Just because your baby is done with the days of footed pajamas or has simply grown out of them for the most part, it doesn’t mean that they can’t still enjoy all of the benefits of the best toddler sleep sacks. As much as it sounds like a glorified baby sleep sack, the benefits of having one for a toddler are plenty.
Basically, a sleep sack is a cozy wearable blanket for toddlers or babies.
Since toddlers are known for either purposely taking off their blankets in the middle of the night or kicking them off in their baby sleep, getting a few sleep sacks for your toddler can help keep them warm throughout the night almost every day of the week.
The same goes for your baby. Using a loose blanket isn’t recommended or deemed safe in baby’s cribs. So, naturally, the toddler sleep sack would be an easy transition for little ones who still need that overnight warmth but aren’t used to using actual blankets in their toddler bed to stay warm.
Some of these toddler sleep sacks come in sizes fit for babies as well (baby sleep sack), so you can start using the same brand and style even earlier than the toddler stages, but even for those sacks which don’t come in smaller sizes, it shouldn’t be hard for your little one to get used to wearing one to bed, as it’s meant to keep them cozy, snuggled and comfortable throughout the night without added unsafe loose blankets to the crib or blankets that won’t even be used in the toddler beds.
The best sleep sacks for toddlers are:
Jump to a specific section
- 1. Best Overall Toddler Sleep Sack: TealBee Dreamsuit
- 2. Best for Winter: Halo Big Kids SleepSack
- 3. Luyusbaby Early Walker Baby Sleeping Bag [Baby Sleep Bag
- 4. Michley Sleepsack
- 5. Best Fabric: Nine States Baby Soft Organic Cotton Sleeping Sack
- 6. Love To Dream Swaddle Inventa Sleep Bag
- 7. Miracle Blanket Sleeper
- Other Options: Wearable Blanket for Toddlers Honorable Mentions
- Best Sleep Sack for 3 Year Olds [36 Months and Up Sleep Sacks]?
- Final Thoughts on the Best Sleep Sacks for Toddlers
1. Best Overall Toddler Sleep Sack: TealBee Dreamsuit
The TealBee Dreamsuit is marketed as a “wearable blanket” for babies and toddlers, which makes sense. It is quilted with a light polyester blanket fabric with double layers for your baby’s comfort and warmth. The fabric has also been certified 100% free of any harmful chemicals or dyes which would hurt your baby.
The wearable blanket for toddlers and babies conveniently zips up the front with a single button at the top to discourage little hands from trying to unzip and get out of the sleepsuit before they need to be.
It’s also sleeveless, which makes it better for warmer climates and ideal for baby sleep. Thus, your toddler can still wear his or her regular pajamas underneath or nothing at all to keep them from overheating and enjoying a good night’s sleep.
- Sizes: The sleep sack comes in size 12 months-2T and 2T-3T.
- Where To Buy: You can buy the TealBee Dreamsuit on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: Since it’s sleeveless, you won’t have to worry about your baby being too warm in the sleep sack overnight, but it’s also roomy enough to allow them to wear pajamas too.
- The Not So Great: Since the zipper goes all the way to the top, changing diapers can be a chore if your toddler is still in diapers or pull-up diapers (inverted zipper).
Is your baby starting to stand up in the crib or walking already? Are you worried that your baby might trip on their sleeping bag as they start to stand and walk? Tealbee Baby Dreamsuit is perfect for growing babies who need to transition out of sleeping bags but still need wearable blankets to keep them safe and warm throughout the night.
2. Best for Winter: Halo Big Kids SleepSack
Although the Halo Big Kids SleepSack is also made with small cutouts for their feet, your little one can tuck their feet inside of it at night to keep them warm without even needing to wear socks or an extra blanket.
The toddler sleep sack is made from a 100% polyester micro-fleece material. It is still lightweight enough to keep your child comfortable throughout the night. It unzips at the bottom, which makes it easier for you to make diaper changes. Also the visits to the bathroom a lot easier for your toddler.
The Halo sleep sack cotton brand has sleep sacks for every step of a baby’s development. If your toddler was already using the SleepSack Swaddle as an , you, as and your might find the Big SleepSack transition to be much more and .
- Sizes: It comes in sizes 2T-3T, 2/3T, 4T-5T, and 4/5T.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Toys ‘R Us.
- The Best Part: The zipper at the bottom of the baby sleep sack is so convenient for late-night bathroom trips or diaper changes.
- The Not So Great: There is a distinct smell to the material that may take a few washes to come out when you first purchase it.
Made from 100% polyester knit fabric with a TOG rating of 0.5, offers just the right comfort for warmer seasons or climates; can be layered with warmer sleepwear for cooler temperatures.
One of the more negative aspects of the Luyusbaby Early Walker Baby Sleeping Bag is the fact that you can only hand wash it to get it clean. However, that doesn’t take away from the soft cotton it’s made of. It has two durable layers to keep your baby in soft and cuddly comfort throughout the night.
It also has full arms and legs, so your toddler wouldn’t even need to wear additional pajamas beneath it. It’s breathable enough to keep your baby’s body temperature within normal levels.
It zips from the bottom to the top, which can sometimes be inconvenient to toggle the zipper. However, it does have a fabric flap over the zipper to help prevent your toddler from unzipping or chewing on it. And just in case you want to buy one for more than one toddler in your home, it comes in three possible colors.
- Sizes: It comes in medium, large, and extra-large, which are suitable for 28-34 inches, 32-38, and 36-42 respectively.
- Where To Buy: You can find it primarily on Amazon.
- The Best Part: If desired, you can remove the sleeves, depending on your toddler’s preference.
- The Not So Great: If washed in the washer and dryer, you do run the risk of the sleep sack shrinking.
100% colored cotton-- super soft, breathable, avoid allergy, zero pollution, safety and health, constant temperature protection.
There’s no doubt that sleep sacks are best suited for the colder months. The Michley Sleepsack makes it clear that theirs is intended for the fall and winter months more so than the other warmer seasons of the year.
There’s a front zipper to take it on, and off and the foot cuffs are open and elastic to fit your little one best, while the material itself is machine washable and even hand washable. The sleepsack is also sleeveless and designed to fit over your child’s pajamas easily as their wearable blanket to give them comfort and keep them warm throughout the cold nights of the year.
- Sizes: The Michley Sleepsack comes in sizes small, or 1-2-½ years, and medium, or 2-½-5 years old.
- Where To Buy: You can primarily find in on Amazon.
- The Best Part: With the open arms and fitted ankles, the wearable blanket is perfect for toddlers who tend to move or run around a lot.
- The Not So Great: The sleep sacks do run small, so there’s the risk of your baby outgrowing one very quickly.
Baby sleeping bag are made of high end polyester material and filling with super soft cotton, breathable & comfortable, which is free from any harmful chemicals, No matter cold winter or hot summer, they will provide your little baby a safe and cosy sleep.
5. Best Fabric: Nine States Baby Soft Organic Cotton Sleeping Sack
Instead of using thick or even lightweight fleece fabric, the Nine States Baby Soft Cotton Sleeping Sack is made from organic cotton that keeps it breathable throughout the night. And not just during the winter months, which is a bonus!
The open feet mean that your toddler can walk around the house easily. However, the material itself is soft and warm enough for your child to sleep in the cotton sleep sack any night of the week. Not only that, but the sleep sack is also soft and durable for a full night’s sleep. It’s easy enough to zip on and off, but you don’t necessarily need to take the entire sleep sack off in order to change your child’s diaper (diaper changing) or for them to use the bathroom.
- Sizes: It comes in size medium for babies ages 0-2 years, large for 2-4 years, and extra large for 4-6 years.
- Where To Buy: Right now, you can primarily find it on Amazon.
- The Best Part: It’s a lot more breathable than some other sleep sacks with easy-to-use shoulder snaps, easy diaper change, organic cotton is an amazing perk.
- The Not So Great: Since the middle layer of the material isn’t made from cotton, your baby could potentially have a rash from the fleece sleep sack.
The Love To Dream Inventa Sleep Bag is designed as a sleeping bag of sorts for toddlers. There are no leg holes, but that just means that it’s really like a blanket they can wear. There are also snap buttons (including shoulder snaps) to enable you to shorten and lengthen the sleep sack for your growing toddler so that they can get used out of it for a long time.
It’s made from breathable 100% cotton material that make it a suitable sleep sack for any time of year. Since it’s work over your little one’s pajamas, you can control if your child has short or long sleeves while in the sleep sack. You’ll also get a two-way zipper with this one. This will make it easier for diaper changes and bathroom trips in the middle of the night.
- Sizes: It comes in size small for 4-12 months old and medium for 12-36 months old.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: The double zipper makes the sleep sack more accessible for toddlers who wear diapers, but also for those who are potty trained.
- The Not So Great: Being more of a sack, without legs, can make things tricky for toddlers who are on the move.
The Miracle Blanket Sleeper is called that for a reason. It is because it provides one of the easiest transitions for toddlers who may have been used to or comforted by cozy swaddling as a baby.
As an actual sack, it’s more of a swaddling sleeping bag for toddlers. They can’t exactly walk around the house with the sleep sack on. It’s made of 100% cotton for breathability, and the underarms are made of even more absorbent cotton to prevent any sudden rashes and allow for a night of safe sleep. This is just in case your baby sweats in the middle of the night.
It’s easy to merely sip your baby or toddler in the sleep sack while wearing their typical pajamas on the inside of it. It can be done with the zipper from the bottom for your overall convenience.
- Sizes: The sleeper sack comes in small for 4-9 months, medium for 9-18 months, and large for 18-24 months.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Toys ‘R Us and Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: Since the cotton fabric is so lightweight and breathable, it won’t overheat your baby to add layers underneath it. Cozy and calming.
- The Not So Great: For some babies or toddlers, the neck hole might seem a little big, which can be less comfortable for them as they wear the sleep sack to bed.
Babies don’t have a reputation for easy night time routines - that’s why the makers of Miracle Blanket, the lead blanket for swaddling, have created yet another product to keep your baby safe and happy. Miracle Sleepers will help your little one transition out of the use of a Miracle blanket or any other swaddle.
Other Options: Wearable Blanket for Toddlers Honorable Mentions
- Zen Sack
- Zipadee Zip Sack
- Aden Anais Sack
- Burts Bees Baby Sleep Sack
- Baby Deedee Sleep Nest
- Dreamland Baby Sleep Blanket: Best as a transition weighted blanket 3 years and up.
Our gently weighted Zen Sack mimics the pressure your baby feels when held by you. Helping babies to self soothe & sleep through the night when not in your arms. Parents report longer sleep in 1-3 nights.
This comfortable Zipadee-Zip swaddle transition sack acts as a wearable blanket that not only keeps your baby warm and cozy, but acts as a swaddle transition as well. The unique starfish design provides the comforting, enclosed feeling of the swaddle but without limiting your baby’s full range of motion.
Secure adjustable fit that grows with baby. Our Infant wrap is designed to create a cozy, womb-like feeling for baby and prevents startle reflex that can wake your infant. Baby gets a safer, sounder sleep.
Made of 100% cotton, zipper opens from bottom for easy diaper changes with interior zipper guard & zipper cover for added safety.
Best Sleep Sack for 3 Year Olds [36 Months and Up Sleep Sacks]?
SO what happens when your toddler has outgrown the traditional age range for toddler sleep sacks, but still needs “something” like a weighted sleep sack?
I recommend getting a transition weighted blanket such as the Dreamland Sleep Blanket here as a way to “ween” your toddler out of the sack and into are more traditional sleep setting.
Question: Are sleep sacks safe for toddlers?
Answer: Of course! In fact, baby safety professionals recommend using a sleeping sack instead of a baby blanket. Not only does it decrease the chances of “sudden infant death syndrome” which can be caused by overheating, but, by using a sack you can also use it to calm and improve your newborn’s sleep by preventing the startle reflex.
Question: Will sleep sacks allow for safe sleep for a newborn who can rollover?
Answer: Yes, sleeping sacks are the safer alternative over blankets and swaddles for children who can roll. Your baby will fall asleep being more safe and comfortable and the airways will be open for functioning.
Question: Why is the sleep sack sleeveless?
Answer: The sleeveless designs allow for free circulation of airflow which is crucial for a safe night’s sleep by preventing dangerous overheating of your baby.
Final Thoughts on the Best Sleep Sacks for Toddlers
No matter how you refer to the bags, toddler sleep sacks are useful for pretty much any child. They provide comfortable sleeping experiences while keeping your little one warm and toasty during the colder months and can’t be taken off as soon as you leave your toddler’s bed at bedtime.
In some cases, you might find that the sleep sack is more of a bag without holes for your toddler’s legs and feet, but this can be beneficial for toddlers who may have taken to swaddling as babies.
Even if you choose to only use one of the best toddler sleep sacks for your toddler at the beginning of their transition from crib to “big kid” bed, it makes for a more natural change to a larger bed and helps ease your child into using an actual blanket layer on down the line.