- Similac Sensitive vs Pro Sensitive: Which is Best for Your Baby? - January 24, 2023
- Gerber Gentle vs Soothe: Which Baby Formula is Best? - December 21, 2022
- Best Reversible Strollers Guide: My Top 7 Choices & How to Pick the Right One for Your Baby - October 10, 2022
Today, I’ve decided to help you choose the best hypoallergenic baby formula that meets your little one’s needs.
Here’s the high-level summary:
- Enfamil Nutramigen: Best Generic Hypoallergenic Formula
- Holle Goat Formula: Best Non-GMO Goat-based Formula
- Baby’s Only Organic: Best Organic Hypoallergenic Formula
In the following sections, you will learn the available types of hypoallergenic formulas, some of the best alternatives on the market, how to purchase the most suitable choice, and many other useful insights.
It is essential to find the safest formula for your little one; a product that keeps him or her healthy; a formula that contains good ingredients and doesn’t have any harmful compounds. But, finding the proper product that fulfills all those requirements can be very stressful.
Some moms are lucky because their children aren’t allergic to any substances but, there are so many mothers out there who deal with this important issue every single day.
After talking to some of them, I discovered that most of them have a hard time finding the right kind of products.
The key elements of any good hypoallergenic formula are the following ones: it should be safe, healthy, and organic.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 7 Best Hypoallergenic Baby Formulas to Consider
- 2 1. Holle Goat Milk Formula
- 3 2. HiPP HA Organic Formula
- 4 3. Enfamil Nutramigen Hypoallergenic
- 5 4. Baby’s Only Lactorelief
- 6 5. Enfamil PurAmino Baby Formula
- 7 6. EleCare Hypoallergenic Powder
- 8 7. Similac Alimentum Infant Formula
- 9 8. Neocate Syneo Infant
- 10 9. Enfamil Pregestimil Baby Formula
- 11 How to Find the Best Hypoallergenic Baby Formula for Your Infant
- 12 Why Should You Opt for Hypoallergenic Baby Formulas?
- 13 FAQs
Top 7 Best Hypoallergenic Baby Formulas to Consider
The following hypoallergenic baby formulas were listed in no particular order. I chose them based on their reviews, ingredients, and taste.
1. Holle Goat Milk Formula
The root of many allergies and sensitivities frequently has to do with the TYPE of formula (and the distinction between lactose sensitive vs cow’s milk formula sensitivity). Goat milk is generally an easier protein structure for babies to break down and is a great alternative to cows milk-based formula options (and subsequent milk allergy issues). This is where Holle fits in.
We personally have used Holle Goat Milk Formula for our kiddos. It may not be right for your situation. There are pros and cons.
- All Natural, Organic, Non-GMO formula
- Easier to digest than cow’s milk-based formula
- Limited ingredients and fillers
- European purity and labeling standards tend to be more robust than US standards
- No palm oil
- No added supplements or vitamins (just those naturally occurring)
- Can be harder to find online (check out TheMilkyBox, HolleUSA here, or MyOrganicCompany for the best selection)
- Can be more expensive (you CAN take 10% off with our code TBS10 at our preferred vendor TheMilkyBox here)
- European Certifications only (not rated by the FDA)
Order via TheMilkyBox here. It's a great option for individual packs + bulk packs. They've offered 10% off for our readers. Just use code TBS 10 at checkout!
- Holle Goat vs Cow Milk Formula
- Holle vs Enfamil
- Holle vs HiPP European Formula
- Holle vs Kabrita Goat Formula
- Holle vs Similac Formula
2. HiPP HA Organic Formula
HiPP HA is another European Formula brand with an long & excellent track record of providing high quality formula (EU standards are often stricter and less manipulated by industry groups than the US).
HiPP HA is naturally more suitable for more little ones because it contains fewer, but higher quality ingredients than most mainstream US formulas. There’s no “corn syrup solids” or additives (the ingredient list in HiPP is literally much shorter).
The formula contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 for your baby’s overall health and development, as well as Praebiotik, which includes lactose, and Vitamins A, B6, C, D, E, and K, among many others.
The formula is suitable for infants on up, although the FDA has not approved (or “disapproved”) use for infants specifically. It’s generally marketed as a “toddler formula” in US distribution channels, even if it’s used and EU certified for infants in Europe.
Made with carefully selected ingredients and the latest generation of HiPP organic quality milk. HiPP infant formula is specifically tailored to meet your baby’s nutritional needs and contains important ingredients for your baby’s development. Use code TBS10 to take 10% off your order.
Where To Buy HiPP: Hipp isn’t always available in stores and not readily carried by major online retailers. BUT I have found 3 reliable stores (below). Generally, I price compare each, as they are all close in price by can be slightly lower depending on deals and promos:
- TheMilkyBox: Little Bundle is another new online retailer, but they have some serious financial backing, looking to disrupt the organic baby formula space with outstanding supply chains and customer service. You can check their selection of HiPP formula here (Use code TBS10 to save 10% off your entire order).
- MyOrganicCompany.store: A newer online retailer, but the easiest store to navigate / great customer service. Check prices specifically for Hipp varieties here (use code THEBABYSWAG to take 5% off at checkout).
- OrganicBabyFood24.de: One of the oldest online retailers, the store is a bit harder to navigate but a good backup if the above two are out of stock.
3. Enfamil Nutramigen Hypoallergenic
The Enfamil Nutramigen formula is great for babies up to one year old. It is an extensively hydrolyzed baby formula that contains many nutritious elements such as minerals, vitamins, and more.
This formula has a pleasant taste and works amazingly for kids who’re lactose intolerant.
- This powder formula contains iron, probiotics, prebiotic, and other essential nutrients;
- Enfamil Nutramigen boosts your infant’s immunity;
- It is said to alleviate colic symptoms (or acid reflux) within hours;
- It works gently on your little one’s tummy.
- This formula is a tad pricey.
Nutramigen LGG Infant Formula is a hypoallergenic formula clinically shown to manage colic due to cow's milk protein allergy fast, in as quickly as 48 hours.
4. Baby’s Only Lactorelief
This Baby’s Only formula is hypoallergenic and organic. It is certified by the USDA and it comes in a BPA-free package. It contains both ARA and DHA which are very important in any hypoallergenic formula. This product was carefully created to provide your baby with the right amount of protein.
- Baby’s Only Lactorelief is an organic formula made of safe and healthy ingredients;
- It is lactose-free and it won’t upset your infant’s tummy;
- This formula is hydrolyzed;
- It is marketed at an affordable price.
- The package is a tad small.
Baby's Only Toddler Formula provides the appropriate amount of protein, essential fats abundant in breast milk, vitamins, and carbohydrates needed to fuel growth to ensure every child gets the best possible start.
5. Enfamil PurAmino Baby Formula
This hypoallergenic baby formula made by Enfamil is fortified with iron and it tastes great. It works amazingly for babies who are extremely allergic to lactose (lactose intolerance) and cow’s milk (cow’s milk allergy). Some infants also deal with iron deficiency and the manufacturer took this problem into consideration when it created this product.
- It is a nutritional formula that works for infants up to six months (standard formula);
- It is fortified with iron and DHA;
- Enfamil PureAmino supports both eye and brain development;
- It is easy to digest by your baby’s sensitive stomach.
- It is quite expensive.
This is a hypoallergenic, iron-fortified, amino acid-based infant formula used for infants and toddlers with severe cow's milk protein allergy, and other food allergies. It’s also suitable for conditions such as protein maldigestion, malabsorption/chronic diarrhea, short bowel syndrome & eosinophilic esophagitis.
6. EleCare Hypoallergenic Powder
If your baby has trouble digesting regular formula, then EleCare powder might be a great option. It is lactose-free and it contains small strands of protein that are easier to digest. The EleCare Formula is based on an amino acid content that handles dietary allergies as well as other health complications.
- This is a fully nutritional baby formula;
- It is fortified with both DHA and iron;
- It will strengthen your infant’s immunity;
- This formula has a better taste compared to other similar products;
- It represents a complete and nutritious meal for babies up to six months of age.
- It is a tad on the pricey side.
7. Similac Alimentum Infant Formula
Similac Alimentum is easy to digest and is enriched with both DHA and ARA. In fact, from what I’ve heard and from the things I’ve learned after talking to numerous parents, this is one of their favorite hypoallergenic baby formulas, especially among those who have lactose-intolerant babies.
- This Similac baby formula offers almost instant relief from both colic and fussiness;
- It comes ready to use;
- It doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients like corn sweeteners and others;
- This product is highly convenient because you can easily feed it to your baby while on the go.
- The cans are pretty small so, you will have to order many of them.
8. Neocate Syneo Infant
The only hypoallergenic infant elemental formula with a clinically tested blend of prebiotics + probiotics, specially designed to support food-allergic infants. Nutritionally complete infant formula. Provides all of the essential nutrients needed for infants 0-12 months.
Being a hypoallergenic formula, this product is easy to digest and its healthy compounds are easily absorbed by your little one’s organism. It is a formula based on amino acids which is a major advantage. The Neocate SyneoTM formula is lactose-free and it’s a great match for babies who suffer from allergic conditions.
- It contains essential amino acids;
- It is a fully nutritional baby formula that meets all the needs of your infant;
- Alleviates gas and colic;
- Works well for many types of allergies;
- It is sold in convenient cans that are easy to store.
- Contains corn syrup which isn’t a very healthy ingredient.
9. Enfamil Pregestimil Baby Formula
The Enfamil Pregestimil is a special formula that was created for those children who cannot easily absorb the healthy fat from this type of product. It is a mild formula that meets all your baby’s nutritional needs without containing fat that might create problems for your little one.
- This hypoallergenic formula is hydrolyzed;
- It is fortified with both RHA and DHA;
- It works amazingly for babies who have an underdeveloped digestive system;
- Enfamil Pregestimil is created with 55% MCT oil.
- According to parents, when purchasing this product, you should pay attention to the formula’s expiry date.
Pregestimil is specially designed for infants who experience fat malabsorption & who may also be sensitive to intact proteins.
How to Find the Best Hypoallergenic Baby Formula for Your Infant
Here are some things you must consider before purchasing the proper hypoallergenic formula for your sensitive baby.
Choosing the Right Brand
When your infant has a hard time digesting regular formulas, you should always think about buying a hypoallergenic powder. But selecting the best product requires a careful approach and some research.
Most formula brands also market a hypoallergenic version but parents should carefully opt for those items that are completely reliable and nutritious. In this case, it is better to opt for a reputable brand.
I recommend you discuss this issue with your baby’s pediatrician. From what I know and after doing some in-depth research, I consider both Enfamil and Similac the most trustworthy hypoallergenic formula brands on the market.
Most parents want the best possible products for their children but many of them are concerned with issues such as price. Hypoallergenic formulas are special products and they come at a higher price compared to regular formulas.
Although these products could create a significant dent in your wallet, when it comes to your baby, you should never compromise. Don’t sacrifice quality over price because cheaper formulas are usually less safe and less healthy.
Hint! If you opt for formulas based on amino acids (amino acid based formula) then you should expect an even higher price tag.
Types of Hypoallergenic Formulas
- Soy-based formulas – these products are a pretty good alternative to formulas based on cow milk but up to 14% of the babies who’re allergic to lactose will also react to soy formula. I personally wouldn’t recommend soy based formulas (soy protein / soy milk) because scientists don’t really know the effects long-term use might have on an infant, especially non-organic options;
- Partially-hydrolyzed formulas – these products contain broken milk protein but the pieces are still quite large and they can lead to allergic reactions;
- Extensively hydrolyzed formulas – these formulas are safer because they’re completely hypoallergenic. The protein like casein is broken into tiny pieces that are easily digested and absorbed;
- Goat milk formulas – goat milk formulas (goat specialty formula) work pretty well for babies who don’t really have allergies but are sensitive to cow milk (milk allergy);
- Formulas based on amino acids – amino acid-based formulas are also totally hypoallergenic and they lack whole protein molecules altogether which means your baby won’t be triggered by these products. They are also expensive.
All formulas should be a totally nutritious meal for your infant, regardless of their ingredients or characteristics. Here are some important elements that all nutritional formulas should contain:
- DHA and ARA;
- Omega-3 fatty acids;
- Omega-6 fatty acids;
- Fortified with iron.
The best hypoallergenic infant formula options are those that contain safe and organic ingredients that are certified by high-authority institutions such as the USDA. It is also very clever to pick a product that’s regulated and certified by independent authorities.
Regarding the taste, baby formulas are pretty controversial because many of them have an unpleasant taste. On the other hand, it is better to sacrifice taste and choose a healthier baby formula, one that doesn’t contain corn syrup (corn syrup solids), artificial flavors, and other taste-enhancing agents.
Feel free to try several different hypoallergenic formulas to see which one tastes better but you must have realistic expectations when it comes to this.
Why Should You Opt for Hypoallergenic Baby Formulas?
We never want our babies to suffer or experience any kind of health problem. So, when our infants have allergies, it is kind of heartbreaking for us, moms. Doctors say that breast milk might prevent allergies but if your child was born that way, you need to think about other viable options.
So, here are the main reasons why you should choose a hypoallergenic formula instead of a regular one:
- It alleviated your baby’s allergies and relieves symptoms of colic and fussiness – having tiny protein particles makes these formula milk options a lot easier to digest;
- These types of special formulas help your baby experience a smoother bowel movement – simply put, your little bundle of joy won’t have to deal with painful pooping. If your baby has diarrhea or cries every time he or she passes stool it might mean that the formula you’re currently using isn’t the right one;
- There are partially hydrolyzed and extensively hydrolyzed formulas – I personally think you should choose the second type of powdered formula because that’s the one that is completely hypoallergenic and mild on your baby’s stomach. But if this fails to work too, then you should choose an amino acid-based one although it is more expensive – amino acids are the simplest form of protein so it will be very easy for your little one to process them;
- It might clear away skin issues like eczema – eczema is caused by a number of factors and it is not necessarily an allergic reaction although it is often linked to food allergies. In that situation, hypoallergenic formulas could help;
- It could solve respiratory problems – does your baby cough a lot? Did you notice a lot of mucus in his or her nose? Those could be signs of a respiratory infection and you shouldn’t leave it untreated.
Question: What Are Hypoallergenic Formulas?
Answer: Totally hypoallergenic baby formulas are those that contain tiny broken bits of protein that come from non-allergenic sources, other than cow milk. The best types of hypoallergenic formulas are extensively hydrolyzed ones and powders that rely on amino acids.
Question: Can Your Baby React to a Hypoallergenic Formula?
Answer: Unfortunately, the answer is yes, especially when you opt for a partially hydrolyzed formula that contains bigger protein particles that are harder to digest. It is also based on how sensitive is your infant. So, in some cases, some reactions might occur.
Question: What Are the Signs of Formula Allergy?
There are certain symptoms that you should be aware of:
• Skin reactions like rashes and lip swelling;
• Digestive issues such as colic, gas, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea;
• Blocked or runny nose.