Even if you’re new to parenting, chances are, you’ve heard of the Similac formula brand. But as a parent, you probably know the struggles of finding the right formula for your particular baby, even if their needs often change. Luckily, the Similac Total Comfort formula is made to cover most of the bases when it comes to nutrition and less discomfort in babies.
The non-GMO formula is made with the necessary nutrition for your baby’s first year and has broken down proteins to ease fussy tummies in babies that often comes when trying to find the formula that works best for your little one.
The formula’s special blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, and nutrients commonly found in breast milk are essential to your baby’s brain and eye development, so Similac Total Comfort has done its best to think of it all.
While it’s not exactly designed to strictly treat fussiness and gas in babies, the Similac Total Comfort formula is made to help your baby digest it more easily to prevent some of the discomforts that come from proteins that aren’t broken down enough, as with some other formulas.
There might not be a guarantee that the formula will be the perfect one for your baby, but Similac Total Comfort is an already incredibly trusted formula brand, which can ease most parents’ minds. On Amazon, a four-pack of 1.41-pound containers of Similac Total Comfort is $106 (check here for the latest price).
- The formula is made with Similac’s OptiGRO blend of necessary nutrients and vitamins that all babies need for healthy growth and development.
- It can help prevent gas or discomfort in babies.
- The tubs come in large sizes over one pound each.
- Similac Total Comfort formula also has Human Milk Oligosaccharide, which is an immune-nourishing prebiotic typically found only in breast milk.
- For some babies, the Similac Total Comfort formula can promote healthy bowel movements and less constipation.
- It has most of the nutrients that can be found in breast milk as well.
- After using this particular formula, some babies might have a change for the better in digestive issues.
- For babies with allergies to some formula additives, the Similac Total Comfort can be the answer to that, with all of the nutrients it has.
- Although it helps with gas in some babies, the immediate smell of the formula isn’t very pleasant.
- It might not be affordable for some families.
- There is a substantial amount of bubbles and foam that form once you mix it.
How Others Compare
1. Gerber Good Start Gentle Non-GMO Formula
Made with smaller Comfort Proteins, Gerber Good Start formula is designed to have not only the nutrition that breast milk has, but also the gentleness of breast milk on the digestive system. In fact, it’s Gerber’s closest brand to actual breast milk in both gentleness and nutrition for babies.
It’s made with a healthy blend of DHA for brain and eye development, prebiotics, and probiotics. Plus, it’s made with non-genetically engineered ingredients, which only adds to the gentleness of the formula on babies’ stomachs.
The Comfort Proteins are where the strength of Gerber Good Start Gentle lays, though, as they’re broken down enough to help babies digest the formula better as a whole. On Amazon, a 32 ounce container of Gerber Good Start Gentle formula is $34 (check here for the latest price).
- Because of its nutrition and proteins, the formula is as close to breast milk as Gerber has gotten so far.
- It’s helpful in keeping babies’ digestive systems on track and able to break down the contents of the formula daily.
- For some babies, it can help with constipation issues.
- Overall, Gerber formulas are relatively easy to find in most stores.
- The taste might be a little bitter for some babies.
- Despite having the right nutrients, the Gerber Good Start formula might give babies bad gas.
- Some parents might have a hard time getting the formula to totally break down and mix with water.
2. GoodSense Gentle Non-GMO Milk-Based Powder Infant Formula with Iron
The GoodSense Gentle Non-GMO formula, though possibly not as well-known as some of the other brands on this list compared to Similac Total Comfort, is made to give your baby the kinds of nutrients he or she needs. Thanks to the ingredients that the formula shares with actual breast milk, it’s designed to help prevent and treat fussiness and gas in babies.
Not only does it have the partially broken down protein which is essential to treating gas and discomfort in babies, but the GoodSense Gentle Non-GMO formula is also made with one-fourth of the lactose of other milk-based formulas, which can be good for babies who might be intolerant of too much lactose.
And on Amazon, a pack of six 21.5 ounce tubs of GoodSense Gentle Non-GMO formula is $88 (check here for the latest price).
- Overall, the GoodSense formula is a lot more affordable than some of the other more widely known formula brands.
- It’s good for babies who might already have milk allergies.
- Most of the ingredients are easy to understand and read and include tons of nutrients and vitamins essential to your baby’s development.
- Amazon is really the only reliable place to purchase the formula.
- The flavor might be a little strong at first for some babies.
- If left in the refrigerator already mixed, the formula might separate from the water and require extra mixing.
3. Plum Organics Grow Well Organic Infant Formula
As a whole, Plum Organics seems to know the value in baby formula, in that it’s important for an infant’s initial experience with cow’s milk and plant-based oils that help make up their Plum Organics Grow Well Organic Infant Formula. It contains all of the essential vitamins and nutrients of actual breast milk and is as close to the real thing as you can get.
It also contains DHA and ARA, which are both needed for proper brain and eye development for infants. Like the Similac Total Comfort, it’s also GMO-free and there are no corn syrup solids added, which is often found in formula, even if the formula promises to be as free of additives as possible.
From a brand that many parents already trust for healthy baby food and baby food pouches, Plum offers a solid organic formula now too. On Amazon, a 32 ounce container of Plum Organics Grow Well formula is $45 (check here for the latest price).
- The formula is very close to actual breast milk while being gentle enough on babies’ stomachs.
- It’s also a solid formula when switching from breastfeeding over to bottle and formula feeding down the line.
- The formula’s color, when mixed, looks more like milk than the sometimes yellowish tint of other baby formulas.
- It’s not the most affordable baby formula, even where organic baby formulas are concerned.
- Some babies might experience some constipation with it.
- Depending on your child’s preference, the taste or odor might be a little strong.
4. Enfamil Premium Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula
Enfamil is already a trusted formula brand, so it’s not hard to trust in the Enfamil Premium Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula.
Made with the typical DHA as well as inositol, which are both found in breast milk, it also contains its Unique Triple Health Guard blend which consists of 30 different nutrients for proper growth and and vitamins and minerals to support immune health in your baby.
Because of the partially broken down proteins in it, the Enfamil formula is designed to be gentle and ease fussiness or gas in babies. In fact, the formula claims to help settle your baby’s stomach within 24 hours of trying it for the first time.
It’s also fairly easy to find both online and in-store, which can sometimes be a challenge when you find the right non-GMO formula. On Amazon a 21.5 ounce tub of Enfamil Premium Non-GMO Gentlease formula is $27 (check here for the latest price).
- Enfamil is already a known and trusted brand and in the event that it doesn’t work well for your infant, there are other varieties to try out.
- It’s also relatively affordable and in the general price range of most standard formulas.
- There is a guarantee of less fussiness and discomfort in your baby within 24 hours of trying the formula.
- The smell of the actual powder might be unpleasant to some.
- It might leave some residue on the inside of bottles.
- Depending on your baby, the taste might be too strong or bitter for them.
Clearly, the Similac Total Comfort formula isn’t the first to provide a non-GMO formula that’s close to breastmilk in the nutrients and benefits that it brings. But it’s also a solid formula in terms of what if offers and for the price, especially when purchased in bulk.
Containing Human Milk Oligosaccharide, which is found in breastmilk and beneficial to your baby, Similac Total Comfort provides exactly that — comfort in your baby’s digestive system as well as all of the necessary vitamins and nutrients for proper development and growth over the first year of their life.
Like any formula, the Similac Total Comfort option might not be the best for your baby, and a little trial and error might be needed, but overall, its proven ability to help ease discomfort while providing everything your baby needs as far as nutrition goes is hard to ignore or underestimate.
At the end of the day, trying out this particular formula could be the difference between a perpetually fussy, gassy, and uncomfortable baby and one who is content after each feeding. And as any parent can attest to, having the latter is a much more enjoyable experience for all involved.