Last Updated on
Although “jogger” is in the name of the Baby Jogger City Mini, the stroller is intended for actual jogging or running, but it is the perfect stroller for using for more extended periods of time while still being lightweight and compact.
While some parents might opt for a simple umbrella stroller for day outings or on family trips when the bulkier strollers won’t do, the City Mini is meant to be a step above that, but not as obtrusive in design.
It’s not meant to replace a jogging stroller you might love, but it does have lockable swivel front wheels, which means that you can keep them locked for longer distances of walking or allow them to remain in the swivel position if you’re navigating through crowds or city streets.
The actual weight of the stroller is less than 19 pounds, so even if your little one decides that he or she wants to walk for a bit, it’s not out of the question to fold up and carry the stroller along with you.
This is especially true, thanks to the City Mini’s one-handed folded that automatically locks it closed in the folded position for easier carrying and transporting. Since it is indeed designed for all day use, the stroller also has a large canopy that provides 50+ UV protection and can be adjusted to your child’s needs as you go.
Speaking of your child’s comfort, the seat reclines to a nearly flat position, all the while being surrounded by breathable mesh that will help them remain as comfortable as possible during stroller rides.
Because you can purchase a car seat adapter separately, your infant can begin using the stroller right away, and it can hold children up to 50 pounds. You can buy it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- It has an adjustable canopy with a peekaboo window and plenty of coverage from the sun.
- The eight-inch wheels are made from EVA tire tread so that they can grip most surfaces with relative ease.
- It has a quick fold technology to make folding and carrying it easier, especially if you don’t have any help.
- It’s also lightweight enough to take with you pretty much anywhere you need to go.
- The decline in the seat goes almost all the way back, making for a nearly flat recline.
- It can be used for children from 5-50 pounds.
- It’s easy to fold up and transport the stroller, even if you’re traveling by plane.
- Since it can be used for children up to 50 pounds, you’ll be able to get literally years of use out of it.
- It’s lightweight enough for almost anyone to fold it and pick it up to put in the trunk or store away, which is especially useful for moms who have had c-sections.
- The basket underneath is roomy enough for the essentials.
- With the mesh opening in the back of the stroller, you can keep an eye on your baby at all times even when he or she is reclined all the way back and napping.
- It can sometimes be difficult to properly steer the stroller, as it might slowly swerve to one side as you go.
- For taller parents, it can be difficult to push the stroller comfortably.
- When going over rougher terrain, the stroller can become more of a bumpy ride and while it isn’t meant for jogging, even walking over more uneven sidewalks can be a struggle.
How Others Compare
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
It also offers a quick and straightforward fold, but unlike the City Mini, the Joovy is indeed a jogging stroller. Because of this, it has 16 inch rear wheels and a 12.5-inch front wheel that are meant to travel over pretty much any terrain.
And thanks to the off-road suspension, the stroller can handle any bumps along the way while keeping your baby or toddler comfortable and at ease.
It also has a large canopy for shelter from the sun and to keep your child comfortable, while the interior mesh pockets can hold any snacks or small toys they might need along the way. You can purchase the stroller on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target.
- The handlebar of the Joovy is taller than that of some other similar strollers, so it’s easier for taller parents to use.
- There’s a lot of leg room, so as your child grows, he or she won’t have to worry about their legs dangling off the front.
- The off-road suspension means you won’t have to worry about bumps or rough roads waking up or disturbing your child as they relax in the stroller.
- Overall, it’s relatively easy to push and steer.
- The wheels have to be inflated, so it’s important to keep up with them, and there is the danger of getting a flat.
- As your child grows, his or her head might start to butt up against the canopy when it’s open.
- The storage basket underneath isn’t as large as some parents might need, especially as it might not even fit all diaper bags.
Britax 2017 B-Agile Lightweight Stroller
It’s not necessarily a jogging stroller by any means, but the Britax 2017 B-Agile Lightweight Stroller is designed for easy maneuvering and is lightweight enough to take on the go and fold up with ease.
In fact, it has a quick one-handed fold so allow you to take it with you wherever you go without the worry of struggling with folding it down when you’re finished with it for the day. And once you fold it down, there’s a handle of sorts to hold on to so you can legitimately carry the stroller with you while also attending to your child.
The actual weight of the stroller is just 18 pounds and it can be used for children from birth all the way up to 55 pounds. You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- It can legitimately fold in half so storing it in your trunk and taking it with you on the go is as easy as possible.
- At under $200, the stroller is affordable for most families, especially since it can be used for children up to 55 pounds.
- It’s easy to maneuver through tight spaces or busy crowds.
- The canopy is extra large, which bodes well for smaller children, who might otherwise have to deal with the sun in their eyes as they sit in the stroller.
- The wheels aren’t as tough as they could be on rough sidewalks or terrain.
- It can be bothersome to deal with the multiple pieces of the buckle when you hold them together to buckle your child in.
- There isn’t a footrest for your toddler on the front of the stroller.
BOB Rambler Jogging Stroller
Unlike the City Mini, the BOB Rambler Jogging Stroller is designed to be a jogger rather than an umbrella stroller alone.
It is, however, lightweight enough to take with you nearly anywhere and put it in your car with ease. It also has a similarly large sun canopy and a nearly flat recline capability in the seat. Judging on which position you have your child in, they can use the stroller from birth up to 75 pounds, which puts it several pounds above most other similar strollers in terms of longevity and the tires are meant to withstand plenty of use.
The tires themselves are 12 inches and filled with air with a suspension system designed to absorb bumpy roads and keep your baby or toddler comfortable and safe during any rides in the stroller. You can purchase it on Amazon or in-store at Target and Buy Buy Baby.
- It has a two-step folding system that makes it easy to fold it down.
- The suspension system offers as much as three inches of travel to ensure a smooth and comfortable ride for your little one.
- There’s also a wrist strap to keep you attached to the stroller at all times and then use as a buckle to keep it closed when folded down.
- Unlike other similar strollers, it can hold children up to 75 pounds.
- Since it is more expensive than the Baby Jogger City Mini, it may be out of the price range for some families.
- With no air pump included, you have to be sure to have your own so the tires don’t go flat.
- No parent tray or console comes with the stroller, which can be a letdown, especially for the cost of the stroller itself.
Chicco Viaro Quick-Fold Stroller
The lightweight frame and easy to fold design make the Chicco Viaro Quick-Fold Stroller accessible for pretty much any parents or caregiver and offers use for children up to 50 pounds.
Since it’s also compatible with Chicco KeyFit and Fit2 car seats with the proper attachment, you can even begin using it right from the time your infant is ready. The front wheel can remain a swivel to help you maneuver through tight spaces or can be locked into place for more extended periods of walking and it even has a suspension to ensure a smooth ride for your child.
Unlike some other similar strollers, the Chicco comes with a snack tray already attached, and you won’t have to worry about removing it every time you fold the stroller down. You can purchase it on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart and Buy Buy Baby.
- The sunshade extends out enough to almost over your child completely, which can not only shield them from the sun but also potentially rain in some cases.
- It’s relatively easy to get car seats in and out of the stroller, so you can start using it right away with no transition from one stroller to another later on down the line.
- While it’s more of a walking stroller than a jogging one, it still has suspension in the front wheel to allow for a smoother ride.
- It folds down compact enough to fit in the trunk of pretty much any car.
- It can be challenging to raise and lower the seat to accommodate your growing child.
- For the most part, the wheels work best when moving over the pavement as opposed to any other terrain.
- When folded up, the stroller doesn’t click closed, so you do run the risk of having it open back up on you.
If you’re looking for a jogging stroller, then the Baby Jogger City Mini isn’t the one for you. But if you’re also hoping to find a stroller that surpasses the simplicity of a regular umbrella stroller and can be used as such, but also on a more longer-term basis, then this might be the perfect stroller for your little one.
It’s designed to withstand long walks and day-long trips out, so you can navigate through crowds or simply allow your baby or toddler to rest comfortably. It’s also lightweight enough for airplanes and general transporting, so if you’re with your child alone, you won’t have to worry about struggling to close or put the stroller in your trunk.
Obviously it’s not going to have every single detail that you might need or want in a stroller, but the Baby Jogger City Mini does have a whole lot to impress you and your little one with and will no doubt provide years of convenient use.