Last Updated on
If you’re a new parent or one who is embarking on their breastfeeding journey for the first time, picking the better option between the Spectra S2 and the Medela Pump in Style can be hard. The pumps both offer plenty of benefits that are hard to ignore, especially if you find yourself drawn to either of them at first glance.
The Spectra S2, for example, weighs just three pounds, making it easy to take on the go to pump as you need to. And it has a built-in nightlight on the LCD screen, which makes it plenty easy to use. And the Medela Pump in Style has a convenient battery pack which makes it portable in its own way. And the accompanying storage bag and small insulated bottle bag add to the pump’s overall convenience.
Both are double electric pumps, but there are some clear differences that make it a little harder to decide which is the stronger option for you. The Medela, for example, weighs seven pounds, which is more than double the weight of the Spectra S2. And while the Spectra S2 is indeed lightweight enough to travel with, it doesn’t have the ability to run on batteries as the Medela does. The Medela also has a little cooler bag so you can safely and easily store pumped milk until you get home.
Then again, the Medela is made with an open pumping system, which requires more strenuous cleaning and a greater attention to detail after each use. Because the Spectra S2 has a closed pumping system, there is much less of a chance of backflow and it can be preferred for some parents. They also have different controls when it comes to the speed and suction levels. And since those are some of the most important controls, it can all come down to which has more convenient methods between each pump.
At the end of the day, it might be a little difficult to figure out which pump is the better option for you. But there are so many things to look at more closely before you make a surefire decision either way.
Main Differences Between The Spectra S2 Vs. Medela Pump In Style
The Main Differences Between The Spectra S2 and Medela Pump In Style are:
- Weight. The Spectra S2 weighs just three pounds, whereas the Medela Pump in Style is seven pounds.
- You adjust the Spectra S2 speed and suction individually, whereas you have to adjust both at once with the Medela.
- Sound. The Spectra S2 is also a tad quieter than the Medela, which can make all the difference for some parents.
- The Medela comes with a variety of accessories that add to its convenience.
Spectra S2 Breast Pump
Although the Spectra S2 Breast Pump isn’t as portable as some parents might prefer since it does need to be plugged into a power source, you might love that it weighs just three pounds.
That makes it easy to at least take on the go to use at work or anywhere you might be away from home. It also has 12 suction levels and let-down and expression modes to make it as easy as possible to pump and get the most out of each pumping session.
The Spectra S2 also has easy to use and operate digital controls that can be adjusted to fit your specific needs. Not to mention the quiet motor which makes it more approachable to pump anytime you need. When you have a beat pump that’s on the louder side, it can be discouraging to use the pump and risk disturbing others or waking a baby or partner in the middle of the night. With the Spectra S2, you don’t have to worry about that.
Speaking of using the pump in the middle of the night, the pump’s LCD screen has a nightlight, which means you can easily and safely pump, even in the dark. Parents can also appreciate the backflow protection in the pump’s tubes, which help prevent milk backup and build-up and keeps bacteria from invading the pump.
The pump also gives off a natural feel as it works, which makes sense since it has so many adjustable settings to personalize it for you. Right now, you can buy the Spectra S2 on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon. Check its price here!
- Settings: The pump has 12 different suction levels as well as expression and let-down modes.
- Control Panel: The buttons are easy to use and operate, thanks to the small LCD screen and nightlight.
- Weight: It weighs just three pounds.
- Accessories: The Spectra S2 Pump comes with two different sizes of breast flanges, backflow protectors, milk storage bottles, and an AC power adaptor.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the Spectra S2 Pump.
- The suction levels have a natural feel to them to properly mimic the feel of a baby’s suckling.
- It has a nightlight so you can see the control panel, even in the middle of the night.
- The motor is relatively quiet, especially compared to the Medela.
- There are multiple settings to choose from to get the right suction and speed levels.
- If you already have Medela pump parts, you can use most of them with this pump.
- The Spectra S2 Pump bottles aren’t the best quality.
- It can’t be used with batteries, so you will need to keep the pump plugged in to be able to use it.
- The breast shields and flanges are designed together as opposed to separate pieces each.
“My son is five months old and this pump has been a game changer for me. After using the Spectra S2 for just one week, I saw an increase in my milk supply compared to when I used the Medela. This pump is also more comfortable and I was even able to use my Medela accessories with my new Spectra S2.” – Alexandra Mavris on Amazon (paraphrased).
“I used to have a Medela Pump, but the Spectra S2 was a fantastic alternative for me. It’s a lot quieter and I was even able to buy an in-car adaptor so I could use my Spectra S2 in the car as well. The Spectra S2 is a comfortable enough pump to use every day during all of my pumping sessions.” – Emily C. on Amazon (paraphrased).
“After using the Medela Pump in Style, this pump helps me express a lot more milk, probably because the pump better mimics the feel of a baby breastfeeding. It’s also so much quieter and easier to clean.” – Jessica Stevens on Amazon (paraphrased).
“As soon as I used this pump for the first time, I already had more milk pumped than I had with other breast pumps. It was so quiet that it didn’t even wake up my baby laying next to me. It was quieter and more efficient than other pumps I have had.” – C. Fair on Amazon (paraphrased).
Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump
There’s a reason why the Medela brand is so respected for breast pumps. The Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump specifically is designed to work for you in doing everything you need to safely and comfortably pump.
The set comes with a pump that can be used with batteries or an AC adaptor, a storage bag, a removable cooler bag with an ice pack, and four breast milk bottles and lids. It has everything you will need to get started with pumping with this particular pump, despite whatever not too great qualities it might have when compared to the Spectra S2.
It’s a double pump designed specifically for moms who need to pump on the go to get the most out of their milk supply. It also has a two-phase expression technology, which is there to help you pump more milk each time. The pump settings are also easy to work with since they include simple knobs. And the control battery pack has a special pouch in the carrying bag, which makes it easy to take the battery out as needed.
Overall, the accessories and parts that come with the pump are of the highest quality, which is what parents have come to expect from Medela in general. And you really can’t beat the cooler bag and perfectly contoured ice pack designed to fit around filled bottles of pumped milk. Right now, you can find the Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon. Check its price here!
- Settings: It has multiple suction and speed settings which are adjusted as one component.
- Control Panel: It is made up of a simple knob that can be found on the battery pack inside the front of the carrying bag.
- Weight: The pump weighs seven pounds.
- Accessories: It comes with a carrying bag, a cooler bag and ice pack, four storage bottles, and breast flanges.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There was a 2011 recall on the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump.
- The battery pack makes it easy to travel with the Medela.
- It also comes with plenty of accessories to add to its convenience.
- Although it does have controls that need to be adjusted, the double pump is still hands-free.
- The breast shields and flanges are easy to clean.
- The suction is very strong during each session.
- The pump is quite heavy compared to the Spectra S2.
- When it suctions, the pump has a noisy motor.
- There aren’t as many speed and suction options as the Spectra S2.
- And when you adjust those levels, they have to be adjusted at the same time rather than individually.
“I love this pump. It’s perfect for everyday use or when traveling. I use it at work every day and have even used it in the airport bathroom thanks to the battery pack. The battery backup works great and the pump is the solution if you need to take one with you every day.” – Sarah B. on Amazon (paraphrased).
“This pump is perfect if you need to use it exclusively or to supplement with breastfeeding. I used it when I had twins and pumped for six months. I was able to use it when my babies were in the NICU and I love the bottle sizes the pump comes with.” – Cara K. on Amazon (paraphrased).
“Not only is the Medela pump made of quality materials, but it helps me pump out enough during each session. Because of its quality, the pump could easily last a mom through more than one child so you can really get your money’s worth.” – Sandra Y. Lowe on Amazon (paraphrased).
“If you are having breastfeeding issues like me, this pump is the trick. I had trouble with breastfeeding and the Medela was a lifesaver, as it solved my issues. And although it drains batteries fast, I invested in rechargeable batteries to help solve that issue myself.” – Samantha Glaser on Amazon (paraphrased).
Although there are clear benefits to both the Medela Pump in Style and Spectra S2 Breast Pump, at the end of the day, there is really only one option between the two of them. You can’t deny the versatility of the Medela or the fact that the Medela brand itself is prestigious in the world of breast pumps, but the better option here is the Spectra S2.
While some parents might not love that the Spectra S2 has to be plugged into work, it does offer a lightweight pump and hands-free versatility while the double pump works. It also has individual settings that make it easier to find what works for you. The Medela, on the other hand, has one setting knob that forces you to change the suction and speed at the same time. So while the Medela does have at least that option, it makes it a little harder to personalize the pump to your specific needs.
The Spectra S2 Breast Pump offers more options to get the most out of each pumping session and a lightweight compact design that is hard to compete with.
On their own, both pumps are fine options for parents to consider as their breast pump solution. But when pitted against each other, it’s a little easier to see how the Spectra S2 outshines the Medela Pump in Style. From its whisper-quiet motor to the convenient controls and lightweight design, it’s hard to ignore the benefits the Spectra S2 provides.
- Ameda Finesse vs Spectra S2 – Which Is The Best Breast Pump?
- Spectra S2 Breast Pump Review: Everything You Need To Know
- Spectra S1 vs Spectra S2: What’s the Difference, Which is Best?