Whether you decide to breastfeed or bottle-feed, having a good pillow to assist you in the process is welcome, if unexpected, necessity.
In fact, choosing one of the top six best breastfeeding pillows is about more than picking the best pillow to make you and your baby more comfortable during feedings, but it will likely become the pillow used to help your infant learn to sit and lay in a more comfortable position while having playtime and tummy time.
The best breastfeeding pillow goes far beyond having something that curves around your body, though. It’s also about keeping your baby comfortable at just the right angle during feedings and helping them to lay against your body in a way that could be beneficial to their digestive system too.
While there is certainly a lot of solid brands and options out there, these are easily the top six best breastfeeding pillow right now, though feel free to use them as bottle-feeding pillows as well, since both scenarios keep your baby close to your chest.
1. Boppy Best Latch
One of the biggest differences that you’ll find with the Boppy Best Latch Nursing Pillow is the strap that adjusts up to 52 inches and goes around your body and snaps closed on the side, meaning that both you and your partner or other caregivers can utilize the nursing pillow.
One side of the pillow is soft for easy breastfeeding with growing babies, while the firm side helps to keep your baby more stable as you work on helping them latch.
Plus, the firm side has a contoured foam edge that is designed to help your infant turn into your chest during feedings. Not only is that more comfortable for your baby, but overall, it’s more comfortable for you too.
- Materials: The machine washable breastfeeding pillow cover holds inside a foam fiberfill pillow.
- Where To Buy: You can find the Boppy Best Latch on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in store at Target ad Bed Bath & Beyond.
- The Best Part: With two different sides that each have advantages, you’re almost guaranteed to make your baby comfortable while also helping provide them and yourself with the best breastfeeding experience.
- The Not So Great: Although the nursing pillow is large and comfortable, some caregivers might find them to be almost too bulky when on your lap.
2. My Brest Friend Original Pillow
The My Brest Friend Original Pillow makes it possible to relax and stay in virtually one spot while breastfeeding at any time of the day or night. Not only does it have a convenient cushion on the back for your own support and comfort, but it also has arm and elbow rests to help eliminate any extra stress on those parts of your body too.
But because feedings can last a lot of time or seem like they last all night since they sometimes come two hours apart, the nursing pillow also has a pocket on the side that can hold bottles, burp cloths, or even your cell phone.
The way that the My Brest Friend Original Pillow wraps securely around your body feels secure enough to help you keep your baby comfortable without the worry of it slipping off your lap during a feeding. It also keeps you in mind regarding overall long-term comfort, which is a definite plus.
- Materials: The nursing pillow is made from 100% cotton and is phthalate, latex, lead, and BPA free.
- Where To Buy: You can buy the My Brest Friend Original Pillow on Amazon or in store at Babies ‘R Us.
- The Best Part: The nursing pillow wraps around your entire body and provides enough firm cushion so that you won’t have to strain your lower back or shoulders as you cradle your baby for feedings.
- The Not So Great: Depending on a caregiver’s size, the My Brest Friend Original Pillow might be less comfortable fitted around the waist.
3. Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow
For some parents, the standard curved design of nursing pillows like the Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow is all they require and in some cases, it does the job.
It has the familiar U-shape of some of the more common breastfeeding pillows, but it also has slanted ridges that sort of navigating your baby toward your body so that there’s a tummy-to-tummy effect while nursing them.
The foam of the pillow is firm enough to hold its shape for a long time, while still being comfortable enough for your baby as well as your own arms as you cradle them on the pillow in your lap.
The Ergobaby also has a convenient carrying handle so you can take the nursing pillow on the go or easily use it in different parts of your home as opposed to just the bedrooms.
- Materials: The Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow is made from a high-density polyurethane foam
- Where To Buy: You can find the pillow on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Target or Bed Bath & Beyond.
- The Best Part: The pillow provides the right kind of support for breastfeeding, bottle feeding, bonding, and tummy time.
- The Not So Great: For some parents, the Ergobaby pillow might feel almost too firm, without much give, and therefore sometimes difficult to properly use.
4. Luna Lullaby Bosom Baby Nursing Pillow
The simple Luna Lullaby Bosom Baby Nursing Pillow is designed to help you stay comfortable while breastfeeding your baby and also doubles as a supportive maternity pillow. The shape of the pillow makes it perfect to keep your legs and stomach comfortable while pregnant and afterward acts as a nursing pillow to keep your baby close against your chest during feedings.
The V-shape of the pillow allows for a raised positioning of your baby so he or she can latch onto your breast more easily and the extended size of the pillow overall makes it a solid choice for parents of varying sizes and shapes.
It also works to support your shoulders and back while breastfeeding. Plus, the nursing pillow is designed to keep your baby in a position to prevent reflux, choking, and ear infections due to feedings.
- Materials: The pillow is made from 100% polyester while the cover is 100% soft cotton chenille.
- Where To Buy: You can find the Luna Lullaby Bosom Baby Nursing Pillow on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: While the shape is simple, it’s also extra long to fit different sized individuals, which means that you and your partner can both potentially utilize the nursing pillow while feeding or bonding with your baby.
- The Not So Great: Overall, it may not be as supportive for your infant as it is for you as a maternity pillow.
5. Shuga Bebe Couture Angled Nursing Pillow
The ergonomic T-shaped Shuga Bebe Couture Angled Nursing Pillow is designed to be as simple but as practical as possible. Its shape allows for a gradual incline to ease your baby against your chest for either breastfeeding or close bottle feeding and the fiberfill pillow can be adjusted by removing or adding more stuffing to suit you and your baby’s needs.
Instead of having any kind of curve to it, the nursing pillow is actually made to allow your baby to rest against your body during feedings which, for some parents, is a big part of that bonding process.
And, although the filling can be adjusted by unzipping an opening, there is another zipper that allows you to completely remove the cover for easy washing.
- Materials: The nursing pillow is made from 100% cotton with poly fiberfill.
- Where To Buy: You can find the Shuga Bebe Couture Angled Nursing Pillow on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: The height and general size of the nursing pillow make feeding very accessible while preventing any digestive issues that might arise from feeding your baby while he or she is in a laying position.
- The Not So Great: The price of the nursing pillow might be well out of some parents’ range for a breastfeeding pillow.
6. MyTickles Nursing Pillow and Positioner
For some parents, the MyTickles Nursing Pillow and Positioner might be the most approachable because of the standard C-shape and typically fits around the waist to keep your baby close while breastfeeding.
The ergonomic position that the pillow allows will help your baby not only be able to breastfeed more easily, but it can also help them learn to lift their head more easily with the added support that the nursing pillow allows.
And, as with most breastfeeding pillows of this shape and design, it can also be used as a pillow to help aid your baby is sitting up and holding his or her head up while on their stomach.
- Materials: The breastfeeding pillow is made from 80% polyester and 20% cotton.
- Where To Buy: You can find the MyTickles Nursing Pillow and Positioner on Amazon.
- The Best Part: There are no complicated straps or connectors or cushions to worry about when using the nursing pillow. Instead, it’s straight-forward and mostly about your baby’s comfort.
- The Not So Great: While it is made to help your little one be lifted enough to see you clearly during feedings and bonding, some parents might find the breastfeeding pillow to not be quite full enough.
There’s no denying that Boppy is a solid brand where breastfeeding pillows are concerned, which is why the Boppy Best Latch pillow surpasses all others on this particular list. From its shape to generally affordable price, it’s definitely one that will make you (and your bank account) feel comfortable about the purchase.
Any U-shaped pillow can curve around your body and cradle your infant against your chest, but the Boppy Best Latch Nursing Pillow allows your infant to lay comfortably while leaning into your chest during feedings.
With its cushion that can either be soft or firm, your baby can truly be comfortable during feedings and the comfort extends to you too, which is what this is all about. Of course, some of the other good breastfeeding pillows are fair choices, but overall, Boppy isn’t likely to steer you wrong.