When it comes to breastfeeding in public, most new moms want privacy because it is a special bonding moment with their little ones. Although there’s nothing wrong or shameful in nursing your baby on the go or at family gatherings, it is best to use a special cover that will play two roles: keeping your baby safe and close to your body while also helping you avoid any potential awkwardness. To help you achieve that state of intimacy with your infant, I have come up with some of the best nursing covers available on the market.
*The following products were listed in no particular order. I have selected them based on their features, versatility, level of quality, and users’ reviews.
- 1 Which Are the Best Nursing Covers You Should Consider? – Main 5 Choices
- 2 1. Multi-Function Nursing Cover by Hicoco
- 3 2. 5-in-1 Ultra Soft Nursing Cover by Matimati Baby
- 4 3. Stretchy Canopy Breastfeeding Cover by Cool Beans
- 5 4. Premium Cotton Nursing Cover by Bebe au Lait
- 6 5. Cotton Nursing Apron Cover by Kyapoo
- 7 How to Choose the Perfect Nursing Cover? – Things to Look for
- 8 Types of Nursing Covers
- 9 The Benefits of Using a Nursing Cover
- 10 The Best Nursing Covers – the Final Verdict
Which Are the Best Nursing Covers You Should Consider? – Main 5 Choices
1. Multi-Function Nursing Cover by Hicoco
This is a highly convenient and versatile cover due to its multi-purpose features. Besides being a breastfeeding cover, the Nursing Cover by Hicoco can also be used as a car seat cover, a high-chair overlay, or even a shopping cart cover. The product is manufactured from a breathable fabric which is also soft yet stretchy. As a client, you will also receive a matching carrying bag that makes the cover easy to carry around or to store in your home.
- It is a multifunctional product
- The fabric is soft, stretchy, and breathable while the product is lightweight and offers full coverage (360 degrees)
- Both the colors and design are modern and cool
- It is easy to maintain and clean. It can be machine or hand washed
- Hicoco nursing cover is very affordable, especially when you consider its multi-purpose features
- Some reviewers seem to think that this cover is not as breathable or stretchy as the manufacturer claims. A few moms stated they felt pretty restricted when covered by this material. Moreover, the fabric might make you feel hot if you use it during the summer
2. 5-in-1 Ultra Soft Nursing Cover by Matimati Baby
This Soft Nursing Cover by Matimati Babyis a baby product that can perform 5 different tasks. It will enable you to breastfeed your infant anywhere you are by providing total privacy while also protecting your child from bugs, germs, sunlight, etc. The cover’s material is breathable but let’s find out more advantages and downsides of Matimati Baby.
- This is another multifunctional product that can be used as a nursing cover, changing pad, shopping cart cover, scarf, stroller overlay, and even a light blanket
- Provides complete privacy and 360 degrees coverage
- It will protect your baby from external factors such as sunlight, dust, mosquitoes, wind, and more
- The fabric allows airflow, and it is very soft
- It comes with a matching pouch so it will be easy to store the cover
- Matimati nursing cover is an affordable product
- You can choose from multiple designs and patterns
- Although overall, this cover is a great choice, when used as a nursing cover, this product can be a tad too tight
3. Stretchy Canopy Breastfeeding Cover by Cool Beans
This blue and gray overlay has a soft and stretchy material that covers baby car seats easily. The Cool Beans Stretchy Cover comes with a storage bag, and you can choose your style, selecting from no less than 7 different available colors and patterns. With the help of this product, you can now feed your baby anywhere with confidence and plenty of privacy.
- It is a comfortable cover due to the soft and stretchy fabric
- This nursing overlay is highly versatile, and it can be used for multiple purposes
- Offers your baby protection from pollen, sunlight, and many other potentially-harmful environmental factors
- According to the manufacturer, it is made from a premium high-quality material that both durable and breathable
- This product comes with a Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee, and it is machine washable
- Besides the storage bag, Cool Beans canopy cover package also contains a baby beanie which is pretty cool, if you ask me
- Unfortunately, the cover is not as breathable as one might think and it can get pretty warm underneath it.
4. Premium Cotton Nursing Cover by Bebe au Lait
There are many baby covers out there, but not all of them are made completely out of cotton like this one, which, in my opinion, is a major selling point. The Babe au Lait Cotton Cover resembles an apron that creates a motherly nest for your child. The cloth’s measurements are 26 inches by 36 inches. There are 10 different colors and floral patterns to choose from, and all of them are simply delightful.
- Besides being manufactured from cotton which is a baby-safe fabric, Bebe au Lait nursing cover allows moms to maintain eye contact with their infants. This is possible due to the fact that the product has a rig flex neckline which is a patented feature which remains open all the time
- The neck straps together with the cover’s neckline design allow proper airflow while also holding the overlay securely in place
- In the package, you will find two useful terry cloth pockets which come in handy regarding cleanup and storage
- The Bebe au Lait breastfeeding cover is machine washable
- It is a fully portable product, and it doesn’t take up a lot of space because you can easily fold it small
- Compared to many other similar products, Bebe au Lait cover has a higher price but, considering that it is made from cotton, I believe the price is pretty fair.
The price of the Bebe au Lait Nursing Cover varies a little, depending on what pattern you decide to purchase. The product’s cost ranges between $25.49 and $36.38. Check out the latest prices on Amazon.
5. Cotton Nursing Apron Cover by Kyapoo
The Kyapoo Breastfeeding Layover is one of the most affordable products of its kind. It provides full coverage, and it comes with an adjustable neck strap. This apron is made from cotton, and it is both breathable and lightweight. It is easy to clean and easy to use. There are three available patterns and colors that you can opt for: blue (with blue and white stripes, moons, and stars), pink (with cactuses), and light blue (with clouds). When folded, this apron becomes as small as an umbrella.
- It is free from harmful chemicals and the fact that the fabric is 100% cotton makes this cover safe for your child’s skin, not to mention that the material is also organic
- The apron is wide and long enough to enable full coverage and privacy
- You will also receive a pouch with this nursing cover so you can easily fold it up and carry it around
- The fabric is smooth yet sturdy, and it won’t lose its shape or flexibility even after multiple times of washings
- It is a convenient and versatile product that can be used as a baby cover, stroller overlay, or blanket
- Kyapoo is one of the most affordable nursing covers on the market
- It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Although you can machine wash this product, it will last longer if you wash it by hand;
- The fabric might be a tad too thin, but it offers breathability;
- For some new moms, this apron is a little narrow.
How to Choose the Perfect Nursing Cover? – Things to Look for
Before making a purchasing decision, you should consider the following factors:
- Nursing and/or pumping – for nursing purposes, all types of covers will do the trick, from aprons to scarfs and ponchos. However, if you also want to use the milk pump, you should avoid scarfs because they don’t provide as much coverage as the rest of the styles
- Think about your baby – first and foremost, you should think about your child’s needs and the way he or she reacts to being covered while being nursed. Therefore, keep in mind that a product which allows you to maintain eye contact with your little one might be a better choice because the baby might get used to it a lot quicker and feel more comfortable
- Seasons and temperatures – if you’re going to spend a lot of time outdoors during hot summer months, you should buy a lightweight and highly breathable cover to enable greater airflow. Also, for this type of weather, aprons are the wisest alternatives because ponchos and scarfs tend to be more restrictive
- The product’s level of versatility – when going out with a baby, you have numerous items to carry around, so if you find a nursing cover that has pockets or fulfills multiple purposes, you should definitely consider it
- Modesty and the level of privacy you want to achieve – for those of you who want full coverage and privacy, probably the best idea is to get a poncho style nursing product because it is less likely to fall off and it covers both your front and back
Types of Nursing Covers
- Ponchos – a nursing poncho is exactly that: a poncho which many people can perceive as part of your overall outfit (if you purchase one with a cool and modern fabric and design, of course). The majority of poncho nursing covers are created with lightweight and smooth materials, and they lack the rigid neckline that breastfeeding aprons have. An important advantage of the poncho style is the fact that it covers both your front and back so you will have full coverage
- Aprons – these are the most commonly-met nursing covers that all shops sell. They are basically large pieces of fabric, but they also have adjustable straps which make them look a bit like an apron. The neckline is rigid with enables you to look at your baby while you’re breastfeeding him or her. This feature is also good for airflow. Aprons only cover your front side, and it is recommended for nursing newborns
- Scarfs (also called the Infinity type) – it is a very versatile type of cover, and when it is tied up, it creates a sort of small cradle for the infant. It is called a scarf for a reason: when you’re not using it to feed your baby, you can easily unfold it and wear it around your neck just like a normal scarf. So, we can say that this nursing overlay is also the most fashion-friendly option
The Benefits of Using a Nursing Cover
- More and more nursing covers have multiple purposes so you can purchase one product but use it in a number of situations
- Nursing covers work amazingly for babies who are easily distracted by keeping them focused on the task at hand
- These products give you the possibility to breastfeed your infant privately, anytime, anywhere
- Nowadays, there is a wide range of patterns, fabrics, colors, and designs, so finding the right one that suits your personal style is a sure thing
The Best Nursing Covers – the Final Verdict
By using a nursing cover, you will be able to breastfeed your baby when you’re at a family gathering or out in public and it promotes an even closed bonding with your child. Therefore, I recommend you to purchase one and see how well it works for you. But, with so many options out there, which one should you pick? Well, if you ask me, all the products listed above are some of the nest nursing covers on the market. Still, if I had to choose only one, I believe I would go with Bebe au Lait because it is made from cotton and the neckline remains open so you can look at your baby.
All in all, regardless of my personal choice, I am sure there is a nursing overlay for you in my list so feel free to choose whichever you like most.
- Top 6 Best Breastfeeding Pillows That You’ll Really Love
- Nested Bean Zen Swaddle Review: Pros and Cons
- One IS Better: Ergobaby vs Baby Bjorn Comparison [Updated for 2019]