- Baby Dry vs Swaddlers Diapers : Parent’s Guide - May 26, 2022
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best C-Section Scar Creams - May 20, 2022
- Solly vs Moby Baby Wrap : Which Baby Wrap Is Best? - May 20, 2022
Whether you choose to breastfeed, exclusively pump, or do a combination of the two, you’re going to wonder about breast pumps eventually. And since they are two portable double options, you might find yourself comparing the Motif Duo and the Spectra S9 Breast Pumps to figure out which one is best for you.
At first glance, they seem similar enough and they both even had similarly sized battery pack interfaces that are small enough to hold in the palm of your hand or put in your pocket while you pump.
The name of the game here is being able to pump on the go or wherever you are and both breast pumps offer a similar kind of discretion and ease of use. But you’d better believe that both have their differences to make choosing between them a little easier.
If cost is your main deciding factor, then you might want to go with the Motif Duo, which is a little more affordable than the Spectra S9. Plus, the Motif Duo weighs less than a half of a pound, while the Spectra S9 clocks in at .5 pounds.
Both are easy to carry with you and toss in your purse or diaper bag, but some parents may prefer the more lightweight option. They both have rechargeable battery packs that hold nearly the same amount of charge each, so you may have to look at other aspects of the pumps to decide which one will work best for you.
Both the Motif Duo and Spectra S9 offer ease of use wherever you go. The important things to look for are battery life, accessibility, and massage levels before you make your definitive decision. Both of these pumps have their upsides and downsides and before you choose between them, you might want to take a closer look at them both.
Motif Duo Breast Pump
If you need something to pump with at work or while you’re on the go, the Motif Duo Breast Pump is definitely a top option. It weighs less than a half of a pound and the battery pack fits in the palm of your hand, which are both necessary for the perfect portable pump. But it offers even more than that.
You can choose to use it as either a single or double pump, depending on your needs, and it has 10 different expression and massage modes to help you pump as much as you need each time. In total, it has three different settings. There is one for expression, another for massaging, and one for memory.
While the fully charged battery will give you 2.5 hours of usage, the pump automatically shuts off after 30 minutes so you don’t have to worry about remembering to turn it off after each pumping session. It also has a quiet whisper of a motor so you can discreetly pump wherever you are.
The pump itself comes with multiple collection containers and a power adapter for charging. It also comes with two bottles for milk storage so you can pump directly into them each time.
The closed tubing system within the pump helps keep the milk from getting contaminated and the backlit LCD screen on the handheld battery pack is easy to read. If it’s portability and personalization you’re after to get the right pumping experience just for you, then the Motif Duo Breast Pump could be what you’re looking for.
- Available Settings: It has 10 massage levels and 10 expression settings as well as built-in memory to keep track of your preferred pumping habits.
- Accessories: The pump comes with two bottles, two nipples, milk collection containers, and an AC adapter.
- Battery Life: It has a battery life of 2.5 hours.
- Where To Buy: It is currently sold out on Amazon, but you can also find it through your insurance provider.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this pump.
- The pump is as lightweight as you could hope for while still being strong enough for you to use multiple times per charge.
- You can use it as either a single or double breast pump.
- There are a lot of settings to choose from to get the right strength and comfort for your pumping needs each time.
- The memory function can remember what settings work best for you so you don’t have to.
- It’s so quiet that you can use it discreetly essentially anywhere.
- Some moms who have Medela shields may be put off by the fact that this pump doesn’t fit them.
- Unlike with the Spectra S9 Breast Pump, it can be difficult to find somewhere to buy this particular pump.
- Once the battery gets low, the strength seems to get slower and less powerful.
“The Motif Pump is great because it’s so small that I can throw it in my purse and I don’t have to carry an extra bag – and because it’s quiet! I was worried that it wouldn’t be powerful enough because of its size but it’s just as powerful as my old pump!” – Katy Deckard on Amazon.
“Small, quiet, and greatest of all – light! Because I have enough stuff to haul around in the diaper bag. Very happy.” – Meagan Lucas on Amazon.
“I love this pump. I have the Babysteps Pump for home. And I take this one on the road to not mess up my pump schedule. Small, super quiet, and great suction without it being plugged in.” – Jenn on Amazon.
Spectra S9 Breast Pump
The Spectra brand is already known for its pumping options, so it’s only natural that the Spectra S9 Pump be the perfect solution for on-the-go pumping. It’s lightweight at just .5 pounds and is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
You can either pump at home or pump on the go or at work. That’s how versatile the pump is. It also has a built-in rechargeable battery and 10 different levels of suction. This ensures that you get the most out of each pumping session, regardless of how many times you might need to pump per day. Like the Motif Duo, you can use the Spectra S9 as either a single or a double pump and it’s discreet enough to use at work or anywhere away from home really.
The pump includes wide neck bottles, rings, and caps for easy storage every time you pump. Plus, there are backflow protectors to help keep your milk from getting in the tubing and creating a bacteria buildup. The LCD screen is easy to read and the buttons are easy to operate to get the right suction during your pumping sessions.
You can also take comfort in the fact that the Spectra company is owned by moms, nurses, and lactation consultants. So not only are you getting a useful and high-quality pump, but you’re also getting one from a company that knows what it is doing and what moms really need.
- Available Settings: There are 10 different suction levels so you can choose which one is right for you depending on your pumping session.
- Accessories: The pump comes with wide neck bottles, rings, and caps, a power adapter, and 24MM breast flanges.
- Battery Life: It has a battery life of 2.5 hours at full charge.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this pump.
- The battery has a decent enough life that you can use it multiple times while on the go.
- It’s easy to toss the breast pump in your purse or diaper bag so you can use it away from home or at work if needed.
- After 30 minutes, the pump automatically stops, which can make things easier for you.
- It’s easy to read the LCD screen and operate the buttons to get the right setting every time.
- There’s even a timer to let you know how long you’ve pumped.
- You have to manually switch from the massage to the expression setting since it doesn’t automatically switch when it’s time itself.
- There are a lot of parts to keep track of and clean, which can be a little annoying.
- It may not help everyone pump as much as they want, especially when compared to the Spectra S2.
“This is an effective portable breast pump complement if you regularly use a Spectra s1or s2 on lower settings. I exclusively pump using an S1 when at home, and I bought the S9 for pumping on the go and at work. Since the lower settings (70/3 massage and 54/3-5 Expression) on my S1, the available settings on the S9 worked just as effectively to empty both breasts within 20 minutes.” – Tiff K. on Amazon.
“I love this pump. I mean, I hate pumping but the portability of this one makes it better. If I use it with one of those pumping bras, I can stick it in a fanny pack and walk around the house doing chores, or at my desk working. I love that I don’t need to plug it in except to recharge. It’s lightweight, reasonably strong and quieter than some Medelas.” – C. Mazur on Amazon.
“I have a this and the Spectra 2 pump and love them both. I’m an exclusive pumper so having efficient pumps are essential. This is great so I can be on the go and get things done around the house while pumping. I can usually get 4 – 25-minute sessions out of a charge. It’s louder than the Spectra 2 but not too distracting.” – Sarah P. on Amazon.
Although both pumps are fine options for pumping on the go and in large quantities if needed, the Spectra S9 Breast Pump is the stronger option here. It’s more affordable, easier to actually find to purchase, and it comes from an already well trusted and loved brand. Not to mention the fact that it has 10 suction levels, one of which is bound to be what you need to get the most out of each pumping session.
The Motif Duo does compare to the Spectra S9 in terms of battery life and general size, but it is a strong hospital-grade pump that you can easily purchase yourself and use pretty much anywhere. That is not to say that going with the Motif Duo would be a bad choice by any means, but when compared to the Spectra S9 Breast Pump is a stronger option overall.
Choosing the right breast pump is a big deal, regardless of how non-essential it might seem when compared to other baby necessities.
Having the right pump can be the difference between being uncomfortable as you pump at work and having a discreet and comfortable pump to get the job done any time you need it to. In this case, the pump that will make the difference for you is the Spectra S9. That’s because it is quiet enough to pump in public if you need to and strong enough to get the job done whether you use it as a single or double pump.