You can provide your infant with the healthiest and safest start in life by doing a number of things.
One of them is giving your baby a probiotic supplement to make sure her or his gut flora is balanced. In today’s article, I have listed and detailed 7 of the most popular and effective infant probiotics for your child available out there for probiotic supplementation.
*The following probiotic supplements are listed in no particular order. However, I have chosen them based on their level of efficacy, ingredients, active gut bacteria strains content, and consumer reviews.
Jump to a specific section
- What Are the Best Baby Probiotics on the Market? – Top 7 Choices
- 1. Enfamil Infant Probiotics
- 2. GutPRO Infant Probiotic Supplement
- 3. ProBiota Infant Probiotic Supplement by Seeking Health
- 4. Ther-Biotic for Infants Supplement by Klaire Labs
- 5. Children’s Probonix Daily Probiotic
- 6. Infants’ Mylicon Daily Probiotic
- 7. WellBelly for Infants and Kids by WellFuture
- What to Consider Before Choosing the Best Baby Probiotic You Can Afford
- How to Choose a Probiotic for Your Baby
- Why Are Probiotics Good for Babies? – Main Benefits
- Natural Ways to Support Your Newborn’s Gastrointestinal Health
- FAQs About Best Infant Probiotics
- The Best Baby Probiotics – Summing It Up
What Are the Best Baby Probiotics on the Market? – Top 7 Choices
Enfamil recently released their own proprietary probiotic product blend for infants. They offer a variety for either formula-fed babies or breastfed babies (or breast milk infant formula) which is a really nice distinction for dealing with different causes of colic. Enfamil makes one of the best infant probiotics
- BB-12 probiotics designed to soothe colic and support both formula-fed OR breastfed infants (breast milk)
- Supports overall immune health
- Designed as a targeted colic and constipation remedy
- Can be given by spoon OR mixed with baby’s bottle
- NO artificial sweeteners, flavors or silicones
- Affordable at over 20% less expensive than competitors
- Long track record in the infant supplementation space
Enfamil Probiotics Ingredients
The only ingredients in Enfamil’s probiotics are:
- Probiotic blend of Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis
- High oleic sunflower oil
- Vitamin E
2. GutPRO Infant Probiotic Supplement
This is a gentle yet powerful probiotic blend that will help your baby’s digestive system. The formula is free of D-Lactate. GutPRO doesn’t contain potentially allergenic compounds such as dairy and gluten. The formulation was specially created to meet the needs of an infant’s developing gut and gut health.
- Contains no less than 7 different strains of probiotics. However, 50% of the blend is made from Bifidobacterium Infantis which is one of the best probiotic strains for infants
- It is both effective and pure which makes it highly popular in the community of new moms
- All the ingredients are non-GMO and natural. Moreover, GutPRO is free from artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, and other elements like silica, magnesium stearate, and titanium dioxide
- It doesn’t contain inulin nor other prebiotics
- You need to refrigerate the product that comes in the form of powder
- GutPRO is an ATCC-certified probiotic for gut health
- It provides plenty of benefits, and it works great for newborns who deal with issues such as eczemas, allergies, and histamine intolerance
The only ingredients included in this probiotic are those that compose the probiotic blend (that comes with more than 6 billion of CFUs):
- Bifidobacterium Infantis
- Bifidobacterium Longum
- Lactobacillus Salivarius
- Bifidobacterium Llactis
- Bifidobacterium Bifidum
- Lactobacillus Gasseri
- Bifidobacterium Breve
The GutPRO probiotic powder for infants is sold for the price of $99.95 (one container of 30 grams).
3. ProBiota Infant Probiotic Supplement by Seeking Health
This infant probiotic has a great taste, and it is dairy-free, all reasons why it is one of the best infant probiotics. Moreover, the ProBiota Infant Powder absorbs quickly and contains ingredients that infants need in order to fight harmful bacteria and support overall gut health (healthy gut). ProBiota also promotes a healthy immunity development for babies under the age of 2 years old.
- It is a multi-strain probiotic supplement
- Helps your baby’s developing a gastrointestinal system
- Unlike other similar products, this one comes with a more than pleasant taste
- Seeking Health is a trusted supplement brand, and many satisfied consumers recommend their products;
- One single serving comes with more than 5 billion CFUs of both Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus strains
- It doesn’t contain common allergens like fish, nuts, soy, dairy, gluten, and others
- ProBiota has a sweet taste so you can give it to your infant directly
- Also contains inulin, an effective prebiotic, which supports good bacteria
- You don’t need to refrigerate it, and this product has a decent shelf life
- Inulin – a prebiotic
- Lactobacillus strains – casei, gasseri, rhamnosus, paracasei, salivarius
- Bifidobacterium strains – infantis, breve, bifidum, lactis, longum.
4. Ther-Biotic for Infants Supplement by Klaire Labs
This supplement is one of the best baby probiotics on the market. The suggested dosage is one scoop given to your child, once or twice per day (for children who are at least one year old). For babies between 6 and 12 months old, the right dosage is one single scoop per day.
- The formula is a potent yet hypoallergenic one
- This product’s probiotic blend will be easily digested and absorbed by babies
- Contains 10 strains of active probiotics: 5 strains of (live bacteria) Lactobacillus and 5 strains of Bifidobacterium
- The Ther-Biotic for Infants works effectively for infants who suffer from gas reflux, belly pains, and eczema
- For a probiotic, Ther-Biotics has a pretty good taste
- Although it is not the perfect choice if you think about the fact that it requires refrigeration, Ther-Biotic remains a good alternative. It is free from artificial colors and preservatives and promotes a healthy immune system
Ther-Biotic by Klaire Labs comes with 5 billion CFUs. The proprietary blend contains equal parts of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains:
- Lactobacillus species – casei, paracasei, salivarius, rhamnosus, gasseri
- Bifidobacterium species – infantis, lactis, breve, longum, bifidum
There are no other ingredients in this supplement.
You must be careful where you’re purchasing this product from. The reason I am saying that is that Ther-Biotic must always come with an ice pack because it requires refrigeration.
5. Children’s Probonix Daily Probiotic
This probiotic comes in the form of liquid drops, has a grape flavor, and it is good for both infants and kids. The Children’s Probonixis a highly convenient product because it doesn’t require refrigeration. You can give it to your baby as it is by placing the right dosage on the infant’s tongue or by combining it with another liquid.
- Probonix works great for babies with colic issues, gas, constipation, diarrhea, lactose intolerance, asthma, eczema, and other problems
- The manufacturer also markets a children’s advanced formula that’s more powerful than the standard alternative, and it is organic, containing non-GMO ingredients
- This product is manufactured in the USA, in a cGMP facility
- It is free from allergenic compounds such as dairy, soy, gluten, nuts, and others
- Probonix comes with 8 effective probiotic strains, and the stomach easily absorbs the drops
- On the downside, the blend contains stevia which I am not happy with, but it remains a good option to consider, especially if powdered versions are not what you’re looking for
- Fermented probiotics
- Inulin prebiotic
- Tartaric acid
- Natural flavor
- Filtered water
- Monk fruit
6. Infants’ Mylicon Daily Probiotic
This product alleviates symptoms of gassiness by breaking up the gas bubbles that might form in your infant’s gut. These problems can be caused by certain baby formulas or by air swallowing. Before giving the Infant’s Mylicon Drops to your baby, you should shake the bottle very well. It is best to use it after a meal or even before bedtime.
- Supports a healthy digestive system
- Promotes a well-functioning immunity
- Comes with a built-in dropper which makes this supplement highly convenient and easy to use;
- Replenishes the gut with beneficial bacteria (good bacteria)
- Contains non-GMO ingredients
- It is good for both newborns and kids
- Mylicon is a well-known and trusted health supplement brand
- It is free from wheat, soy, nuts, and dairy. This characteristic makes this product a hypoallergenic one
- One billion CFUs of probiotic blend – Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species
- Citric acid
- Vitamin E – preserves the freshness of the product
- Sunflower oil
7. WellBelly for Infants and Kids by WellFuture
This probiotic is working equally effectively for both babies and bigger children. The formula is based on whole foods, and it comes with three important probiotic strains, besides 6 additional ones of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus.
- Provides an impressive amount of CFUs: 9 billion
- Once you open the container, you will have to refrigerate the product
- It can be given directly from the scoop or mixed with a liquid
- WellBelly is free from grain, dairy, and GMO ingredients
- Promotes a healthy immunity as well as properly-functioning digestion
- It is easy to digest
- The product and its formulation are backed by research
- Probiotic blend – Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus paracasei, etc.
- Organic apple fruit powder
- Organic banana fruit powder
What to Consider Before Choosing the Best Baby Probiotic You Can Afford
From my personal experience, I can tell you that, in order to select the most effective and harmless baby probiotic, you should take into consideration the following important factors:
- The probiotic strains included in the formula as well as the diversity of these strains
- Whether or not the supplement contains other ingredients like allergens or fillers
- The product’s level of efficacy
- Ratings and clients’ reviews
How to Choose a Probiotic for Your Baby
- Start by letting the pediatrician know what your plan is before actually giving your baby a probiotic supplement
- Pay close attention to the right dosage. Read the label carefully in order to avoid a potential overdosage
- Feel free to split the daily dosage into smaller servings to give to your infant throughout the day
- Don’t mix multiple supplements. Instead, give your baby one single supplement at a time
- Keep track of your infant’s body changes once you start giving him or her a probiotic supplement. Monitor what happens
- Last but not least, be consistent
Why Are Probiotics Good for Babies? – Main Benefits
When it comes to babies’ overall health, it is crucial for their digestive systems and gut to function properly. Supplementing your infant’s diet with a probiotic might provide the following benefits:
- Boost his or her immunity – around 80% of the human body’s immune system develops in the gut. Therefore, having a balanced and normally-functioning gut flora will help the baby to fight illnesses and lower the risk of chronic body inflammation
- Improving digestion and alleviating reflux, gas, and colic issues – when infants deal with microbiota imbalance, they might develop the following unpleasant symptoms: colic, diarrhea, acid reflux, and even other more serious health problems. Probiotic intake might prevent those conditions
- Helping with eczema and other skin problems – when there’s not a balanced gut flora, the body is more prone to develop skin inflammation and infections. Baby acne and eczema are usually linked to imbalanced gut bacteria. All these issues can be diminished through the consumption of probiotics
- Lowering the risk of obesity – kids with reduced levels of healthy and balanced gut flora might be more vulnerable when it comes to obesity risks. One can lower this risk by introducing probiotics in the child’s diet
Natural Ways to Support Your Newborn’s Gastrointestinal Health
In addition to giving your infant a probiotic supplement, there are also other useful ways in which you can support the baby’s healthy gut flora:
- Breastfeed as long as possible – breastfeeding is the easiest, most natural, and most effective method to make sure your baby has a healthy gut flora. It is the very first type of probiotic that your newborn comes in contact with and which will help him or her to develop the gut lining
- Don’t give your infant antibiotics – these drugs are known for their negative impact on the body’s good gut bacteria. It is true that in certain situations, antibiotics play a life-saving role, but they can also kill gut flora which, in the long-term, causes a lot of harm
- Avoid feeding your baby processed or sugary foods – excess sugar causes fermentation in the gut which further leads to the formation of bad bacteria
- Expose your baby to fresh air – take your baby outdoors more often in order to allow his or her organism to create a stronger and more resilient immune system. Let your kids play outside because this will strengthen their gastrointestinal system
FAQs About Best Infant Probiotics
If you are breastfeeding your little one, she is already getting the necessary probiotics and prebiotics, so there is no need to use probiotics supplements unless medically indicated.
Yes. Probiotics have good bacteria that protect your baby’s gut and they are safe for use even from 0 months. They are usually prescribed after your baby is suffering from colic because they provide relief.
Before deciding to give your baby probiotics it is always better to check the dose with a pediatrician as you can give your baby a much higher than needed dose. The effects of getting too many probiotics in a human body results in increased thirst and constipation, and the same works in little babies too, which is why is always better to consult with a specialist.
No. In fact, they are recommended for daily use as it helps with acid reflux, colic, and also eases the digestive tract.
It is very important to read the label on the probiotics you are giving to your baby, as most of them (but not all) need to be refrigerated because some probiotic bacteria are very sensitive to light, heat, moisture, and oxygen and might not work as expected if they are not kept in the right way.
The Best Baby Probiotics – Summing It Up
I hope my recommendations will help you find the best probiotic supplement for your little one. Being mindful of your infant’s gastrointestinal health will provide him or her with the most essential gift that will benefit the baby in the future as well.
Feel free to share with us the baby probiotic you have been using and tell us how well it has worked for your newborn.