- Baby Food Recall List : Baby and Toddler Food Recalls - September 29, 2022
- Dr. Brown vs Avent Bottles : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
- Snuggle Me vs DockaTot : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
- 1 To save some time in your search for formula for colic, we’ve prioritized our 6 top anti-colic formulas right below here ⇓
- 2 Best Baby Formulas for Colic
- 3 First Step: What’s the Difference Between Colic vs Allergy
- 4 1. Holle Organic Goat Formula
- 5 2. Enfamil ProSobee Soy
- 6 3. Gerber Good Start Soothe Infant Formula for Colic
- 7 4. Similac Expert Care Alimentum
- 8 5. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula for Colic with Iron
- 9 6. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula Powder with Iron
- 10 FAQs
- 11 Final Thoughts on the Best Formula for Colic
To save some time in your search for formula for colic, we’ve prioritized our 6 top anti-colic formulas right below here ⇓
- Holle Goat Formula – Our family favorite, non-GMO Organic Goat-based formula with quality ingredients is a great formula for colic
- Enfamil ProSobee – Widely available, soy-based formula (when goat milk doesn’t work).
- Gerber Good Start Soothe – Available everywhere, specially formulated for fussy eaters.
- Similac Expert Care Alimentum – When non of the above work, this one has a “no fussiness” guarantee.
- Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity – Widely available ORGANIC option, specifically designed for sensitive stomachs.
- Similac Sensitive with Iron – When you are dealing with some minor sensitivities.
One of the things they don’t warn you about, as a new parent, is the very real possibility of your new baby having colic for the first few weeks or even months after you bring them home from the hospital. In the simplest definition, infant colic occurs in babies with severe abdominal pain and discomfort and can last hours each day with little to no relief.
While it’s always hard to watch your baby suffer in any way, the good news is that if your baby’s stomach agrees with one of these top five best formula options for colic, it could play a big role in reducing and even subduing colic in your baby.
While no one knows the exact cause of colic in babies, some experts believe that it has a lot to do with the digestive systems of infants and how they take to milk and lactose digestion. But since there are so many different formula options out there to treat colic and nourish your formula-fed baby at the same time, one is bound to work well for your little one.
Acid reflux is one of the main symptoms often co-located with the term “colic” (colic symptom). With most commonly available options being cow’s milk formula, dairy can often be a root cause (but it’s not always a cow’s milk protein allergy or lactose sensitivity). One of the best ways to get to the root of the problem is to try different baby formula options
While these top five best baby formula options for colic certainly aren’t the only possibilities out there, they are some of the more reliable and trusted formulas for colic.
And if one doesn’t seem to sit well with your baby, there’s no harm in switching to another formula just as quickly until you find the right one, but finding the right baby formula can be the difference between a baby in constant discomfort and an infant who isn’t crying for hours each day for the majority of the week (colicky infant).
So, without further ado, here are the best baby formula for colic options…
Best Baby Formulas for Colic
Before getting started, let’s try to decipher between colic vs food allergy (cow’s milk allergy is a common culprit due to formula milk ingredients).
First Step: What’s the Difference Between Colic vs Allergy
Our second child had an allergy to cow’s milk dairy. We confused it – at first – with infantile colic. After speaking to a bunch of other parents, we finally took him to get tested and learned about the milk sensitivity (specifically to cow’s milk formula). Poor guy!
I bring up this example because it’s worth checking out with your pediatrician and maybe even taking your little one to an allergist about cow’s milk digestion (it’s probably a smart thing to do anyway).
For colicky baby #2, we then had to look for good non-dairy formula options. Eventually, we settled on Holle Goat Formula and were able to order it via MyOrganicCompany.store (save 5% with code THEBABYSWAG) OR OrganicBabyShop here (use code BABYSWAG5 for 5% off).
UPDATE: Holle is now registered with the FDA and Holle Goat Stages 3-4 (10 months and up) can be ordered directly via Holle USA here.
That said, there are a few other varieties of organic goat-based hypoallergenic formula options out there (great alternative baby formulas):
Even if dairy is not the culprit, goat milk is MUCH easier for the human body to digest compared to cow milk. This is why the Holle goat’s milk formula is my top recommended option for baby’s colic (gassiness, constipation, hard bowel movement as well).
Other studies have also demonstrated the benefit goat milk has on the absorption of OTHER nutrients in formula-fed infants (possibly due to a latent cow’s milk proteins allergy). Just like mainstream formula, Holle goat mixes easily in a baby bottle for quick serving.
Holle organic formula has been in business for decades, but until recently was only available for purchase in Europe. More recently, online retailers have been popping up (and some closing down due to unreliable supply chains and import rules).
Where to Buy Holle Goat?
Prices can vary wildly and inventory isn’t always reliable for European formulas, so be sure to check (and compare) each of the options below:
- First, check out MyOrganicCompany.store here. If you use our code THEBABYSWAG you can save 5% additional off your entire order.
- Second, check out the NEW HolleUSA product page here. They ARE the brand and offer bulk discounts (even without discount codes).
- Further, check out FormulaDeals here. Formula Deals offers a wide selection of European formulas with fast shipping to US customers.
- Next, check out OrganicBabyShop.com here. They have a reliable selection and competitive pricing, PLUS they offer our readers 5% off with code BABYSWAG5 at checkout here.
- Also, check out OrganicBabyFood24.de here. We’ve been using them for over a year with no complaints, although it is a German based company (better supply, but not always the fastest shipping). They also tend to have the LOWEST prices without discounts.
- Finally, check OrganicBabyFood.shop here. Prices vary, but can be less expensive at times.
Even if your baby doesn’t have colic, it’s always a good thing to find a formula for sensitive stomachs just in case and Enfamil ProSoBee Soy falls into that category. While providing the necessary nutrition and vitamins and minerals babies need during their first year, it also uses soy protein as opposed to milk protein in order to be easier on your baby’s stomach.
And because it’s a milk-free soy infant formula, Enfamil ProSoBee is also perfect for those who are lactose intolerant or suffer from lactose intolerance symptoms (milk protein). The plant-sourced ingredients found in the formula still have the right vitamins and nutrients, like DHA (amino-acid-based formulas), which help your baby’s eye and brain development not only in infancy but beyond that stage.
Plus, you can utilize it right from the beginning, even if your baby doesn’t have colic, in order to help prevent any stomach issues that might arise.
- Child Age Range: While Enfamil ProSoBee Soy milk has a newborn-specific formula (newborn babies) as well as an infant one, the Enfamil ProSoBee Soy milk formula is designed for a sensitive baby’s tummy, suitable for a gassy baby from infancy on (with special prebiotic and probiotic ingredients).
- Where To Buy: You can find the formula on the manufacturer’s website directly right here.
- The Best Part: Since many babies are sensitive to dairy early on, even if they may not be later, using a plant-based soy formula like Enfamil ProBee Soy is sensitive enough on their tummies right from the start, in addition to helping with the discomfort that comes from colic.
- The Not So Great: Because it’s soy-based, the taste might be a bit different to some and, in some cases, not as enjoyable, so your baby may spit up more with it.
- Price: The best place to check is directly via Enfamil’s website here (bulk order discounts – relative to other online options).
Part of the reason why some formulas don’t help or make colic worse in babies is that babies’ stomachs have a harder time breaking them down.
The Gerber Good Start Soothe formula is made with smaller proteins called Comfort Proteins that break down a lot easier and make it easier for babies to digest the formula completely, thereby taking away a lot of the potential gassiness or discomfort that comes along with colic.
It also has a carbohydrate blend with an added 30% lactose which is another component that can help ease fussiness and gas in babies. The formula is made with Gerber’s Comforting Probiotics, L. reuteri, too, which have been proven to reduce colic by as much as 50%.
With all of the added ingredients meant to not only nourish your baby but also soothe him or her, it’s easy to trust in Gerber Good Start Soothe.
- Child Age Range: Gerber Good Start Soothe can be used for formula-fed babies ages 0-12 months old.
- Where To Buy: You can find the formula on Diapers.com or Amazon and in-store at Walmart or Target.
- The Best Part: Since it’s formulated with smaller proteins (milk protein sensitivity) as well as healthy and nutritional carbohydrates, Gerber Good Start Soothe formula means that it treats and manages colic for babies in every sense.
- The Not So Great: While the probiotics are good for your baby, they might cause some constipation.
- Price: Check out the latest price on Amazon.
- Full Review: Read our full Gerber Good Start Soothe Review to get the full picture.
Similac has enough formula options to help your baby with pretty much any digestive system issue they may have, so it’s no surprise that the Similac Expert Care Alimentum is made especially for babies with colic or food allergies.
Since some babies have an early sensitivity to cow’s milk, which is found in many formulas, which can cause the gassiness and fussiness that goes along with the discomfort of colic, Similac Expert Care Alimentum is made to reduce that excessive colicky crying within 24 hours of your baby trying the formula.
With the hypoallergenic formula that also contains iron for your baby’s health, it’s made with a milk protein that’s broken down into enough smaller pieces to help your baby digest the formula faster and easier.
Check out our full guide on how to find the best hypoallergenic formulas here.
- Child Age Range: Similac Expert Care Alimentum is for babies from birth to 12 months of age.
- Where To Buy: You can find the formula on Amazon and in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: The Similac formula’s claim to help calm crying and fussiness within 24 hours is helpful for both uncomfortable babies and caregivers.
- The Not So Great: For some, the smell of the formula might be a little overpowering at first.
- Price: Check out the latest price on Amazon.
- Further Reading: Enfamil vs Similac
For some parents, buying organic is a no-brainer, so choosing an organic baby formula that is easy on babies with colic is an added bonus. Such is the case with Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Formula with Iron.
It has a reduced lactose formula that does include iron as well as DHA and ARA, which are fatty acids found in breast milk (that breastfed infants get) that both help support baby’s brain and eye development. But of the milk that it does contain, it’s sourced from farms where cows are fed with organic grass and hay.
The formula is also made with Lutein for eye development and probiotics for the baby’s immune system, but at its core, the formula is designed to reduce fussiness and gas in babies, which is part of colic.
Read our full guide on how to find the best pacifiers for breastfed babies.
- Child Age Range: The Non-GMO formula is made for babies from birth to 12 months of age.
- Where To Buy: You can find Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron on Amazon and in-store at Walmart and CVS.
- The Best Part: For an organic baby formula, the price is fair and likely affordable for most families who may not have gone organic otherwise.
- The Not So Great: Although it does have natural ingredients, the formula does contain sugar, and while other formulas do too, that might deter some parents.
- Price: Check out the latest price on Amazon.
6. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula Powder with Iron
Similac is one of the formula brands that are already trusted enough, without considering the ones that are made to ease gas and discomfort caused by colic. So the Similac Sensitive Infant Formula Powder with Iron is easy to trust as a possible aid in helping your colicky baby and his or her digestive health problems or food intolerance.
Like many other Similac options, the Similac Sensitive formula contains the OptiGRO blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E, which are all found in breast milk and are important for your baby’s eye and brain development from birth. If your baby’s colic stems from irritability to lactose, the ingredients found in Similac Infant Powdered Formula with Iron might be the right combination to ease any gas or fussiness while still providing the right kinds of nutrients they need.
Check out our list of best lactose-free formula options here.
- Child Age Range: Similac Infant Formula Powder with Iron is designed for babies from birth to 12 months of age.
- Where To Buy: You can find the formula on Amazon and in store at Babies ‘R Us or Target.
- The Best Part: Since it’s designed for fussy stomachs and gas, your baby will likely see less spit-up and overall fussiness that was due to sensitive tummy digestion issues.
- The Not So Great: Some babies might still see constipation while drinking this formula.
- Price: Check out the latest price on Amazon.
Answer: There are a number of baby formulas designed specifically to help with colic. Our favorites are Holle Organic Goat Formula and Enfamil Prosobee Soy.
Answer: If your baby has colic there is a chance that they have a dairy allergy or are sensitive to specific ingredients. Check with your pediatrician as changing to a formula listed here may help!
Final Thoughts on the Best Formula for Colic
When it comes down to it, you’re going to choose the formula for colic that not only sits best with your baby but also gives him or her the nutrition they need.
But since formula is designed to mimic the nutrients and benefits of breast milk (breastfed baby), there’s certainly no harm in trying one or more of these top formulas for colic.
Personally, I much prefer going the European route with Holle formula here. A simple ingredient profile like in Holle (non hydroloyzed formula, no corn syrup) is a great way to eliminate variables to isolate the route cause of colic.
True, your powdered baby formula needs might change as your baby grows and no longer have a need for formula specifically designed for babies with colic. In the meantime, there’s no harm in finding the right colic formula for your child.
Further Research on Baby Formula:
- Best European Baby Formulas: European formulas are the hot new thing. Due to MUCH stricter labeling and non-GMO standards, European brands like Hipp and Holle are making a BIG impact on the market.
- Best Non-Dairy Baby Formula: Sometimes it’s a food sensitivity or intolerance! We experienced this with our one-year-old (dairy being the culprit). If you suspect dairy might be the cause, try one of these options.
- Baby Formula Recalls: We keep this list up to date, so be sure to cross-reference here before you buy.
- Regular vs Supplemental Formula: What is the difference and how to adjust your baby’s feeding schedule.
- Best Formula for Gassy Babies