- Oatmeal vs Rice Cereal: Which Is Best For Your Baby? - February 6, 2023
- Dr. Brown vs Avent Bottles: Which is Better? - January 23, 2023
- Tommee Tippee vs Avent: Which is Better? - January 5, 2023
Now that the winter is ending, it’s almost time to enjoy outdoor play again with your little one. And even for the youngest toddlers, outdoor play can be a lot more fun than playing inside all winter was. So, what are the best outdoor toys for one-year-olds?
Some of these are bound to give you and your little one the most summer fun possible, especially if you have a toddler with an adventurous spirit. Whether you’re looking for something that will promote water play or something to keep your one-year-old a little more active, there are options for fun outdoor playtime.
As kids get older, it can be a little more difficult to get your child to want to go outside and play, but with toddlers, it’s a little easier. This is especially true for one-year-olds, who are finally just old enough to enjoy outdoor toys beyond sitting on a picnic blanket with a foam ball.
Instead, your one-year-old can play with a water table or little swing and slide that are just the right size for him and her. There are also a couple of easy-to-ride toddler bikes to get your toddler’s little legs moving.
Whatever you want your one-year-old to play with outside now that the winter is finally thawing, there are some fun outdoor toys for one-year-old options:
Jump to a specific section
1. Step2 Splish Splash Seas Water Table With Umbrella
A water table is a staple of any toddler’s outdoor toy collection. The Step2 Splish Splash Water Table with Umbrella takes things a step further with its little island, palm tree, and slides to entertain your little one for hours.
Unlike some other water tables, it also has an umbrella to keep your little one out of the sun so they can play even longer. Plus, the table is long enough so multiple little ones can play at the same time without fighting over the best toys.
The table is tall enough for toddlers to be able to stand and play as long as they want but not too short that preschoolers can’t also get fun out of it. In short, your one-year-one will be able to get years of use out of the water table.
- Child Age Range: The table is designed for toddlers from a year old and up.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: Toddlers can get years of use out of the table as they grow.
- The Not So Great: Since water can get trapped under the little plastic island, there is a chance of mold building up over time.
- Price: On eBay, the Step2 Splish Splash Water Table with Umbrella.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this water table.
The Step2 Panda Climber not only adds a fun element to your backyard, but it promotes physical activity and hand-eye coordination. And when naps are still on the table with your one-year-old, there’s never in harm in helping to tire them out.
The climber has a little opening on the bottom for little ones to crawl through and an easy built-in ladder to climb. From there, they can slide down the slide that is just the right size for little ones and will provide enough fun without the dangers that large swing sets come with for little ones.
There’s also a safety rail on the back of the climber so you won’t have to worry about your toddler leaning back and falling while waiting to use the slide part of the climber. Plus, you can easily wipe the durable plastic clean and use it either outdoors or indoors.
- Child Age Range: The climber is designed for children ages 1.5 years old and up.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: It’s small enough to fit in your house during the colder months.
- The Not So Great: Some three-year-olds may start to lose interest, so you may not be able to get as much use out of the climber as you want, even though younger toddlers will enjoy it.
- Price: On eBay, the Step2 Panda Climber
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this climber.
Versatile play: Climbing, crawling, and sliding activities provide endless indoor or outdoor fun. Durable construction: Maintenance-free construction supports up to 60 lbs.
Every toddler needs a tricycle at some point and the Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Stroll ‘n Trike is the perfect starter toddler trike for any one-year-old. It starts off as a little bike that can securely keep your toddler on the seat while you push it. The next step takes the safety bar off and your toddler is still safely buckled in but gets a little more wiggle room.
The third stage involves your toddler getting used to using the actual pedals, but the parent handle is still there if they need a little push.
The final stage of the bike is a full-blown tricycle that your older toddler or preschooler won’t need any help with. It’s the perfect little bike to get your toddler used to riding since they can stick with the same one throughout the riding stages.
It will also give you literal years of use, which means it gives you plenty of bang for your buck.
- Child Age Range: The trike is for children from 9 months-5 years old.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: The trike can grow with your little one from the time they’re a baby all the way through the toddler years.
- The Not So Great: Steering the bike as a parent can get a little tricky on rough or uneven pavement.
- Price: On Amazon, the Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Stroll ‘n Trike.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on this trike.
4 tricycles in 1: This tricycle grows with your child through different riding stages. Easily convert between 4 growing stages by removing the accessories.
The Little Tikes Rocking Horse is another outdoor summer toy for your one-year-old that can be used inside if your little one wants to. It doesn’t require any assembly, so all you have to do is take it out of the box and let your little one play on the horse to their heart’s content.
The edges are smooth, so you won’t have to worry about any sharp edges catching on your toddler’s clothes or scratching them. It’s also easy to wipe clean and because it’s so lightweight, you can take the rocking horse inside when the weather gets a little cooler or you have a steady influx of rainy days.
It isn’t necessarily about getting in physical activity, but toddler can spend hours rocking and enjoying the soothing and sometimes thrilling movement.
- Child Age Range: The rocking horse is for children from 1-3 years old.
- Where To Buy: You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: Little ones can easily grasp the little handles and get the hand of rocking back and forth quickly.
- The Not So Great: Some parents might feel like it has a strong plastic smell that doesn’t quite go away.
- Price: On Amazon, the Little Tikes Rocking Horse.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the rocking horse.
This is one of Little Tikes' classic items. Children will learn balance and coordination. Durable enough to last for generations!
The Little Tikes Push and Ride Racer is like a ride-on toy and walker all in one. They can easily hold onto the back handle to push it and when they sit in the racer to ride it, the high-back handle serves as a backrest so they can comfortably ride while they use their feet to propel them forward.
You can also use this one indoors or outdoors and because it has multiple uses, it can grow along with your little one. It also promotes physical activity to keep your toddler moving and can be the precursor to an eventual tricycle.
The low contoured seat makes it easier for little riders to get on and off on their own and the handles are easy to hold onto to keep little ones steady and safe.
Also a great toy to build social skills with others.
- Child Age Range: The racer is for little ones from 9 months-3 years old.
- Where To Buy: You can primarily find it on Amazon.
- The Best Part: It has more than just one use for growing babies and toddlers.
- The Not So Great: It can be a little difficult for some parents to put together.
- Price: On Amazon, the Little Tikes Push And Ride Racer.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent or current recalls on the racer.
A riding toy and walker in one. Toddlers can ride themselves or use kid-sized push bar as a push toy or car.
- Crayola Washable Sidewalk Chalk Set (Check Price)
- Splashin’kids 3 in 1 Inflatable Wading Pool (Check Price)
- Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike (Check Price)
- SplashEZ 3 in 1 Kiddie Pool Water Toys Splash Pad (Check Price)
- Lydyz Bubble Mower (Check price)
- Yunlife Toddler Swing Set (Check price)
- Sunny Day Leaf Bubble Blower (Check Price)
Final Thoughts on the Best Outdoor Toys for 1 Year Olds
Clearly, there is no shortage of outdoor toys for your one-year-old to play with right now.
Some of these might even pass for indoor toys if you have a big enough playroom or play area in your home.
One of the best things you can do for your growing toddler is getting him or her moving and, typically, outdoor toys get little ones moving in the best ways possible.
These particular toys can be enjoyed by one-year-olds and they are sure to get plenty of use out of them until they literally outgrow the toys. With almost all of them, though, the outdoor toys promote physical activity and imaginative play.
Recommended Reads on Toddler Toys:
- Best Toddler Sprinklers for Outdoor Summer Fun
- 9 Best Bath Toys For Toddlers You’ll Really Appreciate
- The 6 Best Musical Toys All Toddlers Want to Have!
- 9 Best Educational Toys for Toddlers You Will Both Love
- The Best Learning Toys For Toddlers
- These Are The Best Kiddie Pools For Babies & Toddlers
- Best Wooden All Natural Toys for Babies
- Best Natural Dollhouse Furniture (Ditch the Plastic!)
- What To Register for A Baby Sprinkle
- Squishable Picnic Line for Babies Review