Sometimes, parents are lucky enough to find everything they need in one car seat that changes every step of your child’s development to keep him or her secure until they no longer need a car seat at all. The Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat might not be all of that exactly, but it does provide a safe and reliable ride for your child from the time they’re born all the way through toddlerhood. It isn’t the only car seat you’ll ever need, but it will grow with your child until they are ready for a high-back booster car seat and that’s still a big deal.
The car seat starts out in the rear-facing position but can be transitioned to forward-facing once your child is developmentally ready. And to continue accommodating your growing child, the headrest raises to nine different positions. This can help keep your little one’s head and neck supported every step of the way and avoid the common head slump that babies often deal with while sleeping in their car seats. The car seat is equipped with the SuperCinch LATCH tightener to make installation simple and secure and there is ample side impact protection to keep your little one safe and snug in the event of a crash.
As far as other special features go, the NextFit Zip has one cup holder that folds in so you can more easily fit the car seat in the back of most cars. And it’s dishwasher safe, which can be a Godsend for some parents. Speaking of which, the seat pad can be zipped off with ease and machine washed. So basically, keeping your child’s convertible car seat clean and crumb-free has never been so easy. You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby. On Amazon, the Chicco NextFit Zip is $300.
- 1 Features
- 2 Pros and Cons
- 3 Has This Item Been Recalled?
- 4 Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat
- 5 Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
- 6 Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- 7 Cosco Comfy Convertible Car Seat
- 8 Final Thoughts
- The car seat is designed for babies from 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position and 22-65 pounds in the forward-facing position.
- It’s made with DuoGuard side impact protection for your baby’s safety.
- There’s a one-pull harness tightener to make adjusting your child’s harness easier.
- It comes with a removable newborn cushion insert to keep your infant safe and secure.
Pros and Cons
- It can take mere seconds to install the car seat.
- There are multiple layers of reinforced side impact protection for your baby’s safety.
- It’s easy to clean every part of the car seat since the cup holder is dishwasher safe and the fabric liner is machine washable.
- Although the car seat is on the heavier side, that just means that it’s sturdier than some other similar car seats.
- It might be a little pricey for some families.
- Although it’s a convertible car seat, your child will eventually need a high-back booster car seat.
- The car seat itself is on the heavier side, so it can be difficult to move from car to car.
- It could also be a little slimmer, so it may be hard to fit multiple NextFit Zips in some back seats.
Has This Item Been Recalled?
There are no recent or current recalls on the Chicco NextFit Zip Car Seat.
How Others Compare
Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat
Like the Chicco NextFit Zip, the Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat is designed for children up to 65 pounds. But it also has a four position extension panel on the front to provide up to five inches of additional legroom. This can keep your little one safe and comfortable as they grow and it’s a little perk of this particular car seat that you won’t find with many others. The car seat also has a six position recline and 10 different headrest positions to go through as your child grows.
Overall, the Extend2Fit is pretty adjustable, which is so important when you have a car seat you want to grow with your child from infancy through toddlerhood. It’s made with a steel reinforced frame to keep your child safe and it has been side-impact tested to meet or exceed all federal safety standards. Plus, installation can be a breeze with Graco’s one-second InRight LATCH system. You can find the car seat on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Target and Buy Buy Baby. (Check it on Amazon!)
- For a convertible car seat, the Extend2Fit is cost friendly for a lot of families.
- Four of the six recline positions can be done when the car seat is in rear-facing mode.
- Installation can take just a few seconds no matter what car you have.
- The extended footrest can help keep your child in rear-facing for longer if needed.
- It can be a little difficult to properly tighten the straps every time.
- The car seat is also on the bulkier side, which may not be ideal for smaller cars.
- The warning label on the car seat can get a little hot and its placement near where your child’s back sits makes for poor placement.
Has This Item Been Recalled?
There was a 2015 recall on some Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seats.
Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
The Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat is another convertible option similar to the Chicco NextFit Zip. It transitions from rear to forward-facing once your child is ready and it can be used for literal years. It’s made with a five-point slide harness to make securing your baby nearly effortless. Plus, it has side tension rods for one-handed harness tightening when needed. It’s also made with three layers of side impact protection, which is a lot to consider when looking at its safety features. If you need to travel with this car seat, it meets all aircraft requirements, so you can even take it on family travels if you need to.
You can remove the headrest pillow when your child no longer needs it and the headrest itself is adjustable to accommodate your little one as he or she grows. There are multiple recline positions to choose from for your little one and you can adjust the recline from the front of the car seat so you can even do it while your child sleeps in the car seat. It’s made for children from 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position and 22-65 pounds in the front-facing option. You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon. (Check it on Amazon!)
- The car seat is fairly affordable for a lot of families.
- You can take the fabric off for cleaning without needing to remove the straps first.
- There are different recline options to keep your little one safe and comfortable in the rear or forward-facing positions.
- It has a lot of padding and cushion to keep your child comfortable on long car rides.
- It can be tricky to adjust the shoulder straps.
- It is on the heavier and bulkier side compared to some other similar convertible car seats.
- Some parent might find that the recline doesn’t go back far enough for smaller babies when the car seat is in the rear-facing position.
Has This Item Been Recalled?
There are no recent or current recalls on the Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat.
Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
One of the best things about the Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat is its installation. Unlike other car seats that force you to resort to Latch installation methods, this one makes it as simple as clocking a seatbelt after lifting up the bottom part of the car seat. But besides being made with your convenience in mind, the car seat is also made with plenty of safety features for your growing child. It has multiple layers of side impact protection and is made with a steel frame and impact absorbing base.
There are also multiple recline positions for safety and comfort and 14 different headrest positions to keep your child’s head comfortable and supported as he or she grows. It also has a quick adjust harness and transitions from rear to forward-facing as your child grows. And although it isn’t the only car seat your child will ever need, it is a sturdy, safe, and easy to use a car seat that will last your child years before they officially grow out of it. It’s suitable for children from 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position and 20-65 in forward-facing. (Check it on Amazon!)
- The installation for this car seat is unique and easy to work within any car.
- It has multiple safety reinforcements to keep your child safe in both rear and forward-facing positions.
- The straps and buckle are easy to use and fasten every time and aren’t very hard to loosen or unbuckle as is the case with some other car seats.
- The fabric is soft and breathable.
- It might be a little pricey for some families, especially since it isn’t an all-in-one car seat.
- It’s also on the heavier side, so moving the car seat can be difficult.
- The buckle between the legs is a little short, so it might be uncomfortable for some babies.
Has This Item Been Recalled?
There was a 2015 recall on ClickTight Convertible harness adjuster buttons.
Cosco Comfy Convertible Car Seat
The Cosco Comfy Convertible Car Seat is another car eat comparable to the Chicco NextFit Zip and for good reason. It too can transition from rear to forward-facing when your child is ready, but it does cap out at 50 pounds for little ones. It is, however, LATCH equipped and airplane ready. So whether you want to securely install it in your car or use it on an airplane for family trips, the Cosco Comfy Convertible Car Seat is plenty user-friendly.
It has a five-point safety harness with an easy up-front adjustment so you don’t have to bend over backward to get your child snug and secure. Plus, it has two built-in cup holders and although they don’t move or come off, they don’t jut out far on either side, so they don’t take up additional space in your back seat. And while the car seat is reinforced with impact protection, it also has plush and comfortable padding. It is made for babies from 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position and 22-50 pounds in the forward-facing position. (Check it on Amazon!)
- It’s quite affordable for a convertible car seat, especially when compared to other similar options.
- It’s lightweight and easy to carry through the airport if needed.
- The cover can come off and is machine washable.
- Adjusting the straps on the back of the car seat as your child grows is fairly easy to do.
- Even though it’s lightweight, the car seat is also fairly bulky.
- Your baby might not have enough room for their legs when the car seat is in the rear-facing position.
- Once your child gets a little bigger, the buckle might get a little too tight.
Has This Item Been Recalled?
There are no recent or current recalls on the Cosco Comfy Convertible Car Seat.
The Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat might not be the only car seat you will ever need, but it will provide years of use for your little one. Not only that, but it is comfortable and safe enough to keep them feeling snug and secure every step of the way. Of course, there are some comparable car seats that might be similar enough to the NextFit Zip, but nothing quite compares to all that it offers. If you are looking for a convertible car seat that will take your child from the newborn stage all the way to the point where they are ready for a high-back booster car seat, then the Chicco NextFit Zip is definitely the right one for your family.
- The Best Travel Car Seats for 2019 That Every Parent Needs
- Top 5 Best Convertible Car Seats – Convertible Car Seat Buying Guide