As anyone who opts to formula feed their baby will tell you, picking the right formula isn’t as easy as going into a store and selecting a brand or type at random. And if you have a baby prone to colic symptoms due to a specific protein sensitivity, you’re going to need something like Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Formula to help them get through each feeding.
The formula is made to help babies with colic symptoms by providing a lactose-free formula with broken down milk proteins that most babies can digest a lot more easily than other formulas. And since the alternative is giving your baby a formula that would only agitate his or her already fragile and sensitive digestive system, it certainly couldn’t hurt to give the formula a chance. This is especially true if you’re already familiar with or already trust Similac as a formula brand on its own.
Of course, just because your baby is crying, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he or she has colic or digestive gas problems. You can usually tell the normal crying apart from colic-related cries though, especially if your baby cries for three or more hours per day, three or more days per week, for three weeks or more.
Since no one knows exactly what causes colic or really all that goes into your baby’s feelings and discomfort during this time, it’s often related to a sensitivity they feel to the protein in some baby formulas. Because not all baby formulas have proteins broken down before your baby drinks the formula, it can be hard for their digestive system to do that.
This is where Similac Alimentum comes in and where it strives to give your baby the best experience with a formula to add nutrition and comfort to their diet. Yes, there are other similar formulas which may compare to it in terms of their nutritional value and how they work to keep babies’ stomachs soothed, but the Similac formula is easily one of the stronger options.
- The formula’s main nutritional elements include DHA for healthy brain development, lutein for healthy eyes, and Vitamin E for development.
- It’s made of iron for your baby’s development, and it’s also lactose-free in case they have any allergies.
- Since it’s also hypoallergenic, that means the cow’s milk proteins are broken down small enough for sensitive digestive systems to handle.
- The formula is meant to keep your baby’s bowel movements regular as well since some soy-based formulas can constipate babies, while others might be hard for them to keep down.
- Even babies with milk allergies will likely find the Similac Alimentum much more gentle on their stomachs.
- You can find this particular sub-brand of the formula in most stores so that it will be easily accessible to you.
- Most babies will find relief of gassiness and discomfort after starting on the formula.
- Since it’s gentle on the stomach and digestive system, you’ll even see less spit-up when it comes to burping.
- Some parents may find the formula a bit too pricey, even with the many benefits it has for babies with colic.
- The smell and taste may seem very strong and almost unappetizing, even if your baby drinks it.
- There’s a chance that your baby may drink the formula, but develop rashes if it drips onto his or her face during feedings.
How Others Compare
Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula With Iron
Like the Similac Alimentum, the Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron is made for babies prone to fussiness or crying that’s related to gas or discomfort.
It’s designed to be easy to digest with smaller proteins for your baby’s digestive system and contains plenty of nutritional elements necessary for your baby’s development. It has DHA and ARA, which are found in breast milk and which help with your baby’s brain and eye development, as well as lutein and prebiotic fiber.
It also has reduced lactose in its ingredients for babies with allergies or lactose-related gas and fussiness. With no added artificial flavors or colors, the formula is also made to be easier to digest for your baby, who may have severe digestive issues as a result of his or her colic.
On Amazon, a 35-ounce container of Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron is $39. Check out the latest price!
- There are no GMOs or unnatural additives, so you can take comfort in knowing what’s going into your baby’s body.
- Although it helps colicky babies. Your baby can use the formula for up to 12 months, so you won’t have to switch to a new one at any point.
- It also helps babies who have acid reflux or are prone to more spit-up than is typical.
- In some ways, it may taste as close to actual milk as you can get when it comes to baby formula.
- It is a little pricey when compared to other similar brands and types of formula.
- Because of the way the seal and can are, it can be tricky to get all of the formulae out of it properly.
- Some parents or caregivers might find it hard to mix all of the powder formulae thoroughly each time.
Enfamil Nutramigen With Enflora LGG
The Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora LGG Formula is another one designed to help babies with colic as they struggle to digest formula.
In fact, it claims to be able to reduce any colic symptoms due to a cow milk allergy within 48 hours of drinking it for the first time. That’s certainly a strong claim to make, but it does mean fast help and relief for your baby.
While the formula isn’t necessarily designed to be the only one your child ever needs, it does help your child build up a tolerance to milk proteins to that help make the transition to a more standard formula more comfortable for them. And eventually, that is going to be the goal.
The formula helps babies have less challenge with allergies later in their childhoods since babies with milk allergies are more likely to develop other food allergies later on in life.
- Your baby can get relief fast because the formula should help your baby feel better and be more comfortable within 48 hours of drinking it.
- It typically helps relieve diarrhea and constipation in babies as well, which are two things that simply add to discomfort a lot of the time.
- There’s also no added corn syrup in the ingredients, as so many other similar formulas have, despite claiming to be healthy for your baby.
- For babies with milk allergies, this may be one of the only formulas they can properly digest.
- For the amount of ounces you get for the cost, the formula is relatively pricey for most families.
- Some babies may reject the formula because of the taste, regardless of how it might help ease their colic-related gas or discomfort.
- If your baby does not have a digestive problem, giving him or her this particular formula could have a reverse effect and cause diarrhea and gas.
Gerber Good Start Infant Formula
The key ingredient in the Gerber Good Start Infant Formula to help ease discomfort in your baby is its Comforting Probiotics, which are added to help reduce excessive crying directly related to the gas and discomfort that come with colic in some babies. The comfort proteins themselves, which are smaller proteins which are better on small stomachs, contain a blend of carbohydrates, lactose, and DHA, which is useful for your baby’s health and overall development.
While it’s not meant to be used to treat or prevent any allergies in your baby, the formula is useful in providing a healthy alternative to other formulas that may be harder for your little one to digest each time properly. Plus, it’s another non-GMO formula with added L. reuteri, which is an important probiotic found in breastmilk and good for your baby at any stage.
- Not only does the formula have essential nutrients and vitamins, but also nutrients found in breast milk, which are plenty important.
- Gassy breastfed babies can even benefit from the relief that the formula provides.
- Babies with both gassiness and reflux issues can benefit from the ingredients of the formula and see fast results.
- There is a lot fewer air bubble when you mix the formula, which helps lessen gassiness or discomfort in your baby’s stomach.
- The powder can be harder to break up when mixing larger bottles for your baby.
- Some babies may still have constipation after drinking the formula since it can work differently for different babies.
- There’s also a chance that gassiness and fussiness could get worse with the Gerber formula, so you may end up switching to yet another brand for your baby to try.
There’s nothing quite like having a crying baby and not knowing how to calm, soothe, or help them. There’s only so much you can do as a parent, especially when the only way infants have of communicating is by crying. Colic especially can be hard to handle, not only for babies but also for parents. Sometimes, it takes going through several different formulas to find the one that your baby enjoys and that works well with his or her digestive system. Where price, effectiveness, and even taste are concerned, the Similac Alimentum Formula is a reliable option for your baby’s tummy and your wallet as well.
There might be others which compare as far as the cost goes, but for the amount you get and for the way it provides nutrition to your baby, the Similac Alimentum formula is a fair deal for your baby. And in addition to the iron it offers, there are also plenty of other nutrients like DHA to help in your baby’s brain and eye development and help strengthen their immune system.
The most prominent strength of the formula lays with the broken down proteins in the formula, which will help your baby’s digestive system much more quickly than other formulas that may not be gentle enough for already sensitive digestive systems in young babies.
Of course, there is the off chance that your baby doesn’t respond well to this particular formula. But for all intents and purposes, it’s definitely worth the try. And even if you don’t think your baby has colicky symptoms, if he or she has issues with digestion, gassiness, or otherwise discomfort, the Similar Alimentum is still plenty useful.