Last Updated on
As a new parent, you make a lot of buying decisions. One of the most ‘fun’ decisions you’ll make is what toys you buy your little bundle of joy. As your baby grows, toys can be a great way to help grow those active brain connections and interact with the world around them.
Most baby toys made in the USA today are safe and have to meet strict guidelines:
U.S. toymakers follow a mandatory set of safety rules and regulations under ASTM F963 – Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Toy Safety, created under ASTM International. Since 1986, it’s been considered the gold standard in toy safety and is emulated around the globe. The Toy Association leads the multi-stakeholder committee that continually reviews the standard to ensure that it keeps pace with child development research, medical and toy-related incident data, risk assessment techniques, science, and manufacturing innovations. The standard was last revised in 2016. (Source: U.S. Safety Standards).
So, when it comes to toy safety, if you purchase your toy at a reputable place, either online or at a retail location, you shouldn’t too concerned. However, there will still be times that a toy gets put on the recall lis. In North America, most toy recalls are pre-emptive voluntary recall actions, which means that the manufacturer or toy company that sells the toy takes action before babies or toddlers actually get hurt (or to pre-empt PR damage from defective products), but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do your homework.
- 1 What to do If A Toddler or Baby Toy is Recalled
- 2 Tips for Children’s Toy Purchasing Decisions:
- 3 Baby Toy Recalls 2018 – 2019 (Updated in September)
- 3.1 Ubbi Connecting Bath Toys
- 3.2 Activity Push Walkers
- 3.3 Playtive Junior Wooden Grasping Toy
- 3.4 Cat Mobile Fireworks
- 3.5 Children’s soft books
- 3.6 Infant rattles by i Play
- 3.7 Power Wheel Barbie Campers
- 3.8 VTech Elephant Rattle
- 3.9 Cat & Jack Unicorn “Chiara” Boots
- 3.10 Wild & Wolf Petit Collage Xylophone
- 3.11 Michaels Spin Art Kits
- 3.12 Munchkin Waterpede Bath Toy
- 3.13 My First Porsche Toy Cars
- 3.14 Hauck Fun Go-Karts
- 3.15 Colorations – 200 Extra Large Crayons
- 3.16 Munchkin’s Waterpede Bath Toys
- 3.17 Hauck Nerf® Battle Racer go-karts
- 3.18 Nickelodeon PAW PATROL Deluxe Marshall Hat with flashlight
- 3.19 Dr. Brown’s Lovey pacifier & teether holders
- 3.20 Children’s eWagons
- 3.21 VTech Recalls Lights & Lullabies Travel Mobiles
- 3.22 Fidget spinner keychains by Fashion Accessory Bazaar
- 4 Baby Toys Recalled in 2017
- 4.1 Little Tike Toddler Swing Recall
- 4.2 Just One You Waggy Toys
- 4.3 Kids II Obal Rattles
- 4.4 Dynacraft Ride-on Cars
- 4.5 Douglas Plush Toys
- 4.6 TOMY Lamaze Munching Max Chipmunk
- 4.7 Hallmark Plush Baby Toy
- 4.8 Toys “R” Us Infant Wiggle Balls
- 4.9 Target’s Hatch & Grow Easter Eggs
- 4.10 Moose Toys Little Live Pet Lil Frog
- 4.11 Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Seats Recall
- 4.12 Target Magnetic Tic Tac Toe
- 5 Baby Toy Recalls 2016
- 6 Other Handy Recall Lists and Safety Alerts
- 7 Recommended Toys
What to do If A Toddler or Baby Toy is Recalled
Firstly, don’t panic. Like I said before, most baby toys in the U.S. have had to meet strict guidelines and most recalls are done to ensure safety. Of course, when it comes to the safety of your baby and child, you can never be too careful. According to a Parent’s Magazine article:
“Knowing about and responding to product recalls can be a lifesaver,” says Scott Wolfson, spokesman for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC}. “Danny Keysar…tragically died in 1998 in a portable crib that had been previously recalled — and involved in previous fatalities. We want to honor Danny and other children taken too soon by increasing awareness of product recalls and making the standards for juvenile products much stronger.” (Source: https://www.parents.com/baby/safety/toy/what-to-do-if-a-product-you-own-is-recalled/).
The first step to keeping your baby safe is to do your research before you buy. Subscribing to Consumer Reports used to be the best way, but you can use this reference page (bookmark it) too. Check for any current, or past recalls on that product. If in doubt, you can always find a more reputable toy that hasn’t been recalled.
Tips for Children’s Toy Purchasing Decisions:
- Don’t by knock-off brands online. Many knock-off toy brands are sold from overseas, or manufactured in China where the safety regulations are not as stringent and product defect issues are less likely to be caught.
- Check this list to see if your toy brand has any current or past toy recalls. (We will do our best to update.)
- Check the manufacturer website to ensure you are not buying a recalled toy, or knockoff product. Compare proper product names, SKU numbers to make sure.
- Read the warning label. Check all toys for appropriate age restrictions and possible warning signs. Not all toys are safe for all ages.
- Be smart and think ‘large’ — make sure all toys and their parts are larger than your baby’s mouth. Small babies and toddlers should never play with toys that are smaller than their mouths.
- Don’t assume that just because a toy ‘seems’ safe or age appropriate means that it is. Proper supervision is key, especially with babies and toddlers.
- Avoid toys that are loud — sound can easily damage babies’ hearing.
- Make sure all toys are well made and have been given the seal of approval from other parents. This is key when it comes to ‘stuffies’ — make sure the seams are sewn properly, that there are no rips or tears in the material or parts that might come loose.
- Make sure all toys that you buy are nontoxic.
- Electric toys should be UL Approved.
- Be extremely careful when buying crib toys. Any hanging mobile toys should be out of baby’s reach and there should be no loose bedding. See these tips on how to avoid SIDS.
- Make sure old toys that are broken are discarded.
- Keep older children’s toys safely stored away from babies and toddlers.
Baby Toy Recalls 2018 – 2019 (Updated in September)
Ubbi Connecting Bath Toys
These Ubbi bath toys were recalled in August 2019 due to potential breaking which would cause sharp edges to be exposed. Also representing a choking hazard for young babies. Parents can directly contact the company for a full refund or for a replacement of the toy.
Alternative to try: Liberty Imports Rod and Reel Fishing Toys Set
Activity Push Walkers
Crate and Barrel are recalling their push walker since as time passes, the toy’s accessories can become sharp and injure a baby. So far, there has only been three calls from concerned parents and no actual situations, fortunately, and if you have this wooden baby walker with SKU number 124-248 you can call the company for a full refund.
Alternative to try: Wooden Toys Wooden Activity Baby Walker
Playtive Junior Wooden Grasping Toy
In July 2019, Lidl has recalled their wooden toy with model number HG04414, because the blue parts can detach and release small parts that could be a choking hazard for your little one. You can simply go to the closest Lidl market and ask for a full refund.
Alternative to try: Hape Wooden Cars Infant Toys
Cat Mobile Fireworks
Winco Fireworks recalled their Cat Mobile Fireworks toy due to potentially flammable materials and possible sparks. If you own this toy, you should contact the company for an immediate refund.
Alternative to try: Stomp Rocket Jr. Glow Rocket
Children’s soft books
The Manhattan Toy Recalls their Children’s book due to the possibility of fabric detaching which could pose a choking hazard to babies who play with it. The company offers a full refund on all books that have a LOT number 208150 AJ.
Alternatives to try: Plush Stuffed Toy Easter Bunny
Infant rattles by i Play
i Play has recalled this toy because some parts can detach and pose a choking hazard to babies. This toy that is made in Taiwan with serial number 0000 is out of use, and if you have the toy, you can contact the company via phone and ask to reclaim a coupon of $50 that you can use to replace the toy.
Alternative to try: TUMAMA 10pcs Baby Rattles Teether Toys
Power Wheel Barbie Campers
- The Power Wheel Barbie Camper was recalled February 2019 because the camper can continue running even after the foot pedal is released.
- Contact Fisher-Price at 800-348-0751 or at fisher-price.com.
VTech Elephant Rattle
- The VTech Elephant Rattle, model number 80-184800, imposes a choking hazard as the elephant’s ear can come off.
- This swing was sold between November 2009 and May 2014.
- Contact VTech at 800-521-2010 or at vtechkids.com
Cat & Jack Unicorn “Chiara” Boots
- This product was recalled as the unicorn horn can detach and impose a choking hazard.
- Contact Target at 800-440-0680.
Alternative to try: Oball Shaker
Wild & Wolf Petit Collage Xylophone
- Choking hazard: The ball on the beater rod can come loose from the Petit Collage musical jumbo wooden xylophone. This toy was sold between August 2017 and February 2018.
- Contact Wild & Wolf at 855-215-5879 or at www.petitcollage.com
Alternative to try: aGreatLife Wooden Xylophone for Kids
Michaels Spin Art Kits
- Fire and burn hazard: Creatology® Spin Art Kits by Michaels, sold between August 2011 and February 2018, has a battery compartment which can overheat.
- For more information contact Michaels at 800-642-4235 or at www.michaels.com
Alternative to try: Crayola Spin Art Maker
Munchkin Waterpede Bath Toy
- Choking hazard as the bath toy can break apart exposing small beads.
- For more information contact Munchkin at 877-242-3134 or at www.munchkin.com
Alternative to try: Munchkin Float and Play Bubbles Bath Toy
My First Porsche Toy Cars
- Choking hazard as the wheels and axles can detach from the wooden toy car.
- For more information contact Porsche or online at https://press.porsche.com
Alternative to try: Melissa & Doug Stacking Cars Wooden Baby Toy
Hauck Fun Go-Karts
- The recalled toy is Hauck Nerf® Battle Racer go-karts, model number T91869, sold between January 2016 and March 2017. The go-karts steering wheel can detach posing a laceration or collision hazard.
- Contact Hauck at 877-428-2545.
Alternative to try: Ricco 12W Battery Powered Ride on Go Kart
Colorations – 200 Extra Large Crayons
- The crayons were recalled in May 17, 2018 because the red color in the box contains glass, representing a laceration danger to the user
Alternative to try:Crayola Ultimate Crayon Collection
Munchkin’s Waterpede Bath Toys
- Munchkin has recalled these bath toys on May 10, 2018, due to choking hazards. The toys can break apart representing a serious danger to kids.
Alternative to try: The First Years Disney Baby Bath Squirt Toys
Hauck Nerf® Battle Racer go-karts
- On May 8, 2018, this product was recalled because the wheel can detach or break, causing serious danger to young children. To find out more about this toy, go to http://www.hauck-toys.com/.
Alternative to try: Carrera First Nintendo Mario Kart Slot Car Race Track
Nickelodeon PAW PATROL Deluxe Marshall Hat with flashlight
- This toy was recalled on April 5, 2018, because the batteries in the flashlight can overheat, causing burn or fire hazards.
Alternative to try: Construction Hat
Dr. Brown’s Lovey pacifier & teether holders
- This product was recalled on March 15, 2018, because the snap of the product can detach and will represent a serious choking hazard to children.
- This children’s wagon was recalled on March 14, 2018, because of improper wiring which can activate the motor on the wagon, causing injuries.
Alternative to try: Radio Flyer All-Terrain Pathfinder Wagon All-Terrain Pathfinder
VTech Recalls Lights & Lullabies Travel Mobiles
- This product was recalled on January 25, 2018, because the mobile that is attached to the crib can fall and cause a serious injury to an infant.
Alternative to try: Tiny Love Meadow Days Soothe ‘n Groove Baby Mobile
Fidget spinner keychains by Fashion Accessory Bazaar
- The fidget spinner was recalled on January 24, 2018, because the center of the toy can detach and pose a serious choking hazard.
Alternative to try: Mini Fidget Spinner Toy for Kids
Baby Toys Recalled in 2017
Little Tike Toddler Swing Recall
- The Little Tike 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure swing, model number 615573, was recalled due to over 140 reports of the plastic seat breaking which can cause the children to fall.
- This swing was sold between November 2009 and May 2014.
- Contact Like Tike at 855-284-1903 or at littletikes.com
Alternative to try: Miageek 3-in-1 Secure Swing Seats
Just One You Waggy Toys
- Choking Hazard if the crank and connecting rod slip off.
- Production Date: January 2016 – August 2017
- For more information on this recall, call 888-968-9268 or send an e-mail to recall@
Alternative to try: Gund Baby Animated Flappy The Elephant Plush Toy
Kids II Obal Rattles
- The rattle, model number 81031, has a plastic disk that can come off which causes the small beads to fall out. Choking hazard.
- For more information on this recall, call 800-230-8190, or visit the website: kidsii.com
Alternative to try: AQUEOUSLY Baby Rattles Ball Toy
Dynacraft Ride-on Cars
- Dynacraft has received 19 reports of the pedals sticking. The recalled models include Surge 12V Camo 4X4, Surge 12V XL Quad, and Tonka 12V Mighty Dump trucks.
- Contact Dynacraft at 800-551-0032 or at www.dynacraftwheels.com
Alternative to try: Uenjoy Kids Power Wheels 12V Ride on Car
Douglas Plush Toys
- This toy was recalled because the plastic eyes can easily detach. The recalled models include Oliver™ the Bear, Chewie™ the English Bulldog, and Charlotte™ the Fox sold between July 2014 and April 2017.
- Contact Douglas at 800-276-4029 or at www.douglastoys.com
Alternative to try: Aurora World Inc. Foxxie Plush
TOMY Lamaze Munching Max Chipmunk
- Laceration hazard: Parts inside TOMY’s Lamaze Munching Max chipmunk stuffed toy, model number L27578, can break creating a sharp point that penetrates the surface.
- Contact Douglas at 800-276-4029 or at www.douglastoys.com
Alternative to try: Lamaze Jacque The Peacock
Hallmark Plush Baby Toy
- Litty bittys baby Disney-licensed plush animal stacking toys with rattling rings sold between June 2016 and July 2017. Choking hazard: the toy bow can fall off.
- Contact Hallmark at 800-425-5627 or at www.hallmark.com
Alternative to try: Bears for Humanity Organic Tiger Animals
Toys “R” Us Infant Wiggle Balls
- Choking hazard: There have been 6 reports of the rubber knobs falling off. The recalled toy is called Bruin Infant Wiggle Ball sold between June 2016 and January 2017.
- Contact Toys “R” Us at 800-869-7787 or at toysrus.com
Alternative to try: VTech Move and Crawl Baby Ball
Target’s Hatch & Grow Easter Eggs
- Serious ingestion hazard. Target’s Hatch & Grow Easter Eggs, Easter Grow Toys and Hatch Your Own Dino Toys were recalled because if the small toy was ingested, it could “grow” or expand in the child’s body which could cause a number of problems and could even be life-threatening.
- Contact Target for more information at 1-800-440-0680 or on their website www.target.com.
Moose Toys Little Live Pet Lil Frog
- Chemical Exposure and injury hazard: the battery’s cap can become a projectile and the battery’s chemicals can leak.
- Contact Moose Toys at 844-575-0340 or at www.moosetoys.com
Alternative to try: Little Live Pets S3 Lil’ Turtle Tank
Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Seats Recall
- Fire Hazard: The motor housing can overheat. This recall involves Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Seats with model numbers CMR35, CMR36, CMR37, and DYH22 and Smart Connect Soothing Motions Seats with model number CMR39.
- Contact Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437 or at www.service.mattel.com
Alternative to try: Graco Everyway Soother
Target Magnetic Tic Tac Toe
- Choking hazard: The magnets can come off the tic tac toe game pieces. This game was sold at Target between December 2016 and February 2017.
- Contact Target for more information at 800-440-0680 or on their website www.target.com
Alternative to try: Stephen Joseph Magnetic Tic Tac Toe Set
Baby Toy Recalls 2016
Chillafish Balance Bikes
- The wheels can crack because of the overinflated tires which can send pieces of the plastic rim flying.
- Contact Chillafish for more information at 888-666-7689 or at www.chillafish.com
Alternative to try: Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike
Dollar General Construction Truck Toy
- Fire and burn hazard: Dollar General has received 5 reports of the toy’s remote overheating.
- Contact Dollar General for more information at 800-678-9258 or on their website www.dollargeneral.com
Alternative to try: Green Toys Scooper Construction Truck
Fisher Price Baby Swing Recall
- The recalled models include CHM84 Soothing Savanna Cradle ‘n Swing, CMR40 Sweet Surroundings Cradle ‘n Swing, and CMR43 Sweet Surroundings Butterfly Friends Cradle ‘n Swing sold between November 2015 and March 2016. If the seat’s peg is not fully engaged, the seat can fall unexpectedly.
- Contact Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437 or at www.service.mattel.com
Alternative to try: Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing
Ikea Bat Cape
- Strangulation hazard because of the fabric hook and loop fastener can fail to readily detach.
- Contact IKEA at 888-966-4532 or at www.ikea-usa.com.
Alternative to try: Rubie’s Batman Child Accessory Kit
The Land of Nod Octopus Rattles
- Choking hazard due to the fabric discs easily detaching. Sold between September 2015 and April 2016.
- For more information, contact The Land of Nod at 800-933-9904 or at www.landofnod.com
Alternative to try: Baby Einstein Ocean Glow Sensory Shaker
Auldey Toys Sky Rover Recall
- The recalled toys are the Aero Spin and Aero Cruz Sky Rover remote-controlled flying toys, model numbers, YW859110-2, YW859110-3, YW859110-5, YW859110-6 or TTYW859110-5, sold between January 2015 and January 2016. The USB charging cords sold with the toys can overheat.
- Contact at 844-303-8936 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternative to try: SkyRover Phantom Helicopter
Alex Toys Building Play Sets Recall
- There have been 22 reports regarding this toy imposing a choking hazard as small parts of the toy can detach.
- Contact ALEX at 844-310-6691 or at www.alexbrands.com
Alternative to try: ECR4Kids ELR-0832 Softzone Foam Big Building Blocks, Soft Play Set for Kids
- The front wheels on the scooter can detach causing a fall hazard.
- The recalled models include GT5048R, GT5110R, GT5121R, GT5124R, GT5125R, GT5122R, GT5117R, GT5123R, sold between October 2014 and January 2016.
- For more information, contact GLOPO at 855-965-1704 or at www.GlopoUsa.com.
Alternative to try: Den Haven Scooter for Kids
Other Handy Recall Lists and Safety Alerts
Similar to this page, we maintain a number of “recall trackers” in different baby and toddler categories:
- Recalls on Baby Strollers
- Recalls on Baby Food
- Recalls on Baby Formula
- Recalls on Baby Cribs and Mattresses
- Recalls on Car Seats and Baby Carriers
We also have our team of writer Moms curating lists of recommended toys:
- Best Summer Outdoor Toddler Toys
- Best Outdoor Toys for 1-year Olds
- Best Toys for 6-month Olds
- Best Toys for 3-month Olds
- Top Wooden Baby Toys for Natural Fun
- Best Musical Toys for Tots
- Best Toddler Bath Toys
- Best Water Based Toys for Toddlers
- Educational Toys for Toddlers