There’s nothing like being able to pick up and cradle your baby in your arms for as long as you want, while getting in some uninterruptible snuggle time, regardless of their age. But when you actually need your hands-free and want to be able to move about, every parent needs a solid baby carrier, like the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier.
Of course, the name might be what initially attracts you to the carrier since Baby Bjorn has been synonymous with comfortable and reliable baby carriers for literally years, but there’s more to the carrier than simply its trusted name.
Using a similar style of the original carrier for the brand, you can use it right from the start, with no infant insert needed, and the fabric used for the carrier is Oeko-Tex Standard 100, class 1 approved, which means that it’s been tested to be free of any harmful agents.
You can start using the carrier for your baby from eight pounds, and keep utilizing it up until your little one has hit that 25-pound mark. While for some, that might be a deal-breaker, it’s also important to understand that at a certain point, it’s uncomfortable for you as the parents to be able to wear your baby or toddler, as much as you might want to.
Once your baby grows out of the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier, you can always graduate to another one more suited for them, but it’s definitely a solid choice for your first ever carrier for your baby.
- You can literally keep your baby close to you since the Baby Bjorn Carrier sits high and keeps your little one high up against your chest.
- The outward-facing position keeps your baby safely nestled against your body while allowing them a little more freedom to see the world while in the carrier.
- There are convenient side buckles to get your baby in and out of the Baby Bjorn without even waking them.
- Overall, it’s very lightweight, which means that there’s less added weight once your baby is in the carrier.
- There are special safety loops for your newborn legs that cater to their smaller size specifically, but can be disregarded as your baby grows.
- It’s easy to strap on the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier, without any complicated straps or buckles that can sometimes make wearing carriers stressful.
- You can use it as either forward-facing or face in toward you.
- As your baby gets older and grows, your neck and back could become sore, as the carrier isn’t meant to be used past 24 pounds.
- There is some air fabric to allow breathability, but it may not be as durable as other thicker fabrics.
- Unfortunately, the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier isn’t designed to place and hold your baby in an ergonomic position.
How Others Compare
Hap Tim Ergo Baby Carrier
Made from a blend of cotton and polyester, the Hap Tim Ergo Baby Carrier offers multiple positions for your baby’s comfort as well as plenty of adjustments to the thick waistband for your own comfort.
Not only that, but it also has added lumbar support to help take any added pressure off of your back or shoulders, and the carrier itself is very lightweight, even though you can use it until your child reaches 44 pounds.
Enjoy it as a facing outward carrier, to opt for inward-facing, backpack carrying, or the unique hip seat, which faces both inward and outward. You can also use the carrier with complete confidence, as the Hap Tim Ergo Baby Carrier was made to pass or exceed all U.S.
Safety standards and offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied with the carrier within 30 days of your purchase.
- The 48 inch thick lumbar support waistband can be adjusted to fit both you and your partner, making it easier to share the carrier.
- Overall, it’s a sturdy and comfortable carrier for both you and your little one, which is important, aside from the safety, which is, of course, the most important feature to consider.
- It’s not too difficult to use the carrier during multiple seasons, as the breathable 3D mesh air panel can be zipped down to allow airflow or zipped up to help keep your baby warm.
- Although there is a breathable material, it might feel a little rough to some users.
- The plastic parts of the carrier appear to be made without heavy use in mind, so they run the risk of breaking more easily.
- The waistband needs to be worn extra low in order to offer lower back support, and for some, that may be uncomfortable as well.
BabySteps 6-In-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier
One of the most important things to look for in a good carrier is an ergonomic design, which is beneficial to both you and your little one. With the BabySteps 6-In-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier, that’s clearly what you get.
You can use the carrier front inward facing at 3 months old, and then front-outward at six months, with the single strap carrier at at least three months of age, and the hip seat and back carrying positions utilized at six months old at minimum.
The waistband, which is a thick band and allows for the important ergonomic design, can be adjusted up to 48.8 inches and can be used for babies and toddlers from three to 36 months of age, or between eight and 44 pounds. Plus, it has organic cotton and soft polyester fabric that make for a breathable carrier that your baby isn’t likely to overeat if you use it for long periods of time.
- The carrier helps balance your little one’s weight as you wear them in it against your body, while keeping pressure off your own shoulders and back.
- If desired, you can use just the belt and hip seat for your toddler instead of the entire carrier, which can be a nice change.
- There’s also a small storage pouch on the front of the carrier, should you need to store your phone, keys, wallet, or a snack or two.
- For some, it may be difficult to put on and adjust all of the straps, especially those in the back.
- Since the waistband is Velcro, you do run the risk of it losing its effectiveness over time.
- It isn’t recommended that you start using the BabySteps 6-In-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier until around the three-month mark.
Fresh Shine Baby Carrier
With the Fresh Shine Baby Carrier, you have three different ways you can carry your baby or toddler. You can do front carrying with baby facing in at around four or five months old, then front carrying with baby facing out at around six months old at least, and finally back carrying at eight months to two years old.
This, of course, means that you can get plenty of use out of the carrier and use it for your child’s toddler years as well, which is simply an added bonus.
With ample pockets, you should have more than enough room for your essentials as you use the carrier and you can also take comfort in the fact that it’s made with materials meant to be comfortable and breathable for your little one.
The shell inside is made from 100% cotton, while the mesh in the lining i also made from 100% cotton and the webbing is polyester.
- Being able to use the carrier for so long with a price that’s well below even $50 is a huge deal and a rarity as well.
- Neither you nor your baby will feel particularly hot or weighed down with the Fresh Shine Baby Carrier.
- With the Velcro and also clips, straps, and buckles, you’re likely to feel very secure with your baby in the carrier.
- Although the waistband is designed to give extra support, some might find that it’s almost awkward when strapped and buckled into place.
- It might not fit as comfortably or as well for men, which can be unfortunate if you have a male partner who would also like to be able to use the carrier.
If the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier isn’t for you, there are tons of other carriers under the same brand that might work better for your family, but the great thing about this particular option is that it’s smaller, lighter, and can be the first one you will use.
Sure, you may have to upgrade to another one as your baby grows older, but that’s also why the Baby Bjorn Spirit Carrier is so affordable, as well as easy to put on each time.
At the end of the day, the decision is going to be yours alone to make, but it’s still a solid choice, and most parents have to admit that you can never really go wrong with a Baby Bjorn, as the brand itself as a reputation that’s hard to ignore or surpass.