- Best Reversible Strollers Guide: My Top 7 Choices & How to Pick the Right One for Your Baby - October 10, 2022
- Nuna Leaf Grow vs Curv: Which Is Best? - May 20, 2022
- The Best Baby Oatmeal Brands and Options - May 12, 2022
All parents want to find some of the best outdoor toys for 2 year olds that will keep their children engaged and busy all summer long. Maybe you want to go to the beach and bring some essentials with you, or perhaps you have a backyard that you need to dress up with several fun activities.
From old-school classics to trendy toys, there are a lot of options out there that will help your kid consume his or her energy in a positive and constructive way. Here are some of my favorite picks when it comes to outdoor toys for toddlers that kept my little one happy all summer long!
Jump to a specific section
- The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – 8 Choices
- 1. Gigantic Dump Truck
- 2. Lookout Tower with Mini Slide
- 3. Cozy Coupe Car for Toddlers
- 4. Happy Giddy Tunnel for Toddlers
- 5. Sand & Water Toddler Activity Table
- 6. Outdoor Sidewalk Chalk by Crayola
- 7. Crabbie Toddler Sand Table
- 8. Rainbow Ring Play Center
- The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – The Benefits of Playing Outside
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds
- Question: What Types of Outdoor Toys Are the Best for Toddlers?
- The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – Bottom Line
The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – 8 Choices
1. Gigantic Dump Truck
This toy truck is great for when your 2-year-old wants to play outside. It is manufactured with safe and high-quality fabrics that are also BPA-free. Your child will never get bored of pushing this toy all over your backyard. They can fill it with plenty of things, from sand and rocks to some of their other toys.
This type of playful activity will help your child consume their energy and make them calmer.
- With this toy, there are endless possibilities and many imaginary play opportunities;
- Your children will practice and improve their motor skills;
- It is a toy that provides multiple functions which means you can use it for a long period;
- It is an amazing toy that can be used for both outdoor and indoor play.
- It is a simple toy and, if your son isn’t interested in trucks, he might not want to play with it;
- A few parents said that the plastic isn’t that durable and, if it is used on a daily basis, it might eventually present some cracks.
2. Lookout Tower with Mini Slide
This slide and climber toy works perfectly for children between 2 and 6 years old. It features a nice and realistic shingled roof that will protect your toddler from UV rays. This outdoor toy comes with a plastic periscope that can be adjusted: raised, pivoted, or lowered.
The set is easy to clean, and it is a durable construction due to its double-wall design. Once you place this on your house porch, I guarantee your little one won’t stop climbing up, playing with the periscope, and then sliding down.
- It is low-maintenance and durable;
- The structure is lightweight which allows you to easily move it around;
- It is easy to assemble;
- You can use it inside the house or outside in the backyard.
- The slide is quite short, so the ride won’t last more than a few seconds;
- Some parents said that this toy looks a tad smaller than it appears to be in the presentation photos.
3. Cozy Coupe Car for Toddlers
This ride-on toy made by Little Tikes is an amazing choice for your 2-year-old. Most likely, it will become one of the child’s favorite toys ever. Your kid won’t stop pushing it forth and back, all over your driveway. Its structure allows the toddler to push the car from inside, using their feet. Both doors open and shut.
This type of outdoor toy encourages imaginary play while also developing motor and cognitive skills. It comes with a small storage area in the back and features a high seat. Other special features that mimic a real car’s characteristics are a gas cap and a fake ignition switch.
- The car’s tires are durable;
- Your kid will still feel comfortable and cozy even when this toy is used on rugged terrain;
- The wheels in the front can spin 360 degrees;
- It is a high-quality toddler’s toy made in the US;
- Your toddler will be able to maneuver this toy car easily;
- It is an excellent option for a family walk.
- The storage aspect may be an issue because this toy occupies plenty of space;
- A few parents claimed that this toy is quite difficult to assemble, although the company states that the process isn’t that complex.
4. Happy Giddy Tunnel for Toddlers
This crawl tunnel can be used as both an indoor and outdoor toddler toy. On the outside, it looks like a striped bug, and it can easily be opened or put away. Its construction is durable, which is excellent for active children. Your toddlers will definitely have fun going through this colorful bright tunnel.
It seems that crawling is an activity that strengthens your kid’s muscles, and it allows children to better coordinate their body’s large muscle movements. This could certainly become your little one’s favorite birthday gift.
- You can use it inside or outside the house;
- It provides a lot of fun and exciting physical activities;
- You can fold it up in no time and easily store this toy;
- It is easy to clean.
- You cannot wash this toy. You’re only allowed to wipe clean it;
- It seems that right out of the box, the fabric might have a weird smell that reminds parents of something toxic or paint of some sort.
5. Sand & Water Toddler Activity Table
This sand and water table provides the ideal sensory experience that will keep toddlers perfectly entertained. It is one of the best outdoor toys for 2 year olds because it enables them to play numerous fun games. Your child will spend hours refining his or her motor skills.
Pouring water or dumping sand requires a lot more coordination that one might expect. Your child will have to dig in the sand using a small shovel and then fill a bucket with that sand. All these involve repetitive actions that support your little one’s wrist health.
The sand area could also work as a canvas where you can teach your kid to draw lines or create different shapes as a way to start an early literacy practice.
- This is an amazing toy for creative play;
- Your child can socialize and interact with other toddlers because this game can be played together with other kids;
- It is a durable toy made from good-quality materials;
- Your toddler will receive appropriate input when it comes to sensory-related activities.
- You may have to place a rug or some kind of plastic wrap on the floor, especially if you use this toy inside the house because it can get messy.
6. Outdoor Sidewalk Chalk by Crayola
This Crayola chalk contains bright pigments that will let your little one create beautiful art on the sidewalk. The shape of the chalk prevents it from rolling down your driveway, which keeps your kids safe because they won’t feel the need to run into the street after their toy.
The chalk’s formula is a special one that can be removed with water. This type of outdoor toy is accessible, affordable, and easy to store. Drawing with chalk promotes fine motor skills as well as a healthy imagination and creativity.
Allow your child to doddle any way he or she wishes. Teach them how to draw hopscotch and then play that game together with your toddler.
- This chalk is washable and non-toxic;
- Your child will have plenty of different play options available;
- It is easy to store;
- It is an amazing alternative to improve pre-academic skills like color naming or writing.
- It can get a tad messy, but you can wash it with water;
- It seems that the glitter isn’t that visible on the sidewalk.
7. Crabbie Toddler Sand Table
Step2 Crabbie is a fun sand table that your kid will simply adore. The box also contains four different sand toys as well as a removable shell lid. The lid is used to keep the sand both dry and clean when your toddler isn’t using the table. Toddlers and children up to 6 years old can play with this engaging toy.
The Crabbie sand table can hold up to approximately 25 lbs. of sand. Some kids like to fill it with other items such as tiny toys or pebbles.
- You can install this table inside or outside the house;
- It is versatile, and it allows your kid to play numerous games and create sandcastles;
- It improves sensory-related skills and enables your child to remain active and healthy.
- If you use it inside the house, you should be aware that things might get messy;
- If you let your toddler fill it with pebbles, you must supervise your little one’s playtime because small items represent a choking hazard;
- The assembly process might take a while.
8. Rainbow Ring Play Center
The Rainbow Ring inflatable play center with kiddie pools and a slide is definitely one of the best outdoor toys for 2 year olds. It is so colorful and fun to use during the summer months. It includes the following elements: a water slide, water sprayers, a wading pool, and a ring toss game. Your children will remain entertained for hours at a time.
The water sprayers are pretty easy to install. All you have to do to help your kids remain cool and refreshed when the weather is hot is to fill the pool with water by using your garden hose. The kiddie pool area can be filled with around 77 gallons of water.
- It is one of the most engaging and entertaining outdoor toys on the market;
- It is a complex yet affordable set that will keep your toddlers busy for a long period;
- This pool has a pretty decent water holding capacity;
- It features a landing mat that offers additional padding;
- This toy encourages your child to interact with other kids because the space is big enough to fit at least 4 toddlers.
- A few parents said that, when left in the sun for many hours, this inflatable pool might not hold up;
- Inflating the set and then blowing out the air for storage is pretty tricky and time-consuming.
The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – The Benefits of Playing Outside
Encouraging your child to go outside and play provides many benefits. First and foremost, it helps the child develop properly and supports the improvement of both fine and gross motor skills. All these can be achieved naturally by playing with outdoor toys.
Secondly, activities such as running, jumping, crawling, climbing, sliding, and scooting will burn off the kids’ energy and turn them into healthy and happy individuals. All these toys allow children to explore their surroundings and feed their curious minds.
Toddlers need to spend as much time as possible outside. When they spend enough time outdoors in a fun and creative way, your children won’t have as many tantrums as they would if they stayed inside a lot. To sum up, here are some of the most important benefits of outdoor playing time:
- Your kids will be physically healthier;
- Outdoor play develops both social and cognitive abilities;
- It boosts sensory skills;
- It increases your kids’ attention spans;
- Playing outside leads to a well-balanced immune system and a boosted level of happiness.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds
Question: What Types of Outdoor Toys Are the Best for Toddlers?
Answer: Some of the best toys for 2 years olds are those that meet your children’s personal interests and can encourage natural development through fun and play. All these toys have the role of teaching your kids different sets of skills. So, make sure you pick those toys that offer a wide range of learning opportunities.
Answer: The most important thing is to follow his or her lead. Let your child explore on its own, under your attentive supervision. Allows your toddler to play and climb hills because these activities support motor skills and promote balance. Introduce your kids to nature during brief walks and encourage them to tell you the things they see.
Answer: One of the most popular outdoor ideas for your toddlers is sensory play. This can be easily done with a water table or a sandbox. Bikes, ride-on toys, and push toys are also amazing options to boost motor abilities and burn energy.
Answer: At their age, toddlers are just starting to enjoy their new-developed sense of independence. They now have the ability to walk on their own, jump, run, and play. Taking your little one outside will allow him or her to explore freely and develop skills and senses: sight, smell, muscles, etc. Children who play outside a lot will have better balance and coordination.
Many outdoor toys can help you increase your toddler’s interest in outside play. Talk to your kids about the wonders that await them beyond your front door and come up with all sorts of interesting playtime ideas to spend some quality time with your children.
Answer: Activities like kicking a ball, building sandcastles with plastic tools, pouring water in special compartments, jumping, sliding, and many others will challenge your toddlers’ physical abilities and motor skills.
Things like patience, self-control, and logic are all pretty big challenges for 2-year-olds. As their parents, your main job is to guide them and help them overcome these challenges. Through educational and interactive outdoor toys, you can encourage actions like problem-solving, logic, and other mental abilities.
The Best Outdoor Toys for 2 Year Olds – Bottom Line
Before purchasing any outdoor toys for your little one, you should consider certain factors such as your budget, price range, safety features, and, obviously, your child’s needs and interests. Any of the toys presented in today’s article could be a great pick for your kid because they are all fun, interesting, and engaging.
Don’t forget to keep all these playing areas clean at all times and, if necessary, supervise your children during their playtime. All the products detailed above will certainly provide good value for your money.