- Baby Food Recall List : Baby and Toddler Food Recalls - September 29, 2022
- Dr. Brown vs Avent Bottles : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
- Snuggle Me vs DockaTot : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
New parents are constantly warned about trivial fussiness and even the possibility of their new babies rejecting most formulas at first, but in the grand scheme of things, there are bigger digestive issues. Which is where this Gerber Good Start Soothe review will help parents in making an informed formula decision.
Since excessive gas and subsequent colic can affect plenty of newborns, getting a formula that is made specifically to treat those issues could make a huge difference in the digestive systems of babies.
Even for parents who choose breast milk over formula, sometimes the different gastrointestinal issues become things that can’t be dealt with unless parents turn to varieties of formula that are made to aid indigestion. Gerber Good Start Soothe is a formula designed to reduce colic, gas, and fussiness in babies, but also to provide nutrition.
Of course, in the end, it may not be the best choice for all families, but this review of the Gerber Good Start Soothe formula will, at the very least, provide parents with an option for their babies. The formula can be found at Target and a variety of drugstores as well as online at Babies ‘R Us and Target. On Amazon, the Gerber Good Start Soothe formula is about $25-29 for a 22.2-ounce container.
- 1 Features of Good Start Soothe | Gerber Soothe Review
- 2 How Others Compare – Gerber Good Start Ease Alternatives
- 3 Enfamil Gentlease
- 4 Similac Alimentum
- 5 Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula With Iron
- 6 Good Start Soothe Alternatives | Comparison Table
- 7 Gerber Soothe Reviews From Parents
- 8 Final Thoughts: Does Good Start Soothe Live up to the Label?
Features of Good Start Soothe | Gerber Soothe Review
- The probiotics play a big role: L. reuteri (which are found in breastmilk) are proven to reduce crying time in regards to gas by as much as 50%.
- The vitamins are definitely there: Made with DHA, which aids in the development of the brain and eye development, the formula also has iron and a 30% lactose blend which helps ease the gas and subsequent fussiness in babies.
- There are still healthy proteins: In fact, the small proteins in the Gerber Good Start Soothe are made to be more easily digestible for infants’ stomachs.
- It can be used for a while: The Gerber Good Start Soothe formula can actually be used from birth up until 12 months of age, meaning that parents can choose it as their primary formula right from the start.
Pros of Good Start Soothe
- It still has some of the health benefits of natural breast milk.
- The formula is made to be more easily digestible for babies.
- Being able to use it or the duration of a baby’s infant months is a definite plus.
- It’s also a non-GMO product, made with no genetically engineered ingredients.
- The Gerber Good Start Soothe formula may not necessarily work for every colicky baby.
- It may work for some time before other digestive issues arise regardless.
- Since it’s made to reduce gas, it might actually cause constipation in babies instead.
How Others Compare – Gerber Good Start Ease Alternatives
As another non-GMO formula made to supplement the nutrition babies might be missing from breast milk in a healthy way, Enfamil Gentlease is also made to treat and soothe colic in babies. According to its website, it’s also the “#1 Pediatrician recommended brand for gassy and fussy babies,” which should give new parents plenty of peace of mind.
There’s a newborn formula for babies from 0-3 months old and then an infant formula made for babies from 3-12 months old, making each one specially formulated for the appropriate age ranges.
The formula also advertises as many as 30 helpful nutrients to promote health and growth in babies while treating gas and fussiness. It comes in either powder form or individual bottles and can be found on the manufacturer’s website in bulk.
- It has a high turnaround: The formula claims to give parents and babies results in just 24 hours after use.
- The nutrients are legitimate: The container for the Enfamil Gentlease formula says that it’s the brand’s latest formula for real breast milk.
- It’s versatile: With the ability to choose either a powder or already mixed formula, there is some convenience added to it.
- It might work differently for different babies: Although it’s made to treat fussiness and gas, for some babies, the gas part might be covered, while the reflux isn’t, or vice versa.
- Not all formulas work forever: Even if the Enfamil Gentlease helps at first, some babies’ gas or colic issues may be bigger and therefore, this won’t continue working for them for very long.
Made specifically for both colic and food allergies, the Similac Alimentum formula is good for babies who are allergic to certain food proteins or prone to colic behavior, and those who may need a healthy fat supplement in their diet in order to gain the right amount of weight for their age.
Gluten-free, the formula is a breast milk alternative that is formulated to minimize the gas in fussy babies in a 24 hour turnaround time from babies drinking it for the first time.
Since the formula in Similac Alimentum is made to treat colic that comes about specifically because of a protein sensitivity, it may not work for all babies. But like any other formula similar to the Gerber Good Start Soothe, it’s another one that’s worth a try.
- There’s science behind it: The formula is made with a blend of two different carbohydrates which maximize absorption in babies’ digestive systems.
- It’s not just free of gluten: In addition to being gluten-free, it’s also free of palm olein oil, which is found in some other formulas and can lead to firmer and more uncomfortable bowel movements for babies.
- It can be given in more than one way: Parents can either choose to mix formula from the canister or use one of the premade bottles that come in two ounces or four from the eight-ounce or one-quart container.
- The price doesn’t stack up: At $44 for a 16 ounce can of the powder formula, it comes at a higher price per ounce than several other colics and soothes formulas of the same kind.
- Parents might not find it too appetizing: Although babies might enjoy the Similac Alimentum formula, the smell of it might be strong for parents and caregivers.
- Other problems could arise: Since the formula works for gas and fussiness from gas and colic, it may conversely contribute to constipation in babies as a result.
As an organic formula, Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron is designed to treat fussiness and gas in babies, mainly with its DHA and ARA contents, which are both found in breast milk and contribute to the eye and brain development of babies. It’s also low in lactose and contains whey while remaining easy to digest for babies’ small stomachs.
The formula also has iron, which promotes red blood cell development, and its low lactose recipe makes it easier to digest for babies who may have an intolerance to milk or who are colicky or fussy from the gas that sometimes comes along with dairy in babies.
- It has plenty of heath benefits: In addition to the DHA and AHA, the Earth’s Best formula also lutein, which is good for babies’ eyes, and prebiotics for their immunity.
- Parents will save on wipes: With less frequent stools and less messy ones too, parents will save on baby wipes in the long run.
- It helps babies in other ways too: In addition to gas problems, the formula might help reduce acid reflux in babies as well.
- The main ingredient makes a difference: Since the main ingredient is glucose syrup solids instead of milk, the way the formula mixes and even tastes can vary and feel different to different babies.
- Mixing needs to be precise: So as not to make a bottle that’ too runny and thin and the water mixed in should be warm enough to make the formula dissolve or it won’t turn out properly.
Good Start Soothe Alternatives | Comparison Table
[table id=7 responsive=collapse]
Gerber Soothe Reviews From Parents
“Only formula my nursed babies could take that wouldn’t give them belly aches. Great for supplementing an acid reflux baby. Just wish It didn’t take me trying 4 others before we found this one.” – Ashley on Amazon.
“Absolutely love this formula! We tried everything and this is by far our favorite. No stinky spit up really and the ONLY one I’ve found with probiotics. Which are sooooo good for their immune systems.” – Kstrat on Amazon.
“Baby had reflux and we tried one other formula before the doctor recommended this. There was no going back or trying anything else after trying this. Right from the start, we noticed a HUGE difference with his level of comfort, sleep, he was crying less. I was so happy to find a product that honestly did soothe him. Totally worth every penny.” – Penny on Amazon.
Final Thoughts: Does Good Start Soothe Live up to the Label?
Even if a baby isn’t born with colic or doesn’t suffer from extreme gassiness in the first few weeks, if parents are going to shoot for formula feeding over breast milk, the Gerber Good Start Soothe might be smart right from the beginning. The health benefits of the formula are also hard to ignore, as they are formulated with enough nutrients and vitamins to supply the baby with the right nutrition while at the same time helping him or her with their colic.
It may just be a stepping stone on the way to finding the right formula for each individual family, but the Gerber Good Start Soothe formula is definitely one to consider regardless.
Further Research on Baby Formulas