- Ubbi vs Diaper Genie: Which Is The Best Diaper Pail? - May 29, 2022
- Similac Advance vs Sensitive – Which Baby Formula Comes Out on Top? - May 26, 2022
- Pampers Cruisers vs Swaddlers Compared  - May 26, 2022
Gender-neutral parenting is now more popular than ever before. If you’re a fan of this trend too, we’re bringing you some fresh inspiration. Our list of 10 best gender-neutral nursery ideas covers all major types of furniture and gear you could possibly look for.
Whether you’re looking for a gender-neutral bassinet, crib, activity gyms, or any other useful furnishings and decorative fittings for your nursery, our tips are here to inspire you and help you make the best decision. But first, before we proceed with the tips, here are some thoughts on the benefits of a gender neutral nursery in general.
- 1 What are The Main Advantages of Gender Neutral Nursery?
- 2 What to Look For With Gender Neutral Nursery?
- 3 10 Best Gender Neutral Nursery Ideas: These Items Will Fit In Perfectly
- 4 1. Lambs and Ivy 4-piece Bedding set – Cozy and beautiful bedding for both genders
- 5 2. Fisher-Price Pacific Pebble Infant-to-Toddler Rocker– Long hours of rocking fun for boys and girls alike
- 6 3. Bubzi Co. Owl Toy White Noise Machine – Calming and beautiful sleep watcher
- 7 4.Dream on Me Chelsea Convertible Crib – 7-in-1 with Stunning Gender-Neutral Design
- 8 5. ZAQI Mobile Wooden Baby Changing Table- Unisex dresser station with cool features
- 9 6. Summer Complete Nursery Care Kit – Everything you need and more
- 10 7. Delta Children Deluxe “Sweet Beginnings” Bassinet – Gorgeous moveable bedside crib for both genders
- 11 8. Skip Hop Silver Lining Cloud Play Mat and Activity Gym – Keep them busy with this fun-packed activity mat
- 12 9. ALVABABY Pack n Play Sheets, 2-piece set – Numerous gender neutral pack n play designs to choose from
- 13 10. Dejaroo Baby Diaper Storage Bin – Stylish and organized
- 14 FAQs
- 15 Conclusion: How to Design the Most Beautiful Gender Neutral Nursery?
What are The Main Advantages of Gender Neutral Nursery?
Team blue, team pink – or neither of them? Parents have many different reasons to opt for a gender-neutral approach to parenting. Some of us simply don’t want to spoil the surprise by finding out our little one’s gender before birth. Others want to make sure that their nursery or stocks of clothes for baby no. 1 can be reused with baby no.2 (or 3).
But the gender-neutral approach can also be a matter of a broader lifestyle and parenting philosophy – maybe you just don’t want your kid to be stuck in a stereotype of their gender role from the very first days.
Here are some of the most valued advantages of arranging your nursery in a gender-neutral style:
If you like to keep your household modern and trendy, the gender-neutral style of your nursery will complement your efforts perfectly. Gender-neutral colors like brown, white, grey, or yellow are now definitely in fashion.
Besides being modern today, this style is also your best bet on the timelessness of your nursery. In general, the more extravagant and distinct something is, the sooner it will usually get out of fashion. Reserved design tends to stay popular for longer. That’s especially important if you want to maintain your nursery for more than one baby.
Yes, despite all the precise equipment and technologies, it really does happen – your doctor is confident that you’re having a little girl, but you end up leaving the hospital with a boy. If something like that happens to you, you’ll be truly glad for having a gender-neutral nursery.
Most of the gender-neutral designs are inspired by nature and look truly beautiful. Our tastes might be individual, but these are the colors and patterns most of us would consider nice at all instances. Besides having a pretty nursery yourself, this might also be useful when you’re planning to resell some of the furniture once you don’t need it anymore – gender-neutral equipment is in general much easier to sell since you can address your advertisement to more target groups.
What to Look For With Gender Neutral Nursery?
If you’ve decided to build your nursery in a gender-neutral style, this will mainly involve the thoughtful selection of neutral colors. Here are some of the popular options you have:
Of course, most of these colors can also be used in combinations, so feel free to match them creatively or choose double-toned patterns.
If you want to take your gender-neutral nursery one step further, don’t focus only on style and colors, but reconsider the gender-neutral functionality of every item you’re planning to buy. For example, if you’re looking for toys or playful fittings such as the merry-go-round or play mat, prefer neutral animal designs (bears, dogs, bees, birds, etc.) to princesses or cars.
Once you’ve decided on the color and preferred design, you can start picking your gender-neutral nursery items very similar to making a standard purchase. Consider quality and safety, because you surely don’t want any of your nursery fittings to be dangerous. Choosing the best, preferably natural materials is a good starting point for achieving the quality and durability you strive for.
Think about the dimensions – or, even better, measure everything precisely to ensure that you’ll be able to move freely around your nursery with the baby in your arms even in the middle of the night. Last but not least, contemplate your budget and try to plan your purchases reasonably, so that you’ll be able to get everything you really need without breaking the bank.
10 Best Gender Neutral Nursery Ideas: These Items Will Fit In Perfectly
1. Lambs and Ivy 4-piece Bedding set – Cozy and beautiful bedding for both genders
Before your little one starts moving around on his or her own, they’re going to spend most of their time resting in their cribs. Make that little nest as cozy and comfortable as it gets with this beautiful 4-piece bedding set with painted designs of rabbits, foxes, bears, and other forest animals.
The set consists of a quilt, crib sheet, crib skirt, and a beautiful wearable blanket, all made of top-quality cotton with polyester features. Toned in cream, sandy, light brown, and grey, this set is 100% gender-neutral. Moreover, it also works as a perfect gift!
- Size: 52 x 28 x 9 inches
- Weight: 4.24 pounds
- 4-piece set including a quilt, crib sheet, wearable blanket, and crib skirt
- Top-quality materials
- Fits most standard cribs (52 x 28 inches)
- Includes everything you need for a cozy crib
- The price is a little steep
- Light colors might be harder to wash in case of stains
2. Fisher-Price Pacific Pebble Infant-to-Toddler Rocker– Long hours of rocking fun for boys and girls alike
Rocker is one of those accessories many parents consider lifesavers. It provides your little one with soothing comfort and playful amusement, and at the same time, it allows him or her to watch the fascinating world around from a convenient, partially upright position.
This lovely gender-neutral rocker from Fisher-Price will suit babies up to 40 pounds/18 kilograms. It has a machine-washable seat pad with a stylized design of pebbles and an overhead rack with toys that motivate motoric development. A must-have for your gender-neutral nursery.
- Size: 24.13 x 5.25 x 13.00 inches
- Weight: 6.8 pounds
- Rocker chair for babies and toddlers with vibrations feature
- Grows with your toddler
- It can be used with babies up to 88.18 lbs
- Removable and machine-washable pad
- Reclines in two positions
- Bigger babies can possibly flip the chair over
- The cushioned pad can move quite easily
3. Bubzi Co. Owl Toy White Noise Machine – Calming and beautiful sleep watcher
Getting your little one into a healthy and natural sleeping routine isn’t always easy. If you’re tired and frustrated from endless rocking, walking, driving, singing, etc., it’s time to try something new. White noise machines can often do wonders to help even the most energetic babies fall asleep fast and peacefully.
Bubzi Co.’s owl looks like a beautiful plush toy, but it hides a little music box with 10 soothing melodies and sounds. These include relaxing lullabies, authentic bird songs, or even mother’s calming heartbeat. Its grey and green design makes this machine a perfect gender-neutral gadget for your nursery.
- Size: 8.5 x 7.2 x 5.24 inches
- Weight: 11.9 ounces
- 10-melodies white noise machine
- Speaker can be removed from the toy to wash the toy properly
- Includes gentle night light with stars projection
- Soft and round with no sharp edges
- Adorable toy-like design
- Night light facing front not upward
- One of the pricier machines on the market
4.Dream on Me Chelsea Convertible Crib – 7-in-1 with Stunning Gender-Neutral Design
Crib is definitely one of the key pieces of furniture in every nursery – and also one of the most expensive ones. If you want to reuse your crib with more than one baby, gender-neutral design is a great idea.
Dream on Me’s Chelsea is a beautiful gray, pinewood 7-in-1 crib that can be converted into a daybed, toddler bed, and standard size bed with height adjustment and some other adaptable features. All Dream On Me cribs comply with every relevant ASTM and CPSC standard, so you can rest assured that your baby will sleep in the safest environment.
- Size: 58 x 29 x 39 inches
- Weight: 37 pounds
- Convertible wooden crib with 7 different settings
- Grows with your baby until adolescence
- Beautiful and original design
- Great value for money
- Can have an unpleasant chemical odor (paint) for a day or two after unpacking
- Some customers reported issues with missing hardware
5. ZAQI Mobile Wooden Baby Changing Table- Unisex dresser station with cool features
No matter how large a nursery you have, saving some of the precious space is always a good idea. Multifunctional furniture such as ZAQI’s changing table is allowing you to replace two, three, or even more fittings with a single convertible piece with multiple functions.
This table has a wooden frame and beautiful padding in yellow tones, so it will look equally good in a girl’s or boy’s nursery. It’s stable and easy to assemble, and your baby will fit on it safely for up to three years. The table can support up to 60 kg, so its stability is really exceptional.
- Size: 24 × 33 × 39 inch
- Weight: 39.7 pounds
- Changing table with a bumper and a bathtub unit
- Thoughtful multifunctional design
- Saves space
- Very stable and safe with higher loads
- Simple assembly
- Height is not adjustable
6. Summer Complete Nursery Care Kit – Everything you need and more
Summer created one of the most complete and comprehensive nursery kits on the market. This 21-piece set includes numerous health care and grooming tools every parent should have at hand. As a nice bonus, everything comes in a compact, gender-neutral design that will perfectly fit in your unisex nursery.
Summer’s kit contains a syringe and pacifier dispenser for convenient and precise medicine dosing, a nasal aspirator to relieve your baby from nasal congestion, two types of thermometers, an emergency card for important contacts, nail clippers, emery boards, teether, brush – you name it. The whole set can also be easily carried along when you’re going on vacation.
- Size: 9.8 x 8.2 x 8 inches
- Weight: 8 ounces
- 21-piece set of grooming and health case accessories
- Compact and travel-ready
- Great value for money
- Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead-Free, and BPA Free.
- Some customers complained about the poorer quality of some of the items
7. Delta Children Deluxe “Sweet Beginnings” Bassinet – Gorgeous moveable bedside crib for both genders
If you want to keep your newborn close to you throughout the night, a portable crib is a great helper. This particular bassinet also comes with a calming night light and relaxing music – a perfect combination for soothing your active baby into a healthy night sleep. There’s also a removable canopy that blocks the light for a comfortable day nap.
Delta’s Deluxe bassinets come in three beautiful designs and all of them will suit your gender-neutral nursery perfectly. You can continue using it until your little one reaches 5 months – or until he or she is able to push on their knees and hands.
- Size: 45 x 17 x 33 inches
- Weight: 10.6 pounds
- Portable crib with canopy, night light, and relaxing music
- Multifunctional crib with light and music
- Convenient canopy for day naps
- Can be used up to 5 months
- Good value for money
- Included fabrics are not the softest
- Assembly is a bit demanding
8. Skip Hop Silver Lining Cloud Play Mat and Activity Gym – Keep them busy with this fun-packed activity mat
When your little one starts to stretch his or her muscles, it’s important to encourage their physical development with suitable play mats and activity gyms. This beautiful product combines both in a universal and gender-neutral design.
Skip Hop’s play mat includes a comfortable ‘tummy time’ pillow for newborn babies and various developmental activities for older babies. It includes LED light and musical components and its toys are made of various textures – this activity gym will simply keep all senses busy.
- Size: 36 x 36 x 19 inches
- Weight: 1.95 pounds
- Multifunctional activity gym for infants and toddlers
- BPA-free, PVC-free, Phthalate-free
- Versatile – grows with your baby
- Quality materials
- Beautiful design with nice details
- More expensive than many similar products
Babies love lots of different activities, and play mats provide so much fun for them. The Skip Hop Play Mat is definitely my favorite, due to the lots of attached toys and softness of the pillows.
9. ALVABABY Pack n Play Sheets, 2-piece set – Numerous gender neutral pack n play designs to choose from
A playpen is a must if you want to move around with your little one freely while providing them with all the comfort and safety they need. But no pack n play is complete without appropriate bedding. ALVABABY created a beautiful collection of pack n play sheets that come in many gender-neutral designs.
Llamas and cactuses, feathers, owls, dreamcatchers – you name it. All made of 100% organic cotton in unisex tones of grey, black and white, yellow, or green. These sheets come with a thick rubber band so they stay in their place all the time. Sold in a set of two, ALVABABY sheets provide good value for money too.
- Size: fits 27 x 39 x 4 inches
- Weight: 9.9 pounds
- 2-piece set of organic cotton playpen sheets
- 100% organic cotton – a healthy and breathable material
- A thick rubber band keeps the sheet in its place
- Good value for money
- Playful and inspirational designs
- Gender neutral pack n play comes in one size only
- Not the softest material for baby sheets
10. Dejaroo Baby Diaper Storage Bin – Stylish and organized
New moms usually describe their first months of motherhood as beautiful and extraordinary, but also chaotic and disorganized. Keeping your baby stuff in order will help you eliminate lots of anxiety – especially in the middle of the night.
Dejaroo’s diaper organizer is a beautiful and handy gadget that will keep your baby’s diapers always at hand. It also comes in a gorgeous gender-neutral design that will perfectly complement your unisex nursery. As a bonus, this embroidered storage bin is made of eco-friendly materials too. Depending on the diaper type and size, you can fit in approximately 20-35 diapers at the same time.
- Size: 12 x 6 x 6 inches
- Weight: 3.52 pounds
- Gender-neutral diaper organizer
- Minimalistic yet decorative design
- Eco-friendly and natural material
- Convenient to carry around the house with you
- Its capacity is rather limited
- Textile material can get easily wrinkled
What is a gender-neutral nursery good for?
The gender-neutral nursery has various advantages. First of all, it’s versatile and timeless – you can use it with several babies in a row, twins with different sexes, or in case that you don’t want to know your little one’s gender in advance. Some parents also like the idea that a unisex environment will allow their baby to develop his or her natural character without being pushed into gender roles.
What is the most gender-neutral color for nursery?
Typical gender-neutral color scheme includes grey, green, yellow, white, cream, beige, brown, or some tones of red. These colors can usually be combined for even more universal patterns and designs. Some parents claim that any color can be gender-neutral if you pick the right tone, so no color is really a taboo in gender-neutral nursery decoration.
How do you decorate a gender-neutral nursery?
Gender-neutral decorations usually come in some of the gender-neutral colors and they also depict or focus on gender-neutral themes that can be equally appreciated by boys and girls. Animals and nature-inspired designs probably represent the most common types of gender-neutral motifs.
Conclusion: How to Design the Most Beautiful Gender Neutral Nursery?
The gender-neutral nursery will provide you with convenience, timeless investment, and preparedness for every situation. But most importantly, a gender-neutral nursery is about the gift of freedom you give to yourself and your little one.
We really hope that our 10 best gender-neutral nursery ideas provide some valuable inspiration for your own nursery decoration. We’ve tried to cover all the important types of furniture and equipment you might be looking for, but don’t hesitate to let us know if we forgot about something you miss in this list.