Looking after our toddler’s teeth is so important to ensure that they have good dental health in the years to come. As parents, we need to be up to date on good oral care and ensure our children are washing their teeth properly. But what are the best toddler toothbrushes?
We have found 7 of the best toddler toothbrushes that will make your toddler want to brush their teeth!
- Straight to the Point: One of my top recommendations (Dr. Brown’s Infant-to-Toddler toothbrush set) is available here.
- Sonic Toothbrush by Philips: If I had to choose a favorite sonic toothbrush it would be Philips Sonicare for Kids.
98 percent of parents say it's easier to get kids to brush longer and better with the interactive sonic power toothbrush.
- 1 When does my child need to start using a toothbrush?
- 2 How to Brush Your Toddlers’ Teeth!
- 3 Should You Consider Electric Toothbrushes?
- 4 Our Top 7 Best Toothbrushes for Toddlers
- 5 1. Radius Totz Toothbrush for 18 Months +
- 6 2. Colgate My First Toothbrush, Ages 0-2
- 7 3. Orajel Fluoride-Free Training Toothpaste with Toothbrush
- 8 4. Baby Buddy 360 Toothbrush Step 1 Stage 5 for Babies/Toddlers
- 9 5. Original Baby Banana Brush for Toddlers
- 10 6. Jordan Step 1 Baby Toothbrush
- 11 7. Dr. Brown’s Infant-to-Toddler Toothbrush
- 12 Final Thoughts
When does my child need to start using a toothbrush?
Young children need to develop a routine of brushing their teeth and keeping oral hygiene as soon as their teeth appear, and parents should encourage them to do that as frequently as possible. Parents should be brushing children’s teeth as soon as they come through the gum with proper toothbrushes for babies and a toothpaste free of
Brush their teeth thoroughly with an adequate baby toothpaste twice a day, at morning and night (or as directed by your dentist). We understand that young children might not want to brush their teeth, which is why it would be helpful if you introduce them to children’s electric toothbrush or any toothbrush set that is colorful and interesting enough.
How to Brush Your Toddlers’ Teeth!
Here is a great guide from the American Dental Association on cleaning your child’s teeth:
- Begin cleaning your baby’s mouth during the first few days after birth by wiping the gums with a clean, moist gauze pad or washcloth imitating a finger toothbrush. As soon as teeth appear, decay can occur. A baby’s front four teeth usually push through the gums at about 6 months of age, although some children don’t have their first tooth until 12 or 14 months.
- For children younger than 3 years, caregivers should begin brushing children’s teeth as soon as they start to come into the mouth by using fluoride toothpaste in an amount no more than a smear or the size of a grain of rice. Brush teeth thoroughly twice per day (morning and night) or as directed by dental hygienists. Supervise children’s brushing to ensure that they use the appropriate amount of toothpaste and if they are brushing the right amount of time. You can easily set up a two-minute timer that will remind them when it is okay to stop brushing.
- For children 3 to 6 years of age, use a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste. Brush teeth thoroughly twice per day (morning and night) or as directed by a dentist or physician. Supervise children’s brushing and remind them not to swallow the toothpaste.
- Until you’re comfortable that your child can brush on his or her own, continue to brush your child’s teeth twice a day with a child-size toothbrush or electric toothbrush and a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste. When your child has two teeth that touch, you should begin flossing their teeth daily.
Should You Consider Electric Toothbrushes?
Dental hygienists advise against an electric toothbrush or also known as a sonic toothbrush as baby’s first toothbrush. Electric powered toothbrushes can also be a bit aggressive in terms of power settings for little gums, so if you are not comfortable with trying out electric one, there are great kids’ toothbrushes that are not powered.
If you child is over 3 (ideally 4 years old), then the Oral-B Stages electrical toothbrush might be a great fit. Even so, it’s not really something parents have to force on kits.
In my opinion, better teach solid brushing fundamentals with a gentle toothbrush head first before introducing battery-powered heads, as some kids have sensitive gums and brushing with electrical head might be too much for them, causing bleeding of the gums.
In long term, a rechargeable electric toothbrush is less economic than a manual since it requires batteries, or replacement heads, and finding the perfect brushes for your model might be a nightmare, so sticking up to a manual one might be less-time and money consuming. After all, it’s all about what your kid will prefer.
Rotating power toothbrush head reaches, surrounds, and thoroughly cleans multiple surfaces. Extra-soft bristles clean as gently as a soft manual brush.
[table id=20 /]
Our Top 7 Best Toothbrushes for Toddlers
The Radius Totz Toothbrush is a product that does not contain BPA, latex, lead or phthalate which is super important for all parents. All parents are looking for good oral hygiene with a manual toothbrush that does not contain these toxic materials, so the Radius Totz toothbrush fits exactly those needs.
This infant toothbrush, also suitable for toddlers has a safe curved design to allow kids to brush without the danger of sharp corners on soft, delicate gums. The smooth handle aims to fit in both growing toddler hands and adults larger grips. A toothbrush worth looking into for your toddler!
From babies to kids, this children's collection offers a big clean and sparkling smile without any harmful toxins.
The Colgate My First Toothbrush is a great toddler toothbrush as it is designed with extra soft bristles for effective and gentle cleaning.
The Toothbrush has a small brush head for children’s small mouths and has a non-slip handle to fit parent and child’s hand. The Colgate My First Toothbrush is one of the first manual toothbrush kids start with when they learn to brush their teeth, and they love it.
Fun way to encourage good oral care habits early on. Extra soft bristles for effective and gentle cleaning.
The Orajel Daniel Tigers training set is great for those kids that love Daniel, a 4-year-old tiger, son of the original programme’s Daniel Striped Tiger. With the help of Daniel and his friends, preschoolers have fun and learn practical skills necessary for growing and developing.
The toothbrush is a handy size for small hands, and the matching toothpaste is Fluoride-free which means the Toothpaste is safe if swallowed if that is what you would prefer for your toddler. A reasonably priced set that will have your toddler brushing their teeth in no time!
Fluoride-free, safe if swallowed when used as directed. Free of alcohol, parabens, aspartame, dyes, sugar, SLS, dairy, gluten.
The Baby Buddy 360 Toothbrush is fast becoming a popular choice for many toddlers and parents too! The 360 design round brush is perfect for ensuring your child’s teeth gets a good cleaning.
The brush is made with 10 times more bristles to enable greater removal of food particles and will also effectively clean and massage your toddler’s tongue and gums. An easy to use toothbrush that is quick drying is one to check out for your toddler’s teeth.
Baby Toothbrush of The Brilliant Oral Care Program that grows with you and your child from birth, customized for each age and stage, to help develop a love of brushing and good oral habits.
The Baby Banana Bendable Training Toothbrush is a unique shaped brush that kids love using. This brush is an award winning, best selling and parent recommended toothbrush.
The brush is developed to be safer than hard plastic toothbrushes and is 100% food-grade silicone. It is also BPA, Latex, Phthalate, and Toxin-free. The Baby Banana Brush is soft and bendable to reduce injury to teeth and gums and also dishwasher and freezer friendly – this toddler toothbrush is a favorite in many family bathrooms!
Baby Banana toothbrushes gently massage teeth and gums. The soft, flexible brush helps protect young mouths that are still learning the habits of oral care. The peel handles make it easy to clean and prevent choking.
The Jordan Step 1 toothbrush is ideal for babies up to a 3-year old toddler. The short neck and unique teeth ring are designed to prevent swallowing or pricking while kids are brushing.
These toothbrushes are also non-toxic and BPA and phthalates free. The ergonomically shaped handle allows for a good grip by toddler and parents and the colored bristles in the center of the toothbrush indicate how much toothpaste should be used.
Super soft bristle and small brush head make this a great choice for toddlers.
Jordan is the original brand of this baby toothbrush designed with extra soft bristles, a soft biting ring for babies gums, and a handle that suits adults and babies hands. Not made in China.
Dr. Brown’s Infant to Toddler Toothbrush is the perfect training brush for toddlers. It is designed to be super soft and safe for little one’s teeth while its flexible body makes it gentle on sensitive gums.
The Comfort grip handle is easy for little hands to hold and is shaped like an Elephant to help make brushing teeth a fun experience for children.
Dental hygiene is an important skill that children need to learn about. It is a good idea to shop around until you find one that your toddler is comfortable using while gentle on their new teeth and gums. Brushing your toddler’s teeth for them is recommended to ensure they get cleaned properly. To avoid accidents, never let them run around or be unsupervised, especially with a powered toothbrush. Happy brushing!