When the time comes to choose a car seat for your new baby, you can understandably feel a little confused – there’s just so much choice out there!
A car seat is one of those things you have to purchase, even if you don’t have a car of your own, because your baby will need a car seat to leave the hospital in, even if you are traveling in a taxi or on public transport.
Safety is likely to be one of your top concerns when buying a car seat, but don’t worry – the safety standards for infant car seats set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are very high, so you can rest assured that whichever car seat you choose will be a safe choice for your baby.
Today we are going to look at two of the leading convertible car seats to see if one is better than the other.
We will be comparing the Nuna Rava vs Graco 4ever and so will be looking at the safety features, style, ease of use, and price of both of these models, to help you decide which one you should buy. Before we get started let’s just take a look at the different type of car seats available so you can be sure you are purchasing the right one for your needs.
- 1 Types of Car Seat Available
- 2 The Main Differences Between the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever
- 3 Nuna Rava vs Graco 4Ever – Which one should you choose?
- 4 Nuna Rava Car Seat
- 5 Graco 4Ever Car Seat
- 6 The Verdict: Nuna Rava vs Graco 4Ever?
- 7 FAQ’s About the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever
- 7.1 Is it safe for my child’s feet to touch the back of the seat when the car seat is rear facing?
- 7.2 When can my child be faced forward in the Nuna Rava?
- 7.3 Can I use a seat protector under my Nuna Rava to protect my car seats?
- 7.4 Is there a height limit for rear facing use of the Graco 4Ever?
- 7.5 At what age do you remove the body support in the Graco 4Ever?
- 8 Final Thoughts: Graco 4Ever or Nuna Rava?
Types of Car Seat Available
Baby Car Seat (Infant-Only Car Seat). This type of car seat is designed for babies from birth up until around 35lbs. It can often be attached to a stroller base to create a handy travel system, and is small enough to easily be used on public such a busses, taxis, trains, and planes. A baby car seat has a handle for carrying it around, and it can be securely installed in the car with a Latch system base, or a traditional seatbelt.
Convertible Car seat. This type of car seat is suitable for both babies and toddlers because it extends as your baby grows and can be used in both a forward facing and rear facing position, depending on the age of the child. One of the best things about a convertible car seat is that since it can be used from birth you can skip the ‘Baby Car Seat’ altogether, making it a more economical choice. The downside to this is that it cannot be carried around with the baby in it, which may make it unsuitable for families with a newborn who travel a lot.
Booster Seat. A booster seat is a car seat for older children typically weighing between 40-80lbs. This type of car seat is designed to raise the child to a height where the normal car seat fits them safely. Booster seats have slots for the car seat belt to be placed under to hold them in position, and also have a winged headrest to protect the child’s head in case of an accident. Booster seats can be placed in the front of the car with the airbag switched off, but are recommended as safer in the back.
The Main Differences Between the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever
- The Rear facing limit of the Graco 4Ever is 40lbs and the Nuna Rava is 50lbs
- The Nuna Rava is narrower at 19 inches, The Graco 4ever is 21.5 inches
- The Graco 4Ever is suitable from just 4lbs, The Nuna Rava starts from 5lbs
- Nuna Rava comes in more colors
- Graco 4Ever uses a LATCH installation system
- Nuna Rava comes in naturally flame retardant materials with no chemicals
- Nuna Rava is more expensive
There are a few differences between these two models, which might mean that one is better for you than the other. The biggest difference is the size limit. The Graco 4Ever is suitable from 4lbs all the way to 120lbs, meaning you will never need to buy another car seat for your child.
Nuna Rava vs Graco 4Ever – Which one should you choose?
Both the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever are convertible car seats by leading brands. The safety features on both models exceed the NHTSA requirements, so you can be sure whichever one you choose you little one will be safe. The fact that these car seats are convertible is much more economical in the long run, as you can skip the ‘Infant Only’ car seat stage, saving you money and reducing plastic waste in landfill.
Convertible car seats are designed to stay in the vehicle, rather than be carried around like an infant only car seat. This does mean that they are slightly bulkier, but they can still be used on airplanes so you can still take them away on holiday with you, even if they are slightly bulkier, but you can buy a travel bag for this purpose to make things easier.
Today we are going to look in detail at both the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever to see which of these car seats is better. We will look at the pros and cons of each, as well as the style, price, and reviews from other parents, to give you an unbiased view of which of these convertible car seats will suit your baby better.
Nuna Rava Car Seat
The Nuna Rava is a convertible car seat designed by the popular baby brand, Nuna. The Nuna Rava is suitable for babies and toddlers from 5-65lbs, and the car seat is recommended to be used in the safer rear-facing mode until your toddler is 50lb (approximately 2 years), although the seat can be changed to the forward facing position from 25lbs.
Installation is easy and hassle free using the seatbelt of the vehicle. There are simple instructions in the manual or quick and easy video tutorials on the Nuna website. Nuna state that this is their preferred method of installation as it eliminates any confusion of when to switch from lower anchors to the vehicle seatbelt, and it also fits more vehicles by installing it this way.
The Nuna Rava offers 10 different recline positions, 5 each for rear facing and forward facing, with a bubble-free, easy to read recline angle guide to let you know when you are in the right position. There is plenty of legroom for your little one, with an extra two inches available in rear-facing mode. This extra space also provides more stability when the seat is in forward facing mode.
There are numerous safety features in the Nuna Rava, including an all-steel frame with reinforced belt path, and Side Impact Protection (SIP) pods filled with energy absorbing foam in the headrest. Because the Nuna Rava is aircraft certified, you can also take it away on holiday with you to use on the plane and in your hire car at your destination.
6 different colors are available to match other Nuna products. The materials on the car seat use no flame retardant chemicals, but instead use naturally flame retardant merino wool, and a polyester and bamboo blend material to ensure baby stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer, without compromising on fire safety. Bamboo is also hypoallergenic and naturally antibacterial, which is perfect for an area that might see lots of spills.
Features of the Nuna Rava Car Seat
- Suitable from birth or 5lbs
- ‘Simply Secure’ Installation
- Extra Legroom
- Dual ‘Flip Open’ cup holders
- 10 Recline positions
- 10 position headrest
- No-rethread, two-position crotch strap
- Rear-facing weight limit is 50lbs
- Forward facing suitable from 25-65lbs
- Size: height 25 x width 19 x length 16 inches
- No-rethread harness
- Cup holders
- Available in 6 colors
- Naturally, flame retardant materials without the use of chemicals
- Keeps baby cool in the summer and cozy in the winter
- Easy to install
- Rear-facing limit is a huge 50lbs
- 2-year warranty
- Very expensive (but check here for discounts)
- Does not use a LATCH installation system
Parents Opinions of the Nuna Rava
We’ve been looking at the reviews to see what parents are saying about the Nuna Rava:
- It’s comfortable and easy to install
- Well cushioned
- Babies who previously hated being in the car like the Nuna Rava
- The colors don’t show much dirt
- Nothing else compares
- The cup holders are very useful
- The cover is easy to clean and is also machine washable
- Heavy to move
- Definitely worth the high price
It’s clear that parents absolutely love the Nuna Rava, with an overall score of 4.9 out of 5 stars. Although it’s pricey, parents say they are happy to pay the high price for the comfort and peace of mind it gives them. You can find the Nuna Rava via PishPoshBaby at this listing.
Nuna Rava Comparisons
Here are some additional direct car seat comparisons that we’ve done with the Nuna Rava:
Graco 4Ever Car Seat
The Graco 4Ever is a 4-in-1 convertible car seat by the popular brand, Graco. The astonishing thing about the Graco 4Ever is that is can be used from birth (4lbs) all the way to 10 years (120lbs) which is a huge age range for a car seat.
The 4Ever easily transitions from a rear-facing baby car seat, to a forward facing 5 point harness seat for toddlers, to a high back booster seat for older children, and finally to a backless booster seat for children up to the age of 10, so you really get your money’s worth with this car seat.
The Graco 4Ever uses the LATCH system to connect to the car, so you can be sure that it is installed correctly and securely every time. Easy to read level indicators let you know that you have correctly installed the car seat when using the rear-facing position, and the no-rethread ‘Simply Safe’ harness system is adjusted with the headrest and is very easy to use.
6 recline positions and a 10 position adjustable headrest ensure a comfy ride for babies and toddlers of all ages, and a steel reinforced frame gives you peace of mind knowing that the car seat is extremely strong and durable. The Graco 4Ever has been rigorously crash tested and meets or exceeds all of the high standards set by the NHTSA.
The seat comes with two cup holders to keep baby bottles close at hand on long journeys, and the seat covers and cushions are machine washable, which is handy for all those inevitable spills. Sadly unlike the Nuna Rava’s colour collection, the Graco 4Ever only comes in two colors; black and white, and black and white with stripes.
Features of the Graco 4Ever Car Seat
- Suitable from birth or 4lbs
- Can take children up to 10 years, or 120lbs
- LATCH system installation
- Dual cup holders
- 6 Recline positions
- 10 position headrest
- No-rethread, adjustable harness
- Rear-facing weight limit is 40lbs
- Forward facing with harness suitable from 25-65lbs
- Size: height 24 x width 21.5 x length 20 inches
- No-rethread harness
- Cup holders
- Easy to install
- Uses the LATCH system
- Rear-facing limit is 40lbs
- Can be used from birth up to 10 years
- Reasonably priced
- Cup holders can be removed easily for washing
- Does not use a LATCH installation system
- Quite wide at 21.5
- Not many colors to choose from
- The Graco 4Ever Car Seat is available on Amazon and you can check the price here
Parents Opinions of the Graco 4Ever
We’ve been looking at the reviews to see what parents really think about the Graco 4Ever:
- Great carseat for several stages of growth
- Plenty of room for tall children
- Fits well in the center seat of the car
- Easy to install and switch between vehicles
- Comfortable material
- Easy to adjust
- The only car seat you will ever have to buy
We can see that parents love the Graco 4Ever car seat, with 4.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the only negative reviews we found were parents who were unhappy with the color or had not used the car seat correctly.
Graco 4Ever Comparisons
Here are some additional car seat comparisons that we have done specifically with Graco 4Ever:
- Graco Milestone vs Graco 4Ever – Which Should You Buy?
- Graco 4Ever vs Graco Extend2Fit Compared
- Graco 4Ever vs Chicco NextFit Compared
- Graco 4Ever vs Graco SlimFit Compared
- Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit vs Graco Platinum
The Verdict: Nuna Rava vs Graco 4Ever?
If you are choosing a convertible car seat for your baby or toddler, then either of these would be a fantastic choice, however, we have decided to pick a winner from these two, and that winner is the Graco 4Ever.
We chose the Graco 4Ever as our winner because of the fact that it is suitable from just 4lbs all the way to 120lbs, meaning you will never need another car seat for your child. This is great because it not only saves money but also reduces the amount of plastic waste that will go to landfill, since car seats cannot be reused or recycled.
The other reason we have chosen the Graco 4ever is the price. This car seat offers excellent value for money, especially considering its 10-year life span.
The Nuna Rava, on the other hand, is a bit pricier for a seat that can only be used until the child reaches 65lbs.
Although saying this, we have to acknowledge the superior materials of the Nuna Rava, as well as the many recline positions available, making it a very comfortable and luxurious choice if you have that kind of money to spend.
FAQ’s About the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever
Is it safe for my child’s feet to touch the back of the seat when the car seat is rear facing?
Yes, it’s perfectly fine for your child’s feet to touch the seat. Your child can put their feet in whichever position is most comfortable for them, as long as the harness is correctly fitted.
When can my child be faced forward in the Nuna Rava?
The Nuna Rava can be used in the forward facing position from 25lbs (around 2 years old) however, we recommend keeping your child in the rear-facing position for as long as possible, which is up to 50lbs. This is because the rear facing position offers better protection for a child’s growing head, neck, and spine during an impact.
Can I use a seat protector under my Nuna Rava to protect my car seats?
Nuna does not recommend using a seat protector underneath any of its car seats, as it could alter the effectiveness of the car seat during a crash. The bottom of the Nuna Rava has been designed to be smooth, so it should not cause any damage to your car seats.
Is there a height limit for rear facing use of the Graco 4Ever?
The height limit is less than 1″ below the top of the headrest when rear facing, and for forward facing with harness the height limit is 52″.
At what age do you remove the body support in the Graco 4Ever?
Graco recommends that the body support is only used in the rear facing mode.
Final Thoughts: Graco 4Ever or Nuna Rava?
Both the Nuna Rava and the Graco 4Ever are excellent car seats.
We have chosen the Graco 4Ever as our winner due to its low price and long life, giving you excellent value for money as well as comfort and quality.
The Nuna Rava is the luxury choice, made from high-quality fabrics and available in lovely colors, so if you have lots of money to spend on a car seat this could be a great option for you, as long as you don’t mind having to buy another car seat when your child outgrows the Rava.
- Best Graco Brand Car Seat Options
- Nuna Pipa vs Nuna Pipa Lite – Which is Best?
- Nuna Rava Review : Is This The Best Car Seat Ever?
- Graco 4Ever Car Seat Review
- Nuna Pipa Review: Is This The Best Car Seat for Your Little One?
- Graco Atlas vs Natilus Comparison
- Updated Car Seat Recall List