Whether parents want to store large quantities of their breast milk in the fridge or just want to pump and save for later, it’s important to know about the best breast milk storage bags. Of course, there is always the option to store breast milk in baby bottles so they can drink it later and in a sometimes more convenient way, but using breast milk storage bags has advantages that bottles simply do not.
They allow for longer storage time in the freezer and the ability to freeze your breast milk in the refrigerator, thereby preserving it for even longer than the day they pump. Afterward, you can thaw the expressed milk in warm water or just on room temperature.
The five best breast milk storage bags are each useful for just that and have their ups and downs, but mostly they’re the most capable and safe options for your liquid gold and for a baby’s consumption.
Be advised to use and store your breast milk at your discretion and to always be aware of how long each bag is stored and how long expressed breast milk lasts whether it’s in a baby’s bottle or bag. These food-grade plastic breast milk storage bags may not be the be-all end-all of their kind, but they’re the best options for most parents overall.
1. Medela Pump & Save Bags
These milk freezer bags are easily one of the best breast milk storage bag options for being on the go. The design of the bags makes it possible to stand up the pouches if need be or to simply place them in your diaper bag to carry, as the zipper tops provide peace of mind for possible spills.
Being able to safely store breast milk is half the battle while having the ability to store and go if you aren’t home is another huge factor in choosing the right breast milk storage bags. The Medela Pump & Save Bags for breast milk storage can also be purchas3ed in small or larger quantities, so if you want to simply try them out, that option is always there without the obligation of buying several dozen in one package.
- Capacity: These milk freezer bags each hold up to five fluid ounces of breast milk.
- Material: The Medela Pump & Save breast milk bags are made of BPA-free plastic.
- Special Features: The zip top makes it easy and safe to store the breast milk bags, while the double-wall bags keep the milk inside safe and virtually impossible to puncture through and contaminate.
2. Up & Up Milk Storage Bags
Target’s own brand of breast milk storage bags, Up & Up Milk Storage Bags, are affordable and have volume markings at each ounce interval in order to give you the most precise measurement. For some parents, the goal is to be able to fill the bags to capacity, but sometimes, for smaller or younger babies, it’s a good idea to fill as much or as little as you’ll need in each bag and that’s where the Up & Up Milk Storage Bags may come in handy for you.
For some, the more affordable price might mean worrying about the lesser quality of the bags themselves, but since the bags feel as though they’re made from a thicker plastic material, it can bring some peace of mind for some parents as they use them.
- Capacity: Each breast milk bag can hold up to six fluid ounces of milk.
- Material: The Up & Up Milk Storage Bags are made from BPA-free plastic.
- Special Features: The double zipper and extra-thick plastic material ensure a leak-free experience, but all Up & Up products come with a 100% satisfaction or your money-back guarantee.
3. NUK Seal ‘N Go Breast Milk Storage Bags
It’s all well and good to find a breast milk storage bag that is leak-proof and can keep the milk fresh whether stored in the refrigerator or freezer, but the NUK Seal ‘N Go milk storage bags also lay flat when empty for easy storage when they aren’t being used. They’re also easy to pour into the bottle of your choice, meaning less of a breast milk mess.
The NUK Seal ‘N Go storing milk bags claim to be their “strongest bag yet” with an oxygen barrier to hold in the freshness of the pumped milk for longer. With a brand that is known for bottles and sippy cups alike, for some parents, it only makes sense to branch out to use NUK’s breast milk storage bags.
- Capacity: These plastic bags can hold up to six fluid ounces of milk.
- Material: The NUK Seal ‘N Go breast milk storage bags are made from thick BPA-free plastic.
- Special Features: While the bags lay flat when empty for easy storing, they also stand up straight when filled. This can be convenient when filling the bags or even when putting in the diaper bag to go.
4. Tommee Tippee Pump & Go Breast Milk Pouch Bottle
One of the best things about Tommee Tippee is that parents can utilize their products at every stage of their babies and toddlers. Of course, that means that even at the very beginning of breastfeeding, they also offer something.
The Tommee Tippee Pump & Go Breast Milk Pouch Bottle keeps parents in the Tommee Tippee family while offering high quality but an affordable option for storing breast milk and also for feeding their babies.
Parents can find most Tommee Tippee products, including the Pump & Go Breast Milk Pouch Bottle, at Target, Babies ‘R Us, and Amazon. In addition to the pouch’s ability to store and keep fresh breast milk, though, it also acts as a bottle that most babies will be able to use instead of transferring the milk.
- Capacity: Each Tommee Tippee pouch bottle can hold up to six fluid ounces of breast milk.
- Material: The BPA-free plastic pouches come with the Tommee Tippee Super Sensitive Easi-Vent™ valve, which is designed to eliminate excessive airflow.
- Special Features: Since the Tommee Tippee Pump & Go Breast Milk Bottle Pouch comes with nipples, parents can potentially eliminate pouring the contents to separate bottles. And for storing, the top twists into place, as opposed to zipping.
5. Kiinde Twist Pouch
The beauty of the Kiinde™ Twist Pouch is that, if parents are so inclined, they can pump and save the milk in a pouch and then use the Kiinde Squeeze Natural feeding bottle, which is sold separately, to feed their babies without needing to pour the milk into another bottle. But even if they do need to, the twist cap of the Kiindle Twist Pouch keeps the milk securely closed until they’re ready to do so.
The Kiindle Twist Pouch can also stand up straight or lay flat for storage and freezing and the multitude of accessories make it possible to store the empty and full pouches easily. And the thick plastic is designed to feel durable enough to hold and full without feeling like a plastic baggy.
- Capacity: Each Kiindle Twist Pouch can hold up to six or eight fluid ounces of breast milk.
- Material: The pouches and twist caps are all BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free.
- Special Features: The twist-off cap helps eliminate dribbling or leaking at the top of the pouches, while the large surface makes it easy to write and label each individual pouch.
- Finding the right breast milk storage bags can be a long-drawn-out process of trial and error, but once they find the right one, it can all be worth the trouble.
The bottom line when choosing the best breast milk storage bags is that a lot of different parents have different preferences for what they deem the most necessary perks. Some parents say Philips Avent storage bags and Lasinoh Bags are worth trying, so you are entitled to make your own choice.
But if you are looking for milk storage bags that hold a lot or travel well, or even enable their babies to drink right from the bags, every option on this list has some aspect covered. And while sometimes choosing the best breast milk storage bags involves trial and error, these options will hopefully do away with some of that.