to take chances, though, there’s no harm in finding a non-dairy baby formula that works for your little one from the start.
In other instances, milk-based formulas might not react well with your baby’s tummy, and if that’s the case, then there’s no harm in choosing one that’s made with either soy or goat milk instead.
Of course, there’s no guarantee that either option will be better for your child’s digestive system, but for some babies, the formulas are a lot more gentle. There may be more options when it comes to milk-based infant and toddler formulas, but there are still a handful of non-dairy formulas that could work.
- Gentle for the belly
- Certified Organic, Non-GMO, and Biodynamic
- Have been in business for 30+ years.
- Save 5% off your total order here with code “BABYSWAG5”
- Is dairy and soy free
- Free of pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, and antibiotics
- Completely GMO-free.
- 1 Best Cow’s Milk Formula Alternatives for 2019
- 1.1 Non Dairy vs Non Milk Based Formula (Lactose Free Formula)
- 1.2 1. Holle Goat Based Organic Formula
- 1.3 2. Dairy Free Soy Formula” Gerber Good Start Soy Non-GMO Infant Formula
- 1.4 3. Dairy Free Soy Formula: Enfamil ProSobee Soy-Based Infant Formula
- 1.5 4. Mt. Capra Goat Milk Lactose Powder
- 1.6 5. Similac Soy Isomil Infant Lactose Free Formula
- 1.7 6. Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Toddler Formula
- 1.8 Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Non-Dairy Formulas
Best Cow’s Milk Formula Alternatives for 2019
First, let’s clarify an important distinction.
Non Dairy vs Non Milk Based Formula (Lactose Free Formula)
Up front, I’ll caveat by saying that Goat formula is still technically dairy, but it’s obviously not cow’s milk based. Many of the allergies to dairy are ACTUALLY allergies to cow based milk products.
Check with your pediatrician first and perhaps test for this distinction. Otherwise, the main option will by soy based formula (see the options below the goat picks).
For a professional medical opinion on goat vs milk, check out this resource.
1. Holle Goat Based Organic Formula
You might not have heard of Holle before, but that’s because it’s a European based company. They have been in business for 30+ years, but only recently have European brands like Holle been catching on in the US and Canada.
So what’s the big deal? Basically, EU standards are a lot more stringent than US standards. Further, Holle is certified Organic, Non-GMO, and Biodynamic (kind of like the “new” Organic, but more intense).
Holle features a number of cow-based formulas, but also has a great goat-based line. Goat by-products have long been cited as being easier to digest than cow’s milk, while still retainer similar milk-like taste, texture, and nutrients. It’s also a great soy formula alternative, for parents concerned about soy-based formulas.
Holle features Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 goat formulas, depending on the age of your little one(s).
- Main Ingredients: Goat milk base with much less lactose than standard milk based formula. They use a vegetable oil blend for binding (palm oil, rapeseed oil – canola oil – , and sunflower oil).
- Where to Buy: Not available in most health food stores, you will have to try your luck online. I’ve found it at Formulaland, OrganicStart and from BuyOrganicFormula.com. NOTE: If you order via BuyOrganicFormula.com here you can save 5% on your order with code BABYSWAG5.
- The Best Part: Gentle on the belly and made with the highest quality ingredients and certifications.
- The Worst Part: Goat still contains lactose (even if it’s not cow-based dairy), so if it’s a legitimate dairy allergy be sure to check with your pediatrician first. It’s also considerable more expensive than generic formula options.
- Price: As previously mentioned, it can vary. Our family orders from BuyOrganicFormula.com where 1 container (400 grams) sells for $31.95 as of 2019, but you can also take 5% of your order with code BABYSWAG5.
- Full Review
2. Dairy Free Soy Formula” Gerber Good Start Soy Non-GMO Infant Formula
Gerber has a variety of different formula options for almost any infant’s diet, so of course they also have the Gerber Good Start Soy Non-GMO Powder Infant Formulaas an option.
It’s both milk and lactose-free, so if your baby is allergic to dairy products, this may be the one formula to do the trick. The soy proteins are small enough for sensitive tummies to quickly digest, while the DHA is in there to help support healthy eye and brain development in babies.
It’s suitable for babies from birth up to 12 months of age, so you can give it to your baby right away if you prefer to try and keep him or her on the same formula until they’re ready to be weaned off.
The formula is also made with non-genetically modified ingredients, so you can be sure that your child is getting the best of what they need for their nutrition and healthy growth and development.
- Main Ingredients: The more active ingredients in the formula are soy proteins, calcium, Vitamin D, and DHA amino acids.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the Gerber store website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: Some babies who suffer from gas bubbles may get some relief after switching to this Gerber option.
- The Not So Great: Some infants might have larger diaper blowouts than others and more frequent bowel movements.
- Price: On Amazon, a 25.7 ounce can of Gerber Good Start Soy Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula is $25. Check out the latest price
3. Dairy Free Soy Formula: Enfamil ProSobee Soy-Based Infant Formula
Enfamil is well-trusted trusted formula brand and the Enfamil ProSobee Soy Infant Formula is a solid replacement for any milk-based formula that may be rough on your baby’s stomach.
It’s completely free from lactose and milk, so lactose intolerant infants won’t be subject to watery stools or constipation, and there is still plenty of nutrition in the formula for your baby’s growth and overall health. In addition to DHA for healthy brain development, it also has Choline to benefit your child in the long-term.
Speaking of which, the Enfamil ProSobee can be used through your child’s first year, from infancy all the way up to 12 months old. Because of its absence of lactose and milk, the formula may be the answer to your child’s gas and fussiness too, so it’s a win-win all around.
- Main Ingredients: The most essential ingredients in the formula are DHA, Choline, and plant-sourced soy protein.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the formula on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: Even if your baby isn’t intolerant of dairy, the Enfamil ProSobee can be beneficial in helping produce more solid stools rather than watery or loose ones.
- The Not So Great: Although it’s good for healthy bowel movements, your baby may spit up a bit more with this formula.
- Price: On Amazon, a four pack of 22 ounce cans of Enfamil ProSobee Soy Infant Formula is $106. Check out the latest price
4. Mt. Capra Goat Milk Lactose Powder
Whole soy-based baby formulas are certainly an option, the Mt. Capra Goat Milk Lactose Powder is another healthy alternative for infants. Instead of using wither cow’s or soy milk, you can opt for 100% goat’s milk for your infant.
It’s made with the same kinds of nutritional benefits as milk-based powder formulas, and it’s free of pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, and antibiotics, which make it as safe as possible to use for your little one.
Yes, there is the chance that he or she may not like the taste or that it doesn’t agree with their stomach, but it’s still another great alternative in case your baby can’t have dairy or can’t tolerate soy. There are also no corn ingredients (e.g. corn syrup solids which are commonly found in infant formula), and all of the ingredients it does have are GMO-free.
- Main Ingredients: It is 100% dairy-free goat milk.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon.
- The Best Part: If it’s not only dairy but also soy that your child is intolerant to, then this could be the right formula for your baby.
- The Not So Great: Some babies may still have reflux or spit-up issues with the powder formula.
- Price: On Amazon, a one pound tub of Mt. Capra Goat Milk Lactose Powder is $16. Check out the latest price
5. Similac Soy Isomil Infant Lactose Free Formula
The Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula is specifically designed to comfort and soothe sensitive stomachs. Its crowning achievement and main benefit is its unique blend of vitamins and minerals in what Similac calls OptiGro.
With the formula of nutritional ingredients are DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin A, among others. The mixture of nutrients and vitamins is designed to help with your child’s brain and physical development while also remaining gentle on their tummy when other milk-based formulas can’t offer that part.
The formula also has the necessary prebiotics, which are beneficial to help build your child’s immune system right from the start. Plus, the formula is suitable for your baby’s first year.
- Main Ingredients: The Similac Soy Isomil has a blend of the brand’s OptiGro nutrients for your baby’s overall development.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: Its special blend of nutrients make this particular soy-based formula perfect for your baby’s development from the very beginning.
- The Not So Great: The lid on the plastic tub might easily break off or become loose, making it harder and harder to secure closed.
- Price: On Amazon, a 23 ounce container of Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula is $32. Check out the latest price
6. Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Toddler Formula
The Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Toddler Formula is another goat milk-based option that can be used in place of milk formulas. This particular one is formulated for toddlers from 12-24 months, but it could be what your baby has needed all along, even if they don’t have an official dairy intolerance.
It’s a naturally easy milk to digest, especially for toddlers who are sensitive to milk-based powders, and has 22 different vitamins and minerals, including folic acid, iron, ARA fatty acids, and DHA, which are all nutrient your growing child needs.
The formula is also, as to be expected, free from any additives or genetically modified ingredients and the milk comes from goats on a free-range farm. It has a sweet smell and taste as well, which can make it a lot easier for little ones to take down and keep down.
- Main Ingredients: It’s made from goat milk, but contains 22 different vitamins and minerals for your toddler’s health.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Whole Foods.
- The Best Part: It’s great for using on its own or for supplementing with breast milk, especially since it’s easier on the stomach than cow’s milk.
- The Not So Great: Some toddlers might have constipation issues resulting from drinking this particular formula.
- Price: On Amazon, a 28 ounce can of Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Toddler Formula is $31. Check out the latest price
- Full Review: Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Formula Review
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Non-Dairy Formulas
Even if your baby doesn’t have an allergy or an intolerance to lactose or milk-based formulas, sometimes gas problems and colic can be treated with formulas that don’t contain either. For this purpose, non-dairy formulas are where the solution might lay.
This way, your baby can still have the formula and the nutrition they need. Without potentially stomach upsetting ingredients, your little one can have a formula that they’re more likely to be able to digest and keep down each time.
Further Reading on Baby Formulas
- How to Find the Right Baby Formula
- Baby Formula Recalls This Year
- Where to Buy Baby Formula Online
- Regular vs Non-GMO Formula
- Similac versus Holle Formula
- Palm Oil vs Coconut Oil in Formula