- Hello Bello vs Dyper: Which Is the Better Disposable Diaper? - June 5, 2022
- Hello Bello vs Coterie - June 5, 2022
- Enfamil vs Similac : Is Similac or Enfamil Best? - May 26, 2022
When it comes to natural products for skincare, hair care, and cosmetics, Burt’s Bees is no stranger to many perusing the aisle. Founded in 1984, Burt’s Bees is known for responsibly sourcing natural organic ingredients and bringing high quality to consumers without animal testing. They have also long been committed to using recycled plastics for packaging and are Carbon Neutral Certified.
And while many think of chapsticks and shampoo when it comes to Burt’s Bees, the company is now venturing into the world of baby care. On a mission to provide the highest nutrition for growing infants, three different Organic Baby Formulas were engineered with the highest quality ingredients.
For moms, selecting a baby formula can certainly be daunting. With so many ingredients to watch out for, or to prioritize for your baby’s optimal health, there are a lot of things to consider.
Also, given that the first 1000 days of a newborn’s life are critical to overall development, it is especially important to feel confident in the formulas you are feeding your baby. With three differently formulated formulas, Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas can help minimize the stress of trying to find the right one.
- 1 What’s the Buzz with Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas?
- 2 The 3 Types of Burt’s Bees Baby Formulas:
- 3 Other Alternatives to Consider
- 4 Bobbie Organic Baby Formula
- 5 Earth’s Best Organic Baby Formula
- 6 Loulouka Baby Formula
- 7 FAQs
- 8 Burt’s Bees Organic Formula Review: Final Thoughts
What’s the Buzz with Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas?
After a 2017 report from the Clean Label Project exposed that 80 percent of baby formulas contained arsenic and 60 percent of baby formula products claiming to be BPA-free actually tested otherwise, the market exploded with baby formulas attempting to reverse this norm.
Burt’s Bees Organic Formulas are made from happy dairy cows fed a 100 percent organic grass diet and provided ample space to move with access to the outdoors.
The website boasts that in addition to being Non-GMO and USDA Certified Organic, all formulas are also free of added hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, and genetic engineering. Even more, the formulas have been certified by the Orthodox Union making them consumable by all those who observe kosher dietary laws.
Following suit with FDA regulations, and recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics, all formulas meet the nutritional advisory for baby formula including iron, calcium and Vitamins D, E, and K.
- Iron for healthy development overall
- Calcium for bone health
- Vitamin D for immune development along with bones and muscles
- Vitamin E for healthy skin and eyes
- Vitamin K for blood health and preventative excess bleeding (Vitamin K deficiencies are common in newborns)
Burt’s Bees also mentions their strong belief that all babies should have dietary DHA omega-3, which inspired the DHA addition to all formulas.
Notably, the company only sourced water-extracted DHA, which keeps the formulas free from hexane, a known neurotoxin used to manufacture glue.
The 3 Types of Burt’s Bees Baby Formulas:
1. Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula “Infant Milk”
Ideal for 0 to 12 months, the infant milk is crafted to mimic breast milk and contains all of the recommended and required nutrients to ensure infant development.
2. Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula “Sensitive”
The Sensitive formula is specially formulated for sensitive tummies. Made with a 74 percent reduced lactose formula, this is ideal for babies with gassy tummies that struggle to get through the night.
Also for 0 to 12 months, this one contains all the necessary nutrients along with prebiotics for digestion and increased immune support.
3. Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula “Ultra Gentle”
One of the most popular formulas (it often has a waiting list to purchase), the Ultra Gentle blend is super gentle with easy-to-digest proteins for babies 0 to 12 months. It contains all of the sought out nutrients without the lactose for babies with gassy, fussy tummies.
- All Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas are made from high-quality, responsibly sourced organic ingredients
- All Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas meet nutritional FDA & USDA standards as well as American Academy of Pediatrics nutrient recommendations
- Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas are free of artificial ingredients and toxins
- Burt’s Bees Baby Formulas contain DHA that has not been extracted with hexane
- All Formulas are gluten free and contain added Omega-3 (via DHA) and Omega-6 (via ARA and LA)
- All Formulas are easy on infant tummies without leading to gas or constipation
- Comparably priced at $31.99 for 23.3 ounces
- Unlike other baby formulas, Burt’s Bees Formulas do not include added probiotics
- Burt’s Bees Baby Formulas contain palm and soy oil as well as mortierella alpina oil and schizochytrium oil
- The Sensitive Formula swaps lactose for glucose syrup solids and maltodextrin which are found to be void of nutritional value
- Some reviews mention that the formulas mix poorly and are prone to clumping
- No obvious monthly subscription service offered
Other Alternatives to Consider
Bobbie Organic Baby Formula
Founded by two moms, Laura Modi and Sarah Hardy, the Bobbie Organic Baby Formula line is a US company with a European “style” formula. European baby formulas go through a more rigorous regulation system, often meaning the formulas are of better quality than many US baby formulas.
All Bobbie Formulas are USDA Certified Organic and free of GMOs. Formulated for infants 0 to 12 months, the moms behind the Bobbie Formulas were most concerned with creating a formula as close to breastmilk as possible.
They collaborated with other parents who happened to be food scientists and medical experts, to create the highest-quality formulas. With added iron, DHA, and ARA free of hexane extraction, Bobbie is the only US formula featuring 20mg of DHA per 100kcal, a European requirement.
For added fats, Bobbie formulas avoid palm oil and instead rely on coconut oil, sunflower or safflower oil, and non-GMO soy oil to help infant development.
- Following the recipes of many European-formula brands, Bobbi’s formula complies with many of EU formula standards
- No added sugars are typically found in formulas through added corn syrup, sugar solids, or maltodextrin
- Bobbi Formula uses an algae-based DHA that does not use hexane for extraction and meets the EU requirement of 20mg of DHA/100 calories
- Closely following the makeup of breastmilk, Bobbi Formulas are 57% carbohydrates, 28% fats, 11% proteins, and 2% vitamins and minerals
- Bobbi sources organic milk from USDA organic certified pasture-raised dairy
- Manufactured in Vermont, USA, and is not affected by supply-chain issues
- The company supports mother and baby nonprofits such as Baby2Baby and Brilliant Detroit
- Offers a monthly subscription service with free shipping and cancelation
- Bobbie Formulas do not provide a lactose-reduced or lactose-free option so may not work best for babies with digestion issues and sensitive tummies
- No added prebiotics or probiotics
- Comes in European sizing at 400g or 14oz which is comparably smaller than other US formula cans
- Is slightly more expensive than competitors at $24 per 14oz can
Earth’s Best is no stranger to baby products. From diapers and wipes to baby and toddler food, Earth’s Best has been specializing in baby products since 1985. Founded by Ron Koss and Arnie Koss in Vermont, the two set out to create baby food with the highest-quality ingredients while promoting environmental responsibility. Starting with fruit and vegetable purees, the company evolved to include an array of baby and toddler products.
The Earth’s Best Organic Baby Formulas stay true to the mission of the company. In 2006, they launched the first ever organic soy infant formula. Today, all Earth’s Best Organic Formula is produced from organic milk from cows fed certified organic grain and hay and come in three styles Dairy, Sensitivity, and Gentle.
- Offers a Non-GMO plant-based formula with added iron, great for babies with lactose insensitivities
- All milk-based formulas made from dairy cows fed an organic grass and grain diet
- One of the least expensive organic formulas at $28 for 23 ounces
- Iron Fortified for healthy development
- Contains added Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA fatty acids which aid in the development of brain and eyes
- Formulated to be like breastmilk, Earth’s Best formulas contain nucleotides, carnitine and added selenium and taurine
- Uses water-extracted DHA
- Some reviewers found this formula hard to mix
Continuously ranked number 1 among many baby formula reviewers, Loulouka is a Dutch-based company that was founded by three men who had been working in the baby formula industry.
With the births of their own children, the three started to realize they could not find a formula in line with their personal visions. This launched a three-year process of developing a baby formula they were happy with, finally coming to consumers in 2019.
Although Dutch-based, it was in the Alps of Switzerland where the men found the highest-quality milk source. All animals are treated at the highest-level “Swiss” standard.
Swiss farmers, for example, keep only 23 cows per farm on average, allowing them to give much attention to each cow. Cows can also roam freely in the Swiss Alps with plenty of access to fresh grass and water.
- Loulouka formulas come in both cow’s milk and goat’s milk to meet the needs of all infants
- Coconut oil replaces palm oil for as a more sustainable source
- Loulouka formulas come in specialized stages, stage 1 being 0 to 6 months, stage two 6+ months, and stage three 10+ months
- Contains nothing artificial, no sucrose or corn syrups
- Loulouka formulas contain amino acids and added Omega-3s (via DHA and ARA) and Omega-6 (via LA), prebiotics, inositol, and choline
- Is fully EU organic certified, which means it passes even higher standards than USDA organic certification
- Meets all USDA nutritional requirements or recommendations
- To ensure the highest level of safety, Loulouka requires fifty unique assurance tests on the formula before shipping
- The stage 2 and 3 formulas contain maltodextrin as a thickening carbohydrate agent
- More expensive than many other organic formulas at $31.99 for a 400g can or $47.99 for a 900g can. However, some specials are offered on larger purchases
Question: What age range can Burts Bees Organic Baby Formulas be used for?
Answer: The Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas are recommended for infants ages 0 to 12 months.
Question: Are the ingredients in Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas actually organic?
Answer: Yes. Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas are all USDA Certified Organic and are tested to be free of added hormones, antibiotics, preservatives and genetically engineered ingredients.
Question: How do I know which is the best Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula for my baby?
Answer: With three versions, Infant Milk, Sensitive, and Ultra Gentle, boasting lactose, reduced lactose, or lactose free, there are enough options to suit sensitive tummies and lactose insensitivies if that is a need for your baby
Question: Is Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula free of toxins and arsenic?
Answer: Yes! All Burt’s Bees Organic Baby formulas are totally free of toxins and arsenic and are furthermore free of added hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, and genetically-engineered ingredients.
Question: Is Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formula expensive?
Answer: Comparable to many other organic formulas on the market, all three versions of the Burt’s Bees Formulas are $31.99 for a 23.3 ounce can or $46.99 for a 34-ounce can.
Burt’s Bees Organic Formula Review: Final Thoughts
Overall, Burt’s Bees Organic Baby Formulas do seem like a good option for infants. Meeting all of the nutrient requirements by the FDA and many of the recommendations by the American Academy of Pediatrics, parents can feel confident in the nutritional content of all three versions (Infant Milk, Gentle, and Ultra Sensitive) offered to grow newborns. And, with the lactose-reduced and lactose-free options, there is a formula for even the most sensitive baby tummies.