A swaddle blanket is one of those things that your baby will invariably need right from the start.
They’re typically inexpensive and, for the most part, easy to use. And depending on your baby, swaddle blankets could be the key to getting him or her to sleep through the night more easily while keeping them comfortable.
The Nested Bean Zen Swaddle is one that is designed for babies up to six months old, so you can be sure that you’ll get plenty of use out of it while figuring out exactly how your particular baby needs to be swaddled each time.
What does set it apart from some other similar swaddle blankets, though, is the fact that it’s actually lightly weighted.
The chest and sides of the blanket are gently weighted to give your baby the feeling of being held, even after you’ve put him or her back in the crib or bassinet.
The weights themselves are non-toxic poly bends that are also used at some children’s toys, so there’s no real danger there. And, thanks to the 100% lightweight cotton, the fabric is breathable enough for the warmer months of the year, yet still warm enough to keep your baby nice and toasty during the colder months.
Swaddle blankets, in general, are easy enough to get the hang of, but with the Nested Bean Zen Swaddle, you also get one that’s already shaped to show you the best way to fold the different flaps, as opposed to one large square of fabric, which can sometimes be confusing.
That’s not to say that it’s the only swaddle blanket designed in such a way, but it does add to its ease of use.
You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- There is an inner pocket for baby legs to slide into for the first few weeks and then a larger inner pocket to accommodate your baby’s legs for several months as he or she grows.
- The 100% cotton is washer and dryer safe, so you won’t have to worry about shrinkage or dealing with a misshapen swaddle blanket after washing it.
- The weighted feel is meant to help soothe your child even if you aren’t right next to the crib or bassinet to do it with your touch.
- Its design makes it possible to either swaddle wrap your baby with their arms in or out, depending on what they prefer.
- Being able to swaddle your baby in the Nested Bean Zen Swaddle can help keep him or her from rolling onto their side.
- The weighted feel is likely to help soothe and keep your child sleeping for more extended periods of time.
- It can grow with your child and stay with them up until six months of age, which is especially helpful if they get used to it after some time.
- The design makes it easy to figure out how to properly wrap and swaddle your baby.
- Some parents may feel as though the fabric is almost too stretchy, even if it’s necessary to have a certain amount of stretch in a swaddle blanket.
- It may be challenging to swaddle smaller or younger babies tight and securely enough.
- Some babies may be able to slip their arms out of the bottom of the upper wrapped area, defeating part of the purpose of swaddling them.
How Others Compare
Amazing Baby Swaddle Blanket
The Amazing Baby Swaddle Blanket is designed for babies up to three months old, so the Nested Bean Zen definitely has a leg up on it in that regard, but it is also made of a soft and stretchy cotton that’s sure to keep your baby feeling cozy.
To use the blanket, you just slide your baby’s legs into the pouch and then use the tabs on the upper fabric to wrap and close it around your baby’s chest.
Luckily, with this guideline of sorts, it’s not too complicated to get the hang of wrapping your baby with this swaddle either. Since it is made for babies up to three months old only, it’s official weight range is 7-14 pounds.
- The stretchy sack at the bottom where the feet and legs allow for leg movement if needed, so it’s hip healthy.
- You can swaddle your baby in three easy steps, so even if you’re a new parent, it’s relatively simple.
- It’s machine washable, so you won’t have to worry about potentially washing it by hand each time.
- The Velcro tabs might seem like they make almost too much noise when you pull them apart, which could wake your baby.
- Or, in some cases, the tabs might not even be sticky enough, so to speak, resulting in tabs that don’t entirely stay fastened.
- If your baby measures on the longer side, it might be difficult to place and wrap him properly or her inside of this particular swaddle blanket.
Miracle Blanket Swaddle
Like other similar swaddle blankets, the Miracle Blanket Swaddle is designed in such a way that makes it feel like step-by-step swaddling, so it’s a lot easier to get the hang of and you can get the perfect swaddle each time.
What it doesn’t have, though, is any fastener or Velcro tab, so when you wrap the last flap around your baby, you tuck it under them to keep it in place, which typically works.
The material is also slightly stretchy cotton, which is breathable, yet warm enough for colder nights. In fact, the fabric itself has just enough given to allow your baby to move his or her legs, but not so much that their movements will unravel the swaddle.
You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s site and Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- The blanket helps keep little arms from escaping out and effectively undoing the swaddle.
- You can likely use it for as long as your baby needs it, given the amount of fabric and stretch there is and since there’s no set size with fasteners of any kind.
- For first time parents, this blanket makes it easy to learn the swaddling technique.
- Depending on the size of your baby, the line strap and strip of fabric might feel almost too long as you tuck it under them.
- It can sometimes take a few tries to get your baby steady enough to wrap him or her in the swaddle blanket completely.
- Swaddling your baby in the dark in the middle of the night with this particular blanket can be challenging to do.
SwaddleMe Original Swaddle
The flap of fabric that stretches over the front of your baby has two little bunny ear flaps that have the hook enclosures underneath them to keep the blanket wrapped in place all night long.
While Summer Infant has a variety of other similar swaddle blankets for varying ages, this particular one is designed for babies up to seven pounds in the preemie size, 7-14 pounds and up to 26 inches long in the small size and 14-18 pounds and up to 33 inches long in the large size.
It even has a harness slip that works with most infant car seats so that you can travel with your baby still nestled comfortably in the swaddle blanket.
You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- It comes in a variety of different sizes, including a size for premature babies and a style for larger or older babies as well.
- The blanket comes in a three-pack and is generally less expensive overall than many others of a similar design.
- The fabric “wings” can be adjusted as needed to get a perfectly snug and comfortable fit each time.
- The fasteners might slowly start to lose some of their strength and eventually fail to keep the swaddle closed.
- After a few weeks of use, the top of the swaddle blanket might start to stretch out quite a bit, so you’ll need to wash it often to get the stretch back.
- It can be difficult to get your baby out of the swaddle for diaper changes without disturbing him or her.
Bisdis Swaddle Blanket
Similar to the design of the SwaddleMe Original Swaddle, the Bisdis Swaddle Blanket features a pocket to put your baby’s legs and then two flaps to wrap around the front of your baby to keep it secure around them.
The fabric, however, is where one of the differences lie. Instead of a lightweight and breathable cotton, it’s made from a plush and warm fabric that will definitely snuggle your little one all night or at least during nap time when they need their rest the most.
It’s 20 inches long and fits babies from 7-14 pounds, so it may not be able to be used for several months like other swaddle blankets, but you can get plenty of use out of it with your newborn.
- The Velcro fastener is strong enough to hold the blanket in place, but not too loud, so it won’t wake up your baby if you need to do a diaper change in the middle of the night or check on them.
- The fabric is soft to the touch, so it’s very cozy and can help keep your baby warm and toasty during colder nights.
- With an adjustable Velcro fastener, you can easily pull it to get the proper fit.
- Although the swaddle blanket is fuzzy and comfortable, it might also be almost too warm for some babies.
- There is the chance that your baby will grow out of it rather quickly.
- If your baby is too long for the swaddle blanket, it may be hard to get it adequately fitted around him or her.
There is certainly something to be said for swaddle blankets that are designed in such a way that wrapping your baby has never been easier. Such is the case with the Nested Bean Zen Swaddle, only it also has all of the comforts of you as the parent with the weighted feel that makes it unique to other similar swaddle blankets.
It’s also made of a stretchy and breathable fabric that is made to grow along with your infant so that they can continue to enjoy all of the comforts of the swaddle blanket through the first several months of their life.
While your baby may not respond as positively to swaddling as other babies do, it’s always worth a shot to try it out as the feeling can often soothe babies in a way that a simple rocking just cannot.