Last Updated on
Determining how to pick the best baby formula for your little one can often be a challenging task. After all, there’s so much that you need to check – the ingredients, manufacturing process, certifications, safety measures, and so on. That’s exactly what we’ll help you with through this Hipp vs Aptamil comparison.
It’s hard to find a baby formula your baby loves. So, our expert new moms decided to test both the brands and help you make an informed purchase.
It can be really frustrating to learn that your baby hates the baby formula you’ve just bought. All the moms on our team have been in your shoes, and they know how difficult it can get to make babies happy.
While Aptamil is considered closest to breast milk, Hipp baby formula is all organic.
On the one hand, Aptamil baby formula is loaded with prebiotics naturally found in mother’s milk, and on the other hand, Hipp baby formula is loaded with high-quality ingredients including prebiotics.
So, the choice is not at all easy. But, we’re pretty sure that by the end of this comparison, you’ll have a clear option in mind.
Bottom Line Up Front: Higher quality organic ingredients, more varieties, and better pricing make HiPP formula our overall pick here. You can save 5% off today using code TBS5OFF at Huggable.com here.
Palm Oil, Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil, Soy Lecithin
- 1 HiPP Baby Formula
- 2 Aptamil Baby Formula
- 3 The Verdict: Aptamil or HiPP?
- 4 General baby formula buying tips
- 5 FAQ About Hipp and Aptamil Baby Formulas
- 6 Conclusion: So Is it Hipp or Aptamil?
When it comes to baby formulas, Hipp is one of the top players in the baby food space. The brand was established in 1899 and has since then continued to make a place for itself in the list of top baby formula on the market.
The roots of the brand are present in Germany and it’s well known for providing 100% safe and organic baby formula.
With more 260 products on the market, Hipp is continuously upscaling their product line while taking care of the environment and reducing their carbon footprint. Most of the Hipp baby formulas are available online.
Hipp baby formula is suitable for newborn infants and up to 1-year old babies. You can introduce Hipp baby formula as soon as your baby is born. If you don’t want to feed your baby only baby formula, you can do a combination of both – breast milk and Hipp baby formula.
Hipp baby formula is all organic and contains essential Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids along with other nutrients that are must for the baby’s healthy growth and development. The product is authentic skim milk produced from cows that are reared organically, fed fresh organic grass, grass clover silage, and clover pasture.
The organic ingredients present in Hipp baby formula make it more appealing than other U.S. based baby formulas that contain non-organic, un-certified ingredients derived from genetically modified sources that have been banned in Europe.
Top-rated Hipp baby formulas
- Hipp Combiotic First Infant Milk (Stage 1 and 2)
- Hipp Combiotic Follow-on Milk (Stage 1 and 2)
- Hipp Anti-Reflux Baby Formula
- Hipp Stage 3 Combiotic Growing Up Baby Milk
- Hipp Combiotic Hungry Infant Milk
- Hipp Good Night Milk
Features of HiPP Formula
- Made in Germany
- Certified All Organic by the European Union
- Packed in a protective environment
- Contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D for boosting the immune system
- Contain other essential minerals and vitamins for the healthy growth and development of your baby
- Contains Iron for proper cognitive development
- Contains polyunsaturated Omega-3 and Omega-6
- Contains PRAEBIOTIK dietary fibers which are found in breast milk for a healthy gut
- Suitable for babies of all ages
- Contains only natural lactose as a carbohydrate and sugar
- Where to Buy: You can check out the HiPP selection at Huggable.com here (use code TBS5OFF for 5% off) and OrganicBabyShop.com (use code BABYSWAG5 for 5% off), comparing prices for the best option. MyOrganicCompany.store has ALSO generously offered readers 10% off their order with code THEBABYSWAG at checkout. Mix and match between these 3 providers to find the best prices, selection and discounts.
Pros of HiPP
- The baby formula is gentler on the baby’s stomach than other baby formulas on the market.
- The baby formula does not cause gas, constipation, or bloating.
- It’s a good substitute for breastmilk.
- The baby formula comes with only lactose as a sweetener.
Cons of HiPP
- The baby formula can only be bought online.
- The baby formula is not suitable for babies with lactose intolerance.
- The baby formula contains palm oil that some parents don’t prefer.
What parents are saying about Hipp baby formula
Different Hipp baby formulas have been rated 5 stars by many existing customers and here’s what they had to say about their experience with the brand:
- Babies are simply loving the taste of Hipp baby formulas.
- Most parents have mentioned that constipation and gas issues faced by their babies are long gone ever since they started using Hipp baby formula.
- Almost all parents agree that Hipp is better than all U.S. baby formulas.
- Parents are very happy with the speedy delivery and packaging of Hipp products.
- Babies can instantly sense the difference between Hipp baby formulas and other baby formulas on the market. Many parents have mentioned that their babies start spitting up as soon as they feed a baby formula other than Hipp.
Aptamil Baby Formula
After almost 30 years of research and studies on breast milk, over 250 scientists from various universities and research centers have concluded that Aptamil is one brand that provides baby formulas loaded with essential nutrients.
Aptamil baby formulas are manufactured using Pronutra, a unique combination of vital ingredients for the healthy growth and development of your infant during the initial few months after birth. The baby formula is loaded with a powerful combination of prebiotics – Galacto-oligosaccharide and Fructo-oligosaccharide. Almost all Aptamil baby formulas are suitable for babies right after birth and until they turn 1-year old. You’ll also find Aptamil Stage 3 baby formula for babies up to 24 months in age.
All Aptamil baby formulas come with a GOS/FOS prebiotic oligosaccharides and all the vital nutrients your baby would require. If you’re looking for a baby formula closest to breast milk, it has to be Aptamil. Not only is the brand supported by science, but it also tastes and looks just like breast milk. However, Aptamil is not an organic baby formula.
Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before preparing Aptamil baby formula. To prepare the mix, boil drinking water for at least 5 minutes and allow it to become lukewarm. Using the feeding table included in the product package, add scoops of Aptamil baby formula to lukewarm water in a bowl. Use only the scoop provided with the baby formula. Keep stirring until the powder dissolves completely.
Unsterilized bowl, unboiled water, or incorrect quantity of baby formula can lead to digestion issues. Also, use the feed immediately after it is prepared. Don’t make way for bacteria by storing the preparation at room temperature.
Top-rated Aptamil baby formulas
- Aptamil Profutura First Infant Milk
- Aptamil Hungry Infant Milk
- Aptamil Comfort
- Aptamil Anti-Reflux
- Aptamil Lactose Intolerance
- Aptamil Cow’s Milk Allergy
- Aptamil Follow-on Stage 2 from 6 to 12 months
- Aptamil Follow-on Stage 3 from 12-24 months
Features of Aptamil baby formula
- Closest to breast milk in terms of taste and texture
- Contains a unique blend of essential prebiotics for maintaining the baby’s gut health
- Aids physical growth and development
- Supports vision and brain development
- Essential Vitamins, Nucleotides, Zinc, Selenium, and Beta Carotene boost the immune system
- Contains only lactose as a natural sweetener
- Innovative and intuitive packaging such as ready to feed bottle packaging and tamper-proof locking system packaging
- Available in three stages – Infant> 6 to 12 months> 12 to 24 months
Pros of Aptamil
- The baby formula is a perfect substitute for breast milk as it is closest to breast milk when it comes to taste and texture.
- The baby formula is suitable for newborn babies.
- Follow-on variants of the baby formula are suitable for babies up t0 12 months and 24 months in age.
- The baby formula contains a unique blend of prebiotics and nutrients that provide multiple health and development benefits right after birth.
Cons of Aptamil
- The baby formula is not organic.
- The baby formula is less gentle on the baby’s stomach as compared to Hipp.
- The baby formula is expensive than many other baby formulas on the market with high ratings and good customer reviews.
- The baby formula is not suitable for vegetarians or vegans.
What parents are saying about Aptamil baby formula
Aptamil baby formulas have mixed reviews. While some parents are really happy with the taste and texture of the product, the product is receiving backlash from others. Let’s look at what parents are saying about Aptamil baby formulas:
- Some new moms have mentioned that it has been a smooth switch from breast milk to Aptamil baby formula. All thanks to its taste and texture that resembles breast milk closely.
- Many parents have mentioned that they’re baby developed reflux issues after consuming Aptamil baby formula.
- Some parents have also mentioned that Aptamil baby formula gave their baby severe cramps and long-lasting colic pain.
- Many hospitals are using Aptamil baby formula. So, new moms are trying Aptamil before they try any other baby formula brand on the market.
The Verdict: Aptamil or HiPP?
These days, almost all parents prefer organic baby formula as they are safe, environmentally sound, and produced from cows fed with high-quality grass and pastures.
As you’ve seen in the Hipp vs Aptamil comparison above, Hipp is an organic baby formula, and Aptamil is not. So, it’s been pretty easy to pick one from the two options here: Hipp baby formula.
Like Aptamil, Hipp also comes with GOS/FOS prebiotics. However, the best thing about Hipp baby formulas is that they’re all organic and gentler on the baby’s stomach. Our expert moms and dads read through hundreds of existing reviews, and unlike Aptamil, they could hardly find any gas, constipation, reflux, or vomiting related issues with Hipp baby formulas.
So, in the end, the choice is all yours. You’re the best judge for your baby. Nevertheless, we would say that Hipp baby formula would be an ideal pick.
General baby formula buying tips
Here are some general buying tips that can help you pick the best baby formula for your little one:
Don’t buy any baby formula before birth
Yes, that’s correct. It would be a bad idea to stock up baby formulas even before your baby is born. Your baby may be able to adjust to only one formula, and it’ll take you some time to find out the best option. So, we recommend you consult the pediatrician soon after the baby is born and then buy baby formula. No matter what brand you plan to buy in advance, if your newborn shows signs of constipation, gas, or reflux, you’ll have to dispose of the entire lot.
Use powder as much as possible
Powdered formulas are easy on the pocket as well as your baby’s stomach. Liquid-based formulas are expensive and a bit difficult to digest.
Carefully check the “use by” date
When buying baby formula, make sure you check the “use by” date to check the shelf-life of the product. The baby formula begins losing its nutritional value after the “use by” date.
If your baby is happy with one baby formula and not showing any signs of allergies, gas, bloating, or constipation, stick to the brand and don’t experiment unnecessarily.
FAQ About Hipp and Aptamil Baby Formulas
Don’t skip these important FAQs!
How do you prepare Hipp baby formula?
It’s pretty easy to prepare Hipp baby formula. Add one ounce of Hipp baby formula for every ounce of water. Always partially fill the feeding bottle with water and then add the baby formula. Also, make sure you don’t add more baby formula than required as it can lead to constipation and other digestive issues.
Can I mix Hipp and Aptamil baby formulas?
No, not at all. It’s not a good idea to mix any two baby formula brands. In this case, Hipp is organic, and Aptamil is not, so the resulting mixture can harm your baby.
Is Aptamil lactose-free?
Almost all Aptamil baby formulas contain lactose. However, there’s a special lactose-free variant for babies with lactose intolerance.
Has Aptamil baby formula changed?
Some parents have mentioned that Aptamil has changed something in the baby formula that’s making their babies ill. However, the brand begs to differ.
How long does Aptamil formula last?
For hygiene reasons, we recommend using Aptamil baby formula within 2 hours of preparation.
Conclusion: So Is it Hipp or Aptamil?
Now that you’ve gone through the complete Hipp vs Aptamil comparison, we’re hoping you have a clearer idea about which brand to choose for your baby. We hope this in-depth comparison helped and you found it useful.
Bottom Line: Hipp is clearly our first choice here. However, if you’re still confused, we recommend you get in touch with a pediatrician for more assistance, especially if your baby is allergic to ingredients in baby formulas or is suffering from severe constipation, gas, or bloating. Remember, if you buy here and use code TBS5OFF you can save 5% off of your entire order (great for bulk orders), OR order from OrganicBabyShop and use code BABYSWAG5 to take 5% off (good for smaller orders, too).
If you have any questions about the products listed in the guide, please feel free to post your queries in the comment section below. We’ve tried to cover all the frequently asked questions about both the brands in the previous section.
Nevertheless, if we’ve missed something important, our expert moms are here to help you!
- One IS Better: Hipp vs Holle Organic Formulas Compared
- NannyCare vs. Holle Formula: Which European Baby Formula is Best?
- HiPP vs Baby’s Only Formula
- HiPP versus Lebenswert Organic Formula
- Latest Baby Formula Recalls to Watch