Last Updated on
At some point, your baby is going to get a diaper rash, and there are two top creams that are going to find their way into your shopping basket: Desitin and Aquaphor. Both are solid options for treating dry skin and rashes on babies’ sensitive skin, but, since they’re both so popular and well-liked on their own, you’re going to be wondering which is better — Aquaphor or Desitin? The great news is that even after your baby’s rash has cleared up; you can continue to use the creams for other dry or chapped skin and minor burns outlined in the specific uses for each cream. But since the whole idea here is to figure out which is better overall, it’s important to look at Desitin and Aquaphor closely before making a decision either way.
Aquaphor, for example, is often recommended to use on newborn’s sensitive skin before all else and certainly before eventually transitioning to Desitin later on down the road. Then again, Desitin comes in a variety of different specific options to help your little one’s skin, regardless of whether or not it’s extra sensitive or dry. Aquaphor, however, also comes in a variety of different sizes, so you can keep a small tub at home and keep a tube of it in your diaper bag for use as needed. It’s also not a bad solution for your own dry or chapped hands, though the same goes for Desitin.
All in all, both Desitin and Aquaphor are great for your infant and even for your toddler if needed. But, if you want to pick just one, then you’ll need to look at them both from all possible sides.
Fragrance free formula with Panthenol and Glycerin.
For dry chapped skin, minor burns, scrapes, and cuts in all ages.
It heals the skin, but the major result is seen after a week.
Aquaphor Healing Ointment isn’t meant for babies alone, but, dermatologists recommend it as a top cream for dry chapped skin. It’s formulated to not only nourish the skin and also heal it over time. This is thanks to the added Panthenol and Glycerin which both moisturize and eventually help to heal the skin. Whether your little one has a rash or simply dry skin due to the changing weather patterns, Aquaphor is meant to relieve it while also helping to protect your baby’s skin against future cracked or dry skin. At the same time, however, the ointment can soothe minor burns, scrapes, and cuts that you or your baby might get.
If used ahead of cold wind during the winter, Aquaphor can help protect against the effects ahead of time. Other than diaper rash, another common skin irritation your little one might get involves rash associated with excessive drool. And when used on the lower half of your baby’s face, Aquaphor can help soothe the rash that inevitably follows. It’ also fragrance-free, which can sometimes be difficult to find in a useful baby lotion or ointment and in being without added fragrances, there’s less of a chance of further irritation. Overall, Aquaphor is suitable for not only your little one, but the whole family, and that may be where its greatest strength is.
- Available Sizes: Aquaphor comes in a .25 ounce mini jar, .35 ounce tube, 1.75-ounce tube, 3.5-ounce jar, seven-ounce tube, and 14-ounce jar.
- Active Ingredients: It’s made with Panthenol and Glycerin to moisturize the skin, as well as 41% Petrolatum to help in healing.
- Price: On Amazon, a 14-ounce tub of Aquaphor is $11. Check out the latest prices on Amazon.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no recent, or current recalls on Aquaphor.
- It isn’t the best treatment for diaper rash, but it can be used as a reliable barrier on the skin to work in preventing diaper rash.
- When using Aquaphor, a little goes a long way, so even a small tube can last a long time.
- Not only is it suitable for rashes, but also minor scrapes and burns, which is important for little ones on the move.
- Overall, it works relatively quickly, and you can even see results after a week of use.
- It does feel almost a little greasy to some, which can make it feel like Vaseline at first.
- Although it’s made for diaper rashes too, it isn’t as effective as some other diaper rash creams.
- It may feel a little sticky to the touch, even after you’ve rubbed it in.
“If you have dry and cracked feet, this stuff is amazing. I use it about twice a week. Generously lather it on your feet, then put on a pair of white socks for several hours. If you are going to do a lot of walking, do this before you head out. You’ll feel like you’re walking on pillows.” – Debora K. Dempsky on Amazon.
“Out of all of the many brands and types of diaper cream, this is our number one. It has so many more uses than just for the bum, it can be applied to the skin for soothing eczema and so many other things. This also was the only thing that helped our daughters stubborn diaper rash (even more than the extra strength version of other brands). The consistency is excellent and similar to Vaseline which makes it very easy to apply too.” – Melissa Ruotolo on Amazon.
“Love this product — it feels great on my skin, and it helps with healing rashes because it stops the itching. For my skin, I have to reapply after about eight hours, and before going to sleep. Small price to pay to stop feeling itchy. Also is much cheaper than most other skin creams.” – Harry Samuels on Amazon.
“As a mother of an infant with eczema, I praise God for Aquaphor! Whatever skin thing he’s got going on (eczema, diaper rash, dry patch, etc) I just slather Aquaphor on it and it’s almost always better by the next morning! I find it best for diaper rash prevention for overnight diaper wearing. The tub is much easier to use than the squirt bottles too — less mess!” – Allison S. on Amazon.
Desitin Diaper Rash Creamis easily one of the more recognized brands when it comes to baby rash creams and there are a few choice reasons for that. According to Desitin, it’s actually the number one choice for both pediatricians and moms for little ones who need it for rashes and dry skin. It’s made especially for the tender and sensitive skin of babies and toddlers. Although parents can use it for themselves if need be, it’s also important to note that since Desitin is made just for babies, it’s a solid option for your own little one.
Not only will moisturize and add a protective barrier on the skin after use, but Desitin will also reduce the redness and irritation that come with rashes or dry skin. By using the cream on your baby’s afflicted area, Desitin can help seal out wetness after smoothly gliding it on your baby’s skin. And in case you need added proof of its usefulness, according to Desitin, 90% of babies with diaper rash involved in a study felt relief within 12 hours of using the cream. That definitely speaks for itself and makes for what may be one of the more reliable diaper rash creams out there. The consistency may be a little different than that of Desitin, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less effective or useful as a whole.
- Available Sizes: Desitin comes in a two-ounce tube, four-ounce tube, and 16-ounce tub.
- Active Ingredients: It includes Zinc Oxide to help prevent and treat rashes and slight wind burns on the skin.
- Price: On Amazon, a 16-ounce tub of Desitin is $13.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Target.
- Has This Item Been Recalled?: There are no current or recent recalls on Desitin.
- Since it’s a thick cream, it can provide instant relief for some babies with diaper rash.
- You also don’t need to use a whole lot, so a little bit does go a long way, as with the Aquaphor.
- If applied daily, Desitin can essentially keep diaper rashes away as well as treat them.
- It can also help soothe and reduce dry or chapped skin in babies and toddlers.
- It can be difficult to get excess Desitin off your hands after applying it.
- Some parents may not enjoy the smell, which can be a little strong at times.
- It can also be a little messy since it needs to be spread far and wide to really use it all.
“This stuff works so well on diaper rash. The extra strength works better, but is so thick. This is a really good balance of healing and thin enough to spread where needed. I like the big tub so i can dip in a finger without having to squeeze a tube. We keep this right next to the wipes for easy access.” – Liz S. on Amazon.
“This is the only brand I trust. And i have been using Desitin products on every baby I’ve had for over 18 years. I have tried other products but nothing really compares to this. It works fast to clear up redness and diaper rash. The key is to apply at every diaper change while redness and diaper rash is present. It works for adults too.” – Bonnie Miller on Amazon.
“For our baby, this has worked much better than other well-rated zinc oxide creams (specifically, Mustela Vitamin Barrier and Triple Paste Medicated) to the extent that diaper rashes of any significance have become a thing of the past. The 16 ounce tub is convenient for use beside the changing table and lasts for several months.” – S. Marloe on Amazon.
“This has been the best when it comes to bum protection! We tried other brands and they either did nothing or contributed to the problem. Not sure why some babies take to certain brands over others, but this rapid relief version has been super helpful. It really seems to reduce redness and eliminate diaper rash in a matter of hours.” – Stephanie Warneke on Amazon.
Aquaphor and Desitin are both useful for babies with diaper rash or otherwise dry skin. But, at the end of the day, the stronger option is going to be Aquaphor. It’s the perfect solution for diaper rashes in newborns specifically, but it can be used pretty much anytime you need it for dry, chapped, or windburned skin.
Aquaphor also works wonders in creating a barrier over the skin to keep moisture out. Yes, Desitin is also useful in that area, but Aquaphor has a decidedly less oily consistency. It is more of an ointment than an actual cream like eh thick white cream of Desitin, but Aquaphor can be stretched to use for a long time, giving you plenty of use out of the smallest tube even.
You can’t go wrong with Aquaphor or Desitin, to be honest. They’re both at the top of their game for treating and even preventing diaper rash. Yes, it may be better to go with the Aquaphor in this instance, but, if you find that it doesn’t work good enough for your baby specifically, then there’s always a solid backup option in Desitin. If you’re looking for the right diaper rash and dry skin cream for your baby for use right from the start, then you just can’t go wrong with Aquaphor.