Last Updated on
I can still recall the first time I had to leave our little munchkin alone at home with a babysitter. I’m one of those lucky moms who get to work from home so the first time we let anyone look after our precious little bundle of joy, was at 8 months when we were invited to a friend’s wedding (I know, it was long overdue).
Still, I remember feeling anxious and terrified of leaving our most prized possession in the hands of someone else. A million questions raced through my mind that evening – Did I remember to tell the babysitter to let the food cool down first, does she know where we keep the first aid kit, did she see the emergency contact numbers on the fridge?
What if she’s not able to calm our little one down when she cries? I must have called the babysitter a gazillion times to check up on our little girl and I’m pretty sure that at about 21:00, she was hoping we’d just come home already because we were constantly on the phone. Sounds familiar, right?
The feeling is natural; we all experience this separation anxiety at some stage. Fact is, at some time or another; we have to leave our babies in the capable hands of someone else, whether it is to run an errand, go back to work or to go on a much deserved date-night with your partner.
Fortunately, technology has made it easier for us to keep an eye on our little one when we can’t be right beside them. Yes, I’m talking about the iBaby M6 Wi-Fi Wireless Digital Baby Video Camera with Night vision and Music Player! We’ve had a chance to review this incredible little gadget at The Baby Swag, so here’s the scoop!
- What: The iBaby M6 is a camera that connects to your phone, streaming live video feed of your baby from anywhere in the world. Can be used on a tablet as well but not a desktop.
- How: As the full name suggests, the iBaby M6 makes use of a wireless internet connection to do so. No internet, no live stream.
- Why: The iBaby M6 can be used to keep an eye on your baby whether you are inside the house, at work or half way around the world.
- The extras: Connects to an unlimited amount of users, but live streaming is limited to four users at a time. Includes two-way communication, excellent day and night vision (HD), the ability to play (or record your own) lullabies. The iBaby also sends alerts directly to your cell phone.
Still interested? Read our full review:
1. The device:
The iBaby M6 Wi-Fi Wireless Digital Baby Video Camera is a neat looking gadget. It weighs only 2,6 pounds, making it easy to move around the house (unless you mount it up against the wall, in which case it becomes a little trickier). It is only 7 x 7 x 7 inches, so although not invisible, it is still discreet. We were only able to find this device in the color white.
2. Quick installation:
Parents rave about the fact that the iBaby M6 is tremendously user-friendly, whether you are trying to install it, set up alerts or watch your little baby. Most of the installation is automatic with prompts that will guide you through the entire process. Estimated set-up time: 4 minutes.
Without crystal clear imaging, a baby monitor is useless. One of the iBaby M6’s best attributes, is the excellent quality image/video that it provides, both day and night. The camera has a TrueHD lense, sending HD imaging to your phone. Video resolution is 720p. In short, prepare to be amazed both day and night!
4. Coverage area of the camera device
The iBaby M6 covers 360 degrees, left to right so you can just about see everything, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, it only has a 110 degree tilt (up and down) which makes placement of the camera crucial.
Remember that babies roam around on the floor the majority of the time and some parents complained that they weren’t always able to see their little one if they were crawling on the floor while the iBaby was placed on a shelf.
Placing the iBaby M6 on the floor is also not the best idea so in order to ensure that you can view all angles, you have the option of mounting the camera to the wall (wall mount kit sold separately).
This will give you full range if installed at the right angle but keep in mind that if you plan on moving the device from room to room, it becomes a pain to remove it every time.
The iBaby M6 is controlled from you smart phone. You can move the camera lens, zoom in, capture images, add users etc. all from your cell phone. Take note that only one user can be the administrator at a time so although you can invite other users to view, only you can manipulate the functions such as zooming in or enabling sound.
This is great for safety reasons but it does mean that you and your partner will have to decide who gets administration rights.
The product states that any iOS and Android phone can be used with the iBaby, however, according to several reviews some parents who are not making use of an iPhone/iPad have had some glitches when using the iBaby.
This doesn’t appear to be a major issue but we thought we’d mention this to ensure a thorough review. Also, when installing your iBaby M6, ensure that your router is set to 2.4 GHz and NOT 5 GHz, otherwise it won’t work.
7. The extras:
So here comes the fun part – all the functions that make the iBaby M6 so fantastic!
- Two-way Audio –The iBaby M6 has two-way audio, meaning that you can hear whatever is going on in the room but you also have the advantage of letting your baby hear your voice from wherever you are. This also allows you to give instructions to a babysitter or ask a question while they are in the room and get an instant response without having to pick up your phone and call them.
- Smart alerts – Smart alerts allow you to customize the iBaby, sending a message directly to you phone whenever the customized event occurs. For example, you can set an alert for when you baby cries (noise based) or wakes up (motion based) and an alert will be sent to your phone. The iBaby also allows for a photograph or video to be taken whenever such an alert pops up. We love this function seeing that even though we know you want to stare at your beautiful baby all day long, you need to get work done but with the assurance that you always know how or what your baby is doing.
- Plays lullabies – The iBaby M6 allows you to play lullabies, music that is stored on your phone or even a bedtime story you recorded yourself! It’s like you never even left the room!
- Share special moments – You can share images and videos of special moments recorded by the iBaby with friends and loved ones. You even have the option of uploading the images/recordings to social media. With the iBaby, you will never miss your baby’s first word, roll over or steps as it will all be recorded! You can also invite friends and family to have access to the live streaming without giving them any administration rights.
8. The iBaby M6 in a nutshell:
- Connects wirelessly to your phone from anywhere in the world
- Able to connect more than one iBaby M6 camera to your phone at a time and have control over all of the devices, a great option if you choose to fix the iBaby M6 to the wall in several rooms.
- Allows you to record, save and share all the special moments
- Unlimited amount of users can be added to the live video streaming
- Only one person has control over what viewers can and cannot see and adjustment of the camera
- Makes use of the secure Amazon Cloud Server to ensure that you have no unauthorized access is granted
- Allows you to play lullabies, music and record your own voice/bedtime stories
- Easy installment
- Excellent quality image/video both day and night time
- You can customize alerts that are sent directly to your phone
- Two-way audio allows for real time interaction
- Although you can add an unlimited amount of viewers, the viewing is limited to only 4 users at a time.
- Designed for mobile devices and tablets only.
- Requires excellent internet connection in order to work
- The iBaby M6 doesn’t have an SD card slot so you will have to save everything using cloud storage.
- Poor customer service has been reported
- In most cases, you need to buy the wall mount kit separately
- Only tilts 110 degrees up and down
All in all, the iBaby M6 is a nifty little device. It allows you to experience special moments with your baby when you unable to be at home with them.
It also captures these moments so that you can share and cherish them for years to come and if you have someone looking after your baby, it provides a little peace of mind, knowing that you can check on your little one whenever you want to.
We also love the alerts that can be customized and sent to you phone, allowing you to get things done without worrying that you will miss a thing. The excellent quality imaging is also a big selling point for us!
On the down side, if you have a slow internet connection, you will have trouble using the iBaby and might not be able to view anything! Fortunately we live in an era where fast internet is available almost everywhere we go but keep this in mind whenever you plan a vacation or work trip.
An alternative to the iBaby:
FREDI Wireless Camera Baby Monitor
The FREDI Wireless Camera Baby Monitor is a good alternative if you are shopping on a tight budget. The camera also connects wirelessly to your smart phone, allowing you to keep an eye on your precious little bundle of joy from anywhere in the world, as long as you have wifi!
What’s the same?
Both the iBaby and the FREDI offer two-way communication, night vision and HD 720p viewing quality which projects excellent viewing quality. Installation is very easy for both devices and smart alerts will also be sent directly to your smart phone when using the FREDI.
In both cases, the smart phone is used to control the camera and multiple users can view live streaming when invited by you. You can also use multiple cameras linked to one smart phone. The devices will only work if connected to the internet – no internet, no viewing.
The FREDI’s viewing angle includes a pan of 355 degrees and a 90 degree tilt, while the iBaby offers 360 degree panning and a 110 degree tilt. Both devices can be used on smart phones and tablets while the FREDI can be used on a PC as well.
While they both offer two-way communication, the FREDI is not able to play lullabies or record stories as a built-in function, though considering that two-way communication is available, you can get creative.
The iBaby makes use of cloud storage while the FREDI stores video/images directly on to an SD card on your phone, enabling you to go back and check footage if need be. The FREDI can also work without an SD card but no footage will be saved.
Though the iBaby M6 does provide more features, the FREDI Wireless Camera Baby Monitor certainly gives you value for money. It does more or less the same with excellent quality video/imaging at a fraction of the cost.