Last Updated on
Who said that you need to spend an arm and a leg for a good baby carrier? Of course, there is some value in investing in a brand that’s tried and true, but there’s also nothing wrong with going with a more affordable option like the Mother Nest Baby Carrier. You can use it from the time your baby is eight pounds and up until your toddler reaches the 33-pound mark.
Also, you can use it when your little one is tired of being carried and would prefer to walk on his or her own. Either way though, the carrier is perfect to use in both infancy and toddlerhood until your child is ready to transition to more independence.
Because of the different ages and stages that the carrier works with, you can use it inward front facing, outward front facing, or on the back. Of course, using the back carrying position is best for older babies and toddlers, but it just goes to show that you’ll be able to get literal years of use out of it.
On the top of the carrier is a curved headrest that can either be used for your younger baby to rest the back of his or her head on it, or you can fold it down to give them a better view of their surroundings. There’s also a thick lumbar support strap for your comfort and to add extra support for your back, shoulders, and neck, and the different adjustments that can be made to the straps add comfort and security.
The shoulder straps themselves are padded and comfortable to make long walks and long periods of wearing your baby that much more bearable. Plus, it has an ergonomic design meant to promote healthy hip development and placement. Right now, you can only find it on Amazon and officially, the carrier is meant for babies from 0-5 months when facing in, 5+ months when facing out, and 12+ months old when used as a backpack carrier.
- The shape and design of the carrier are meant to help promote proper hip development in your baby and keep their legs in the appropriate and comfortable position while in the carrier.
- There are three different positions with which you can use the carrier.
- It’s suitable for babies as little as eight pounds and toddlers as large as 33 pounds, which gives you prolonged use.
- The carrier itself is made from a 3D breathable mesh fabric meant to allow enough airflow to keep you and your little one cool while wearing them against your body.
- It also features adjustable straps, padded straps, and a thick band for extra lumbar support.
- It’s relatively easy to get your baby in and out of the carrier by yourself and with no extra help needed.
- At just $30, the Mother Nest Baby Carrier is affordable for most families, and enough so that some may be able to have more than one for the adults who will need one.
- With the mesh fabric, it’s breathable, and in most cases, you and your little one won’t feel overheated while using it.
- The lumbar support strap is thick enough to help ease any stress on your shoulders or lower back when wearing your toddler in the carrier.
- The Velcro on the leg strap openings might be uncomfortable and might even scratch your little one’s legs.
- While the carrier is large enough for some older toddlers, the straps themselves might be too bulky to be comfortable.
- Although it’s made for babies as small as eight pounds, you might be more comfortable if your baby is a little bigger before putting him or her in the carrier.
How Others Compare
Infantino Go Forward Evolved Ergonomic Carrier
There are four positions to choose from, including facing in with a narrow seat, facing in with a wide seat, an ergonomic facing out position, and on the back. Like the Mother Nest Baby Carrier,however, it’s also suitable for babies as small as eight pounds.
Only with the Infantino, your toddler can weigh up to 40 pounds before he or she has officially outgrown it. The wide waist lumbar belt is perfect for evenly distributing your child’s weight as you wear them against your body, and the general shape is designed to cradle your baby just as you would hold them. You can find the carrier on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- When wearing your baby facing in, there is a breathable muslin hood with a silicone teether to help soothe your teething baby.
- The ergonomic shape of the seat is meant to help promote healthy hip development in your little one.
- Both shoulder taps are padded enough to provide comfort for you as well, even with larger babies or toddlers.
- You can use it until your baby has reached 40 pounds, which means being able to get used out of the carrier for longer than most.
- For some, it might be confusing trying to figure out how to switch the carrier from a front facing to inward facing.
- It can be awkward to get in and out of the carrier on your own without getting help from someone.
- Buckling all of the straps can be difficult as they click together tightly, so it can be hard to unbuckle them every time.
Boba Air Carrier
But with the added cost, you also get a carrier that is lightweight enough to carry almost anywhere and has an adjustable sleeping hood and a body that rises more than food to accommodate your growing child. You can use it for both forward facing in and backpack positions, and it’s suitable for babies and toddlers from 15-45 pounds.
This means that unlike the Mother Nest Baby Carrier, you might have to wait a little while in order to use it for your baby, but it does last to almost 50 pounds, which is extends the life of the carrier considerably. You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon at this time. And on Amazon, the Boba Air Carrier is $70. Check out the latest price!
- Not only does it have a sleeping hood that’s lightweight enough to add breathability, but also a convenient pocket on the front.
- It folds down enough to fit in most diaper bags as well as purses and can be taken out to use anywhere with ease.
- The shoulder straps are also made of a comfortable and breathable fabric, not unlike that of the actual carrier.
- The body of the Boba Air can raise 16 inches to accommodate your growing toddler’s height.
- When worn for more extended periods of time, the carrier might put stress on your shoulders or lower back.
- It might be difficult to accurately fit the carrier on your frame if you’re smaller rather than larger.
- The sides of the leg holes might dig into your baby’s legs a little too much and cause red marks and prolonged discomfort.
Baby Steps 6-In-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier
The Baby Steps 6-In-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier has six different possible positions in which to wear your baby or toddler. It can be worn front facing inward, front facing outward, single strap carrier, hip seat, back carry, and hip seat carrier with a hood.
Clearly, there’s no shortage of options for your baby or toddler. And speaking of which, the carrier is suitable for little ones from 8-44 pounds and 3-36 months old. The carrier itself is made from a soft and comfortable organic cotton and soft polyester fabric that are designed to feel soft against your baby’s legs. Plus, the removable hood can protect your baby from the cold and give him or her the ability to nap in the carrier. There’s also a front zipper pocket to hold small necessities and there’s also a buckle that’s easy enough to operate to allow you to take your baby in and out of the carrier with ease on your own. The carrier is available on Amazon at this time.
- There are so many different ways to wear the carrier that your baby or toddler is bound to find a position that he or she enjoys the most.
- The hip seat makes tings comfortable for your toddler and gives him or her a more comfortable seat to use.
- The fabric used for the carrier is soft and comfortable for not only your child but also for you as you wear it.
- A lot of the available positions help to take some of the pressure and strain off shoulders and lower back.
- The waist strap on the carrier may not be long enough for more significant parents or caregivers.
- Adjusting the different straps can be difficult to do on your own.
- Strapping yourself into the carrier before you put your baby in it can be challenging to do by yourself.
Evenflo Breathable Soft Carrier
Evenflo is known for offering affordable and useful baby products, so the Evenflo Breathable Soft Carrier is comparable to the Mother Nest Baby Carrier in that respect.
You can choose from two different carrying positions, facing in or facing out on the front, and the straps cross your back to distribute some of your baby’s weight more evenly. It’s suitable for babies and toddlers from 7-26 pounds, so you wouldn’t be able to use it for as long as you might be able to use the Mother Nest Baby Carrier, but then again, it does offer breathable mesh panels to keep you and your little one from getting overheated.
There’s also a removable bib for younger babies and clasps on the side to make it easier to get your child in and out of the carrier while it’s on your body. It’s available on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Walmart. And on Amazon, the Evenflo Breathable Soft Carrier is $18. Check out the latest price!
- It’s fairly easy to do chores around the house while wearing your baby in the carrier against your body.
- With the side clip, it’s also easy to get your baby or toddler in and out of the Evenflo each time.
- At under $20, the carrier is affordable for most families and even more affordable than the Mother Nest Baby Carrier.
- Your baby can be snug in the soft fabric without the potential of overheating.
- For shorter parents or caregivers, the back straps may not provide as much support as is necessary.
- Without any lower back support, there’s a chance that the Evenflo carrier could put a strain on your lower back or shoulders.
- It isn’t designed with the ergonomic M-shape in mind, so it doesn’t have that perfect position for your baby or toddler’s legs.
A good solid baby carrier does not have to break the bank to have everything you need for your baby or toddler. In fact, as the Mother Nest Baby Carrier shows you, a good carrier doesn’t need much other than comfort, ergonomic seating, and the ability to grow along with your child for a little while.
In this case, there’s also an affordable price to take into account, as it’s hard to ignore the value it allows. There is the matter of the carrier having leg openings that might be a little scratchy and a bulkier shape than some other carriers, but it also offers so much to both you and your baby. In terms of comfort and safety, you just can’t look past all that the Mother Nest Baby Carrier offers. When it’s all said and done, it’s up to you and your family to figure out if the carrier really is the right one for you, but when comparing it to others, the value and longevity are there. And those are both qualities you just can’t ignore.