- Solly Baby vs Baby K’tan : Which is the Best Option? - May 12, 2022
- Nuna Pipa vs UPPAbaby Mesa: Comfort, Safety and Reliability Compared - May 12, 2022
- Little Spoon vs Yumi Compared : Which is Best? - May 11, 2022
According to WebMD, over 40% of the world’s population are lactose intolerant, a condition that can be hereditary and – in infants and toddlers – has symptoms that include bloating, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours after consuming milk. Lactose intolerance isn’t the same as a milk allergy, which has its own specific symptoms.
Lactose intolerance generally occurs as a child gets older and is normally recognizable by the time they’re three. However, at the same time, it isn’t uncommon for babies to struggle to digest breast milk or formula containing cow’s milk because of the high lactose content.
If this is something you’re finding with your baby, goats milk formulas may be an alternative because, although it contains lactose, the levels are lower. They also contain fewer allergenic proteins. This means your baby is less likely to have an allergic reaction to goat milk (compared to cow’s milk) and should find the formula easier to digest.
And, because it’s easy to digest, your baby can take in more of the nutrients that occur naturally in high levels in goat milk, including vitamins A, D, B1, 2 and 12 as well as calcium, magnesium, zinc, iodine and phosphorus, all of which support growth and the immune system.
Knowing there are formulas out there that can help your baby feed well, however, is only half the battle. Now, you need to decide which is best for your little one. With this article, we hope to take some of the guesswork out of the decision-making process for you by comparing two of our favorite goat milk formulas of recent years (Kabrita and Nanny Care) to see which one is best for your baby.
We’ll look at the key features of each brand, their pros, and cons as well as the opinions of parents who’ve used them. First, though, we’ll look at the different types of formulas on the market, and what you should think about when choosing which to buy.
Bottom Line Up Front: When you look at the ingredients for both it’s hard not to see that, even when you can get all three Kabrita stages in the US (without having to pay a fortune in shipping), you would probably still want to choose Nanny Care here (you can save 5% with code BABYSWAG5 at checkout).
- 1 Main Differences between Kabrita vs Nanny Care
- 2 A brief guide to baby formulas
- 3 Forms of baby formula
- 4 Types of baby formula
- 5 Kabrita vs. Nanny Care – Which is better for your baby?
- 6 Kabrita Baby Formula
- 7 Parents popular opinion on Kabrita Baby Formula
- 8 Nanny Care Baby Formula
- 9 Parents popular opinion on Nanny Care Baby Formula
- 10 The Verdict: NannyCare or Kabrita?
- 11 FAQ’s about Kabrita and Nanny Care Formula
- 12 Final Thoughts on Kabrita vs Nanny Care
Main Differences between Kabrita vs Nanny Care
The main differences between Kabrita and Nanny Care are:
- Kabrita adds extra goat milk whey to maintain a breast milk-like balance, whereas NannyCare does not
- Kabrita adds DHA, whereas Nannycare does not add DHA
- Nanny Care does not contain palm olein oil, whereas Kabrita can contain palm oil
A brief guide to baby formulas
We have written in detail about different types and forms of baby formulas as well as what to look for when making a purchase here. To make your life easier, however, we thought we’d cover the main points in this article.
Forms of baby formula
There are three main types of baby formula available to buy:
1. Powdered: The least expensive of baby formulas, they are also the most time-consuming because they don’t come pre-prepared. Powdered formulas have a long shelf-life (normally up to one month), making them ideal for parents who don’t need to use formula very often or are looking to wean babies off breast milk.
2. Liquid: This formula come pre-prepared and ready for your baby to drink. You don’t need to work out measurements or worry about having supplies to hand to mix the product, meaning it’s great if you are out and about and won’t have access to clean water. The downsides? It’s expensive and has a short shelf life (normally only 48 hours).
3. Concentrated Liquid: You need to mix this formula in the same way you do the powdered version. However, mixing tends to be easier and requires fewer measurements. As with pre-prepared liquid formula, the concentrated option can be expensive.
Types of baby formula
While we’re looking at goat milk formulas today, there are other types available including:
- Cow’s Milk: This is the most common type of formula and works for most babies.
- Soy-based: This formula is made from soy, a plant-based protein, offering a solution for families who want to raise their child on a vegan-based diet or for babies with cow milk allergies, congenital lactase deficiency, transient lactose deficiency, or galactosemia.
- Hydrolyzed: Ideal for babies with milk protein allergies or nutrient absorption issues, this formula breaks down proteins into smaller parts, making it easier for your baby to digest.
- Lactose-free: A formula for infants who are lactose intolerant with the lactose sugar replaced with corn syrup or other forms of sugar.
- Organic: A milk formula made with organic milk, which could be better for your baby; these can be expensive so it’s worth reading reviews before you buy any.
Important ingredients for baby formula
When you’re buying baby formula, it’s easy to be blinded by science and a list of ingredients that may or may not mean anything to you. Ones you want to look out for include:
- Protein, which may be listed as whey and/or casein, mirroring the proteins of breast milk
- Carbohydrates, which are generally found in lactose but, for soy-based or lactose-free formulas may be replaced with modified cornstarch, corn syrup, corn maltodextrin or sucrose.
- Fats, which are found as a mix of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated in breast milk and replaced in formulas with oils including coconut, sunflower, soy or palm oil.
- Minerals and vitamins, with iron (ferrous sulfate), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) and vitamin B5 (calcium pantothenate) among the most important.
- Amino acids, which are replaced with carnitine and taurine in lactose-free and soy-based formulas.
Some formulas contain dietary fiber, which might help your baby if they have diarrhea, or prebiotics and probiotics, which support a healthy digestive system. The latter can, however, be harmful so check with your doctor before you choose a formula containing these ingredients.
Kabrita vs. Nanny Care – Which is better for your baby?
Both Kabrita and Nanny Care are well known and popular brands that have loyal followers amongst the parents out there and get good reviews from people who’ve used the formula(s). We like them both and both have lots going for them. Each has downsides too, which we’ll look at here, helping you decide which is the formula for you.
Kabrita Baby Formula
Kabrita is a European brand formula that began life as a specialist dairy farmer over 100 years ago. Today, they produce a wide range of dairy products including goat milk baby formula, which they believe is better for babies and toddlers because it is gentler on the stomach and of high nutritional value.
Their formula offers a great alternative to parents whose children are, or may be, lactose intolerant because it’s easier to digest. It is produced from high quality goat milk and high in natural nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids.
Kabrita’s baby formula is naturally rich with vitamins (A, D, B1, B2, B12), minerals (including calcium, magnesium, iodine, zine and phosphorus), and fatty acids (DHA and AA) designed to support your baby’s ongoing development.
Additional vitamins, minerals and fatty acids such as whey protein and their patented DigestX OPO-fat blend, are added to increase the goat milk’s benefits and ensure your child receive the right levels of each at every stage of their young lives.
Unfortunately, in the US it’s only available for children aged 12 months plus, though infant and follow-on formulas can be ordered from the UK via Amazon.
List of Kabrita Baby Formulas on the market
Currently, Kabrita is only available as toddler milk in the US, because while it’s met the nutritional requirements for infant formula it has not yet completed the clinical trials required to be marketed as such. 2020 UPDATE: Kabrita is now selling direct via their website here!
- Kabrita 1 Infant Milk – From birth up to 6 months
- Kabrita 2 Follow on Milk – From 6 months to 12 months
- Kabrita 3 Toddler Milk – From 12 months plus
- No added colors, artificial flavors or hormones, and pesitcides
- 22 vitamins and minerals including folic acid, DHA, ARA, and iron
- Gentle on the stomach
- Light with a slightly sweeter taste than cow’s milk
- Light, mild, taste which children find nice to drink
- High-quality goat milk
- Easy to digest
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals and fatty acids
- Doesn’t cause bloating, gas, diarrhea etc.
- You can only buy the toddler formula in the US
- Not organic certified
- Isn’t as high in folic acid as some other formulas
Parents popular opinion on Kabrita Baby Formula
The brand has hundreds of reviews and is currently rated 4.2 out of 5 stars. We read the reviews of existing customers and here’s what they have to say about Kabrita Baby Formula:
- Helped their child’s eczema, clearing it up in a few days of switching to the formula
- A fine powder that mixes well with water
- Children love the taste
- Seems to reduce bloating and stomach discomfort.
Nanny Care Baby Formula
Nanny Care is one of our favorite European brands of baby formula. Founded in New Zealand over 25 years ago, the company has a long history of producing high quality goat milk baby formula and were the first goat milk formula available in the UK.
Their formulas have been widely tested and their website says they are the only goat milk formula to have been test worldwide in randomized double-blind clinical trials, evidencing the benefits of their formula.
Their formula is available for three different stages including birth to six months, six to twelve months and twelve plus months. Each is designed to support your child’s growth and development during these key stages of their lives.
As with Kabrita, the formula contains all the vitamins and minerals naturally found in high levels in goat milk as well as essential fatty acids. Nanny Care fortifies these with additional nutrients to make sure your baby gets everything they need. Unlike Kabrita, this doesn’t include whey proteins.
List of Nanny Care Formulas on the market
- Nanny Care Stage 1 Infant Milk– From birth to 6 months
- Nanny Care Stage 2 Follow On Milk – From 6 to 12 months
- Nanny Care Stage 3 Growing Up Milk – From 12 months plus
- Made from pasture-fed goat milk raised without hormones or antibiotics
- Contains all essential minerals and vitamins
- Doesn’t contain gluten, wheat, yeast, added sucrose or corn syrup
- Easy to digest
- Light, mild, taste
- Contains natural nutrients
- Doesn’t contain artificial flavors, colors etc.
- Fortified for each stage of your child’s development
- Can be traced to the source (pasture-fed goats)
- Easy for your child to digest
- Milder taste than cow’s milk
- Affordable when compared to similar products
- Only available online, which means you need to stock up.
Parents popular opinion on Nanny Care Baby Formula
- Nanny Care is a popular brand that gets great reviews and has an average five star rating across a number of online sites. Here are what some of the people who left reviews had to say:
- Dissolves really easily and is easy to prepare.
- Settled stomach problems for babies who have struggled with cow’s milk.
- No strong smell, which you find with some other goat milk formulas.
- Reduced eczema in babies and other allergic reactions.
- Well worth the price (which most reviewers acknowledge is a little expensive, especially when you add in shipping). If you use OrganicBabyShop.com here and apply code BABYSWAG5 you can take 5% off, helping bring down the cost.
The Verdict: NannyCare or Kabrita?
Both Kabrita and Nanny Care formulas have a lot going for them, including countless reviews from parents saying that their children’s eczema, allergies, and stomach problems have significantly reduced, if not disappeared entirely. Each is made from pasture-fed goats and contains all the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients your baby needs at every stage of their development.
Unfortunately, if you want your baby to take advantage of these benefits at each stage you have to take a risk by giving them the only formula available in the US, which is designed for toddlers, or spend a lot of money ordering the formula from Europe, which can be very expensive.
Nanny Care is available for each stage of your little one’s development – from birth through 3 years of age – though even it can only be bought online, which can add to the costs. This means it’s automatically a better choice for most parents, who won’t want to take the chance or time to order formula from overseas.
Nanny Care also probably wins out when it comes to quality too. There isn’t anything wrong with the ingredients in Kabrita, it’s all good stuff. However, it does contain corn syrup and whey protein, which Nanny Care doesn’t, meaning if you are looking to keep as many artificial ingredients as possible away from your baby, Nanny Care is your best choice.
Overall: It means it’s ours too. Overall, Nanny Care offers the best value for money and the best quality when it comes to the product itself. It’s not much of a difference, but it’s enough of a one to make our decision on. That said, Kabrita recently launched their website selling directly online to US customers here. It’s a good alternative if NannyCare isn’t available.
FAQ’s about Kabrita and Nanny Care Formula
Is this product made in the USA?
No, neither Kabrita or Nanny Care are made in the United States. Both are shipped from Europe. However, Nanny Care is distributed at all stages from several online stores, including Amazon, whereas Kabrita is only available in the US as toddler formula.
Can you give Kabrita to children under 12 months old?
Kabrita is not FDA approved for children under 12 months old. Kabrita say it has all the nutrients children under 12 months need and many parents who have used the product have used it for younger children. However, this is a decision a parent would need to make in consultation with their doctor.
Do they contain corn syrup?
Nanny Care does not contain corn syrup or sucrose. Kabrita contains glucose syrup solids which hit says are needed as a carrier for the vitamins in the formula. The syrup is from European, non-GMO corn.
Is there lactose in the formula?
Yes, both contain lactose. Neither should be used for children with a milk allergy.
Final Thoughts on Kabrita vs Nanny Care
In some ways, the comparison between Kabrita and Nanny Care formulas seems like an unfair one given that not all Kabrita formulas are available for sale in the US.
Bottom Line: When you look at the ingredients for both it’s hard not to see that, even when you can get all three Kabrita stages in the US (without having to pay a fortune in shipping), you would probably still want to choose Nanny Care here (you can save 5% with code BABYSWAG5 at checkout).
The quality is just that little bit better, especially when you look at what Nanny Care doesn’t contain – specifically corn syrup or sucrose, which are better avoided in baby formula if you can help it.
- NannyCare vs Holle Formula: Which European Baby Formula is Best?
- Kabrita vs Holle Formula
- Cow’s Milk vs Goat Milk Formula Compared
- Best Non Dairy Formula Guide