Last Updated on
As much as you might not want your baby to make the transition to a toddler bed from their crib, eventually, it’s going to happen.
When it does, you’d do well to have a safety rail lined up to keep them from rolling over of their bed. Since it will be their first time sleeping on something without four sides to it. When you look at the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail vs. the Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail it’s easy to see the benefits of having something there to keep your toddler safe in the event that he or she moves in their sleep.
Kids have potentially spent two years sleeping in a fully protected crib. In fact, they may have become used to curling up against the crib railing. So having one of these safety bed rails in place can be the difference between your toddler rolling right out of bed and staying in place to get used to the new sleeping arrangement faster. Have in mind that this situation can be a little scary for them at first.
You’ll probably only need a one-bed rail on one side to get the job done. However, in some cases, you might prefer to have one on each side. Thus, you will make this new experience easier for your loved one.
In that instance, both the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail and the Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail can be useful to use one of the same brand on each side. When it comes time for your child to get out of bed, however, the Munchkin does have the ability to come down without uninstalling it. In the same time, the Dream On Me must stay in place.
Then again, you will find a more inexpensive price with the Dream On Me, and that’s an important aspect to consider as well. When it comes down to it, installation, size, cost, and general cleaning of each bed rail are likely all factors for you to consider when choosing between the two options here.
Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail
The Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail comes in four different colors to match your child’s bedroom and also their own personal taste, but of course that’s not all that the safety rail offers.
You slide the bars between your child’s mattress and box spring or frame and attach the safety straps to ensure that there are no gaps between the railing and the side of your child’s bed. It can also be folded down with the push of a button on the side that releases the hinge, making it possible for your little one to get in and out of bed without crawling all the way to the foot of the bed each time.
Since the bed rail is designed to be suitable for children from ages 2-5 years old, the fold down button is easy enough to operate or older children, while you won’t have to worry about toddlers pressing it on their own.
The entire fabric of the bed rail has a breathable mesh that eliminates some bedtime dangers. It also keeps the airflow throughout the railing as opposed to a thick material that could get musty over time. And if you have a particularly energetic child at bedtime, the rail can withstand most wiggling and lean or lay against it, which is the point.
- Set-up And Installation: For the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail, you slide the metal bars under your child’s mattress and attach the additional straps for added safety.
- Cleaning: It’s not recommended that you try and iron or bleach the bed rail fabric, but instead just wipe it clean with a damp cloth and allow it to air dry. Since it’s made of a mesh fabric, barring any intense messes, that should be substantial enough to keep it fresh.
- Size: The dimensions of the rail are 18 inches tall x 36 inches wide.
- Price: On Amazon, the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail is $50. Check out the last price!
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- You can fold it down when it’s not in use, so your toddler can get in and out of bed without trying to climb over it and, in turn, hurt him or herself.
- It’s also a lot easier to change bedding with the fold down option since you won’t have to remove the entire railing to do so.
- It’s easy to install on most beds, whether your child has a platform bed or one with a box spring.
- The mesh fabric allows plenty of airflows and can even stay cleaner for longer than other thicker materials.
- When you fold the railing up, there is a click sound that lets you know it’s locked into place. However it may be too loud when dealing with it around a sleeping toddler.
- Although it is 36 inches long, that may not be long enough for some parents to feel as though it will keep their toddler in bed throughout the night.
- Some may feel that, at $50, the bed rail is a bit pricey, especially when compared to the cost of some other toddler bed rails.
“Perfect for the crib and now we are using it for twin bed. Little shorter than the average size of big bed rail, but still good enough to protect kid from falling off of bed. Sturdy, easy to assemble.” – Sam Lee on Amazon.
“We bought this for our now 2 year old son who transitioned from a crib to a twin bed. Works perfectly and have never had any issues. The length is good as well as it covers a majority of where he is positioned in bed. I also like how it folds down when you want to get around it like when making the bed.” – Caleb Barnett on Amazon.
“This is really good; it’s sturdy and very practical with the click and lock open and closed function. I looked at many and didn’t like colours and materials and this also has a under mattress clip that keeps it in place.” – Ellouise Yilmaz on Amazon.
“I love this and my 3 year old does too! He says he likes having a “door” on his bed. lol, the product appears exactly as expected, it’s durable, easy to put together and simple to attach to the bed. I highly recommend this product.” – Lisa M. on Amazon.
Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail
While the Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail doesn’t have the option of being flipped down to keep it out of the way when it’s not in use or when you need to change your child’s bedding.
It does offer some pretty beneficial qualities some might hope to find in a decent toddler bed railing. Like the Munchkin, it does have a breathable mesh fabric, though, which is the most comfortable and safe option for bed rails such as these.
If your child has an unusually large bed, the rail may not work, but it designed to fit perfectly with convertible cribs or twin beds and stay in place throughout the night, even for little ones who tend to move a lot in their sleep. The bars which slide beneath your child’s mattress are meant to stabilize the rail and the safety straps add extra security, so you won’t have to worry about the railing coming loose or shifting throughout the night. It also makes next to no noise, so while it’s missing the fold-down feature of the Munchkin, it also doesn’t have any loud clicks to contend with or worry about.
- Set-up And Installation: The rail comes fully assembled, so you simply slide the stability bars underneath your toddler’s mattress and then attach the anchors to keep it in place.
- Cleaning: It’s recommended that you use a damp cloth to wipe the rail and the mesh cover clean.
- Size: The Dream On Me rail is 15 inches tall x 33.5 inches wide.
- Price: On Amazon, the Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail is $30. Check out the latest price!
- Where To Buy: You can purchase it on Amazon or in-store at Kohl’s.
- At just $30, it’s almost half the cost of the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail.
- The 15 inches of the bed rail are more than enough to keep your child securely tucked in their bed.
- Since you don’t have to assemble anything, you can easily install the rail within minutes.
- With the added anchors underneath the mattress, you can be sure that the rail will stay in place securely.
- It can be difficult to install the rail on beds with wooden slats properly.
- The bars on the bed rail will likely rub paint or finish off the side of your child’s bed frame.
- For some, it may be a deal breaker that the rail doesn’t have the option of dropping down to let your child in and out of the bed more easily.
“I love love this product. When I transferred my son to his toddler bed, he had a problem with rolling off of the bed. Our conversion crib kit didn’t come with the toddler rail, so we bought this for him.” – Julia Costanza on Amazon.
“I got this for my 2 year old daughter. You couldn’t imagine the excitement when she figured out she could get in and out of her bed at her own will. She has climbed all over this thing and it hasn’t budged an inch.” – Patricia R. on Amazon.
“This is exactly what we needed. We have a fairly thick crib mattress on the floor that our toddler kept rolling off of. For the past month or so we’ve been using it, she hasn’t rolled off once. My biggest concern was whether it would stay in place because we didn’t tether the elastic to anything. It hasn’t moved at all.” – Laura Forczyk on Amazon.
“Exactly what we needed. Easy to install and kept my daughter from falling out of her toddler bed at night. She can climb over it easily to get off the bed when she wants/needs to, but it stops her from falling out while she sleeps. It also stays in place well. I recommend!” – Tiffini Mitchell on Amazon.
It’s really going to depend on what you deem the most important qualities in a solid bed rail. You may look at the cost above all else or even the size of the track. However, when comparing these two, the stronger option is likely going to be the Munchkin Sleep Bed Rail.
Of course it’s fun that the rail comes in multiple colors. But its ease of use is really where its strength lies. Being able to fold it down when you aren’t using it can still allow your toddler to feel like they have a big kid bed rather than a glorified crib. Even though it’s a little pricier, you can get years of use out of it. It’s plenty safe and secure for your child.
New parents feel overwhelmed with the varieties of bed rails which convert the toddler’s bed to a much safer version. This happening as they transition from their crib. With both the Munchkin Sleep Bed Railand the Dream On Me Mesh Security Crib Rail, you get solid safety rails to keep your child in bed throughout the night.
Depending on the qualities you may even realize that you favor the Dream On Me over the Munchkin. They both have aspects that make them strong in their ways. The important thing, however, is that you correctly install the rail to keep your child safe and happy.