Not many women in a state of pregnancy are aware of postpartum bleeding. Both natural deliveries and C-section procedures are followed by a couple of days of vaginal discharge, which need especial postpartum care. Getting rid of excess fluids is inevitable which is why it’s highly important to find the best postpartum underwear to wear as a temporary solution after giving birth. C-section moms also need to take care of their incision area and avoid irritation in the scarred skin. For all these reasons, I’ve decided to present some of the best C section underwear alternatives that you should definitely consider. The best postpartum underwear is a mix of comfort, an elastic material that is friendly with the skin after a C-section incision, and good coverage.
- Recommended by doctors due to its reinforced abdominal panel and durable design
- Easy to put on and take off
- High quality materials
- Relieve back pain
- The fabric combination is the best for support, comfort and breathability
- Is washing machine friendly
- Great Fit
- 1 Most Comfortable Postpartum Underwear Alternatives
- 2 1. C Section Recovery Postpartum Girdle by Wink
- 3 2. Mesh Post-Delivery High-Waist Maternity Panties by Hansilk
- 4 3. Bellefit Postpartum Girdle for Support and Compression
- 5 4. Women’s No Problems Modern Panty by Warner’s
- 6 5. UpSpring High-Waist C-Section Underwear
- 7 6. Women’s High Waist Slimming Underwear by Dodoing
- 8 7. Bamboo Viscose Leak-proof Panties by Yoyi Fashion
- 9 How Should Postpartum Underwear for New Moms Look Like?
- 10 Why Should You Wear C-Section Underwear?
- 11 How to Choose the Best C Section Underwear
- 12 What Style of Postpartum Panties Should You Opt for?
- 13 The Best C Section Underwear – Final Thoughts
Most Comfortable Postpartum Underwear Alternatives
This postpartum belly wrap comes with a double layer of medically-approved silky fabric that offers just the right level of abdominal support and stretch while also preventing rashes and irritations on the skin. There are three sets of hook and eye closing systems so it will be easy for you to adjust your desired opening as your incision heals and your pregnancy belly starts to fade away.
However, Wink postpartum shapewear is very expensive, especially considering that it lacks the FDA-recommended silicone panel. On the other hand, its crotch opening feature comes in handy for your bathroom breaks which makes this clothing item highly convenient and easy to use. According to the manufacturer, this girdle is soft, durable, and has an antimicrobial material. Moreover, it lowers the risk of infection, boosts comfort, and reduces pain.
- Pro: This underwear is completely seamless under your clothes.
- Con: It’s very expensive and it has way too many hook and eye closures.
- Price: One pair of Wink’s postpartum underwear costs around $85.99.
This postpartum shapewear are made from elastic spandex and polyester. This mix of fabrics provides stretchy, breathable, seamless, and lightweight underwear. The item is created to be used as a temporary solution so the Hansilk’s postpartum panties are washable and disposable. They have a high waist that protects the incision area. Furthermore, Hansilk C section underwear has multi-purpose use: it is leak-proof, it can hold postpartum pads in place, etc.
In fact, these panties are a replica of the mesh underwear you receive before leaving the hospital. They are breathable and soft. On the other hand, you should wear them together with a girdle because this type of maternity underwear doesn’t provide any compression or support. Finally, Hansilk panties are very affordable but they don’t last for a long time.
- Pro: They are comfy and safe and very similar to the ones approved and provided by hospitals.
- Con: You can only wash these items by hand.
- Price:Hansilk postpartum underwear costs around $11.31 (a pack of three).
Despite the fact that this product is has a very high price tag, it also has an almost unique design and provides you with a lot of benefits such as back pain relief and a better posture. Not only is this underwear provided with two hook and eye closures but it also comes with a very useful side zipper. And, no, it’s not difficult to put on. First, you need to close the hook and eye systems before pulling up the zipper. This C section item has a crotch opening as well.
Bellefit underwear offers you enough support and speeds up recovery after your C-section incision. Moreover, it is a product that many doctors recommend due to its reinforced abdominal panel and durable design, even just a couple of days after leaving the hospital. This model of the girdle that also has a zipper is most suitable for two types of body shapes: triangle (when most of your body weight is carried on your hips and your upper body is smaller) and rectangle (those women who aren’t curvy and have a narrow and slender body). In both cases, you can find a good size.
- Pro: It comes with a zipper and it is made from good-quality materials.
- Con: It is a highly expensive postpartum care item.
- Price: The postpartum girdle made by Bellefit costs around $101.25.
This postpartum panty is made from 90% polyester and only 10% spandex. This stretch fabric combination makes Warner’s maternity underwear one of the most comfortable products for after a long pregnancy. It has a soft and silky microfiber feel and features two great characteristics: a high waist and a wide elastic and flexible waistband. This product is also easy to clean because it is machine washable.
Most women love these panties because they seem to fit just a like a glove, regardless of your silhouette. The upper part goes well above the C section’s incision but despite that, this underwear doesn’t provide the belly support and compression you might expect. That is because Warner’s maternity items were created to embrace the natural shape of your body.
- Pro: It offers a snug and comfy fit around your upper belly.
- Con: The panties’ stickers are quite annoying.
- Price: Warner’s women’s modern panties are marketed for the price of around $11.40 per piece.
These panties were specially created for C-section support and recovery by a mom helped and assisted by a medical team. They will help you slim down around your tummy area and they speed up recovery by providing medical-grade compression. UpSpring’s silicone panel lowers the risk of scarring, irritation, and bulging of your C section incision. This underwear is the creation of a woman who worked as an ER nurse and who went through a cesarean delivery herself.
Basically, the product offers everything a new mom who went through a C section delivery needs: incision protection and healing, support and compression, a comfortable feeling, and a very high waist. You will be happy to know that there aren’t any midsection waistbands, hooks or Velcro. Also, these panties allow you to move easily and they can be used right after giving birth.
- Pro: It is recommended by OBGYN doctors.
- Con: The price is a tad high.
- Price: One pair of UpSpring underwear costs between $39.95 and $39.99 .
Unlike many other similar products, Dodoing’s maternity panties also have a slick and sexy design and they can be worn as a butt lifter, waist trainer, and C-section postpartum recovery underwear. Their structure is body slimming and body shaping. You can use them even under an evening dress because they are both comfortable and seamless. So, as you can see, this is a 3-in-1 product.
Nevertheless, Dodoing’s panties lack a crotch opening which means you have to take them down every time you go to the bathroom. Another disadvantage is represented by their super skinny fitting. Still, when thinking about the price, this is a pretty affordable product. It’s made from three different materials: nylon, spandex, and cotton. It’s also provided with a couple of steel bones for better support.
- Pro: It comes with sexy lace details.
- Con: It has a very small fitting.
- Price: The price of one pair of Dodoing maternity underwear is around $10.99.
These C section postpartum panties come are sold in sets and they are quite affordable. Yoyi Fashion’s underwear offers all night protection and it is leak-proof but it’s also true that this product isn’t the most flattering panty of its kind. Ok, I will just go ahead and say it: they look like granny panties but they are also very comfortable. 95% of the product’s material is bamboo viscose fiber which prevents scarring, rashes, and itchiness around the incision zone. These panties are also very durable and seamless.
With Yoyi Fashion underwear, you will receive plenty of protection. Finally, their fabric is a breathable one and they are very easy to clean: you can either hand wash or machine wash them. The important thing to remember is to always air dry them because if you use a tumble dryer, you will ruin these panties.
- Pro: This underwear is both comfortable and leak-proof.
- Con: They resemble granny panties so they aren’t very flattering.
- Price: Yoyi Fashion multi-pack C section panties can be purchased for around $18.79.
How Should Postpartum Underwear for New Moms Look Like?
- High-waist and comfortable;
- Made from a comfortable and stretchy fabric;
- Having a wide flexible yet firm band in the top part;
- Made from soft materials in order to avoid irritation in the incision area;
- Large enough to fit post-delivery pads – some discharge is completely normal for the first couple of days after giving birth, even if we talk about cesarean delivery.
Why Should You Wear C-Section Underwear?
- They provide better compression without putting too much pressure on the incision;
- This type of underwear is specially created to lower swelling while also providing support to your weakened abdominal tissue;
- The design might help lower excess fluids. It is said to smoothing and flattening the incision zone and helping your uterus regain the size it had before the pregnancy;
- C section underwear is usually comfy and made from special materials that prevent itchiness which will further speed up skin healing and recovery;
- Most postpartum underwear items contain silicon which is approved by the FDA. It is said to prevent scarring;
- This underwear is flexible and adjustable so that enables you to modify the level or intensity of compression as your incision heals;
- It lacks elastic waistbands which are too restrictive and they can cause discomfort. Instead, C section underwear has a fluted and nonbinding waist design.
How to Choose the Best C Section Underwear
What Materials Should You Consider?
- Microfiber – compared to other fabrics such as cotton or mesh, microfiber is stronger which means it will give you better support. Also, this material has good absorbing properties;
- Spandex – for an increased level of support and compression as well as a better shaping, spandex C section panties are the way to go;
- Mesh – most mesh materials are found in disposable postpartum underwear products. It may not be the strongest type of fabric but it is very breathable which, in my opinion, is one of the most important aspects of a post-delivery panty;
- Cotton – if you’re more into comfortable underwear, cotton represent your to-go type of underwear material. Being a natural fabric makes it perfect for maternity underwear because it prevents skin rashes while also remaining breathable.
What Style of Postpartum Panties Should You Opt for?
Nowadays, there is a wide range of postpartum underwear that new moms can choose from. The most commonly-met panties are the following ones:
- Full brief – this covers your abdominal area entirely and it is a high-back type of panty. It will cover your incision and protect it from infections. Most full briefs are also seamless and they prevent scarring;
- Low rise – these panties don’t offer full coverage and when they are worn, they sit below your hips. I’ve never used this type of underwear during my postpartum recovery, but I have heard that it offers new moms enough support while also being fashionable;
- Disposable – these products are created to be worn one single time before you throw them away. Most options are marketed with in-built pads. So, disposable panties are excellent for the first period right after C section delivery because most women use them for their postpartum leakages;
- Compression underwear – this type of maternity underwear provides the best support for your tummy which is great considering that after a C section, your abdominal muscles are weaker. Also, through compression, your uterus will shrink back to its initial size (more or less). These products are usually worn for weight reduction and body shaping.
As to “what to wear after a ceasarean section” that really depends on your unique situation. In general, it starts with the right post c-section underwear and then it’s really about what you are comfortable with. Once the scar area no longer has a dressing, the key will be SUPPORT as these muscles can remain compromised for 6-9+ months (gradually re-knitting and re-building).
The Best C Section Underwear – Final Thoughts
Ok mamas, I truly hope that today’s article of the best maternity panties has helped you figure out which type of underwear you should buy in order to suit your needs and preferences while also making you feel good, supported, and comfortable. As you could see, there are many excellent options available on the market, for all body types and budgets. I, for once, am a fan of hygienic and occasionally stylish alternatives.
Medical Disclaimer: As always, if you have ANY questions regarding health post c-section, please do consult your qualified medical practioner as we are not them!
- 11 Best Postpartum Girdles After Birth & Wraps (That Actually Work)
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best C-Section Scar Creams
- Top Positions to Sleep in AFTER C-Section
- The Best Postpartum Pads to Consider Purchasing for After Giving Birth
- The Best Nursing Tanks for Moms – Why Do You Need One?