Last Updated on
Searching for the best sippy cup that suits your baby’s needs and his handling skills can be quite a challenge.
There are so many good options out there that make the entire process a tad confusing and overwhelming. I am here to tell you not to worry anymore because I’ve got your back!
Below, you will find plenty of excellent options to choose from and I am sure you will find your dream transition cup.
- 1 What Are the Best Sippy Cups on the Market?
- 2 Best 4 to 6 Month Sippy Cups
- 3 Best 6 to 12 Month Sippy Cups
- 4 Best Sippy Cups 12 to 18 Months
- 5 Best Sippy Cups for Toddlers 18 Months and Up
- 6 What is a Sippy Cup?
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions About Sippy Cups
- 8 Final Verdict on the Best Sippy Cups
What Are the Best Sippy Cups on the Market?
Best 4 to 6 Month Sippy Cups
1. Munchkin Latch Transition Cup
Although this sippy cup is more expensive than other similar products, it features a unique design. The product suits babies older than 4 months and has the following characteristics:
- A soft silicone spout;
- Detachable ergonomic handles;
- An anti-colic valve.
The plastic cup is BPA-free and all the pieces are easy to clean. One thing that many moms love about the Munchkin cup is its high level of adaptability. For instance, you can simply remove the handles once your kid gets old enough to hold the cup.
Moreover, you can also use the manufacturer’s bottle nipples, if necessary. On the other hand, a few clients have complained that the cup is quite restrictive, saying that the handles can easily snap off when the cup is in use.
2. DOIDY Transition Cup
This isn’t a regular sippy cup. Instead, it works great at teaching your baby to drink from something that resembles a regular cup, despite its weird-looking design. With this cup, your child will learn the proper way to use a rim instead of a spout, without spilling any of the liquid on the ground. However, you should always supervise your baby when he or she is using this type of cup. The producer has used the following safe and baby-proof material: BPA-free HD Polyethylene that’s also food-safe.
The product is composed of one single piece that’s very easy to clean. One disadvantage is given by the fact that DOIDY cup isn’t a good alternative when you’re on the go because it can get pretty messy if a baby doesn’t handle it well. Also, its price tag is a tad higher than other options.
3. Nuby Grip N’Sip Super Spout
Nuby transition cups are perfect for small babies because these products have a good grip and they can be easily handled by little hands. This product can be purchased in a pretty wide variety of color combinations: green with orange, pink and green, yellow and red, blue with yellow, and red with purple. Its BPA-free plastic construction makes this cup safe for baby use. Nuby can hold no less than 8 liquid ounces and it’s an affordable choice. Here are some other important features:
- Has a no-spill design;
- It is provided with one handle on each side that is easy to grip;
- Comes with a touch-flow valve that enables kids to gain control over how much liquid they drink at once.
The product has received a lot of positive reviews due to its remarkable characteristics: it is leak-free, easy to clean, and very durable. Nevertheless, a few people seem to think that this cup shouldn’t be used by babies with teeth because the little ones might want to bite the cup’s silicone spout.
4. Tommee Tippee Soft Transition Cup
These transition cups are simply amazing. They are spill-proof, gentle on your infant’s gums, and you can safely clean them in the dishwasher. Tommee Tippee cups come with soft bottle nipples made from silicone. The soft spout enables your baby to drink in several different ways. The product’s main features are:
- Has handles on both sides of the bottle that are detachable and easy to grip;
- It is sterilizer-safe which makes this product highly convenient;
- The cup is BPA-free;
- It comes with interchangeable components.
You can pour up to 5 ounces of milk, juice or water in this cup. The way it was designed, makes this product an excellent choice if you want to encourage your infant to control the liquid flow. This goes by the name of “natural cup drinking.” Finally, Tommee Tippee products are versatile. However, some clients don’t like the fact that the top part of the cup is quite tricky to put on or take off.Tommee Tippee transition cup costs $6.92
which means that this product is one of the least expensive cups out there.
Best 6 to 12 Month Sippy Cups
Once your baby turns 6 months old, you will be able to select from a wider variety of transition cups which includes spout cups, straw cups, and spout-less alternatives. Even at this stage of your baby’s development, a sippy cup should still come equipped with handles because, in certain situations, the bottle might be difficult to handle by your baby’s tiny hands.
1. ZoLi BOT Siliflex Sippy Cup with Straw
ZoLi’s weighted straw enables your kid to drink the liquid from any angle without spilling it. One thing you must consider is that this particular sippy cup is suitable for children who are at least 9 months old. Its design allows you to buy and use replacement straws. The fact that it comes with handles makes this product a lot more convenient and most parents are pleased with how simple it is to assemble this cup.
Here’s a brief list of some of ZoLi BOT’s main features:
- The cup has a weighted straw so it is valve-free;
- It holds up to a maximum quantity of 6 liquid ounces;
- The materials are PVC-free and BPA-free;
- You can easily clean this cup in the dishwasher – make sure to place it on the top rack.
Something to pay attention to is whether your baby tends to bite through the straw. A few moms have stated that this product is a bit prone to leaks because of the top part which is hard to screw properly.ZoLi BOT sippy cup
is a tad on the pricey side. One piece costs $12. Check out the latest price!
2. NUK Learner Transition Cup
NUK is a spill-proof transition cup with removable handles and a fun design. It can hold up to 5 liquid ounces and the plastic that’s made from is BPA-free. The spout is silicone-based which makes it pretty soft and gentle for your baby’s teeth and gums. What’s really interesting about the spout is its special vent that has been added by the producer with the purpose of preventing the baby to swallow too much air. Some other characteristics you might be interested in are:
- It has an easy grip and the handles are covered with an anti-slip material;
- The liquid flows easily and smoothly when the baby sips;
- You can choose from 4 available colors and patterns, all of which will attract your child’s attention: blue elephants, orange monkey, pink and purple hearts, and Mickey Mouse pattern.
According to parents who have used it, NUK’s sippy cup can be easily washed by hand. Also, you will find a travel piece in the package that prevents leaks, especially when you carry the bottle around in a diaper bag. From what a few users said, it appears that some babies might have difficulties in getting the milk, juice or water out.
Price: The price of the NUK Learner transition cup ranges between $6.25 and $7.98, based on the pattern and amount of liquid the bottle can hold (5 or 10 ounces).
3. Miracle 360 Trainer Cup by Munchkin
Munchkin has also created a transition cup especially made for toddlers that doesn’t have any extra parts such as spouts or straws. Instead, this type of cup is excellent for older babies if you want to teach them the right way to drink from something that is a lot like a regular cup without the risk of spills or leaks. Every order comes with two Munchkin cups and the plastic material is BPA-free.
The product’s key features are the following ones:
- It has a 360-degree drinking edge which prevents spills;
- The cup has a special feature through which it seals itself automatically once your kid stops drinking from it;
- You can safely clean this cup in the dishwasher as long as you remove the valve first and place the cup on the top rack of the dishwasher.
Best Sippy Cups 12 to 18 Months
1. Gerber Graduates Assorted Colors Sippy Cup
This product is manufactured in the United States and has a simple design made from two main parts. Toddlers will be able to grab this bottle easily due to its shape. Still, the base part is quite wide which might represent an issue if you want to place the cup into a diaper bag pocket or a standard cup holder.
Some of the best characteristics of this sippy cup are:
- The spout is resistant to bites so your baby can drink independently;
- There is a small area on the bottle that can be personalized with your baby’s name if you desire;
- Comes with a seal zone technology which makes this product spill-proof, break-proof, and leak-proof;
- It is BPA-free and you can safely clean it in the dishwasher;
- Has a nice hourglass shape that prevents tipping.
Price: One pack of Gerber Graduates Fun Grips Hard Spout Sippy Cup contains two bottles. The price of such a pack varies between $15 and $30, depending on the seller.
2. Take and Toss Sippy Cups by the First Years
These are definitely the most affordable products on this list. Each ordered package contains 4 different spill-proof cups. Each cup holds up to 10 liquid ounces. They are durable enough so you can use them over and over. At the same time, their price tag is low enough to consider these products as disposable ones as well. Take and Toss cups come in fun colors but they are also a bit see-through which your kid will surely enjoy.
The First Year sippy cups’ main characteristics are:
- The material they’re made of is BPA-free;
- The lids are spill-proof;
- You can easily use the lids of other products made by the company under the Take and Toss product line;
- These cups are simple yet very affordable;
- They are easy to clean, valve-free, and translucent.
3. Philips Avent My Bendy Straw Cup
If your toddler needs a straw cup that also has handles to grip, the Philips Avent My Bendy Straw Cup is the way to go. Because of its soft straw, it’s recommended for use by dentists, which should put a lot of parents’ minds at ease. Even the lower part of the straw is soft and bendable so your baby can drink every last drop in their cup and won’t miss any once they get to the bottom. There’s also an anti-leak valve and a flip up cap to cover the straw when the cup isn’t in use.
- Child Age Range: It’s designed for children from 12 months and up.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: Compared to other similar sippy cups, it is virtually spill-proof.
- The Not So Great: In order to clean the cup properly, you will need to take it apart each time, which can be annoying.
4. Gerber Graduates Advance Easy Straw Cup
The Gerber Graduates Advance Easy Straw Cup is another straw sippy cup that makes using a big kid sippy cup that much easier for your 18-month-old. The straw itself is probably one of the best things about the cup. It has a wider oval opening, so it’s easier for some toddlers to get their mouth around it to drink from.
And when your child isn’t using the cup, it has an easy to slide cover to keep it from spilling and to prevent germs from touching the straw. There’s even a little loop built into the cap for your toddler to put their finger through to make carrying the cup that much easier.
- Child Age Range: The cup is for children from 12 months old and up.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on Amazon or in-store at Target and Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: The straw is easy to drink from and won’t leave behind any drips when your child pulls away from it.
- The Not So Great: It can be challenging to get the right kind of thorough clean that straw sippy cups require.
5. Tommee Tippee Insulated Sipper Tumbler
Tommee Tippee has a wide range of bottles and sippy cups, and that collection includes the Tommee Tippee Insulated Sipper Tumbler. As the name suggests, the sippy cup is insulated so it can keep its contents colder for longer. The inner valve has just two pieces to take out and clean before you can put them back in and use the cup again.
So unlike some other toddler sippy cup options, it can be a breeze to clean these cups. The small spout is also relatively soft on toddlers’ gums and teeth, and when dropped, the cup is spill-proof for the most part.
- Child Age Range: It’s designed for children from 12 months old and onward.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase it on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: There aren’t too many pieces to keep track of when cleaning or putting the cup back together.
- The Not So Great: The printed decals wash off relatively easily, and the inside of the cup sains easily with colored juices.
Best Sippy Cups for Toddlers 18 Months and Up
1. Reflo Spoutless Smart Cup
These toddler training cups are so great that they have won multiple awards such as the Family Choice Award in 2014, the Top Choice Award given by Baby Maternity magazine in 2014, and the Product of the Year title awarded by Creative Child magazine in 2018. Reflo cups have the proper size to be easily handled by toddlers and their small hands. The secret behind their design is a sort of clear lid that is placed inside the cup and it works to slow down the liquid’s flow when the container is tipped over.
The manufacturer is more than proud of this product’s features:
- A 360-degree use that doesn’t require any suction;
- An open lid design that’s spill-proof;
- All the components of these cups are made in the United States and the company is a family-own enterprise;
- The product is recommended by a number of child therapists and pediatricians.
2. Zak Designs Toddler Cup
Because of its handle-less structure, this transition cup is best suited for toddlers. It is an excellent and very affordable choice that also comes with a great and fun pattern and color. It can hold up to 9 liquid ounces and you can safely was this product in the dishwasher. Although the plastic is BPA-free, you should avoid placing it in the microwave. The cup is insulated with a double wall and it comes with an adjustable flow technology.
On the other hand, despite the manufacturer’s claims related to the cup’s durability, some parents have complained that the valve that controls the flow of the liquid breaks pretty quickly. Also, a few users said that the cap of the bottle cracks when dropped. However, the opinions vary a lot. Some clients are more than pleased with the product and say it is flawless while others are pretty satisfied but not completely happy with the cup’s flow design and the lid’s sturdiness.
3. Nuby Insulated No-Spill Clik-It Cool Sipper
Straw sippy c360-degree degree rim cups are well and good, but sometimes, toddlers respond better to more standard cups like theNuby Insulated No-Spill Clik-It Cool Sipper
. You can have peace of mind knowing it’s locked and closed tight when you hear the audible click and because it’s insulated, the cup can keep your toddler’s drinks cooler for longer. It also has a soft spout and Nuby’s own pressure sensitive “TOUCH-FLO”, which means your child’s own sucking determines how much liquid they get at once.
- Child Age Range: The cup is for toddlers from 18 months and up.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: The flow rate is easy for 18 month old toddlers to handle and isn’t too fast or too slow.
- The Not So Great: The plastic mouth piece might not be soft enough for some toddlers.
Price: On Amazon, the Nuby Insulated No-Spill Clik-It Cool Sipper:
What is a Sippy Cup?
A sippy cup can be used when your little one is transitioning from breastfeeding or bottle feeding to a cup without spilling. Sippy cups are available with a hard or soft spout, with or without handles or with a plastic straw.
A Sippy Cup can also help Toddlers with hand to mouth coordination.
When can I introduce a Sippy Cup to my Toddler?
You can start to introduce a Sippy Cup whenever you think your baby is ready – some start at around 6 months of age. It is recommended to have your Toddler transitioned to a sippy cup by the time they are 1 year old to help prevent tooth decay.
Start with a soft spout and offer it to your Toddler throughout the day. It may take a little while for your child to get used to a Sippy Cup but keep persevering with it.
What are the benefits of my Toddler drinking from a Sippy Cup?
The benefits of a Sippy Cup are:
- To help transition baby off a bottle or breastfeeding.
- Assist with hand to mouth coordination.
- Contributes to prevent tooth decay.
- Provides your Toddler independence without the mess.
- It is a great stepping stone to using a cup.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sippy Cups
The best time to introduce a sippy cup to your baby is when he/she reaches 4 months, as this is the time when you will be introducing solid foods.
Both cups are great, but if you are looking for less mess in your home a sippy cup would be better, and if you are planning a trip with your little one outdoors a straw cup would be a stronger option. This, of course, varies, as it all depends of your baby’s preference.
Babies usually accept all kinds of bottles and new things that are introduced to them, so if you are planning on introducing a sippy cup to your little one, try squirting milk or water from it, or just replacing one meal with a regular bottle and one from a sippy cup for easy transitioning.
Final Verdict on the Best Sippy Cups
It doesn’t really matter which of the above alternatives you choose to buy because all of them are of good quality and their prices are not really over the top. The important thing here is to keep encouraging your baby or toddler to take the sippy cup even if, at first, he or she might not want it. If you notice that a certain model doesn’t do the trick for your child, feel free to try another one.