There are not enough good things that can be said about purchasing a car seat for your infant that can be used well beyond the infant stages, much like the Graco Extend2Fit.
It may not be one of those car seats that can be used from the newborn stage all the way to the booster seat stage, meaning that you’ll never need another one, but it does offer you literal years of use.
This is why it, and others like it, are so useful. They tend to take you from the time you bring your newborn home from the hospital to the time when you finally get to shop for an inexpensive booster seat to transition to. Because of this, you really can’t beat the value that the car seat provides, even if it’s not necessarily the only car seat you’ll ever need.
Besides being a car seat that can effortlessly transition from a rear-facing to a forward-facing style, the Graco Extend2Fit can be adjusted in other important ways to best fit your growing child and keep them both comfortable and safe throughout each car ride.
Adjusting the harness and installing the car seat itself is also designed to be simple enough for pretty much any parent to adjust to, even those who are new to parenting. Of course, it isn’t without its faults, but that’s where the Graco Extend2Fit review comes in to help you in deciding if it’s right for your baby and your family. It can be used for children from 4-50 pounds when rear-facing and from 22-65 pounds when forward-facing.
- 1 Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
- 2 Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat
- 3 Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- 4 Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat
- It has a four position extension panel that extends to offer more foot room for your growing toddler.
- There is a level indicator to help make using the one-handed LATCH installation process easier each time.
- It’s designed for babies and toddlers from 4-60 pounds and can be transitioned from a rear to a forward-facing car seat.
- The car seat offers six different recline positions.
- You can adjust the headrest to 10 different heights to accommodate your growing child and continue to give him or her support..
- With up to five inches of additional leg room, the car seat offers more legroom space than most other similar car seats.
- Four of the six recline settings can be used when the car seat is in the rear-facing position.
- You can use it from the time your child is a tiny newborn up until they reach 65 pounds, which can span quite a long time for most kids.
- At less than $200, the Graco Extend2Fit is affordable for most families, especially since it can be used for infants as well.
- The straps can twit easily when buckling your child in the car seat and can be a pain to untwist and untangle each time.
- The square cup holders may not fit snack cups or sippy cups, which defeat the whole purpose of them.
- Given all of the thick padding, which can be comfortable for some, the car seat tends to make kids hot more often than not.
How Others Compare
Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
The Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat is quite similar to the Graco Extend2Fit car seat in that it can also be used from infancy up to the toddler years and can transition from a rear-facing to a forward-facing car seat.
It’s also got knobs on each side to use just one hand for easy tightening of the harness and an adjustment on the front so you can change the incline position as your baby or toddler needs it. For your child’s safety, the car seat has three layers of side impact protection and a five-point harness system to keep them buckled in safely during car rides. And, of course, it also grows with your child, as it can be used as a rear-facing car seat from 5-40 pounds and forward-facing from 22-65 pounds.
- It offers multiple recline positions that can be changed back and forth as you see fit.
- Adjusting the harness can be done with relative ease, even for those who aren’t as experienced with babies or car seats.
- With multiple layers of protection under all of the comfortable cushion, your child can feel both comfortable and safe while in the car seat.
- Since it’s made for growing children, your little one will have plenty of space in the Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat as time goes on.
- It is very large for a car seat, so it might be hard to fit more than one across the backseat in your car.
- The knobs on the sides of the car seat that you can use the adjust the straps can be noisy and downright annoying, especially to babies.
- If you want to recline the seat when it’s forward-facing, it can be difficult to do.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat
Just by looking at the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat, you can tell that it’s comfortable for a child from infancy all the way up to toddlerhood, which is kind of the point.
It’s designed for infants as small as nine pounds when rear-facing and for toddlers up to 70 pounds when forward-facing, which allows for a very wide range and a long time your baby and toddler can get use out of it before transitioning to a booster seat.
You can see right away that there are built-in cushions for each stage your child will progress to in the car seat, but the Maxi-Cosi also prides itself on being top in safety. Thanks to its FlexTech for multi-directional crash energy management and Air Protect for side impact protection, you can have a great sense of peace of mind when your child is riding in the car seat. For rear-facing, it’s suitable for babies from 9-40 pounds and 22-70 pounds when forward-facing.
- Your toddler can use it up to 70 pounds, which is more than a lot of other convertible car seats are built for.
- The different technology specific to the Maxi-Cosi brand’s safety can help keep your little one protected in the event of a car crash, possibly even more so than the technology of some other car seats.
- On longer drives, the car seat is particularly comfortable for your child, regardless of what stage he or she is in.
- For most families, it’s an affordable convertible car seat, especially for the comfort and safety that it provides.
- Getting the straps to tighten to keep your child properly strapped in can be difficult.
- It will typically take up a substantial amount of room in the backseat in terms of impacting the front passenger seat.
- When in rear-facing, you can’t use the tether to install it, which can be a deal breaker for some parents or caregivers.
Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
Two of the main selling points for the Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat are its safety and its easy installation. And when you compare each to the Graco Extend2Fit, the latter definitely has some competition.
With the ClickTight installation system, you simply buckle the seat belt across the seat and click the seat shut and its ready for strapping your baby or toddler in it for a car ride. It also has an integrated steel frame and impact absorbing base to help keep your child safe during a crash. And of course, it’s truly meant to grow with your little one, as there are multiple recline positions, a 14 position quick adjust harness, and a two position buckle.
When rear-facing, the car seat is suitable for babies from 5-40 pounds and toddlers from 20-65 pounds when forward-facing.
- Thanks to the ClickTight installation system, it’s fairly easy to install the car seat in any car.
- Since it’s made to grow with your baby and toddler, it’s roomy enough to accommodate larger toddlers.
- You can recline it in multiple different recline positions, so your child can feel a little more comfortable on long car rides when they might fall asleep.
- Since there is more than one buckle position, you won’t have to worry about the buckle being uncomfortable between your child’s legs as they grow.
- It’s heavy, so moving it from car to car can be a hassle.
- It’s also wide, even for a convertible car seat, so installing more than one in your backseat might be next to impossible.
- Although the strap can be changed as your child grows, it can be difficult to do so when the time comes.
Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat
The Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat is another option that just looks comfortable and has enough protective and plush cushioning to keep your child comfortable from the time you bring them home from the hospital to the time they grow out of it altogether.
Unlike some other convertible car seats, however, this one is still compact enough to fit up to three across the backseat in some cars. But even while being compact, the Safety 1st Guide 65 has side impact protection, five harness heights, and three different buckle locations. And since it is designed for growing children, you can adjust the headrest to maintain support and keep your child comfortable even as they grow taller. It can be used for babies from 5-40 pounds when rear-facing and toddlers from 22-65 pounds when forward-facing.
- The Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat is one of the least expensive convertible car seats out there, including the Graco Extend2Fit.
- In some cars, you can fit three of the car seats across the backseat.
- It has side impact protection and anti-rebound bolsters to add even more protection for your little one.
- When you need to wash the seat padding, you can even remove the straps to wash them by hand instead of having them stay attached to the car seat.
- When using the LATCH system, it can be hard to properly tighten it with this particular car seat.
- In one of the recline positions, you may have to readjust it multiple times to get it right.
- Once you install it, the car seat is slightly top heavy, which can make it feel not as steady, even when properly installed in your car.
It probably can’t be stressed enough that by no means is the Graco Extend2Fit going to be the only car seat you’ll ever need and fit into that coveted role that other car seats might fill. It will, however, be an affordable solution to take you from newborn to toddler before your child is ready for a booster car seat.
In the long run, it will still potentially save you money, since you won’t need to purchase a newborn infant car seat and then another one when your child reaches 40 pounds. And it offers so much protection and comfort that it’s easy to look past the fact that it doesn’t also eventually transition into a booster seat for your older toddler.