Kids don’t really start playing with toys on their own and using their own imaginations until they’re considered toddlers. Even so, watching them learn from and play with anything while they’re still babies is still a fun experience all around.
They may not even be taking in everything a toy is offering, in terms of education, but these seven best toys for three-month-olds are still beneficial to their overall mental and emotional development.
At the age of three months old, your baby is likely hitting the milestones of interacting with others more and communicating with their body and facial expressions. He or she is also probably playing with teethers or rattles willingly and even already having fun with different floor play mats.
At this age, it’s not necessarily about trying to ingrain letters, numbers, and colors in their memory, but instead stimulate their mind in general. You can do this with play mats, yes, or age-appropriate blocks, and even soft toy cars. And there are also soft books with crinkly pages and really anything that plays music.
Regardless of what your own baby responds to, introducing some of these toys for three-month-olds can be a lot of fun, even if they get bored easily, which they’re bound to do.
Jump to a specific section
1. VTech Baby Talk and Go Farm Rattle
The VTech Baby Talk and Go Farm Rattle takes the word rattle to a whole new level. Instead of being a simple shake toy, the “rattle” makes a variety of sounds and songs when your baby shakes it.
It also has flashing lights, which are sure to entice your baby, and buttons and flaps to engage them in more than just one way. The rattle even has a motion sensor to really attract your baby to it in case he or she sets it down and forgets about it a few minutes later. There are, however, two different volume settings as well as an off button, which means that you can toss the rattle in your diaper bag and take it with you on the go to continue entertaining your baby no matter where you are.
- Child Age Range: The rattle is perfect for babies from 3-24 months old.
- The Best Part: You can turn the volume on a lower setting or even turn off the sound completely and your baby will still likely enjoy playing with the toy.
- The Not So Great: Since it is made of hard plastic, it’s best to keep a close eye on your baby while he or she plays with the rattle so they don’t hit themselves with it.
2. O Ball Rattle & Roll Car
For some babies, the O Ball Rattle & Roll Car might be their first-ever toy care and it can be a lot of fun to watch them learn to play with it for the first time.
The popular O Ball teething ball makes up the cab for these cars, which in turn makes the car double as a sort of teether for your baby. But the holes throughout also make it easier for your little one’s little hands to grab hold and grip the rattling car.
While the colors and styles vary depending on which car you choose for your baby, the wheels on each car contain little beads that make noise when they move or when your child shakes the car. This, of course, makes playtime even more fun for them as they learn how to play with their first toy car.
- Child Age Range: The rattle car is designed for babies ages three months and up.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: The O Ball car doubles as a teether, and since your baby is bound to want to chew on any toy anyway, it’s a win-win.
- The Not So Great: Over time, the wheels might become squeaky and even a little loose.
3. Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas
You really can’t have a toy box for your three-month-old without including some rattles, and the Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas may be perfect to add to your baby’s supply.
Each pack comes with two in a set for your child to hold one in each hand while making noise and having fun on their own. The handles are small enough for small hands to grip tightly and the tops of the maracas are soft and cushioned in case your baby decided to chomp down on them.
And, as to be expected, the bottom of each maraca is filled with beads to make noise while your baby shakes to his or her heart’s content. Together, the sounds and textures that come with the maracas are meant to stimulate your baby’s senses as he or she develops.
- Child Age Range: They’re perfect for babies ages three months and up.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase them on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: The rattles will help strengthen your baby’s gross motor skills while also entertaining them during playtime.
- The Not So Great: Some parents might not love the fact that the rattle part of the rattles isn’t very prominent or loud.
4. Bright Starts Snuggle Teether
At it core, the Bright Starts Snuggle Teether might be most appropriate for soothing your baby’s sore gums, but it’s also the perfect snuggler to entertain and calm them down as well. In either the giraffe or elephant style, the Snuggle Teether contains soft fabrics, crinkle sounds underneath some of the soft fabric, and soft plastic teethers for feet.
Your baby can either cuddle and play with their new animal friend or play with it while it hangs from the handle of their car seat or carrier, so there are definitely a couple of different ways to use the Bright Starts Snuggle Teether to entertain and soothe your little one.
- Child Age Range: It’s meant for babies from 0-36 months old.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the teether on Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: Overall, it’s lightweight and easy for your younger baby to play with and carry with them wherever they go.
- The Not So Great: You can only wipe it clean as opposed to being able to put it in a washer to get it clean.
5. VTech Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads
One of the best things about the VTech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads toy is that your baby can actually use it even before they hit the three-month-old mark. But chances are, by three months, they’ll be able to engage with it even more.
The plush stuffed cow is surrounded by a plastic ring that your baby can hold onto easily and press the buttons on to hear sound effects and songs or see flashing lights. In fact, there are more than 30 songs, melodies, and phrases to entertain and educate your baby for a while.
While your baby is most likely to hold the cow by the beaded ring, there are also a variety of different fabrics used on it to allow for extra sensory play and development.
- Child Age Range: It’s designed to engage babies from birth and up.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Walmart and Target.
- The Best Part: The sounds and songs are great for entertaining your baby, but the ring itself allows your baby to practice and strengthen his or her motor skills.
- The Not So Great: Some parents might not like the fact that there are almost constant flashing lights with the toy.
6. Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether Toy
When your child is still an infant, there isn’t much they can do, short of practicing their grip with different things, and that can include the Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether Toy.
Thanks to its many different tubes that continuously move in several different directions, it won’t be hard for your baby to hold onto it any given time. Your baby can then bite down on or gum the plastic rings, which double as teethers, so really there are multiple uses for this particular toy.
Plus, the little toy in the middle of all of the plastic tubs makes a rattling sound when your baby shakes it, so in that respect, they’ll continue to be entertained by it and enjoy it.
- Child Age Range: The rattle and teether are for babies from 0-24 months old.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Target.
- The Best Part: Your baby can and likely will start playing with and gripping the toy early on, giving them something to engage with.
- The Not So Great: Since the wire tubes are hollow, there is room for mold to grow over time, even if you can’t see it right away.
7. Infantino Pond Pals Twist and Fold Activity Gym and Play Mat
There are some things your baby will need to be able to have fun and engage in developmental activities early on and a floor mat like the Infantino Pond Pals Twist and Fold Activity Gym and Play Mat.
It promotes overhead discovery with a variety of hand toys and can be used in three different stages. Use the Play Mat for your baby who still needs to lay down and watch them delight in the different toys and mirrors. Then, switch over to tummy time with the wedge pillow that comes with the floor mat.
And in the final stage, your baby can use the mat to sit upon and play with his or her toys. When it’s time to put it away at any given time, you simply twist and fold the soft crossbars on the top.
- Child Age Range: It’s meant for babies from 0 months and up.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: There are several different ways and stages to use the mat that you’ll be able to get plenty of use out of it before your child has outgrown it.
- The Not So Great: It can difficult to get the hang of collapsing and folding it.
When your baby is just three months old, they’re not asking for and certainly don’t need all of the bells and whistles that come with toys for much older children. But there is a certain value in finding toys that are educational in promoting the kinds of developmental skills and three months old could do well with working toward.
Your own baby may prefer simpler toys than those with lights, sounds, or music, but whether they prefer those or simple teether toys, there’s no harm in finding something that works for your little one. Again, that certainly doesn’t have to men the most extravagant or complicated toy, but clearly, there are plenty of suitable toys out there for three-month-olds to play with and engage with.
Granted, your baby might grow tired after just a few days or even weeks with one of them, but it’s all part of the learning process. Better yet, if you can find a toy that will grow with them from infancy, that will likely work even better for them, and for your wallet, in the long run.