- Enfamil Gentlease vs Similac Sensitive: Which is Best? - September 29, 2022
- Evenflo Reversi Stroller Review: A Great Lightweight Model At a Decent Price - September 28, 2022
- Kendamil vs Aptamil: Which Is the Best Formula for Your Baby? - September 23, 2022
Making sure your child eats healthily is so important, but it can be tricky to know which are the best baby food brands to use when there are so many available. In this comparison, we’ll be looking at Little Spoon vs Yumi. You might have already heard of them, but if they’re new to you, then both offer fresh, organic baby foods that are delivered directly to your front door.
They also use a whole range of ingredients that are key to your baby’s growth and development and are great for introducing your child to spices and flavors that will get their palettes primed for different puree foods as they get older.
Many baby foods are unfortunately packed with added preservatives to keep their goods on the shelf for longer. Jarred food also contains a fair amount of sugars and artificial flavors rather than real ingredients to give each one a more pleasant taste.
This may mean your baby will eat it up readily, but they won’t be getting the nutrition they need in this vital stage of their lives. According to research, 65% of nutrients go straight to a baby’s brain. This statistic shows just how important proper nutrition is in the early stages.
Both baby food delivery services are similar in nature, but they both offer something unique, and you’ll definitely have your preference at the end. From the key features to the pros and cons, our comparison has got you covered.
Bottom Line Up Front Verdict: I personally preferred the transparent ingredients, easy customizations (including finger food) and seamless (and more frequent) delivery offered by Yumi here (use code BABYSWAG50 at checkout) . If you need to pick one, I’d recommend starting with Yumi.
- 1 Main Differences Between Little Spoon vs Yumi
- 2 Little Spoon vs Yumi – Which is Better for You and Your Baby?
- 3 Little Spoon
- 4 Yumi
- 5 The Verdict – Which is Best Overall?
- 6 Final Thoughts on Yumi vs Little Spoon
- 7 Recommended Organic Baby Food
- 8 FAQs
Main Differences Between Little Spoon vs Yumi
The main differences between Little Spoon vs Yumi are:
- Little Spoon delivers their food every two weeks, whereas Yumi delivers once a week.
- Yumi offers finger foods as well as puréed food, whereas Little Spoon only offers purées and no finger food.
- Little Spoon chooses the meals for you, whereas Yumi offers a little more flexibility to pick what’s in your box.
Little Spoon vs Yumi – Which is Better for You and Your Baby?
On the surface, Little Spoon vs Yumi may look similar, but they both have their own unique selling points. Our expert moms and dads have looked into both extensively, weighing up the key features and pros and cons to leaving you with a better understanding of which one might work for you and your family and when to start baby-led weaning. Check out our in-depth review below to find out more.
Little Spoon baby food delivery service believes that first bites matter. Using over 80 organic ingredients, their baby food range is designed to cater fully to your child’s needs. Where other baby food brands use preservatives and extreme cooking methods to create their food, Little Spoon uses only fresh ingredients (sweet potato, banana, apples, veggie puree, etc…).
By exposing children to a wide range of ingredients, your child’s palette is expanded and less likely to lead to them being picky eaters later on in life. It also ensures that they’re getting a balanced diet while their brain and body are developing.
To get started, you enter your email address and give detailed answers about your child’s birthday, what they eat, whether they have any allergies and how they’re fed (through breast or formula, for example).
This will create a tailored puree plan for your child’s needs, and from there, you can choose whether you want a delivery of one, two, or three baby meals a day. You’ll receive your delivery in recycled packaging with insulation to keep your food cool and fresh (best practices for food delivery service).
To create your baby’s personalized meal plan, pediatricians and nutritionists look at your baby’s personal developmental history. This is then paired with cutting-edge technology and specialist nutrition science to determine which puree meals you should be sent.
Throughout your plan, Little Spoon will keep giving food recommendations that support your baby’s growth and health needs. With each milestone your baby hits, the Little Spoon team will share what’s happening in your baby’s body and how they’re developing at their current stage.
Unless your baby suffers from allergies or food intolerances, Little Spoon actually discourages you from modifying the flavors in your order. This is because of how tailored your baby’s plan is.
Also, because your baby’s taste buds are constantly changing, Little Spoon doesn’t offer refunds or credits for any meal your baby doesn’t take a liking to. According to their research, a baby needs to taste food 15-20 times before they recognize the taste of something, so you’ll have to persevere with what you’ve been sent.
Little Spoon Nutritional Facts, Ingredient & Features
- All products are USDA certified organic baby food by CCOF
- All products are allergy-friendly. They also don’t contain meat
- Little Spoon delivers to 48 US states
- All deliveries get shipped on the following Tuesday after you place your order. Orders are shipped every two weeks after that
- Once your delivery is shipped, you will get an email with a tracking link, so you know exactly where it is
- There are three plan sizes available
Little Spoon Pros
- As long as your shipment address is in the continental United States, you can get your shipment delivered to anywhere – including your work address. You can also change your address between shipments
- The food contains a great range of flavors
- It all comes in recycled packaging
- You can pause, cancel, or make changes to your plan at any time
- They offer a military discount
Little Spoon Cons
- Little Spoon is unable to deliver to Hawaii or Alaska at this time
- They don’t ship anywhere outside the US
- You can’t get refunds if your baby doesn’t take to a specific flavor
- The only available food is purées, so it’s not the best service for transitioning onto solid foods
- It’s expensive, especially if you buy it individually
Yumi offers superfoods for superbabes. According to their website, your baby’s brain is currently growing faster now than it ever will. Food fuels this growth, which is why Yumi makes sure that each meal they create contains at least five essential micronutrients that are important for their development.
All their ingredients come from farms, and their meals are home-cooked in their very own kitchen – just like Mommas.
To create their food blends, they work with a team of doctors, nutritionists, and chefs to balance their menu and ensure that each meal is dense in nutrients. Yumi’s meals typically include a wide range of fruits, legumes, greens, grains, root veggies, spices, and fats.
They avoid rice and too much apple content, though, due to the high levels of arsenic found in these foods. Each meal is prepared weekly and stays fresh in the fridge for seven days, two months in the freezer and for 24 hours once opened. Yumi also color codes each delivery so you can easily spot which jars were last week’s.
With Yumi baby food, you get a bit more choice about which foods and flavors are delivered to you. There are a few different boxes you can choose from, so if you spot anything in the one you’ve chosen that you know your baby won’t like, you can always select another box to see if that works better.
They even have a ‘Tot Box,’ which is designed for babies aged 10+ months and aims to help your baby transition from purées to solids. It encourages independent eating and attempts to stop any fussy-eating habits before they get out of control.
Yumi Nutritional Facts, Ingredient & Features
- Yumi only uses certified organic ingredients
- Little Spoon delivers to 48 US states
- Their meals are prepared weekly
- All products are allergy-friendly
- No extra sugar is added to their food
- Their jars contain a 3:1 sugar to fiber ratio
- The cut off time for adjusting your orders is Tuesday at 11:59 PM PST
- There are three plan sizes available
- You can skip deliveries as and when you like
- You can change your shipping address either temporarily or permanently
- You only have to email the team to cancel your account, so it’s super easy to do
- Yumi uses packaging that is BPA & BPS free, which is curbside recyclable
- Military discount is available
- Yumi is unable to deliver to Hawaii or Alaska at this time
- It’s costly
- There is fairly limited geographic availability, so you’ll need to check whether Yumi delivers to your zip code.
The Verdict – Which is Best Overall?
When it comes to Little Spoon vs Yumi, it is quite a tough call to make. They are both similar in the fact that they offer organic, nutritious, home-cooked meals delivered straight to your door, but in all honesty, that’s where the similarities end.
They also both offer plans that include 1, 2 or 3 meals a day, but Little Spoon delivers every two weeks, while Yumi delivers weekly. We can’t really say which of these is better – it’s simply down to your personal preference on whether you prefer to stock-pile in the freezer or feed the meals fresh.
The biggest point of difference is how the plans are offered. Little Spoon utilizes expert pediatricians and nutritionists that can tailor the meals to meet your growing baby’s needs.
This is a fantastic offering as it means the hard work is done for you, and it’s all calculated through tried and tested scientific methods. However, this may not work for you if you prefer the freedom to choose the flavors, or if you find there are options that your baby simply won’t take to as you can’t pick and choose.
Yumi, on the other hand, offers much more flexibility. You get a full view of what meals are going into your box at checkout, so if you’re not happy, you have the option to choose something different. Customize your order here to see how Yumi works. This was a BIG factor for us because we have some unique intolerances, preferences, and allergies in our house.
While nutritionists work on the overall recipes offered by the company, you have a much bigger say on what you’re paying for. Again, this might be perfect for you if you know there are flavors your baby won’t take to, but on the other hand, you may want the extra help that Little Spoon offers.
Either way, our biggest piece of advice is to study this comparison carefully and do your own research before you commit to anything. Both Little Spoon and Yumi’s FAQ pages are full of useful information if you have any further questions.
Final Thoughts on Yumi vs Little Spoon
As we’ve already mentioned, both have their unique features and benefits, and both come with their downsides, too. Ultimately, you’ll know which one is right for you and your family, but the next thing now is to give one (or both) of them a go.
Bottom Line Summary: I personally preferred the transparent ingredients, easy customizations and seamless baby food delivery service offered by Yumi here (use code BABYSWAG50 at checkout). If you need to pick one, I’d recommend starting with Yumi.
If you have any questions then feel free to pop them in the comment section below – our expert moms and dads are more than happy to help! And if you have anything else you’d like us to review, let us know, and we’ll see what we can do. If you liked this article, why not read our thoughts on Enfamil vs Similac?
Further Reading on Baby Food
- Best Organic Baby Food Brands
- Baby Bullet vs Beaba Baby Food Maker Comparison
- Beaba Babycook vs Babymoov Duo Comparison
- Latest Baby Food Recall List
Recommended Organic Baby Food
Answer: Sure, as long as you put them in the freezer before the “Best By” date. You’ll need to consume them after six months, and once thawed they will need to be eaten within 24 hours.
Answer: Little Spoon products are USDA Organic Certified, and Non-GMO Project Verified using all of the highest quality ingredients. The also use High-Pressure Processing (HPP) to kill harmful bacteria and lock in vitamins, nutrients, flavors, color, and texture.
Answer: As an allergy-friendly baby food company, Little Spoon doesn’t use meat in their recipes as it’s one of the eight major allergens. Instead, you could try cooking up some chicken or fish into little pieces at home and adding them to the purée.
Answer: To make and prepare their food, Yumi adopts the home-cooked approach. They steam, sautée, blend, and roast their meals, unlike many jarred baby food brands.
All their meals are also made in an FDA approved and HAACP certified facility, using trained and certified chefs that cook food in accordance with all national and state food safety and sanitation laws and regulations.
Answer: No – all their meals are completely organic and fresh, just as they would be if they were prepared in your own kitchen. No preservation, fillers, or nasties are used in any way.
Answer: They use temperature-controlled boxes, thermal-liners made of recycled water bottles and non-toxic and non-caustic ice packs to transport their products. This means that food is kept fresh for up to 48 hours while on the road. All packaging is recyclable.