As any parent will tell you, it’s never too early to start thinking about the future when it comes to your baby. Like choosing the best bed rail for your toddler, since we all know they don’t stay little forever.
And while cheaper doesn’t usually mean better, there are plenty of inexpensive bed rails for toddlers that will keep your baby secure as they get used to sleeping in a toddler bed, a twin bed, or even with the side of their crib taken off to make it a daybed, as some are designed to do.
Finding the best bed rail for toddlers can be the difference between helping a toddler back in bed every night when they roll out and giving them a good night’s sleep while you get one too.
Watching your little grow from a baby to a toddler can be bittersweet, but it’s also fun to help them learn to sleep in a bigger bed. Luckily, there are plenty of toddler bed rails to make that transition go smoothly.
Jump to a specific section
1. Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail
The Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail for toddlers proves that the best bed rails don’t have to come in one stock color or design and while that isn’t what makes it so valuable, it’s a nice addition to the rail’s other qualities that if offers.
The Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail comes in gray, hot pink, aqua blue, and lime green to match pretty much any toddler’s room of any parent’s preference. But more than that, it’s designed to keep any gaps between the rail and mattress at a minimum while stretching far enough along the side of the bed to keep your toddler secure throughout the night.
The bed rail also has a quick assembly and the ability to fold down with ease. This does away with the need for your child to have to scoot all the way to the end of the bed in order to get out or to push against the rail in an attempt to force it down. Which, as most parents can attest to, could very well happen.
- Size: The bed rail is 18 inches tall and extends to 36 inches.
- Where To Buy: You can find the bed rail on Amazon or the manufacturer’s website, in-store at Toys ‘R Us, Target, or Walmart.
- The Best Part: A unique part about the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail is that is folds down for easy access to your toddler or so they can get in and out of bed more easily.
- The Not So Great: Although it’s made for toddler beds, the bed rail may not fit as properly with convertible cribs.
2. Summer Infant Single Fold Safety Rail
Summer Infant is, for the most part, a trusted brand for parents, so it would make sense that one of the best bed rails for toddlers is their Single Fold Safety Rail.
Unlike some other bed rails, though, the Summer Infant rail is designed to stretch across twin and even queen-sized mattresses, depending on your needs. And like the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail, the Summer Infant option has the ability to fold down so you can access the bed more easily, whether that’s to access your toddler or change the bed without taking the entire bed rail off.
At more than 42 inches long, the bed rail is also considerably longer than most other ones, meaning that it does indeed fit well with beds as large as queen size while remaining comfortable enough for your toddler. On its own, the bed rail is just 6.6 pounds, making it even easier to handle.
- Size: The Summer Infant Single Fold Safety Rail is 21 inches tall and 42.5 inches long.
- Where To Buy: You can find the bed rail on the Summer Infant website or on Amazon and also in-store at Walmart or Target.
- The Best Part: Since it’s extra-long and its arms can stretch long enough to fit on a queen-sized bed, it doesn’t limit you or your toddler to just twin-sized beds.
- The Not So Great: The rail works best only if your child’s box spring sits above the rails.
3. Dreambaby Harrogate Tall And Wide Bed Rail
With both breathable mesh and the ability to fold down with an easy press of a notch, the Dreambaby Harrogate Tall and Wide Bed Rail continues the tradition of offering the most convenience and accessibility that most parents tend to crave so much.
But even more convenient, the bed rail comes fully assembled with no additional assembly required. This can be a huge plus for some parents who don’t exactly look forward to the idea of putting together yet another intricate accessory for their toddler’s bedroom.
Since the bed rail requires no additional tools or steps in putting it together, it’s also totally portable, meaning you can take it with your family on vacations or when your toddler needs to spend the night away at Grandma and Grandpa’s.
- Size: As an extra long bed rail, it stretches to 43 inches long and is 18 inches tall.
- Where To Buy: You can buy the Dreambaby Harrogate Tall and Wide Bed Rail on Amazon or online at Babies ‘R Us.
- The Best Part: Without the need to put the bed rail together or use any extra tools to make it safe and secure, it means a lot less stress overall.
- The Not So Great: Unfortunately, it’s not recommended for use with slatted or platform beds.
4. Dream On Me Adjustable Bed Rail
The Dream On Me Adjustable Bed Rail is made to fit both convertible cribs and twin beds, which are honestly the standard-sized beds for most toddlers anyway. It’s also one of the lightest toddler bed rails, weighing in at just three pounds.
It can extend to 15 inches high, but can also be locked in at 13 inches to suit your specific needs. You can assemble it in minutes with no extra tools needed and have peace of mind with the stabilizer bar and anchors in place.
Not only is the Dream On Me bed rail suitable for twin mattresses and convertible cribs, but you can also use it will full mattresses. Unlike some of the other options, it doesn’t fold down for easy access to your child’s bed, but being so lightweight, it’s also not hard to remove when necessary.
- Size: The high options are 13 or 15 inches, while the Dream On Me Adjustable Bed Rail is 40 inches long.
- Where To Buy: You can buy the bed rail online at Amazon, Walmart, or Kohl’s.
- The Best Part: The ability to adjust the rail to best fit your child’s bed makes using the bed rail much more approachable.
- The Not So Great: With so many bed rails designed with the ability to fold down, it’s disappointing that the Dream On Me rail does not.
5. BabyHome Side Bed Rail
When it comes to baby and toddler products, higher prices don’t always equal better quality, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to trust in products that may be a little pricier than most. Enter the BabyHome Side Bed Rail, which can last your toddler as long as you need a bed rail, even if the cost, at $69, seems a little above average for a toddler bed rail.
With a totally unique rounded shape and mesh material for added comfort and breathability throughout the night, the BabyHome bed rail adds something different to your toddler’s bed that might even make them excited to finally do away with the crib once and for all.
- Size: It’s 17.5 inches tall and spans 56 inches long, covering a decent portion of your toddler’s bed.
- Where To Buy: The BabyHome Side Bed Rail can be found online at Amazon or Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: The bed rail not only folds up for easy transport, but it also comes with a travel bag to really make carrying it with you a breeze.
- The Not So Great: The price may not be ideal for some families, even if the convenience of being able to install and take it with you with ease is a big upside to the bed rail.
When it’s all said and done, the best thing you can do for your toddler is to install whichever bed rail you choose in the safest and most precise way. Once you decided which length is best suited for your toddler as they sleep, as well as which brand you trust the most, the easy part is actually securing it to your baby’s bed or crib.
Luckily, toddler bed rails are typically affordable and since most little ones won’t need them for longer than a year or two, most hold up nicely so that you likely won’t have to buy more than one.
And even if it’s a sad parent moment to watch your toddler graduate from crib to actual bed, you can take comfort in knowing that the days of finding the best toddler products are far from over.