The Holle Baby Formula isn’t available in the U.S. just yet, but since you can indeed purchase it online regardless of where you’re located, it’s one of the higher rated milk-based baby formulas out there. In this Holle baby formula review, I’ll get to the bottom of why this is important.
Made with real milk, the formula is made to mimic the nutrients and benefits from actual breastmilk and might be the closest your child will get, next to the real thing of course.
It can be used right from birth, so there’s no waiting to get your baby started on the formula, and right away, it will begin to give your little one the nutrition and vitamins they need for healthy growth and development.
Unlike some other formulas which claim to be full of nothing but the nutrition your infant needs, the Holle Baby Formula does not contain any added sugar, wheat, or gluten, so you can be sure that you’ve done everything to choose a gentle enough formula for your baby’s sensitive tummy.
The overall ingredients in the formula are 99% organic (and biodynamic) with added vitamins and minerals, including iron. Like so many other formulas for formula feeding, all you have to do to prepare a bottle is to add warm water to allow the powder to dissolve properly and mix it up.
The first stage of the formula can be used for babies from birth up until six months old and then you can adhere to the different Holle Baby Formula stages that come after that for different age ranges.
But if you’re looking for a formula that mimics real breast milk and gets the closest it can to the real thing, then this could very well be the right one for your baby.
As Holle is a European baby formula brand originally, it can be hard to find online (as with any European formula). However, I’ve had very good service going with MyOrganicCompany.store here. If this doesn’t work, try ordering DIRECT from the new HolleUSA site here (FDA registered).
MyOrganicCompany.store offers some of the LOWEST prices and best SELECTION of organic European baby formula in BULK. They have generously offered our readers and additional 5% OFF orders with code THEBABYSWAG at checkout!
- 1 Best Holle Alternatives to Consider
- 2 Holle Compared to Other Formulas
- 3 Where to Buy Holle Formula
- 4 FAQ’s About Holle
- 5 Conclusion: Holle Formula Review
Holle Organic Baby Formula Formula Features
- It’s made from organic ingredients and with biodynamic cow’s milk from cows raised on biodynamic farms (and organic farming), which should give you peace of mind. The infant milk powder formula has essential fatty acids that come from Maltodextrin, which comes from organic corn and vegetable oils.
- The formula is as close to breastmilk as possible regarding its vitamins, minerals, and iron.
- You can use the stage one formula for your baby right from birth and even switch it out with breast milk as needed.
- It contains no artificial additives or preservatives but still has a long shelf life.
Holle Formula Pros
- The formula is gentle enough on infants’ stomachs to help prevent extra spitting up or constipation.
- Nutritionally Complete ingredients, It’s made with organically grown ingredients and organically raised ingredients
- Made from grass-fed cows and farms that treat their cows humanely.
- Naturally contains essential fatty acids
- Your baby can likely go from drinking the Holle Baby Formula to breast milk and back again without noticing too much of a difference.
- Unlike some other baby formulas, the smell and taste aren’t too overpowering.
- Holle infant formula also offers a goat milk alternative (excellent hypoallergenic formula option)
- No corn syrup, corn syrup solids, brown rice syrup, or other additives
- Fully biodynamic (Demeter milk), certified by Biolands
- Can cut formula while transitioning to food solids
- 100% soy free
Holle Formula Cons
- Since you can only purchase it online if you’re in the U.S., you’ll have to wait a long time for a refund if your baby doesn’t respond well to it.
- There are different stages of the formula to adhere to, as opposed to having one set formula suitable for babies from birth to 12 months of age.
- Does contain maltodextrin and palm olein oil (palm oil)
- It’s a tad more expensive than other popular brands of infant milk-based organic formulas available (although you can order in bulk here to save)
Best Holle Alternatives to Consider
1. Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula
Earth’s Best is known for making organic formula in a variety of different ways. So of course they also have the Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula that’s also milk-based and made with ingredients that make it taste as close to the real thing as they could get.
It contains DHA and ARA for brain and eye development in your baby, Lutein for their eyes, and infant prebiotic fiber (prebiotics) for an active and healthy immune system.
Since it contains so many of the nutrients found in breast milk, your baby will be able to get all of the nutrition they need when they can’t or won’t take breast milk itself. You can buy the formula on Amazon or in-store at Target.
On Amazon, a 23.2 ounce can of Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula is around $25.
- The formula ingredients are gentle enough on your baby’s stomach to help prevent colic and the gas pains that come along with it.
- There’s very little chance of extra spit-up and reflux once your baby switches to the Earth’s Best option.
- It contains all of the necessary nutritional benefits that come with breast milk.
- Your baby can use it even past the one year mark, which is especially beneficial as most toddler formulas (toddler formula) have added sugars and this does not.
- Going back and forth between this formula and breast milk can potentially upset your baby’s stomach.
- In some cases, it can make for firmer bowel movements, which might make them hard to pass for some infants.
- Some little ones might get a little gassier after drinking this particular formula.
Enfamil has a ton of different gentle formula options, including the Enfamil Premium Gentlease Formula, which is made with easier to digest small protein ingredients that are gentle on your baby’s digestive system.
It also contains a hefty amount of DHA and inositol, which helps aid in proper brain development.
This means that your child will get all of the nutrients that he or she needs, even if this is a formula and not actual breast milk. Because of all of the nutrients that the formula offers, it’s close to breast milk, which is especially beneficial if your baby can’t get the real thing.
You can find it on the manufacturer’s website right here.
On Amazon, a 21.5 ounce container of the Enfamil Premium Gentlease Formula is $48.
- The formula has more DHA than some other similar formulas, so it’s even more beneficial than you might think.
- It can prevent excessive gas and subsequent gas pains in babies.
- In most cases, it’s relatively easy for babies to transition from breast milk to this formula since it’s so close to the real thing.
- The mixed formula is a little thicker than others, so it might be more difficult for babies to get it down.
- The price can sometimes fluctuate randomly and in turn become a little less affordable for some families.
- Some babies might find the taste to be more bitter than that of other similar milk-based formulas.
Enfamil can actually be ordered in BULK directly from the main brand. Because it's direct to consumer, this means extra savings for you, plus if you have any product quality issues it's MUCH easier to deal with Enfamil directly.
Overall, the Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Infant Formula is designed to help ease fussiness gas, excessive crying, and colic, so already it’s a pretty solid choice and definitely comparable to the Holle Baby Formula.
Part of what makes it so gentle on the stomach is the Comfort Proteins, which are small proteins that are easier to digest, DHA for brain and eye development, and a carbohydrate blend made with 30% lactose.
There are no artificial growth hormones, and the ingredients are all necessary for keeping your baby healthy and promoting healthy overall growth, which is exactly what they need in a formula. You can find it on Amazon and online at Walmart.com and Target.com.
On Amazon, a 22.2 ounce container of Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Infant Formula is $26.
- The gentle ingredients and nutrients are helpful in keeping your baby from growing fussy or uncomfortable with gas.
- There are generally no issues in getting the formula to dissolve once it’s mixed thoroughly with water.
- It will likely make your baby’s bowel movements less liquidy, but also less firm or hard.
- Although it dissolves relatively easily, the formula might also have some initial clumps that need to be broken up before mixing.
- Milk Allergy: If your child develops a milk protein allergy, which can happen, you’ll need to stop using this particular formula right away.
- It’s so lightweight that even when mixed with water, the formula may not fill your baby’s tummy as quickly as other formulas.
4. Similac Organic Non-GMO Infant Formula
Like the Holle Baby Formula and some others that compare to it, the Similac Organic Non-GMO Infant Formula is made with real milk and contains all that your baby needs or would get from breast milk.
With Similac’s OptiGRO mixture of nutrients and ingredients, your baby is sure to get everything he or she needs, as it includes a blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E, for your baby’s brain and eye development as well as his or her immune system development.
Of course, that’s nothing new with formulas such as these, but this particular option from Similac is comparable to everything that the Holle Baby Formula offers. You can buy it on Amazon or in-store at Walmart and Target.
On Amazon, a two-pack of 32 ounce containers of Similac Organic Non- Genetically Modified Infant Formula is about $96.
- The formula is made with a special blend of nutrients specific to those found in breast milk.
- Overall, it mixes well with water with minimal clumping, if at all, so you can be sure that your baby will have a fully dissolved bottle of formula each time.
- The smell and taste aren’t overpowering, so it’s likely that your baby will take to it easily, especially if it’s new for them.
- It might be a little costly for some parents.
- There may be some residue left over on the inside of the bottle once your baby has finished it.
- Some babies can become constipated after drinking this particular brand.
Holle Compared to Other Formulas
We’ve done some head-to-head comparisons of Holle versus others below:
- Holle vs Kabrita
- Holle vs Baby’s Only
- Holle vs Similac
- Holle vs Hipp Formula
- Holle vs NannyCare Formula
- Holle vs Lebenswert
- Holle vs Topfer
- Holle vs Loulouka
Where to Buy Holle Formula
FINDING Holle online is not an easy task. It’s generally not readily available via Amazon and other major formula retailers. However, I’ve compiled a list of verified online suppliers below (and actually tested – all delivered as ordered).
- HolleUSA.com: Holle recently registered with the FDA and now sells larger containers direct via this storefront here. I would check here first to establish a baseline price before comparing to the other retailars below (with discounts).
- Huggable.com: Huggable is a relatively NEW organic formula retailer, but they have done a great job with customer support, service and selection. Check this listing for their latest Holle prices. (Use code TBS5 here for 5% off your total order).
- MyOrganicCompany.store: This is my go-to source for ease of use (site is the easiest to navigate) and generally ships quickly with great customer service. Note, you can use code THEBABYSWAG to save 10% at checkout.
- OrganicBabyShop.com: OBS offers some of the lowest prices for individual boxes, while also offering our readers 5% off their entire order with code BABYSWAG5 at checkout.
- OrganicBabyFood24.de: This supplier has a US based site, but is based in Germany. This means they typically are well stocked in case one of the above options is limited on stock or varieties.
- Formuland.com: Generally has slightly cheaper prices in bulk, but the site is harder to navigate / sometimes out of stock.
FAQ’s About Holle
Where is Holle made?
Holle is a German Organic baby formula that is made of 99% organic ingredients and is suitable for babies formula feeding as a substitution to breast milk or as an addition to breast milk. There are two variants of the Holle formulas and they are made of goat milk and cow milk.
What’s the difference between HiPP and Holle?
Hipp and Holle are slightly different when it comes to their formula. Hipp uses lactose as sweeteners for their formulas while Holle uses maltodextrin which is a plant-based sweetener. In addition, Hipp produces only cow milk formula in different stages, while Holle offers Holle goat milk formula and cow milk formulas which are also divided into different stages. Considering they dissolve in water, Hipp is much easier to do than Holle, and with Holle, there is very oftenly a powder residue on the bottom.
Can Holle formula be refrigerated?
As it is the case with any other formula, Holle can be refrigerated and should be given to your baby in less than 24 hours.
How long can Holle milk stay at room temperature after it’s been prepared?
You should not give your baby milk that has been older than 2 hours.
Conclusion: Holle Formula Review
The Holle Baby Formula is easily one of the top milk-based organic formulas out there that mimic the taste and consistency of real breast milk. There’s certainly nothing wrong with switching to formula exclusively, and if you need to have your baby on formula and formula alone, Holle Baby will give him or her what they need.
When compared to other similar formulas, the Holle Baby Formula is relatively affordable and offers everything needed to aid your child’s development.
Other similar milk-based organic formulas offer some of the same nutrients and benefits, but you still can’t ignore all that Holle Baby has to offer, especially if you have a particularly fussy gassy baby on your hands.
Of course, it’s not ideal that it’s a product available overseas and that to purchase it from the U.S., it has to be done online only, but it’s a small inconvenience over what might be the perfect formula for your baby.
Further Reading on Other Formula Options:
- Full Similac Advance Review
- HiPP Organic Formula Review
- Best Formula for Gassy Infants
- Best Baby Formula Options for Colic
- Top Dairy Free Formula Choices
- Best Places to Find Baby Formula Online
- What’s the Difference Between Generic and Non-GMO Formula