Being a mom is extremely rewarding but it isn’t easy. It comes with many challenges and plenty of decision making. Your little human depends entirely on you. New moms are always searching for products that can make their full-time job easier and, due to how well technology has developed, we can now enjoy motherhood more.
One example is represented by hands-free breast pumps that allow you to multitask while using them. For instance, you could use this type of pump and work on your computer at the same time. Most of these electrical breast pumps are very easy to use and they help you save a lot of precious time.
For all those reasons mentioned above, I have created the following list of the best hands-free breast pumps available on the market. To help you decide, I’ve also included some buying guidelines and other useful details.
- 1 Top 5 Best Hands Free Breast Pumps to Consider
- 2 How to Find the Best Hands-Free Breast Pump – Things to Consider
- 3 FAQs About the Best Hands-Free Breast Pumps
- 4 Bottom Line
Top 5 Best Hands Free Breast Pumps to Consider
I’ve chosen the following products due to their features and popularity but I have listed them in no particular order.
1. Willow Hands-Free Pump
The Willow breast pump is one of the most discreet hands-free pumps out there. This wireless pump comes with large plastic cups that will fit perfectly into all your nursing bras. Some moms even say that this product is a game-changer. It provides a high level of convenience and comfort.
While pumping, you can do other activities such as taking a call, eating, writing, working at your home desk, or even relaxing and watching a TV show. There aren’t any wires or tubes attached to this item and the box also includes no less than 24 spill-proof bags that make the pumping process a breeze.
- You will only have to clean two parts: the flex tube and the pump’s cup;
- The design of the Willow breast pump is truly wearable and convenient due to its wireless feature;
- It comes with a dedicated app that tracks your pumping session in real-time;
- The battery lasts all day.
- For some moms, the suction could be a bit too strong and might feel a tad uncomfortable;
- It takes a while to feel truly comfortable when you’re out and about wearing the pump under your clothes.
2. Freemie Liberty Mobile Breast Pump
The Freemie Liberty pump is considered one of the most versatile items of its kind. This is due to the fact that its main parts (the tubes and the two collection cups) can be used without any cords with this battery-operated pump or you can also attach them to your standard breast pump, the one that’s covered by your insurance.
Some of the aspects that most users love about this product are its large collection capacity of the cups, the discreet fit of the product, and how remarkably easy it is to use this breast pump. It is a fast and portable item and it is also noise-free.
- It features noise reduction technology;
- You can adjust some of the pump’s characteristics like the strength of the suction, its speed, and even the length of the tube;
- Each cup has a holding capacity of 8 ounces;
- It comes with Fitmie inserts made of silicone that you can use to adjust the size of the cup.
- If you’re searching for cups that are larger than C size, this pump might not be the best option for you;
- You must align the cups properly or otherwise they might leak;
- For some users, the tubing seems a tad too thick and long which makes the device harder to conceal under clothes.
3. Baby Buddha Compact Breast Pump
When it comes to two major aspects (speed and strength) this Baby Buddha breast pump is definitely the winner. The kit contains cushions for the cups which lowers the strain these parts might put on your nipples. It may not seem like an important issue but many new moms deal with sore nipples.
The pump’s console features a trackball that you can easily swivel to choose between 14 available comfort settings. Each option initiates a type of stimulation, suction, and speed mix. This product is one of the safest breast pumps on the market.
- It features built-in backflow protectors;
- It is a noise-free breast pump;
- Baby Buddha is a portable and lightweight hands-free pump;
- One session doesn’t take longer than 15 minutes;
- You can use it with either Freemie cups or wide-mouthed bottles;
- The quality of its ribbed silicone membrane is excellent.
- The kit comes with one single type of flange, the 24 mm one. Compared to this, competitor brands offer a minimum of two different cup sizes.
4. Medela Freestyle Electric Breast Pump
Medela Freestyle is a double electric breast pump made for daily use. It provides personal fit breast shields available in two different sizes for boosted comfort. The battery is rechargeable and the motor is very lightweight so you can easily pump on the go. The package contains a portable microfiber carry bag in which you can keep all the parts of the device.
If you combine this breast pump with the Medela pumping bra, you will enjoy a very comfy overall experience. The bra is made of soft materials and you can choose from several different sizes. This amazing tool can easily replicate your baby’s suction strength and rhythm. The aforementioned combo boosts milk flow and speeds up the letdown.
- With this device, you can recharge the battery even when you’re not at home so that you can pump on the go as well;
- There are two different breast shields: one that measures 24 mm and a 27-mm one;
- The package also contains a couple of 5-ounce bottles along with a cooler case, an ice pack, and a tote bag;
- You can easily multitask while using the pump due to its lightweight structure.
- Based on where you live, you may need a universal adapter to recharge the battery;
- Compared to other pump models, this one features a pretty weak suction power.
5. Elvie Wearable Breast Pump
The Elvie breast pump is quite similar to Willow because it comes without any annoying tubing or wires. This is a double pump which means you can pump simultaneously 10 ounces of milk. There’s also a tracking mobile app that comes in handy if you want to be consistent with the pumping process.
With this compact and lightweight pump, you can fill two 5-ounce bottles anywhere you are, anytime you want. It works very quietly and the device is highly responsive. It automatically goes from the Stimulation mode into the Expression mode whenever necessary.
- It is a low-maintenance product;
- Once the battery is fully charged, it lasts about 80 minutes;
- It functions in almost complete silence;
- The suction is gentle and resembles your baby’s feeding style;
- You will receive two sets of bottles and chargers.
- Its Bluetooth connectivity doesn’t work very well;
- In terms of accuracy, the pump’s sensors could and should be improved.
How to Find the Best Hands-Free Breast Pump – Things to Consider
Finding the right breast pump that suits your needs and preferences can be a daunting task. Here are the most important things to look at when choosing the best hands-free pump you can afford.
1. Double vs Single Breast Pumps
Obviously, single pumps are more compact and lightweight compared to double pumps. They are also easier to use. On the other hand, double pumps will allow you to collect more milk in a shorter amount of time and this is extremely useful, especially when your lifestyle is pretty busy.
2. Discretion and Portability
Using a discreet and quiet pump comes in handy if you’re using it in public places or at work. Look for a device that comes with a quiet motor. For stay-at-home moms, these two characteristics might not be essential but they still remain pretty important. Besides being silent, the item should also be compact and lightweight.
3. Ease of Use
The main purpose of using a hands-free breast pump is to enjoy some extra free time. Therefore, it is wise to choose a product that doesn’t require a complex setup.
4. Suction Strength
Naturally, our organisms create the quantity of milk that our babies need. So, I guess Mother Nature is much more precise than we thought. Therefore, you need to find that specific type of pump that mimics your little one’s suction strength. Otherwise, you might deal with delayed letdown.
You can avoid the stress of searching and trying numerous pumps by opting for one that has an adjustable suction strength feature. It is a highly feasible choice for those women who have an underactive letdown.
An adjustable breast pump is also great for new moms who experience postpartum breast engorgement.
5. Expression Technology
Low expression is common right after childbirth and it can continue for a couple of months. Some organisms need a little more time to align with this new life phase and to the baby’s needs. If your budget allows it, you should opt for a pump that comes with two-phase expression technology.
These hands-free breast pumps stimulate milk expression for a couple of minutes which further boosts milk flow. Some of these devices also feature a letdown button that you can use to speed up the pumping process without any pain, whatsoever.
6. Power Source
Before purchasing a hands-free pump, you should first think about the amount of mobility you want to achieve and then buy a product that covers those needs without exceeding your pre-determined budget.
A very small and wireless pump allows you to roam around freely and you can wear it under the nursing bra. These pumps are operated by batteries. At the same time, battery-operated pumps have a lower suction power compared to their electricity-powered alternatives.
It is quite annoying to sterilize or simply clean a complex breast pump model that has multiple removable parts. For that reason, most moms try to keep things simple and choose a device that only has up to 4-5 washable parts. In my opinion, that’s acceptable and manageable.
More than 5 parts that need to be cleaned every time you use the pump just aren’t worth the effort. After all, you will need a practical and functional pump and those attributes shouldn’t come with a high maintenance cost.
FAQs About the Best Hands-Free Breast Pumps
Many people think that wireless and hands-free are the same thing but they are separated by a major difference. Hands-free pumps require you to remain within an area that’s close to the charging electrical outlet during your pumping session. Your hands will be free to read a magazine or read your emails but you cannot roam freely.
Wireless breast pumps go even further in terms of freedom and flexibility. These items are powered by batteries so they don’t have any tubes or wires coming out of them. Still, some of the hands-free pumps available on the market function on batteries, and they are wire-free as well.
Breastfeeding takes between 6 and 8 hours each day during the first months of your baby’s life. Nursing your little one takes a lot of your time and if you use a regular breast pump to collect milk, you will spend even more time being occupied with this nursing-related task.
To regain some of that time back while also reaching your breastfeeding goals, you should definitely consider purchasing a hands-free breast pump. Traditional pumps, even electric ones, require you to plug them into the wall while also holding the cup against your chest during the entire pumping session.
Not having to do that and enjoying hands-free devices will allow you to multitask and you will gain a lot of freedom.
Some insurance companies offer coverage for many types of pumps, including hands-free ones. If your insurer doesn’t have that policy, you should know that many pumps can be transformed into a hands-free tool as long as you use it together with a pumping bra.
The best hands-free pumps don’t necessarily have to be fancy or too complex. They need to be functional so choose the features that you need most carefully. On the other hand, for those of you who have a wider budget, breast pumps with added features and extra convenience are totally worth it.
My favorite hands-free breast pump of all those listed today is definitely the Medela Freestyle option due to its high level of versatility. This pump is covered by most insurers and it is the best choice for multitasking purposes.