Last Updated on
A diaper pail is one of the best things you can register for, purchase yourself, or buy as a gift for someone else. There’s nothing more cumbersome than hauling small bags of dirty diapers outside to the garbage can every single day, and diaper pails eliminate that annoyance. The Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail and Diaper Genie are both solid options for any home and they offer parents the ability to keep those trips to the trash bin at a minimum which is good since babies can produce plenty of soiled diapers in the first year alone.
In fact, your baby could use as many as 350 diapers in the first month alone. That’s a whole lot of waste for one small wastebasket, especially when there are diaper pails to choose from. From the time your baby is one month old until they reach five months of age, they can then use up to 240 diapers per month.
Again, these numbers add up fairly quickly. Whether you choose between the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail or the Diaper Genie, you’ll get a great alternative to a small garbage can. But before you decide which one to go with, it’s important to look at them both from all possible angles.
Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail
As a parent, you’ll come to know the Tommee Tippee brand for its bottles and sippy cups, but it also makes a solid diaper pail in the form of the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail. It has a sleek design that’s hard to ignore and can blend in well in almost any room of the house. This means that you can buy one for your baby’s nursery and even keep one in your own bedroom without having it be an eyesore.
There are also lids available in other colors to accommodate your personal taste or blend in well, depending on the color theme in your nursery. The pail itself can hold up to 18 diapers at a time before you’ll need to throw it out and each refill cartridge can hold as many as 180 diapers total. Using the pail is as easy as possible.
You simply lift the lid, push the soiled diaper through the smart lid which seals back up behind it, and then close the lid. It doesn’t have a foot pedal like some other diaper pails, but the Tommee Tippee is still easy to use for pretty much anyone. Plus, the multilayer film on the bags helps seal in odors and keep them contained.
- Size: The pail is relatively compact, as just 4.8 pounds, and stands at 16.4 inches tall.
- Capacity: It can hold up to 18 diapers at a time.
- Refills: The pail is compatible only with the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail Refill Cartridge.
- Price: On Amazon, the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail is $59.99. Check out the latest price!
- Where To Buy: You can primarily find it on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent, or current recalls on this diaper pail.
- It’s small enough to fit under most sinks or in cabinets to keep it out of the way and has less clutter.
- The liners and the lid allow for very little if any, odor to escape when using the diaper pail.
- It’s so lightweight and compact that you can even travel with it if you’re going on extended trips with your little one.
- Most parents can refill the pail with ease, even if they aren’t as experienced with diaper pails.
- Since it doesn’t hold as many diapers at once, you may have to refill it more often than with some other diaper pails.
- There isn’t a foot pedal, which some parents may find inconvenient, even if it is easy to lift the lid.
- The built-in bag cutter may not be sharp enough to cut off the end of the bag when you need to tie it off to throw away.
“Good size didn’t want something to big so this is just perfect for my daughters room. Really easy to set up and use.” – Mario Sanchez on Amazon.
“Love the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail Starter Set. It is a very compact, simple style made in the U.K. perfect for your baby ‘nappies.’ I love that it does not take up a lot of space. It’s just the perfect size. It’s well-designed and simple to use.” – Ginny Mapes on Amazon.
“I love a product that when it comes to you it is exactly as pictured. Four refills for the bags, nice sturdy bin that has a lid that snaps on securely. inner lid so no germy messes on the outside and locks the odors in Well made, colors are white at the bottom gray and black at the top. Really love how easy it is to use and keeps the odors away.” – Tina Redzworld on Amazon.
“Since we got this, we haven’t had to deal with the diaper smell at all. It completely seals off the odor, and I’d recommend it. The only downside is that there’s nothing to cut the bag with when it’s full, so you have to use a scissors and tie a knot in the top. Otherwise it’s great.” – Daniel H. on Amazon.
Diaper Genie Complete
To some, the Diaper Genie maybe synonymous with diaper pails. That’s probably because of its track record of containing odors, holding a large number of soiled diapers, and its convenient foot pedal.
For some parents, all of those aspects combined make for a top choice in a diaper pail, but the Diaper Genie has so much more. It’s tall enough to allow for dropping dirty diapers inside it without bending over, so you won’t have left bending forward multiple times throughout the day and night whenever you need to throw away a soiled diaper.
It also has a seven-layer refill bag to keep strong odors stuck inside the bag, and the pail itself has an odor lock system to keep smells contained, even when you open the top. And just in case some smells escape out of the top, there’s a carbon filter on the inside of the lid to absorb odors. The refills can hold up to 270 dirty diapers, but one of the best parts is that the Diaper Genie is also compatible with some other refills, including many store brands.
- Size: The diaper pail is 27 inches tall, so while it’s not compact, it is tall enough to hold a good amount of diapers at once.
- Capacity: It can hold up to 40 or so dirty diapers at once.
- Refills: The refill cartridge has a capacity of 270 diapers, and the Diaper Genie can also use other brands of refills if needed.
- Price: On Amazon, the Diaper Genie is $36. Check out the latest price!
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Target.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no current or recent recalls on the Diaper Genie Complete.
- It has a decent capacity before you need to cinch off the bag and tie it to throw away.
- The built-in cutter is easy to use and tie off the bottom of each section of the bag once it’s full.
- It’s also one of the taller diaper pails out there, so it’s comfortable and easy to use for most parents.
- There’s a foot pedal to make opening and throwing away dirty diapers simple.
- Every time you open the top to put more diapers inside, the dirty diaper odor can escape out.
- Because it’s taller and larger, it’s not as compact and sleek as the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail.
- The hinges on the inside of the lid can lose their strength over time and might break off.
“Our baby’s room doesn’t smell, and she poops a ton, so I think this product is doing a great job. It seems like the bag cartridge lasts a really long time and the container holds about five days worth of diapers.” – Shye Marshall on Amazon.
“Very easy to use, setup, and keep clean. With us having a newborn, It hasn’t been too expensive to keep on top of the refills either. We have only used one refill bag in about a month’s time. It’s very compact too and can go pretty much wherever you’d like it.” – Travis Burns on Amazon.
“This is the best thing ever! Really easy to use and no smells. It comes with a charcoal filter, and the opening and closing mechanisms keep the diapers already in the unit closed off from the outside when placing a just-changed diaper in the pail.” – Marc Humbert on Amazon.
“No, you cannot use a regular garbage can. No, you cannot use regular garbage bags. Get the Diaper Genie. Get the bags. Get the charcoal inserts. 18 months later and we still use this for our toddler and its working beautifully!” – Christina Stanton on Amazon.
Both the Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail and the Diaper Genie offer a lot of the same benefits for a family with an infant in the home. They’re both around the same reasonable price, and they offer an enclosed garbage pail in which to keep smells and dirty diapers contained.
But when looking at them both from every angle, the Diaper Genie Complete is the stronger option. It has a larger capacity and takes several steps to ensure that odors are contained and have barriers to go through. As with any diaper pail, the smell might escape if the lid is open for longer periods of time, but there’s so much convenience and ease of use that it’s hard not to go with the Diaper Genie Complete in this case.
Whether you go with the Tommee Tippee or Diaper Genie brand diaper pail, you’re going to get one that meets most of your family’s needs. They both offer more than your average wastebasket and give you a way to get rid of diapers without heading to the outdoor garbage can multiple times per day.
Of course the Diaper Genie Complete is the stronger option of the two, but either way, you’re going to want a diaper pail.