Last Updated on
Even if you aren’t a parent, you know how high up on the baby car seat food chain the Graco brand is. So when you are trying to figure out the main differences between the Graco SlimFit and Graco 4Ever, it can get a little tricky.
They are both convertible car seats that offer longevity, safety, and comfort for your little one, but as with any car seats, you have to expect that there are some differences that are hard to ignore. The SlimFit, for example, is a 3-in-1, while the 4Ever is a 4-in-1 car seat. It may not seem like the biggest difference, but when you have a car seat that can last a little while longer than the other, the benefit is clear.
But with a little more longevity comes a more expensive price tag, so naturally, the 4Ever is a little more costly than the SlimFit. And the SlimFit is also a little more lightweight. It may be just a few pounds lighter, but if you are moving the car seat between cars, that can be a big difference for some parents. They both, however, have the InRight LATCH system for easy installation and as Graco car seats, that is definitely a share benefit you can’t ignore.
At first glance, the car seats probably seem like virtually the same thing, but there is a reason they need to be compared by some parents to find the main differences. Both options are fine for any infant as they grow and eventually transition to the toddler stage and beyond, but at the end of the day, you are going to have to look at them both as closely as possible to figure out which option is best. So before you run out and buy one without doing a little research, there’s no time like the present to examine them both.
Main Differences Between Graco SlimFit vs. Graco 4Ever
- Backless Booster: Once your child grows out of the high-back booster mode, they can use the Graco 4Ever as a backless booster car seat. The Graco SlimFit does not offer this.
- Price: On Amazon, the 4Ever costs almost $100 more than the SlimFit.
- Weight: The SlimFit weighs less than 20 pounds, while the 4Ever is around 25.
- Use: The 4Ever can be safely used from four pounds, however, while the SlimFit is designed for babies from five pounds and up.
Graco SlimFit Car Seat
The Graco SlimFit Car Seat might not be the only car seat option your child will need, but it does offer three different stages to grow with your little one. It transitions from a rear-facing to forward-facing car seat and can eventually be used as a backless booster car seat for your toddler and older child.
It has four recline positions to keep your child safe and comfortable and allow you to install the car seat at the correct angle. It also has the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System so you can adjust the harness and headrest at the same time. This can make adjustments so much easier as your child grows. And to install it, you can benefit from the Graco InRight LATCH system to make it a little less of a hassle.
For your child’s comfort, the car seat is equipped with a plush padding that will also keep younger and smaller babies safe while providing a comfortable ride with breathable cushion. It even has two collapsible cup holders, so your child can use them when they need to, but you won’t have to worry about them taking up any additional space in your back seat. Speaking of which, the SlimFit is a bit slimmer in design than some other similar car seats, so it may be easier to fit multiple SlimFit car seats in your back seat at once.
- Safety: It has been tested to meet or exceed all federal safety standards and it’s made with EPS energy-absorbing foam to keep your child safe in the event of a car crash.
- Child Weight Range: The car seat is for babies from 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position, 22-65 in forward-facing, and up to 100 pounds as a high-back booster car seat.
- Price: On Amazon, the Graco SlimFit Car Seat is $180.
- Where To Buy: You can find the car seat on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the Graco SlimFit Car Seat.
- Because it’s a slimmer car seat, it’s perfect for smaller more compact cars.
- There is ample cushion in the seat, which is especially important for long car rides.
- It’s also a fairly lightweight car seat, especially as a 3-in-1 option.
- The sliding headrest makes it easy to make adjustments as your child grows and develops.
- The padding is removable and machine washable.
- It has less recline options than the Graco 4Ever.
- Although the LATCH system makes installation extra secure, it can be difficult to properly tighten at first.
- Some parents might prefer if the car seat leaned back further when in the forward-facing position.
“This is an amazing car seat. If you are looking at this seat vs. the Graco 4Ever, save your cash and go with this seat. It’s comfortable, a breeze to install, and it is slim fitting as described. It is also considerably cheaper than the 4Ever… Using this side by side with a 4Ever and I honestly can’t believe I spent that much money when this seat does everything and more!” – Kristie H. on Amazon.
“I did a lot of research for safety, ease of use, ease of cleaning, etc. This car seat hit all the marks for me in my research… and I certainly wasn’t disappointed! I have five kids and I’ve been through a lot of different car seats. This one is my favorite so far. Took me literally one minute to secure to the car, another minute to adjust to the size of my child, and less than a minute to fall in love and pat myself on the back for a well-researched purchase. You won’t be disappointed. It’s sturdy and a perfect size.” – Jennifer F. on Amazon.
Graco 4Ever Car Seat
Just like the name suggests, the Graco 4Ever Car Seat is the car seat your child can use forever. Or, in other words, the only car seat he or she will ever need until they grow out of it altogether. It starts off as a rear-facing car seat for your newborn and transitions to a forward-facing one. Then, you can use it as a high-back booster and, eventually, a backless booster car seat. It has tons of cushion for your infant and, eventually, your toddler, as he or she grows.
There is a lot of comfort there, but also safety and the car seat includes everything your child needs to be safe and comfortable at all times. It has six different recline positions to keep your child in the right position for his or her weight and there are even two built-in cup holders for your child’s convenience.
Like the SlimFit, the 4Ever has Graco’s LATCH system to make installation a little easier and more secure. But if that’s not something you find easy to work with, you can still install the car seat using your car’s seat belt. Either way, you can get a safe and secure installation with the Graco 4Ever.
- Safety: It has been made to meet or exceed all federal safety standards and has a steel-reinforced frame.
- Child Weight Range: In rear-facing, the car seat is designed for babies from 4-40 pounds, 22-65 in forward-facing, 30-100 in a high-back booster, and 40-120 in the backless booster setting.
- Price: On Amazon, the Graco 4Ever Car Seat is $270.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturers’ website and on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby and Target.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the Graco 4Ever Car Seat.
- With so many recline options, proper installation is fairly easy with this car seat.
- It has a 10-year expiration, so your child really can use it for as long as they need a car seat or booster car seat.
- The padding is removable and washable for your convenience.
- There is a lot of height in the headrest so it can properly grow with your child.
- The 4Ever is pricier than some other similar car seats, including the SlimFit.
- The head cushion may not provide enough support to prevent your baby’s head from slumping forward.
- The Graco “warning” labels on the car seat can get hot when the car seat is in the sun for long periods of time.
“We have had this car seat for almost a year now. I bought it when my son was almost six months old. He was riding around in his Chicco KeyFit 30 and we thought he would enjoy a comfier car seat. I’m so glad we picked this car seat. He is now almost 18 months old and this has held up beautifully as far as wear and tear goes on the upholstery… He never has once fussed about it being uncomfortable. I think the best part is knowing that I won’t ever have to buy him another car seat ever again.” – Jade Molina on Amazon.
“We are foster parents to two small toddlers. We bought these car seats last summer, and they still look brand new (minus the food crumbs that we constantly have to vacuum out lol). We decided on these seats because we wanted something that will be appropriate for all ages (for when we get different ages of children) as well as we wanted a seat that would be of quality where they will last a long time, the straps don’t tangle, and the cover after washing goes back on easily.” – Jennifer McCann on Amazon.
Although both car seats are fine options to grow with your child, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. The Graco 4Ever might be more costly than the Graco SlimFit, but that’s because your child will be able to get more use out of it for longer.
It can be the only car seat you will ever need and that’s a huge deal for any family. Your little one won’t have to get used to another car seat or booster somewhere down the line and you won’t have to purchase a backless booster seat eventually. Not only that, but the 4Ever offers plenty of safety for your little one as he or she grows and installation is relatively simple. The SlimFit might be a tad more lightweight and slimmer in design, but you really can’t ignore everything that the 4Ever offers.
Choosing the right car seat for your baby can be a daunting task. You don’t want to potentially go with the wrong option that eventually leads you to purchase a new car seat somewhere down the line anyway. It’s always a fine line between finding a safe, reliable, and long-lasting car seat and one that is also affordable and durable enough to hold up over the years you will use it.
In this case, the Graco 4Ever Car Seat offers all of that and more. You can rarely go wrong with the Graco brand itself, and when looking at the main differences between the Graco SlimFit and the Graco 4Ever, the latter is going to be the stronger option for most families.
- The Graco Affix vs Chicco KidFit – Which Should You Buy?
- Graco 4Ever vs. Graco Extend2Fit: The Ultimate Graco Battle!
- Graco AffixNew Youth Booster Seat With Latch System Review
- Car Seat | Graco Milestone Review
- Graco 4Ever Car Seat: Yay or Nay? Find out here!
- The Graco Extend2Fit Review: All You Need to Know