Even though there are plenty of car seats out there that are designed specifically for babies, why not also have a car seat that’s made for the toddler years and up? Take the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat for example.
Both car seats are meant to be with your child from ages two and up and who are at least 25 pounds, so they can’t be used for your infant, but they can be used once your toddler is ready and until your child no longer needs a car seat or booster seat at all. That’s where the beauty lays with both of these car seats, but, as to be expected, there are some qualities that one has, and the other does not, which is why it’s important to look at them each from all sides.
Bottom Line Up Front: If you are in a rush, here’s my high level opinion. I strongly lean towards going with the Britax Frontier here as it is rated for an extra 20 pounds and is MUCH easier to install.
While both car seats offer the ability to use from 25 pounds and up, the booster mode of the Britax Frontier allows you to use it until your child has reached 120 pounds, whereas the Chicco MyFit taps out at 100 pounds.
It might not be such a huge difference, but in some cases, the extra weight capacity does make a difference. Then again, the Chicco MyFit seems to have overall better straps and belts which don’t get stuck or slow down over time like those of the Nritaz will sometimes do after a while.
If the price is the biggest deciding factor for you, that won’t help in this instance!
Both car seats are similar enough in cost that it doesn’t make much of a difference, and they both offer superior safety and double padding built into the car seats. But for the most part, you should be able to choose which one works better for you and your little one, which is why it’s important to look at all of the most important aspects of the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat vs Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat.
- 1 Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat
- 2 Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- 3 The Verdict: MyFit vs Frontier Clicktight?
- 4 Final Thoughts: Britax or Chicco?
Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat
Since the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat is meant to fit your growing child and adhere to the specifics of their height and comfort, there are plenty of ways to really personalize the fit as your child grows.
There are four different possible options to put it in the reclining position as well as nine different headrest heights. This means that even taller toddlers won’t have to worry about trying to stay comfortable with a head slumped over on long car rides. The padded five-point harness belt can be adjusted with just one hand for your convenience, and it’s acceptable for children from 25-65 pounds, which is also convenient and safe.
Then, when it’s time to transition to booster mode, your child can use the actual seat belt in addition to the car seat. And just in case you need help in positioning the seat right, there are bubble level indicators on the side of the car seat to help you along the way.
Features of the MyFit
- Installation: The Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat has a LockSure belt tightening system, which allows you to use your car’s seat belt to secure the car seat in the back seat without allowing any room for it to move or shift once the car seat is installed.
- Safety: In addition to the shell which has energy-absorbing steel, there are also areas for side impact protection for your child’s torso and head.
- Weight Limit: In harness mode, the car seat is meant for toddlers from 25-65 pounds, and when put in booster mode, children from 40-100 pounds can use it.
- Price: On Amazon, the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat is $200. Check out the latest prices[/easyazon_link]
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and [easyazon_link identifier="B078T5N4Y4" locale="US" tag="thebabyswag-20"]on Amazon here or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- Because of the slight tilt to the seat, your child won’t have to deal with his or her head hanging or slumping forward if they fall asleep.
- Thanks to the seat belt installation, the process is fast and easy in most cases, which is especially useful if you need to move the car seat in and out of different cars.
- The one-handed harness adjustment makes things a lot easier when your toddler is growing but still needs to use the five-point harness straps.
- There are so many safety features and reinforcements to keep your toddler safe and help give you peace of mind.
- The car seat is heavy and can be bulky, especially if you need to put more than one across your backseat.
- The actual buckle reaches higher than typical, and it can be uncomfortable for your child.
- Some parents might not love the idea of the two cup holders jutting out from either side of the car seat.
Chicco MyFit Reviews
“This is a great car seat!! It’s sturdy and very comfortable for my 2 1/2-year-old son. It is super easy to install and has a secure fit. The harness straps are wonderfully made with plenty of room to grow. My last car seat (not Chicco) started pinching my son in the thigh area, which became very uncomfortable for him. He loves his new car seat!” – Kimberly Brubaker on Amazon.
“It is strongly recommended by physicians that have studied the impact of children in car seats/accidents, and it is recommended that kids stay in the 5 point harness for as long as possible. I like this seat as it gives us that option as well as when he gets bigger just to use the seatbelt. I strongly recommend this brand and this car seat!” – Heather K. on Amazon.
“Excellent car seat for my 3.5-year-old! I have a tall but tiny one who wants to “do it herself,” so that’s what prompted my move from the Nextfit to the Myfit. She feels like she’s in a big girl seat with all the comforts of a booster seat, but with all the safety of Chicco and a five-point harness. I love that this will be the last seat she ever needs.” – Klamp on Amazon.
Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
Like the Chicco MyFit, the Britax G1.1 Frontier Clicktight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat is designed to be the last car seat your child will need once they get to the age and weight requirement needed.
However, with this one, your child can be up to 120 pounds and still get use out of it, which adds to the safety it provides and of course its longevity. Because so many children are built differently and grow at different rates, it’s important that a car seat such as this one goes a little above and beyond what your standard 2-in-1 booster car seat will offer.
It also offers protection in the form of a steel frame and energy absorbing base, as well as two layers of side impact protection to keep your toddler safe in the event of a car accident. As your child grows, he or she will require adjustments to the Britax Frontier ClickTight and luckily, those adjustments can be made quickly. The headrest can be moved up to nine different positions, and there are even multiple recline positions to keep your child comfortable and secure at all times.
Features of the Britax Frontier
- Installation: The ClickTight Installation System means that all you have to do to install the car seat is lift up the front and thread your car’s seat belt through it, click it into place, and close the seat again.
- Safety: The steel frame and energy absorbing base help keep your toddler safe, and the double side impact protection just adds to that.
- Weight Limit: You can use it as a harness seat for kids from 25-90 pounds and then as a belt-positioning booster seat from 40-120 pounds.
- Price: On Amazon, the Britax G1.1 Frontier Clicktight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat is $230. Check out the latest prices
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon here or in-store at Walmart and Target.
- The multiple safety features and overall peace of mind are a big part of the car seat as a whole.
- With the ClickTight Installation System, it’s relatively quick and easy to install the car seat, even for parents who are more inexperienced than others.
- Thanks to the incline options, your toddler can sleep in their car seat without the discomfort that the head slump brings.
- Since you can use it from 25 pounds all the way up to 120, you won’t need any other car seat for your toddler with this one.
- The seat itself isn’t very comfortable or well padded, so it might not be suitable for your child on longer car rides.
- The side impact cushions tend to move around in place and make noise, which can be annoying while driving.
- It’s very heavy for a car seat, so moving it in and out of your car or to another car can be a hassle and, at times, difficult.
Britax Frontier Reviews
“I absolutely love this car seat. So much so, I bought a second one for a spare to use for whoever needs to pick my son up if I’m not able. I bought a few cheap car seats and just didn’t feel it was installed properly. This car seat has spoiled my husband and I to the ease of use, and knowledge that out son is beyond safe in this seat.” – Katrina Berry-Johnson on Amazon.
“This is our second Britax car seat. I had my first through my two kids as babies actually and it was so strong and sturdy I always felt safe putting my kids in it. I was in the market for a booster and immediately started doing the research I always do for safety. This rated very high on all the sites I looked at so I purchased it. Other reviewers on here complain about the comfort, but I felt it was highly padded as far as boosters go and very sturdy material.” – Tiffany S. on Amazon.
“A great choice for the next step seat. My daughter was getting too big for the Britax seat she had been in since she left the baby carrier car seat. Her legs were just getting too long. This seat puts her at a much better angle, and she can even get buckled herself. I expect to be using this seat until she is completely out of the booster.” – Megan Sebastian on Amazon.
The Verdict: MyFit vs Frontier Clicktight?
At their core, there aren’t too many fundamental differences between the Chicco MyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat. In fact, the biggest differences lay within their respective costs, installation, and weight limit.
Bottom Line: That being said, it looks like the stronger option of the two is going to be the Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster.
Yes, it’s more expensive than the Chicco option here, but it also offers longer life for your child to get use out of it and the installation system really can’t be beaten. Yes, installing the Chicco MyFit also provides security and safety to your child, but it may be easier for parents and caregivers to install the Britax Frontier ClickTight. Plus, it has multiple safety features and reinforcements to legitimately keep your toddler safe while giving you peace of mind.
Final Thoughts: Britax or Chicco?
Even if you’re more accustomed to using Chicco car seats and therefore weary of other brands, it’s definitely worth the extra cost to invest in and try out the Britax Frontier ClickTight car seat in this instance.
As with any baby or toddler product, there is the chance that you or your child won’t like it, but there’s also a good chance that it will be the perfect solution to your growing toddler who isn’t quite ready for that car seat booster, but will be in time. And when it comes down to it, having a car seat for your toddler that will last throughout the rest of their car seat and booster car seat days is a wonderful thing and helps take a lot of stress off you of finding yet another one down the road.
You can also check out our other guides and comparisons if you are still undecided:
- Chicco NextFit vs Britax Marathon
- Britax Pioneer vs Frontier
- Britax Boulevard vs Marathon
- Best All-in-One Car Seats