When putting your baby to sleep, it is never as easy as simply laying him or her in their crib and walking away. They might need extra rocking, swaying, or music before they’re comfortable enough to fall asleep. And even then, they could wake up moments after you lay them down.
Luckily, there are vibrating mattress pads to help keep your little one comfortable while they nap or sleep for the evening.
But what is the best soother for your baby’s crib? If you look at the Tranquilo Soothing Mat vs the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad, you can see two potential options for any parent in need of a way to soothe and keep their infant sleeping soundly. But as with any baby products, there are some differences to consider before making a choice between the two.
The Munchkin Lulla-Vibe, for example, is a lot smaller, which means you can easily tuck it on the inside of a crib, under the mattress, or even in your baby’s stroller to continue the vibrating comfort away from home. Then again, the Tranquilo Soothing Mat has so many different settings to really give your baby an individual level of comfort that he or she prefers.
It’s also considerably more expensive than the Munchkin, mind you, but for some parents, the cost might very well be worth it.
They are both potential options to help keep your baby comfortable and soothed while they sleep. Either one of these can be the difference between a baby who sleeps through the night and an infant who wakes up the moment you lay him or her down in their crib after rocking. But consider all of the good and all of the not so great of each pad before you make your decision.
Bottom Line Up Front: While both the pad and mat do their job in soothing babies to sleep, the stronger option would have to be the Tranquilo Soothing Mat Yes, it’s significantly more costly than the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad, but you get what you pay for.
- 1 Tranquilo Soothing Mat
- 2 Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad
- 3 The Verdict: Lulla-Vibe or Tranquilo?
- 4 FAQ
- 5 Final Thoughts
The Tranquilo Soothing Mat might be the more “high end” option here and for good reason. It has a rectangular shape to fit perfectly on top of any mattress, play mat, or bassinet to give your child hours of uninterrupted comfort while they sleep.
Through white noise and vibration, the mat mimics the sound and feeling of being in the womb. This leads to the most comfortable sleeping environment a baby could hope for as they transition to sleeping through the night. It’s battery-operated and has a water-resistant interior and removable machine washable exterior cover.
There are multiple levels of vibration and heartbeat sounds to choose from to best suit your infant and there’s even a 60-minute automatic shut-off so it doesn’t drain the batteries too quickly.
Although it might be as long as your baby or close to it, it’s still lightweight enough to roll up and put in your diaper bag to take on the go. And without any complicated cords or controls, it’s easy to unroll it and place it in your stroller if needed.
Plus, it comes in two different sizes to be able to soothe and comfort your baby from birth all the way up to 12 months old.
Tramquilo Soothing Mat Features
- Size: The small mat is 11 x 9 inches and the large is 11 x 23 inches.
- Settings: It has two heartbeat levels and vibration settings of extra low, low, medium, and high.
- Price: Check out the lowest price on Amazon.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this mat.
- It’s completely portable and easy to use in a pinch.
- There are so many settings to choose from and go back and forth between, depending on your baby’s needs on any given day.
- Since there are two different sizes, you can get use out of the pad for a long time.
- There is a timer setting to shut the mat off so you don’t keep it on and vibrating all night.
- You can take off the exterior cover to wash it if your baby has an accident.
- The mat itself is a little noisy when there’s movement on it since it’s made from a water-resistant material.
- It’s pricier than the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe and might be a little too pricey in general for some families.
- The large size is longer than the small, but it still won’t fit most babies’ entire body on it.
- It does go through batteries rather quickly, especially if you don’t use the auto-off feature.
Tranquilo Soothing Mat Reviews
“The Tranquilo Mat has saved us! My son is almost four months and refused to sleep in his bassinet for almost two months until we discovered the tranquilo mat, now he sleeps in his bed every night eight-plus hours and even during his naps! Thank you so much to the creators of the Tranquilo Mat your product is absolutely amazing!” – Brittany Seibert on Amazon.
“I bought the large before my daughter was born. She loves it! She’s now almost five months and we use it often. I use it when we go to the grandparent’s house because lugging around her swing just doesn’t cut it. I also fly every two months to visit family in Florida. This is perfect for the airport, car ride, and what she sleeps on in her bassinet at my Mom’s.” – Chynna M. on Amazon.
“My newborn son has refused to sleep in the bassinet or crib, (and the bassinest has a vibration mode built-in). When I use the Tranquilo Mat he instantly settles down and I can get him to sleep almost anywhere. It’s making the sleeping transition so much easier! And I love that it’s portable so I can pack it up and bring it everywhere. I wish they made these for adults.” – Jesyka Harris on Amazon.
“The Tranquilo Soothing Mat is amazing! I first used it when my baby had her vaccines. She was crying a lot and very cranky and once I put her on the mat she started to smile. I couldn’t manage to get her to sleep in her bassinet, but the mat made tummy time more enjoyable. I highly recommend Tranquilo Soothing Mat.” – Barbara Palhano on Amazon.
At first glance, the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad might not seem up to par with the Tranquilo Soothing Mat, if only because of its smaller size, but you definitely shouldn’t judge this one by appearance alone. The pad can be tucked into the side of your baby’s crib, under their mattress, or even in the side of their stroller to continue to give them soothing comfort at any time.
And unlike the Tranquilo, you can easily remove the pad while your baby sleeps to change the batteries or just keep it out of the way and allow them to sleep on their own once they’ve been soothed to sleep. It has an automatic 30-minute timer, but it turns off gradually, so it won’t be a sudden change for your sleeping infant.
It also has a soft and easy-to-clean cover. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a ton of little settings to choose from, but it does have a simple on and off button, which can sometimes be easier and preferred over the alternative.
The goal with this one is to create soothing vibrations to help lull your baby to sleep without any added noises or songs that babies might come to rely on. And since it’s so compact, it is easy to take the mattress pad with you anywhere you go with your little one.
Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Features
- Size: The dimensions are 11 x 2.4 x 9.4 inches.
- Settings: It has two vibration speeds to choose from.
- Price: Check out the latest price directly via Munchkin.com
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad.
- It’s easy to place the pad in any crib, bassinet, or stroller overnight or on the fly.
- Compared to the Tranquillo, the Lulla-Vibe is more affordable.
- It has enough padding that it won’t make a mattress uncomfortable if you slide it underneath for hours at a time.
- The pad turns off gradually instead of suddenly, so it can keep your baby from waking up with a start.
- You can easily toss it in your diaper bag on the go.
- The batteries might not last too long with this one.
- It’s not a mat, so your baby can’t lay directly on top of this one comfortably.
- There aren’t many settings, so there’s a chance that both of the vibration settings won’t be enough to comfort your baby.
- It can sometimes feel a little warm after it’s been on for a while.
Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Reviews
“This is honestly one of our most used baby item. We keep it in the car seat but also use it went when traveling to soothe baby to rest. People are always asking what it is and I gladly show them and recommend it. It is a daily use at our house.” – J. Behnke on Amazon.
“I love this product! My baby outgrew her rocker at three months. Now she sleeps in a mini pack ‘n play next to my bed, I use this in the corner of the bassinet part and she goes right to sleep. When she’s downstairs I put in the corner of the large pack n play. I love that it’s portable, lightweight and easy to use. After a while it will turn itself off, which is really helpful or I’d have to change the batteries all the time. In fact, I just changed the batteries for the first time after a month of continuous use, I think that was pretty good.” – Melissa White on Amazon.
“I first discovered this product when my photographer used it on my son during his newborn photo shoot. It lulled him to sleep the entire time! So I bought it and have used it ever since and it is so great for helping him sleep alone in his crib and for when his stomach is upset. Easy to use and turns off on its own after some time.” – Elle O’Bara on Amazon.
“This thing has seriously been a life saver. My twins have been difficult since coming home from the NICU, and transitioning from a rock ‘n play to a crib has been super easy with this under the crib mattress! I love that it has a timer so that it automatically shuts off, which is worry free! Have used it now for six months and haven’t had any issues!” – Ashley Lewis on Amazon.
The Verdict: Lulla-Vibe or Tranquilo?
While both the pad and mat do their job in soothing babies to sleep, the stronger option would have to be the Tranquilo Soothing Mat. Yes, it’s significantly more costly than the Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad, but you get what you pay for.
With some families, it may indeed be worth the extra cost. It comes in two sizes, it has multiple functions, including a heartbeat noise, to soothe your baby to sleep, and the exterior cover is machine washable.
The Munchkin Lulla-Vibe is certainly convenient in its own way, especially when it comes to ease of use and the price. But when you compare the two options to soothe your fussy baby, the Tranquilo Soothing Mat will likely get the job done more efficiently.
Is the vibration bad for my baby?
As a parent, it is completely normal to feel protective of your little one and to even question some products. A lot of parents have questioned vibrations and they want to know how they affect their babies, so the truth is, vibrations are not bad for your little one, but you should always check any product you purchase so it does not represent a choking hazard.
Can my baby sleep in a vibrating pad all night?
There is no harm of letting your little one sleep on the pad all night, but there should not be any need to do that, because once your baby is in deep sleep you can turn the vibrations off and let him/her rest on the pad without having to take it off. In cases when your little one moves during her/his sleep, you can leave the pad vibrating for one hour and wait for it to automatically turn off.
Anyone who has ever had a fussy baby who won’t allow you to put them down without screaming can appreciate the benefit in either of these soothing pads. When it comes down to it, the Tranquilo is the stronger option, but really, you can’t go wrong with making the decision to get one, period.
Bottom Line: It can help particularly fussy babies get to sleep more easily and can allow them to start to actually sleep through the night. It’s not a cure-all by any means, but the Tranquilo Soothing Mat, in particular, can be a Godsend for parents and infants alike.
- Best Baby and Toddler Nap Mats
- Sleepyhead vs Dockatot Compared
- My Full Newton Baby Mattress Review You’ll Have to Read
- Top 7 Best Organic Crib Mattresses Options for 2019
Recommended Sleeping Essentials:
The only certified organic crib mattress that's also breathable. Organic cotton fabric with three-dimensional breathable space