Although most babies won’t start getting their teeth in until around six months of age, it’s truly never too soon to start brushing for your little one or to start getting them in the habit of doing it themselves. With the Brushies toddler toothbrush you get to start as early as four weeks old with your child, even though his or her actual teeth are probably a few months away from breaking through the gums.
Since gums are still an important part of proper oral health, it’s also important to take care of those for your baby and to show them that brushing their teeth doesn’t have to be scary, unpleasant, or even boring.
With the Brushies, you get to choose between a handful of colorful animals like the blue whale, pink pig, orange monkey, and green dinosaur and you can even buy each one in a set with the Brushies book to go along with them and to get your baby or toddler excited about brushing their teeth.
Jump to a specific section
Why Choose Brushies Toothbrushes?
In the beginning, you can slip the medical-grade silicone toothbrush over your finger to move along and massage your baby’s gums. As they get older, they’ll eventually be able to take the reins themselves. And by then, they’ll already know what to do from watching you and will be able to take advantage of all the Brushies toothbrush has to offer.
Since they’re made from 100% food-grade silicone, you can safely sanitize them in your dishwasher and feel confident that your baby won’t get sick or have any other negative health effects from chewing on the toothbrush.
And since your child can use the toothbrush for so long, you won’t have to worry about purchasing more than a few over the course of the time they’re still utilizing the silicone toothbrush. You also won’t have to worry about the bristles becoming frayed or flattened since the Brushies toothbrush is made from the firm silicone meant to withstand most pressure.
- The toothbrush is made from 100% food-grade silicone, making it plenty safe for not only the dishwasher but also for your baby’s mouth.
- It comes in a variety of colors and animal themes, which can allow your child to pick it out on his or her own and even be able to tell it apart from other Brushies in your home.
- The soft bristles make it easy to use for your infant and not just beginning at the toddler stage.
- It can slip on either your finger of your little one’s finger to use easily enough.
- You’re getting a bargain, especially as it’s a unique spin on the standard baby or toddler toothbrush.
- You can also use it to help massage your baby’s gums while they’re teething, which in turn helps familiarize them with it at an even earlier age.
- The book that you can purchase to go along with the Brushies helps to get your child comfortable with brushing their teeth and the benefits that come along with the habit.
- The silicone bristles are longer than that of some other similar toothbrushes so that it can clean more thoroughly.
- The “sleeve” of the Brushies might be a little too narrow for the larger hands of some parents.
- Since it’s relatively thin, you may feel your child bite down a little too hard on the Brushies toothbrush when it’s on your finger and in his or her mouth.
- It’s also meant to be used for toddlers, so there’s a chance the toothbrush is too big to work on your younger baby’s teeth or gums properly.
How Others Compare
Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush
Like the Brushies, the Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush is designed to slip right over your finger and eventually your child’s in order to properly clean their teeth and gums each time. Unlike the Brushies, however, the Baby Buddy Finger shouldn’t be used past 18 months, when the Baby Buddy brand has another silicone toothbrush for your child to begin as part of its six-stage progression.
However, the Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush is a useful beginner toothbrush for your baby, as it’s made of a safe 100% food-grade silicone and can even be chilled in the freezer or refrigerator to act as a teether for your younger baby who may need it for that purpose. While one side has soft silicone bristles, the other has small bumps meant to massage and clean your baby’s gums.
- The soft but durable silicone should last your baby to that 18-month cut-off without developing any stains or tears in it.
- With bumps on one side of the toothbrush, you can easily use it for tender gums, even if your child isn’t comfortable with brushing just yet.
- Since some babies tend to chew on their toothbrushes early on instead of brushing, the soft silicone bristles make it perfectly fine for them to do so with the Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush.
- Like the Brushies toothbrush, this one may also be tight-fitting on larger fingers.
- Once you have it on, it can sometimes be difficult to get off, as the silicone might feel like it suctions to your finger.
- Since the bristles don’t go all the way around the toothbrush, you’ll have to be twisting your finger around constantly.
Oslo Baby Finger Toothbrush
It’s pretty much a given that any slip-on baby or toddler toothbrush will be made of safe food-grade silicone and the OSLO Baby Finger Toothbrush is to exception.
But to set it apart from the rest, including the Brushies toothbrush, it has a broader finger opening for other parents or caregivers to be able to use it properly for little ones. It’s also free from PVC, latex, lead, and other harmful agents, so you can feel safe using it for your baby or toddler.
While it’s not clear how young your child can be before you start using the Oslo, you can be sure that both babies and toddlers will get used to it for its teeth and gum cleaning properties and the fact that it acts as a good teether for gums as well provided that you’re there to hold onto it.
- Unlike some more narrow finger toothbrushes, the Oslo can fit over larger fingers with ease.
- You can purchase them in sets of three or six and in a variety of fun colors to make them even more approachable for your toddler.
- The bumpy side of the toothbrush can help ease the discomfort of teething and sore gums in your little one.
- It might feel almost too bulky in your young baby’s mouth, so there’s a chance that they may not get as much use out of it.
- Since it’s a little wider to better fit adults’ fingers, your toddler might have a hard time using it on their own.
NUK Grins & Giggles Infant 3-Sided Fingerbrush
You probably already know the NUK brand for its pacifiers and sippy cups, so if you already trust them regarding those baby and toddler accessories, then you likely won’t have a hard time trusting them with your baby’s teeth with the NUK Grins & Giggles Infant 3-Sided finger brush.
One thing that immediately sets it apart from some others is the fact that it comes with fluoride-free toothpaste safe for your baby, so you’ll have everything you need to get your little one started on a healthy tooth and gum care.
The BPA-free finger brush is perfect for little ones from ages three months and up and has three sides to brush your child’s teeth. The short bristles are surrounded on two sides by small walls to help clean your baby’s gums while the bristles work on the teeth.
- Since you get not only the finger toothbrush but also infant-safe toothpaste, the NUK set is a fair deal.
- There’s the three-sides portion meant to clean your baby’s teeth and gums exclusively, but the other side has bumps to massage sore gums.
- The fit of the finger brush is snug and won’t slide around on most parents’ fingers.
- The bristles on the toothbrush might be too small for some children to feel any benefits really.
- It’s probably more useful when babies are younger, so you’ll probably have to upgrade sooner than you might with other slip-on baby toothbrushes.
- When you turn the toothbrush over to use the site without the three-sided teeth cleaner, it can be awkward in your baby’s mouth.
Safety 1st Fingertip Toothbrush
One of the best and probably most obvious aspects of the Safety 1st Fingertip Toothbrush is its bristles, which are close together and long enough to reach your baby or toddler’s teeth and gums thoroughly.
Like other similar toothbrushes, it also has bumps on the other side to massage gums when your baby needs it, so it’s the best of both worlds. It’s unclear how soon you can begin using this on your baby’s mouth, but it does offer proper oral hygiene even before your baby’s first teeth come n, which is a big deal and plenty talented.
It also comes with a carrying case, which keeps it clean and sanitized, especially if you plan to take it with you on the go and toss it in your diaper bag. This also keeps it clean and away from any unsightly germs in your home if it falls to the floor at any given time. The brush is tested to be a top choice for some hospitals as well, which would put any parent’s mind at ease.
- The storage case, which perfectly fits the fingertip toothbrush, is so convenient for not only storing it when you’re at home but also so you can take the toothbrush with you to use after your baby’s meals or bottles when you’re not at home.
- Even the bumps on one side of the brush are more prominent than those in other similar fingertip toothbrushes, which can help ease soreness in gums even better.
- Its long bristles help to make you feel as though you are getting deep into your child’s teeth and gums.
- The space inside of the sleeve of the toothbrush is quite small, which means that not all parents or caregivers will be able to use this for your little one.
- If your baby is teething, they’ll inevitably bite down on this while in your baby’s mouth, and you will feel it in your finger.
- Although the sleeve opening is narrow, the toothbrush itself is relatively round and bulky, which can be uncomfortable for some babies or toddlers.
Getting your baby a toothbrush to use from four weeks old might seem like overkill or almost unnecessary. However, it’s never too soon to start caring about your little one’s dental health. At first, it might even be more of a teething tool to help your baby deal with sore gums from their teeth on the cusp of breaking through, but eventually, you’ll be brushing their teeth and in the process, teaching them how to do it on his or her own.
With the Brushies, you get an affordable slip-on toothbrush that can be used for literally years and can be serialized in the dishwasher without the worry of it melting or warping. Some brushes like this may be too narrow or even too bulky, but with this particular slip-on finger toothbrush, you can be sure that your child is getting off to the right start with oral health.
The Brushies brand isn’t the first one to make baby and toddler toothbrushes in this format, but they are one of the better brands out there already since the Brushies do help teach your baby about dental health and hygiene.